Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Trapezium Dave posted:

If Julie Bishop is out and the election goes as badly for the Liberals as projected, who will they have left to be opposition leader?

It doesn't have to be anybody important or with long-term prospects. Their first leader after Howard lost government was Brendan Nelson, so if Kevin Andrews or Greg Hunt or some other also-ran took over I wouldn't be surprised.

It's very rare for the first leader after government to win back government. Shorten looks set to do it in 2019 (assuming you ignore Bowen's interim term) but the only other person who came close post-WW2 was Beazley in 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Abbott, opposition leader for life.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Libs have a tendency to put someone disposable in after an election loss while they engage in gladiatorial combat to find the One True Leader. It would have been a good thing for Abbott to have lost, they've basically avoided facing what they should have back then for a decade and now it's so much worse.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
And Labor's infighting during government was almost all personality driven so when Rudd left most of the problems went away too.

The Libs don't have that luxury, because there is a huge internal division on ideological grounds.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-20/powerhouse-museum-to-stay-in-ultimo-under-nsw-labor/10730176

quote:

Sydney's Powerhouse Museum would remain at its Ultimo home under a Labor plan that also promises a new $500 million museum for the city's west.

In what he described as his "first big announcement of the election campaign", Opposition leader Michael Daley today revealed the museum would not be relocated if he won the state election.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Good riddance to O'Dwyer, she was the epitome of the type of politician who can never give a straight answer - her television appearances were always infuriating for that reason.

Watch her get a column next to Vanstone in the papers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Good riddance to O'Dwyer, she was the epitome of the type of politician who can never give a straight answer - her television appearances were always infuriating for that reason.

Watch her get a column next to Vanstone in the papers.

I don't think she'll bother with that since I'm certain there will be ten board positions waiting for her at $70k a throw.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

He's got a good chance of losing his seat.

Especially now since the boundaries have been changed and I get the chance to vote him out :)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
LOTO Christopher Pyne

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

You Am I posted:

He's got a good chance of losing his seat.

Especially now since the boundaries have been changed and I get the chance to vote him out :)

last I checked you'd need a 9% swing to gently caress him over.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And Labor's infighting during government was almost all personality driven so when Rudd left most of the problems went away too.

The Libs don't have that luxury, because there is a huge internal division on ideological grounds.

Abbott and Barnaby are literally sitting behind the lib front benchers, sharpening their BIC pens into makeshift shivs.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

28766f69642a2930 posted:

LOTO Christopher Pyne

That would be worth putting $5 on I reckon.

He's a smug fuckwit, but imagine how drat happy he would look sat in that chair.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It doesn't have to be anybody important or with long-term prospects. Their first leader after Howard lost government was Brendan Nelson, so if Kevin Andrews or Greg Hunt or some other also-ran took over I wouldn't be surprised.

It's very rare for the first leader after government to win back government. Shorten looks set to do it in 2019 (assuming you ignore Bowen's interim term) but the only other person who came close post-WW2 was Beazley in 1998.

Brendan Nelson was a sacrificial lamb. At th etime the anti-Howard/anti-Lib feeling was so great that whoever they put in that position would be hated. Also, given Rudd was voted in to do the 3 big things, (say Sorry, kill WorkChoices, and sign Kyoto), and how popular those 3 things were at the time and how much the Libs were opposed to them, they needed to put someone in to be BOOed, and then replaced with someone more palatable/electable.

Whilst I can see a huge swing against the LNP, people don't hate ScoMo the way they hated Howard. We had years to build up a hatred for that weasally fucker, and ScoMo just hasn't had enough time in charge for the Australian people to get to develop a true distaste for the man.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I dunno I reckon the first part of that ALP Conference ScoMo video played across the airways would get him hated very quickly.

ALP already has a pretty good read on the guy.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Anidav posted:

I dunno I reckon the first part of that ALP Conference ScoMo video played across the airways would get him hated very quickly.

ALP already has a pretty good read on the guy.

Which video?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Brendan Nelson was a sacrificial lamb. At th etime the anti-Howard/anti-Lib feeling was so great that whoever they put in that position would be hated. Also, given Rudd was voted in to do the 3 big things, (say Sorry, kill WorkChoices, and sign Kyoto), and how popular those 3 things were at the time and how much the Libs were opposed to them, they needed to put someone in to be BOOed, and then replaced with someone more palatable/electable.

Downer was put in for similar reasons but there's an important factor you're missing, and that's the factional reason. The (NSW) Right have been in control of the party for decades, and when they need a sacrificial lamb, it's always a moderate. Though 28766f69642a2930 is somewhat joking about Pyne, he's very much the perfect candidate to be erected out front while the Right do the only thing it's good at, stabbing its enemies in the back. But they're running out of people.

We may be witnessing the last gasp of this tactic, but who knows what depths of stupidity they'll sink to? Either the party splits or deals with its Right rump. I don't know how they'd do that.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Amethyst posted:

Which video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soZjCrnkKHs

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/1086778710051581952

This ad didn't even play here

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Meme War 2019 Veteran

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Rita Pinahi is the new co-host on Outsiders.

Try getting HER fired leftailures :smuggo:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

this made me sign up again

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
3:30 video, didn't directly address the environment once

Voting 1 Sex pests yet again

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
First time in a while watching free to air tv and holy gently caress the Clive Palmer ads. Seems like there's two or three each ad break

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
It's a bit hosed up how desperately the guy wants to be perceived as Trump

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Perfect in every way

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

hambeet posted:

this made me sign up again

Same.
----

Thank you for applying to join the Australian Labor Party. The strength of our Party is the strength of numbers — the thousands of Australians who are active, committed members.

Your next step is to join your local ALP branch, or get involved in a local campaign. Simply contact our office on 07 3844 8101 or email info@qld.alp.org.au and we can provide you with details of your local branch or campaign and assist you with any queries you may have.

This email does not confirm that payment has been processed. You will receive a separate email once your payment has gone through.

Your online application for membership will be formally considered at the next meeting of the ALP’s Administrative Committee. The Committee meets on the second Monday of each month. You will receive more information shortly after that meeting.

Welcome! We are excited to have you as a part of our movement to make make real change, and make the lives of Queenslanders better.

Kind regards,
The team at Party Office.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
loving hell I can't wait to put this government out of its misery.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Video would have been super great had it not ended the well done scare campaign with Running Bill Shorten. Just cut it off before any pro ALP stuff and throw it on the air waves.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gridlocked posted:

Video would have been super great had it not ended the well done scare campaign with Running Bill Shorten. Just cut it off before any pro ALP stuff and throw it on the air waves.

You need to tell people what to do about it.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

JBP posted:

They didn't mention voting for The Greens???

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP posted:

Indeed,

To vote Liberal!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Question that sounds bad but I don’t understand why the media aren’t being (as) poo poo in this particular instance.

They guy arrested for the rape and murder of this poor student in Bundoora looks like he is of indigenous background and in a couple of articles says he has “family in cape York”.

Why isn’t the media beating the ethnic drum in this case? Surely if he was Muslim or Sudanese it’d be mentioned everywhere.

Is it just the wrong type of black and crime to match? Vilify indigenous Australians for being drunk or unemployed, muslims for rape crimes and terrorism etc
Edit- just to make it clear obviously I’m not saying they should make it a factor I just expect dumb poo poo from them now

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

28766f69642a2930 posted:

LOTO Christopher Pyne

Pyne is the standardbearer of the small l liberals, I don't think he could get off the ground

Frydenberg is my guess

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

teacup posted:

Question that sounds bad but I don’t understand why the media aren’t being (as) poo poo in this particular instance.

They guy arrested for the rape and murder of this poor student in Bundoora looks like he is of indigenous background and in a couple of articles says he has “family in cape York”.

Why isn’t the media beating the ethnic drum in this case? Surely if he was Muslim or Sudanese it’d be mentioned everywhere.

Is it just the wrong type of black and crime to match? Vilify indigenous Australians for being drunk or unemployed, muslims for rape crimes and terrorism etc
Edit- just to make it clear obviously I’m not saying they should make it a factor I just expect dumb poo poo from them now

I imagine because it's tricky to deport Indigenous Australians. That leaves 'they are born criminals' which might be a bridge too far even for the wingnut media.

E: I mean they could say this sort of thing happens because of systemic racism which denies them opportunities and services but hahahahaha I'm talking about wingnut media here.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Turks posted:

They didn't mention voting for The Greens???

The party of rape and gaffs don't feel right to me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The indigenous kid raped and murdered an Arab so it's a wash to the media.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

The party of rape and gaffs don't feel right to me.

That's because it's "gaffes"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've clearly never been fishing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017