Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sindai posted:

I think Murata and ONE just got overly caught up in the chance to draw a giant robot fight with that one

I will defend anyone who sees a chance to make a Giant Robo reference and takes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I honestly had no problem with the Child Emperor fight. At least until I could contrast it to this chapter.

drat Zombieman is a neat hero.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Drunk Theory posted:

I honestly had no problem with the Child Emperor fight. At least until I could contrast it to this chapter.

drat Zombieman is a neat hero.

You have to win every time.

He just has to win once.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

So I guess zombieman has superhuman strength, that's new. I thought he was more or less a normal human strengthwise, but that he was always armed to the teeth.

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
Humans can be stupid strong, but it ain't good for the body.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

So I guess zombieman has superhuman strength, that's new. I thought he was more or less a normal human strengthwise, but that he was always armed to the teeth.

maybe he can just overexert himself since he's immortal

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

Probably about as strong as Glasses.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
According to Child Emperor's mask, even a phony like Darkness Blade is almost at the strength of a bear, I'm guessing it has to do with their willpower. Stinger is considerably stronger than a bear, and Child Emperor is stronger than Stinger.

I'm assuming Zombieman as an S-Class who is a scientific experiment, is relentless which consistently is shown as a source of strength, and looks considerably more worked out than Darkness Blade or Stinger, is way way stronger than either of those, but not near the same level of say Watchdog Man.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
He’s officially supposed to be the weakest S-Rank, so I think it really is that he’s not stronger than a normal human but his regen is so insane that you’ll eventually just burn out trying to keep him down.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

There's of course the sheer power of regeneration, but there's also a bit more to Zombieman. His entire fighting style is all about not being stopped, ever. Those monsters who talked about just holding him down? You just can't do that with Zombieman, he always turns every setback into a new attack. Think of that time where his neck got broken, and his immediate response was start firing even as his head is still at 180 degrees. The true ingenuity isn't just being immortal, it's also being absolutely relentless at all times.

I like that guy

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

He’s officially supposed to be the weakest S-Rank, so I think it really is that he’s not stronger than a normal human but his regen is so insane that you’ll eventually just burn out trying to keep him down.

Yeah, in an earlier chapter is mentioned that he fought a single monster for -I don't remember how many- hours till defeat it.

Edit: Found it, 140 hours

Captain Quack fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 20, 2019

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Last Celebration posted:

he bent an iron bar, thats superhuman

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

he bent an iron bar, thats superhuman

People, or strong people at least, can do crazy poo poo like that when high on adrenaline and ignoring any injuries to their body though, right? I imagine that's how Zombieman works.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I mean normal human by OPM standards seems to still be pretty strong. And being the weakest S-class isn't a bad thing when even a kid is stronger than a full grown bear.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Edit: NVM, nothing new to add.

Good chapter

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

owl milk posted:

People, or strong people at least, can do crazy poo poo like that when high on adrenaline and ignoring any injuries to their body though, right? I imagine that's how Zombieman works.

I think between all the interviews, the niconico interview, the VGS, the audio dramas, there's enough vsbattles material coming from the creators that it shows they're very serious about making the power levels of OPM make sense within the context of its own universe and give the readers a solid basis for comparison since there are so many characters in this manga about a guy one-shotting monsters.

ONE puts a shitload of time and effort into making OPM consistent, although OPM is a joke manga the joke would pretty much be lost if there wasn't consistency in it and Murata's version is considerably less abridged in the shounen department. Apparently ONE put 10 hours just into the summary for the VGS script (an audio book that presents "what if" scenarios,). For example, Zombieman can defeat Carnage Kabuto even though Genos who reliably loses over dozens of times and Metal Bat can't. There's a joke about how the simulation can't account Metal Bat's "fighting spirit" but the point is that as long as Zombieman finds an opening he can do more destruction than all the really explosive power of Genos, one of the more powerful S-class allows.

They go into vast lengths to show these super heroes doing superhuman things because they're superhuman. In this very chapter, the monsters assumed that they'd be able to overwhelm him because logically they should be able to, even if he's capable of regenerating himself - they were wrong. I would imagine given the scores in the databook, how much time ONE puts into those things, and the general scale of power, that Zombieman is still in the "way stronger than a bear" department.

It's pretty weird because I have the distinct impression that OPM is one of the mangas with the better defined range of powers and that ONE and Murata who's a huge nerd at this point have a very defined notion of where each hero sits. It helps that there's also very little power creep in it, which is pretty unique among shounen/seinen action series. All Genos upgrades amount to very little compared to a villain that was used to set up the joke about Saitama's origins and his worry for sales.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elentor posted:

I think between all the interviews, the niconico interview, the VGS, the audio dramas, there's enough vsbattles material coming from the creators that it shows they're very serious about making the power levels of OPM make sense within the context of its own universe and give the readers a solid basis for comparison since there are so many characters in this manga about a guy one-shotting monsters.

ONE puts a shitload of time and effort into making OPM consistent, although OPM is a joke manga the joke would pretty much be lost if there wasn't consistency in it and Murata's version is considerably less abridged in the shounen department. Apparently ONE put 10 hours just into the summary for the VGS script (an audio book that presents "what if" scenarios,). For example, Zombieman can defeat Carnage Kabuto even though Genos who reliably loses over dozens of times and Metal Bat can't. There's a joke about how the simulation can't account Metal Bat's "fighting spirit" but the point is that as long as Zombieman finds an opening he can do more destruction than all the really explosive power of Genos, one of the more powerful S-class allows.

They go into vast lengths to show these super heroes doing superhuman things because they're superhuman. In this very chapter, the monsters assumed that they'd be able to overwhelm him because logically they should be able to, even if he's capable of regenerating himself - they were wrong. I would imagine given the scores in the databook, how much time ONE puts into those things, and the general scale of power, that Zombieman is still in the "way stronger than a bear" department.

It's pretty weird because I have the distinct impression that OPM is one of the mangas with the better defined range of powers and that ONE and Murata who's a huge nerd at this point have a very defined notion of where each hero sits. It helps that there's also very little power creep in it, which is pretty unique among shounen/seinen action series. All Genos upgrades amount to very little compared to a villain that was used to set up the joke about Saitama's origins and his worry for sales.

That same audio drama has Saitama wonder why Genos thinks he'd have any trouble fighting his past self. As in his one day past self.

This has... remarkable possible implications.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Elentor posted:

For example, Zombieman can defeat Carnage Kabuto even though Genos who reliably loses over dozens of times and Metal Bat can't.

Kabuto rampages for one week. Then he's all worn out, and Zombieman fights back.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elfface posted:

Kabuto rampages for one week. Then he's all worn out, and Zombieman fights back.

ONE also stated that Zombieman can die if reduced to a mince, and Kabuto's durability should be well above and beyond what an average person can deal with since I doubt his guns are still functional after one week of being smashed or are more powerful than Geno's arsenal, none of which did anything to hurt him.

Regeneration/stamina aside, Zombieman has to be at least strong enough to deal with a horde of monsters who think overwhelming him is a viable strategy, Kabuto's rampage, and actually hurt Kabuto. All of these are way past casually bending a metal bar while tired which I already would not classify as human strength. I mean, come on.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
blah blah THIS PAGE IS AWESOME:
https://mangadex.org/chapter/523720/8

it's John Wick-esque bad assry that makes him amazing.

When this ends, he will have the highest kill count for sure.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

chiasaur11 posted:

That same audio drama has Saitama wonder why Genos thinks he'd have any trouble fighting his past self. As in his one day past self.

This has... remarkable possible implications.

Am I understanding this correctly in saying that Saitama thinks he could easily beat the day befores Saitama, who could easily beat the Saitama of the day before that etc?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Someone on these forums once said that OPM is like dragon ball z in that every arc something a million times stronger comes along. Like how super saiyan 2 is far stronger than super saiyan 1. Except in OPM, it’s just the villains that keep powering up and saitama is the same bored self.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't Zombieman say that fighting is not his specialty, that it's investigative work?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Mraagvpeine posted:

Didn't Zombieman say that fighting is not his specialty, that it's investigative work?

He's gotta be a *really* good detective, if that's how he sells his fighting!

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Am I understanding this correctly in saying that Saitama thinks he could easily beat the day befores Saitama, who could easily beat the Saitama of the day before that etc?

Obviously. That Saitama of yesterday is missing 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, 10 kilometers and a banana. Clearly a world different.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm not sure. It's just one line, (Translation I found said it was Saitama saying "Why would I ever lose to myself from yesterday?") and it's possible he was just referring to how the simulation couldn't capture his full abilities, but it's certainly how Genos understood it.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Also,

Edit:

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 21, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

graham cracker posted:

He's gotta be a *really* good detective, if that's how he sells his fighting!

Compare and contrast his fighting style with other S Class heroes. He has no fancy techniques, he has mundane gadgets (some of which he can only use because he regenerates) and his only gimmick is not dying from anything short of a critical existence failure. And he pretty much just relies on that to win all of his fights.

As a fighter he's not great and he knows it.

But oh man, as an investigator that doesn't die when shot/exploded/taking a long walk off a short pier with cement shoes/etc. he's probably pretty great. He doesn't seem to lose any memories/cognitive abilities despite regenerating brain tissue either! How can you stop an investigator who's doggedly persistent and doesn't die!?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Last one for now, I promise: https://imgur.com/a/3PATKUz

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 21, 2019

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm not sure. It's just one line, (Translation I found said it was Saitama saying "Why would I ever lose to myself from yesterday?") and it's possible he was just referring to how the simulation couldn't capture his full abilities, but it's certainly how Genos understood it.

It seems completely obvious, not just for saitama but for everybody in the world. Why would the you from yesterday be stronger than the you today?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

It seems completely obvious, not just for saitama but for everybody in the world. Why would the you from yesterday be stronger than the you today?

Because yesterday you weren't nursing a hangover. Because yesterday you were on an adrenaline high. Because yesterday was just one of those days when things broke your way.

Even aside from the fact muscles and skills can decay when unused, most people have enough other factors in play that their actual training and muscle growth day to day is covered up by random factors so that the changes are only seen long term.

Saitama being able to easily kick his rear end from just a day ago reliably is something else.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Because yesterday you weren't nursing a hangover. Because yesterday you were on an adrenaline high. Because yesterday was just one of those days when things broke your way.

Even aside from the fact muscles and skills can decay when unused, most people have enough other factors in play that their actual training and muscle growth day to day is covered up by random factors so that the changes are only seen long term.

Saitama being able to easily kick his rear end from just a day ago reliably is something else.

stop overanalyzing it, this isn't reality. to a shonen person who trains/practices every day of course the you from yesterday is weaker than the you now.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's pointed out multiple times in that audio drama how the simulation is inaccurate and misleading so I wouldn't look into it too deeply. Especially since the last time Saitama was analyzed by a power-detecting gadget it broke.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ONE is trying to make power levels into a joke, essentially.

Which will never work because power levels are already a bad joke.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well that can't be right.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I liked the part in this chapter when Zombieman notices Child Emperor is doing well with a smile on his face, like he's proud of the little guy.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Zombieman is cool and all but I want to see the huge black overly positive muscle man use his muscles to muscle monsters to death

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Zombieman Spin off Comic When?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Seconding the resident evil vibes as well. Zombieman seems like what would have happened if the t-virus was a success. He's ike Wesker without the evil / physical mutations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Collapsing Farts posted:

Zombieman is cool and all but I want to see the huge black overly positive muscle man use his muscles to muscle monsters to death

ya where is the superalloy and mizuki muscle chapter