Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MisterBibs posted:

This was my inspiration for the question, actually. I saw that and thought it was a case of Murphy lying his metal rear end off, but then I recalled the Robot With Murphy's Face thing.

Pretty sure he was lying, so his wife would finally let him go, and start a new life for herself and their son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

Pretty sure he was lying, so his wife would finally let him go, and start a new life for herself and their son.

And thus ended the only decent storyline in RoboCop 2.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

According to Wikipedia, the first major novelisation of a Hollywood movie was apparently King Kong.

That's fascinating, King Kong is pretty meta in a lot of ways.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's fascinating, King Kong is pretty meta in a lot of ways.

I thought King Kong was WETA?

I'll see myself out... :ughh:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Booooo!!!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Davros1 posted:

This is 100% what is happening. Robocop 2 isn't bad, it's good, but in a completely different way from the genius of the first one. It's a really perfect product of its time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AlternateAccount posted:

This is 100% what is happening. Robocop 2 isn't bad, it's good, but in a completely different way from the genius of the first one. It's a really perfect product of its time.

Nah, it's an awful movie in most respects. It completely lacks the charisma and charm of the original and abandons the one logical plot point to follow from the end of Robo1--Murphy's struggle to deal with the horror that was perpetrated upon him--for endless violence and gore. In many respects, I think that RoboCop 3 a better sequel.

We do not speak of Prime Directives.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, I know that, my point was that I wasn't entirely sure if Robo was inadvertently telling her the truth without realizing it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Big Trouble In Little China the origin of the "Are you ready?" / "I was born ready!" exchange or is it older than that?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How come very good 80s and 90s directors kinda poo poo up the 00s? Spielberg, Cameron etc? Or is it just they got old and out of touch?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is Big Trouble In Little China the origin of the "Are you ready?" / "I was born ready!" exchange or is it older than that?

Its in Smokey and the Bandit (1977) but no idea if that's the earliest use in media.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

How come very good 80s and 90s directors kinda poo poo up the 00s? Spielberg, Cameron etc? Or is it just they got old and out of touch?

Cameron made one movie that was pretty okay and also made a ton of money. Spielberg has honestly had a pretty good track record.

I mean it’s not unheard of for people that age to get a little soft- you realize there’s maybe more to life than getting that shot just perfect- but the old guard are honestly not doing too bad.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985) had this moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZDdQWeNmL8

I wouldn't call Spielberg's 2000s oeuvre of Munich, War of the Worlds, Catch Me If You Can, Minority Report that bad as it's better than some of his earlier stuff. I'd most definitely take that quartet over this 1980s-1990s quartet: Amistad, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Always, The Color Purple.

Also, A.I. Artificial Intelligence is a great film.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think I’m the only person on earth who liked The Terminal, but jeez his War of the Worlds effort can gently caress right off.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think I’m the only person on earth who liked The Terminal, but jeez his War of the Worlds effort can gently caress right off.

I just watched The Terminal for the first time the other day and thought it was alright, but what was wrong with War of the Worlds? I liked that one quite a bit at the time, and thought it held up great when I rewatched it not long ago.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
All you need to watch of War of The World is the first tripod coming out of the ground, honking, powering up, and then as soon as it shoots its first blast you can turn the movie off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuEZWnhkXfg

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Enos Cabell posted:

I just watched The Terminal for the first time the other day and thought it was alright, but what was wrong with War of the Worlds? I liked that one quite a bit at the time, and thought it held up great when I rewatched it not long ago.

It’s been close to 15 years since I’ve seen it, but the top of a long list of reasons was Dakota Fanning. And yeah the honks were cool and that’s about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did the Spielberg version have the Thunder Child scene?

(I've actually never seen the entire thing.)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did the Spielberg version have the Thunder Child scene?

(I've actually never seen the entire thing.)

No, but it did have a lot of Dakota Fanning screaming and an overly long scene where they hide in a basement. With Tim Robbins, for some reason.

Like, the vid I posted is literally the only interesting thing that happens in the movie. Alien invaders try to take over the planet, and he finds a way to make it boring as gently caress.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like I've heard that horn sound effect in Lord of the Rings. :v:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I should contest this by saying I was watching ready player one. I just don’t recal as many eye rolling dialog in his other movies until now. “Oooohhh old school!” 🤢🤢🤢🤢

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Do you have anyone in mind other than Spielberg (who I think made some of his best movies in the 00s) and Cameron (who has made, by my last count, one movie in the 00s)? My "very good 80s and 90s directors" list includes people who made some bomb-rear end 00s movies: Martin Scorsese, David Lynch, Leos Carax, Jim Jarmusch, Peter Greenaway, Wong Kar-Wai, and Michael Mann (Miami Vice is good, fight me).

Anyways, one hypothesis is that as directors have lots of success, they start getting blank checks, and they sort of go nuts and take big risks that often don't work out. That's kind of the premise of this podcast, which goes through the filmographies of directors to answer these sorts of questions. They have a Cameron miniseries and a "Spielberg in the 80s through 00s" series, so you can listen to those two if you want an answer better than mine. It's a great podcast and I highly recommend it!

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Tim Burton example of an 80s/90s director whose work deteriorated in the '00s, but even the. He's had a few decent movies in this century.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Tim Burton example of an 80s/90s director whose work deteriorated in the '00s, but even the. He's had a few decent movies in this century.

Ridley Scott has a few good things attached to his name.

Man in the High Castle still going strong

shame about his bro

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Some 80s/90s directors have made bad movies in the 00s (and even the 10s sometimes) but it's crazy that Martin Brest hasn't had a career at all since Gigli.

Even the guy who did Pluto Nash still does a lot of work in television.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Some 80s/90s directors have made bad movies in the 00s (and even the 10s sometimes) but it's crazy that Martin Brest hasn't had a career at all since Gigli.

Even the guy who did Pluto Nash still does a lot of work in television.

i thought we were supposed to hate jlow and assfleck

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I honestly don’t think Scorcese has made a banger since gangs of New York but I’m probably alone in that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I honestly don’t think Scorcese has made a banger since gangs of New York but I’m probably alone in that.

Yeah, I think every non-doc he’s made since then is better

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Is there a legal/contractual requirement for studios to put their vanity cards in movie trailers, or do they just do it to foster brand recognition (or for like pacing or to satisfy a norm or whatever)?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I should contest this by saying I was watching ready player one. I just don’t recal as many eye rolling dialog in his other movies until now. “Oooohhh old school!” 🤢🤢🤢🤢

Most of the eye rolling dialog in Ready Player One is straight out of the eye rolling book it's based on.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

Is there a legal/contractual requirement for studios to put their vanity cards in movie trailers, or do they just do it to foster brand recognition (or for like pacing or to satisfy a norm or whatever)?

Oh no, their distribution contract will specify that they have the right to do it. They insist. It’s branding and ego.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

That's the filmmaker whose filmography that podcast is doing right now!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i wish william friedkin would direct more stuff especially after killer joe and bug

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Parachute posted:

i wish william friedkin would direct more stuff especially after killer joe and bug

He did recently make a documentary about a real life exorcist but by all accounts it's not that great

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Anyways, one hypothesis is that as directors have lots of success, they start getting blank checks, and they sort of go nuts and take big risks that often don't work out. That's kind of the premise of this podcast, which goes through the filmographies of directors to answer these sorts of questions. They have a Cameron miniseries and a "Spielberg in the 80s through 00s" series, so you can listen to those two if you want an answer better than mine. It's a great podcast and I highly recommend it!

It could also be simply that the people and processes around their movies change. Different producers, writers, editors, different types of projects offered to them, etc.

Spielberg's latter years are definitely not 'going nuts and taking big risks.'

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 22, 2019

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Do you have anyone in mind other than Spielberg (who I think made some of his best movies in the 00s) and Cameron (who has made, by my last count, one movie in the 00s)? My "very good 80s and 90s directors" list includes people who made some bomb-rear end 00s movies: Martin Scorsese, David Lynch, Leos Carax, Jim Jarmusch, Peter Greenaway, Wong Kar-Wai, and Michael Mann (Miami Vice is good, fight me).

Looking at a random list of "Best 80s Directors" that I just found online (it's really more 'anglo directors who made some well-known movies in the 80s):

John Hughes
Steven Spielberg
John Carpenter
Robert Zemeckis
Rob Reiner
Martin Scorsese
James Cameron
John Landis
Ridley Scott
Richard Donner
Oliver Stone
David Cronenberg
David Lynch
Ivan Reitman
Harold Ramis
Terry Gilliam
Werner Herzog
Robert Altman

John Hughes just didn't do anything after the 80s. Carpenter just mostly retired in the 00s. Zemeckis spent the whole decade doing those weird CGI movies, he's probably the most glaring 'turned to poo poo' example here. Rob Reiner, I dunno. He was never that good. Landis has the whole 'deaths while shooting a movie' thing, though his career took a few years to really slow down (was that because of how long the trial was? I don't know). Ridley Scott just loves making movies regardless of their quality. He arguably had his resurgence in the 00s. Donner just had some projects that weren't too good. He's old as hell. Stone went out of style and is another clear 'turned to poo poo' example. Cronenberg's had some of his biggest critical successes in the 00s. Lynch has mostly just not done anything. Ivan Reitman and Harold Ramis were probably never particularly good directors in the first place. Gilliam has an old gypsy curse. Herzog has always been a bit hit or miss. Altman died.

from the 90s, into the 'got worse' pile, you can toss in Spike Lee.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Looking at a random list of "Best 80s Directors" that I just found online (it's really more 'anglo directors who made some well-known movies in the 80s):

John Hughes
Steven Spielberg
John Carpenter
Robert Zemeckis
Rob Reiner
Martin Scorsese
James Cameron
John Landis
Ridley Scott
Richard Donner
Oliver Stone
David Cronenberg
David Lynch
Ivan Reitman
Harold Ramis
Terry Gilliam
Werner Herzog
Robert Altman

John Hughes just didn't do anything after the 80s. Carpenter just mostly retired in the 00s. Zemeckis spent the whole decade doing those weird CGI movies, he's probably the most glaring 'turned to poo poo' example here. Rob Reiner, I dunno. He was never that good. Landis has the whole 'deaths while shooting a movie' thing, though his career took a few years to really slow down (was that because of how long the trial was? I don't know). Ridley Scott just loves making movies regardless of their quality. He arguably had his resurgence in the 00s. Donner just had some projects that weren't too good. He's old as hell. Stone went out of style and is another clear 'turned to poo poo' example. Cronenberg's had some of his biggest critical successes in the 00s. Lynch has mostly just not done anything. Ivan Reitman and Harold Ramis were probably never particularly good directors in the first place. Gilliam has an old gypsy curse. Herzog has always been a bit hit or miss. Altman died.

from the 90s, into the 'got worse' pile, you can toss in Spike Lee.

I just saw Blackkklansman or w/e

Didn't know until the end credits it was a Spike Lee joint, color me uninformed

His treatment of white characters was so unlike the stereotype about him

also, looking up, Terry Gilliam owns so maybe I should re-read your post before going off half cocked

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
I think he's referring to the various production problems that seem to constantly happen to Gilliam

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Purple Monkey posted:

I think he's referring to the various production problems that seem to constantly happen to Gilliam

I probably should have pieced it together with James Cameron

c'mon guy we're all waiting for Avatar#

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

syscall girl posted:

also, looking up, Terry Gilliam owns so maybe I should re-read your post before going off half cocked

He may own (I find his output wildly inconsistent even within a single film) but can you really deny he was cursed by a gypsy?