Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Elenkis posted:

Oculus Dash has a built in keyboard that works fine in Elite. You'll probably need to download the game from the Oculus store and run it from Home. Once you've done that you can just hit the Oculus button, select the Virtual Desktop and then there's a keyboard button in the bottom right of the desktop window which will open a big virtual keyboard and let you type in game.

You don’t actually need to do that. The steam version of Elite still runs through the oculus api and dash and all that stuff still works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

GutBomb posted:

You don’t actually need to do that. The steam version of Elite still runs through the oculus api and dash and all that stuff still works.

Oh cool. I remember back when Dash was still in beta, some people were having problems with getting it all working unless it was installed through the Oculus store. That was ages ago though.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 17, 2019

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mobby_6kl posted:

A while back we talked about doing game development entirely in VR and one thing that I don't remember being mentioned is Maquette: https://www.maquette.ms

I think it was in invite-only beta for a while but now you can get it from the UWP, steam or oculus store. It's basically what it says it is, a tool to prototype VR scenes entirely in VR. Kind of like Tilt Brush but a bit more specialized with tools to create larger scenes. It's pretty cool, you can reasonably quickly create a mockup for an experience you want to create. So like if you're a corporate drone at Nike, you could make a VR shoe store mockup like they have as a sample and take it to your bosses to get some budget approved to build the real thing.

But as cool as it is, you see the limitations immediately too - there's no interactivity of any kind, short of jumping between some pre-defined scenes and camera locations. Like in the shoe store example, you'd want it to do at least something. Like maybe actually change the color of the shoe when you touch a swatch. But nope, there's no animation or scripting of any kind. That said, this is still pretty early and I wouldn't be surprised to see basic tweening animation and scripting capability, e.g. touching this box launches an animation, touch that box changes a parameter of another object, and so on. You could probably get quite far even with these basic features.

What I'm reading here is VRChat and Rec Room's room creation tools are better than this in every way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just got a PlayStation VR today. Is there a reason the lenses seem to pick up smudges so easily? I’m obviously not touching them but they’ve gotten some smears after an hour or two of use.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Initial Impressions Skyrim VR: Dear God this is terrible. The manager that thought this was ready to be released should be forced to play it.

Initial Impressions Superhot VR: More puzzle than action game, with very clear inspiration from Portal. Enjoyable enough but with only brief moments of feeling like a bad rear end.

Soundboxing VR: Still awesome, still hands down the game that most consistently makes me feel awesome and happy. I should play it more than I do.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just got a PlayStation VR today. Is there a reason the lenses seem to pick up smudges so easily? I’m obviously not touching them but they’ve gotten some smears after an hour or two of use.

The Vive comes with a lens cleaning cloth. Does the PSVR not have that?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

LLSix posted:

Initial Impressions Skyrim VR: Dear God this is terrible. The manager that thought this was ready to be released should be forced to play it.

Initial Impressions Superhot VR: More puzzle than action game, with very clear inspiration from Portal. Enjoyable enough but with only brief moments of feeling like a bad rear end.

Soundboxing VR: Still awesome, still hands down the game that most consistently makes me feel awesome and happy. I should play it more than I do.

The Vive comes with a lens cleaning cloth. Does the PSVR not have that?

I made the mistake of trying skyrim VR first thing after getting my headset, and I refunded it almost immediately. After a few months and getting used to some of the quirks of VR I bought it again and found it much more enjoyable for whatever reason.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
My 7 year old seems to really like Rec Room. No real surprise since he really likes Roblox, and this seems like VR Roblox with a much less lovely engine.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Cicero posted:

My 7 year old seems to really like Rec Room. No real surprise since he really likes Roblox, and this seems like VR Roblox with a much less lovely engine.

Monitor your kid's VR time, there are some creepy people in Rec Room.

Oh, they opened it up to flat screeners.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are also some good people on rec room

https://www.reddit.com/r/RecRoom/comments/ahizd9/so_me_and_my_friend_were_on_rec_room_just/?st=JR3ZVZP5&sh=4633a3a5

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

LLSix posted:

Really? I thought it was fine and it's been consistently the most-played VR game on Steam since its release.

What issues were you having?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Skyrim VR works fine, it's just sloppy as a VR game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There isn’t a world bigger than Skyrim’s in VR as far as I’m aware, so if you want to spend time exploring in VR it doesn’t get better than that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Gort posted:

Really? I thought it was fine and it's been consistently the most-played VR game on Steam since its release.

What issues were you having?
It runs fine.

The menus are bad. Even with the SKYUIVR mod trying to navigate menus to access inventory or sell is painful. It's all touchpad based (laser pointer UI like the one in Vive home would be worlds better) so I'm constantly scrolling past the item I'm trying to select. The Perks menu is especially egregious because it often scrolls onto something semi-random and it takes a lot of guess work to get onto the perk I want to look at.

Having a player's first introduction to the game be a nausea inducing cart ride is somewhere between cruel and deeply thoughtless. The tiny VR tutorial area was an attempt to fix this but one that didn't go far enough.

Why can we still control a million things about the way our character looks when as VR player's we'll never see them? If there's an option to play in Third Person I didn't see it.

The popup VR tutorials are a good idea, but poorly implemented. They're in these tiny boxes with small font. Should have used the same interface they use for books if they didn't want to do the work to get the popups right.

I constantly knock over items I'm trying to pick up.

I'm less prone to VR sickness than when I started, but the built-in locomotion options are bad enough that they make me want to stop playing after about 10 minutes and they've somehow managed to make Natural Locomotion very prone to swaying side to side like a very pronounced bowlegged stride; something I haven't seen in any of the other games I've used Natural Locomotion with.

Things they did right:
  • Books are a good size and although it took me a few minutes to figure out how to turn the pages it feels fine now
  • Mining is mostly right in that it is instant but the notification text is in a weird place so I can't really see it unless I look for it and as a consequence didn't realize I'd successfully mined the first few tries
  • Woodcutting, same comments as mining

It's still Skyrim. I'll probably still play at least 100 hours if I can get it to stop crashing every half hour, but Bethesda really put a minimal, or I'd argue, a less than minimal amount of effort into their port. Bad enough that instead of playing Skyrim full time the way I expected to I'm only fiddling with it inbetween other games.

Edit: That was more words than I expected. Sorry for the rant, I'm going to rock out in Soundboxing now.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 23, 2019

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I pretty much experienced and agree with everything you put there, but I guess I'm just used to jank in VR games.

At least in Skyrim VR I'm not a single inch tall like I am in the John Wick game.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

LLSix posted:

Bethesda really put a minimal, or I'd argue, a less than minimal amount of effort into their port.

Man if you think Skyrim is a low effort port, you should see Fallout VR. They added in scopes in a patch like three months after release, lol.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This sounds dumb, but I'm oddly surprised that Thrill of the Fight gets exponentially easier the better you get at it. Being better at knocking the other guy out when you have an opportunity means not always having to fight to max match time.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Corbeau posted:

This sounds dumb, but I'm oddly surprised that Thrill of the Fight gets exponentially easier the better you get at it. Being better at knocking the other guy out when you have an opportunity means not always having to fight to max match time.

I like the Thrill of the Fight overall but I don't like that it lets you get away with really bad fighting technique. You can win matches pretty easily by fighting like a 1920's strongman with super wild haymakers.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Corbeau posted:

Heavy hooks can be an absolute destroyer. I've had to turn down my "punching strength" in the settings because 3500 joule hooks coming for the weak spots constantly can put down a lot of opponents relatively quickly. The adaptive scaling wasn't working fast enough for my liking so I disabled it.

It's one of five games I use to introduce people to vr, and everyone has an absolute blast. The others are the lab, gorn, space pirate Sim, and beat saber. Vr has legitimately been the best gaming buy I've ever made.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Corbeau posted:

Good poo poo :D

Are you on the beta? I forget what all has made it to the regular release lately, but the beta has opponents bob and weave instead of just duck, and they can now throw punches to your body.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Heavy hooks can be an absolute destroyer. I've had to turn down my "punching strength" in the settings because 3500 joule hooks coming for the weak spots constantly can put down a lot of opponents relatively quickly. The adaptive scaling wasn't working fast enough for my liking so I disabled it.

It's one of five games I use to introduce people to vr, and everyone has an absolute blast. The others are the lab, gorn, space pirate Sim, and beat saber. Vr has legitimately been the best gaming buy I've ever made.

I was very skeptical about VR but holy poo poo it’s been incredible. I’ve been playing Ace Combat 7’s VR campaign and yelled “OH poo poo” when I crashed because it was all so goddamn real looking.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

I was very skeptical about VR but holy poo poo it’s been incredible. I’ve been playing Ace Combat 7’s VR campaign and yelled “OH poo poo” when I crashed because it was all so goddamn real looking.

I still physically brace myself when I bite it in a flight or racing sim.

Elite Dangerous recentlyish added little ship-launched fighters, and if a larger ship smacks into you, you'll go spinning out of control like Darth Vader at the end of A New Hope, and it's disorienting as fuuuuuuuuck.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Blade and Sorcery beta got updated so your enemies have all-new combat animations, parry prediction is way better and, even cooler, enemies can now dodge and try to stay out of range of your weapons. They also flinch and react to locational damage a lot more realistically, they'll grab their legs if you give them a solid crack in the shins and slashing them will cause them to stagger. Fighting enemies feels a lot more dynamic and it can really make you break a sweat if you forego slow motion. Highly recommend trying it out!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Yesss, more victims for the cult. Soon, my brothers (and sisters)... soon.

E: Further discussion: I've wanted to read Way of Kings for a while but my lust for videogames gets in the way of me reading a book. My buddy gave me a graphic audio version and goddamn, it's the perfect accompaniment for playing Space Bus in Elite: Dangerous. Chilling out, ferrying passengers while listening to a cool fantasy story while starscapes roll past just mulches hours.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 21, 2019

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Songbearer posted:

E: Further discussion: I've wanted to read Way of Kings for a while but my lust for videogames gets in the way of me reading a book. My buddy gave me a graphic audio version and goddamn, it's the perfect accompaniment for playing Space Bus in Elite: Dangerous. Chilling out, ferrying passengers while listening to a cool fantasy story while starscapes roll past just mulches hours.

Graphic Audio does a great job with Mistborn too. I like listening to The Expanse series in Elite VR too. Oooh, also the Bobiverse series.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 21, 2019

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Edit: Oops post

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Anyone else with a samsung odyssey+ notice any issues with shitloads of mura? Its like they took away the sde then just piled a bunch of that on in its place. Really annoying.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Shine posted:

Are you on the beta? I forget what all has made it to the regular release lately, but the beta has opponents bob and weave instead of just duck, and they can now throw punches to your body.

Oh poo poo, no, I gotta get me some of that. Thanks for the heads-up!

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Songbearer posted:

Blade and Sorcery beta got updated so your enemies have all-new combat animations, parry prediction is way better and, even cooler, enemies can now dodge and try to stay out of range of your weapons. They also flinch and react to locational damage a lot more realistically, they'll grab their legs if you give them a solid crack in the shins and slashing them will cause them to stagger. Fighting enemies feels a lot more dynamic and it can really make you break a sweat if you forego slow motion. Highly recommend trying it out!
Oh man, just gave this a try with the two-handed sword. My arms are actually hurting after playing for awhile.

Also really digging the one-on-one mode. I don't really care much for the ranged stuff, I'm here for the melee fighting.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Wow, check this poo poo out! VR plugin for Maya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzyFruEPchU

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Anyone else with a samsung odyssey+ notice any issues with shitloads of mura? Its like they took away the sde then just piled a bunch of that on in its place. Really annoying.

It's there, but I don't really notice unless I'm looking at a fairly bright background and paying close attention to the image quality. It never crosses my mind during gameplay.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

timn posted:

It's there, but I don't really notice unless I'm looking at a fairly bright background and paying close attention to the image quality. It never crosses my mind during gameplay.

I have pretty bad mura on all the HMD. My biggest issue with the O+ is I can't get it to stay still so I'm in and out of the sweet spot all of the time. The light bleed is also really disorienting. I went back to Rift/Vive and feel I have much better visuals despite the downgraded res.

I was extremely unhappy with the O+ and will likely return in a few days.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, sorry the fitment issues have really ruined the experience for you. I also have some light bleed the way I wear mine, but maybe it's a lesser amount because I only notice it when the screens are off or if I'm purposely trying to look down out of the headset to check my surroundings.

Unfortunately I don't have any other tips for fitment besides what I've already posted. It's definitely a weakness of the headset since even the people who are happy all seem to have gotten there through a bit of trial and error.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

timn posted:

Yeah, sorry the fitment issues have really ruined the experience for you. I also have some light bleed the way I wear mine, but maybe it's a lesser amount because I only notice it when the screens are off or if I'm purposely trying to look down out of the headset to check my surroundings.

Unfortunately I don't have any other tips for fitment besides what I've already posted. It's definitely a weakness of the headset since even the people who are happy all seem to have gotten there through a bit of trial and error.

I'm really surprised because after a couple of hours of trying I can't get it to be even remotely acceptable but others seem to not have an issue. Only thing that makes sense to me is that my ipd of 64 is part of the issue as it looks better and better with a better sweet spot the more I can bring it in. It bottoms out at what it claims is 63 but I think my headset might be a bit higher. Maybe my lenses don't actually get as close together as they are supposed to.

As an example, I have a free dev Acer WMR HMD and it looks WAY better than the O+ and has a horrible strap (not even padded) and also has the issue of being able to flip up causing it to not seal well down.

I'm glad the O+ is working for most people but I would take a Rift/Vive 100 times out of a 100 over the O+ and it's baffling to me I seem to be the only one with this reaction.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGBUwKVPOoo

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

I'm glad the O+ is working for most people but I would take a Rift/Vive 100 times out of a 100 over the O+ and it's baffling to me I seem to be the only one with this reaction.

You're not alone. I honestly don't understand the love outside of maybe driving simulators. And even then. Meh?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Agreed, stay clear of this headset.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It's amazing how WMR headsets are so close to being acceptable. I'd keep one around for the increased resolution and playing games seated if...

1.) They were actually comfortable to wear and strapped to one's head properly.
2.) You didn't have to use that stupid WMR interface BS and could just launch poo poo straight from SteamVR.

quote:

Plug in your Mixed Reality headset to open the Mixed Reality Portal.
Open Steam.
Turn on your WMR controllers.
Open the Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR app.
Wait until the display shows "Ready Steam VR Home"
Put on your WMR headset and play.

Does this mixed reality portal bypass still work? Also apparently this still goes into the Steam House and not directly into the game or application.

Kazy posted:

From Windows 10 1809 and up you can launch SteamVR directly from the WMR environment, it improves it a lot.

But you still have to launch the WMR portal? No thanks. If a person launches the app from SteamVR or Oculus it should boot up in VR with the headset. No one likes the WMR portal.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 22, 2019

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

puberty worked me over posted:

It's amazing how WMR headsets are so close to being acceptable. I'd keep one around for the increased resolution and playing games seated if...

2.) You didn't have to use that stupid WMR interface BS and could just launch poo poo straight from SteamVR.

From Windows 10 1809 and up you can launch SteamVR directly from the WMR environment, it improves it a lot.

I've had all 3, but I prefer WMR the most, honestly.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

puberty worked me over posted:

1. Dell WMR is comfortable for me, they all have drastically different head mounts.

2. I click the steamvr icon and put on headset. Done. It still launches the windows environment but then it automatically launches steam vr, and I can turn on the controllers whenever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PirateDentist posted:

1. Dell WMR is comfortable for me, they all have drastically different head mounts.

2. I click the steamvr icon and put on headset. Done. It still launches the windows environment but then it automatically launches steam vr, and I can turn on the controllers whenever.

I personally don't like the headband design that the PSVR and WMR headsets use, because it never feels like it's sitting aligned. I always feel like my PSVR headset's slightly off in some way that needs adjusting to find the sweet spot for it. With the Vive I know it's locked in properly first time, every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

PirateDentist posted:

Why don't you folks just start a game? If you do, it'll start windows Mr, then steam vr, then your game all before you get the headset on and adjusted. After that, you can switch between games all within the headset.