Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TheScott2K posted:

melon cat just get a PS4, it's lousy with bad AAA third person shooters with cutscenes

It also has loads of good ones.

Turns out all consoles have plenty of good and bad games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

melon cat posted:

For me- I want a game with a great, story-driven single player experience that looks great that I can just pick up and play. Pretty visuals, and no dumb gimmicky controls that will make me throw the controller at the wall. Don't want any RPGs or open-world experiences where I won't know what the gently caress I was supposed to do if I haven't played for a few weeks.

are you saying you don't want to play rpgs or open world games, or that you don't want to play something with little direction? because most games these days are pretty good about giving you a quest log it something that makes it really easy to remember what going on

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Seriously, wandersong is one of the best written games you will play from 2018 and it's mechanics are absolutely heaven if you have any musical inclinations.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Alan_Shore posted:

Holy lol he's playing Mario Kart with auto steering turned on and complaining it's too easy :laffo:

Also he's apparently too good for indie games, AKA most of the good ones.

melon cat posted:

For me- I want a game with a great, story-driven single player experience that looks great that I can just pick up and play. Pretty visuals, and no dumb gimmicky controls that will make me throw the controller at the wall. Don't want any RPGs or open-world experiences where I won't know what the gently caress I was supposed to do if I haven't played for a few weeks.

And I don't even know what this means. It's overly picky to the point that there's literally no selection. Almost every big budget story driven game is gonna be open world or an RPG, or for Nintendo games, a platformer, and you don't seem overly keen on those either. Do you like roguelikes or roguelites? Those can fit the bill of "pick up and play" very well and run a wide range of game styles. If you're really combing the eshop and you aren't finding ANYTHING? Then you really can't tell the difference between shovelware and a choice indie game.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

melon cat posted:

BoTW came out almost 2 years ago, 'bruh. It is pretty damned silly that it's still selling for its full new release price.

BotW still sells second hand for $45 dollars even two years later bruh, either look for a second hand copy or sell yours for 80% of the price you bought it for when you're done with it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Imagine selling your copy of botw

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

<----

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

TheScott2K posted:

I invested that money into Bitcoin, who is laughing now.

e: but for reals Mario and Zelda games are never impossible to find and if I want to replay BotW I'll get a digital copy to keep forever. Same with Mario games, once I finish them I tend to sell because I can always get another copy if I want to replay them.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

i would've sold my wii u copy after i got it again on switch but they're both digital lol

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't sell my games

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Over There posted:

I don't sell my games

I normally don't but I've got this physical copy of Owlboy and that's prolly gonna happen

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Yeah PSA as a genius who can pick the best indie game out of a crowd six years before it even releases, don't play Owl Boy. It's been the only bad game to trick me since, like, Spore. Just a real face plant of a game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I adore Zelda 2 but the gauntlet between the river monster and the final dungeon is just... unnecessary.

After that I'm probably going to get started on a game I've never played before: Blaster Master!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

All of my video games are my children, I kiss every game box every night before tucking them into bed. I would die before I sold them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I sold MGS4 and bought FFXIII with the money in the worst trade deal in history

I traded them back after a few days, more than willing to take the hit because FFXIII was probably the worst game I'd ever played

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

melon cat posted:

BoTW came out almost 2 years ago, 'bruh. It is pretty damned silly that it's still selling for its full new release price.
hi, do you know what attachment rates are and want to hear how stupidly high BotW's is? You should because this will fill in some knowledge for you and make it clear why a 2yo game is still basically full price.

Hey someone did the work already
https://mobile.twitter.com/vook64/status/1057452448019697664?s=21

Reggie Fils-Aime posted:

“So first, in terms of traditional attach rate, the Nintendo Switch is performing at historic levels,” he said while speaking with Forbes. “As we sit here today, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Odyssey, each one did attaching at better than 50%, meaning each of these games in the United States across the population of hardware consume one out of every two consumers that bought those games. And we’ve never seen 50% attach rates to begin with and seeing that across three different games coming up on to our second holiday is completely unheard of.”

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 20, 2019

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I respect fusion for at least expanding the mythos in a good way and playing well.

Did Adam exist before Fusion because I really like Fusion but I really hate Adam.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Circle Nine posted:

Did Adam exist before Fusion because I really like Fusion but I really hate Adam.

No Adam was invented for Fusion

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jesus, almost a decade on Other M is still the most recent mainline Metroid game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Steve2911 posted:

Jesus, almost a decade on Other M is still the most recent mainline Metroid game.

Uh, have we already forgotten about Metroid Prime: Federation Force?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

melon cat posted:

There's no need to tease. It's true that most Switch-exclusive games are going to be Nintendo only and while GREAT are going to cost you. That said people talking up BotW aren't doing it out of fanboyism. It's a genuinely great game, and not playing 3D Zelda won't make that any less of an experience. It's a game with a quest guide, and yet you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, and take that as literally as you can, because no other game has ever given you such freedom. If you forget what you were doing, just do something else, maybe you'll get back to it, maybe you won't!

You can beat the final boss the second you leave the tutorial area, and give yourself a right challenge, or you can unlock and gather everything making the whole game an easy joke to beat, though the path there would beat any gaming experience you've had in a while.

The story isn't much, but it's enough, but the beauty of the game is the story you create for yourself as you play it. It's great for short bursts or for longer sessions, it covers all the bases. The only thing I fear you may bounce hard of is the breakable weapons, but if you treat it as useable and very findable ammo in a FPS you'll be fine.

It may be expensive but it's worth every penny.

melon cat posted:

For playing with the wife- games that we can play on a lazy Sunday that feel like they're more fleshed-out than a mobile game that we can play on our smartphones. That's seriously it. Katamari was a big hit, but then we finished it and have no reason to go back to it. Lost interest in MK because the newest iteration refuses to let you fall of the track and now everyone's driving on rails. Really don't like games that with this hand-holding crap that treats you like a baby. We want games that are for "casuals" but not completely dumbed-down and present SOME sort of challenge. Hope that makes some sort of sense.

After that yeah, exclusives dry up fast, but the beauty of the Switch isn't so much its catalogue but the perk of being portable. Maybe you're like me, you won't be taking it much of the house, but you can go from your screen to your bed, play a game while your partner watches something, just play anywhere, anytime. It's very convenient. It's not often mentioned but the UI of the system is super-fast. As in, your phone fast. You turn the thing on and you're playing the game you had in sleep mode seconds later. It's pretty remarkable and plays to the strengths of convenience and accessibility. My partner will say she's "Ready to go out," which means 5-10 more minutes. I can flip on the Switch while I wait and do a quick thing on the Smash Spirit Board or start a Tetris match or something and get back to it later with no issue.

So that's why you'd be willing to pay a "Switch tax" for the portability. There are some terrific indie games that are worth looking into.

-As a couple, if you haven't tried Stardew Valley, do so. It's super-chill SNES/PS1 Harvest Moon and you have all the time in the world to make and build your farm. If you don't want to fight monsters, don't. If you want to fish all day, do! Whatever you want, the game doesn't castigate you. It's charming and cute.

-For yourself, if you like strategy games you may want to consider Into the Breach. It's very cheap for what it is and it's 3 difficulties will give you plenty of options confronting it. It's great for pick up and play. Discovering what you're capable of doing in the game is very rewarding, and you'll quickly see in what ways you can "break" the game, despite it all being fully intentional.

-I don't know if they'd interest you, but Hollow Knight and Hyper Light Drifter are both worth playing. The former being a tough but fair Metroidvania, with a sense of exploration only beaten by BotW, and far cheaper. But maybe it'd be too difficult. HLD is also difficult but again it's a tough but fair action adventure game wrapped up in a super atmospheric world.

- As for shooters... I don't know. I don't buy them often but you have Fortnite for Free! Paladins, an Overwatch-clone for Free! Warframe, a something for Free! You may need the Online subscription but at 20 bucks a year, it's not asking for much. And with that you'll get access to the NES and eventual SNES catalog that they're putting up, which is better than nothing, and in fact can be quite something. Plus, Doom is on the Switch and people say it's the best FPS to have come out in a while or something. Splatoon is a great shooter, but you would need online for it to be of any worth; and expensive as it is it is the most fun I've had playing a shooter in decades.

Don't think of the Switch as your Nintendo-game machine. That was the WiiU. The Switch is a portable home console, so now you can play a lot of great games, albeit, slightly dated ones whenever/wherever you want, whether they were found on the PS3 or Steam first, now you can have them in your hand.

Lastly as people said, check your control options in Mario Kart and take off the auto-steer. That should make the thing a touch more interesting/challenging.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Adam didn't authorize a new game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Leal posted:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Heath posted:

Uh, have we already forgotten about Metroid Prime: Federation Force?

Ah yes, how silly of me. I'm gonna throw up for a few hours.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Leal posted:

Mother fucker....

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Eh, it took them 8 years to make another Metroid game after loving Super Metroid came out. It's only fair to have a 20-25 year gap after something like Other M.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Everybody throw Smash in the garbage, the crossover fighting game we've all been waiting for is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGV495ObUvY

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

melon cat posted:

Lost interest in MK because the newest iteration refuses to let you fall of the track and now everyone's driving on rails.

Auto-steering in enabled by default. Press +/- during kart selection or during the race to turn it off.

You will fall off the track PLENTY

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I drive with the auto-steering on. I also put up the bumpers when I bowl.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LethalGeek posted:

hi, do you know what attachment rates are and want to hear how stupidly high BotW's is? You should because this will fill in some knowledge for you and make it clear why a 2yo game is still basically full price.

Hey someone did the work already
https://mobile.twitter.com/vook64/status/1057452448019697664?s=21

What's Ys VIII's excuse :argh:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mister Facetious posted:

What's Ys VIII's excuse :argh:

It's the only thing NISA has that anyone gives a poo poo about

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Binding of Isaac is half off on the eShop in case anyone regrets buying the retail version, because they want to have access to it on their consoles at all times (like me!). It's been 2 years and it's only gone on sale a few times, so ready accordingly!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Heath posted:

It's the only thing NISA has that anyone gives a poo poo about

I thought I was done begrudgingly giving that poo poo company money and then they got Trails of Cold Steel 3 (and probably 4) and hired the key Cold Steel XSEED translators so now I'm back to pretending NISA matters.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gripweed posted:

Everybody throw Smash in the garbage, the crossover fighting game we've all been waiting for is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGV495ObUvY

Gonna be a Jesus main.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Gonna be a Jesus main.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Godfights game looks amusingly janky

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Christianity!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I would get that in a heartbeat just for Jesus' intro animation if the gameplay didn't look so lovely

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can vouch for being one of the people who contributed to the steady sales numbers of BotW in recent months. I was planning on buying it for my first non-MK8 game but it wasn't at the Gamestop I went to, so instead I went with Hyrule Warriors. I got it a little less than a month later.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I sold MGS4 and bought FFXIII with the money in the worst trade deal in history

I traded them back after a few days, more than willing to take the hit because FFXIII was probably the worst game I'd ever played
Ah, the Hall-for-Larsson of video game exchanges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

get that OUT of my face posted:

I can vouch for being one of the people who contributed to the steady sales numbers of BotW in recent months. I was planning on buying it for my first non-MK8 game but it wasn't at the Gamestop I went to, so instead I went with Hyrule Warriors. I got it a little less than a month later.

Ah, the Hall-for-Larsson of video game exchanges.

Isn't Warriors Multiplayer? That poo poo's pretty mindless and fun and pretty and done bit by bit. Could be something for Melon Cat to look into, and not being Nintendo it can get cheap. Still they should just BotW, I, and I'm sure many others, would all love to be able to play that game again for a first time.