Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Harlock posted:

Yeah his was the opposite. Moffat had so many great ideas and then just got progressively worse.

I like all of Matt Smiths seasons to a greater of lesser extent, but for my money his first season was overall the best of the revival so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

SiKboy posted:

I like all of Matt Smiths seasons to a greater of lesser extent, but for my money his first season was overall the best of the revival so far.

By far, frankly.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Turns out that when you're a very slow writer and are working on multiple other projects it isn't a great idea to write nearly half of a 13-episode series :v:

In retrospect I think series 8 was probably better, just because I liked the non-Moffat episodes more. Deep Breath might be no Eleventh Hour, but by a much larger margin Hungry Earth is no Mummy On The Orient Express

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

2house2fly posted:

In retrospect I think series 8 was probably better, just because I liked the non-Moffat episodes more. Deep Breath might be no Eleventh Hour, but by a much larger margin Hungry Earth is no Mummy On The Orient Express

But is Hungry Earth better or worse than the tree episode?

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
Pertwee’s first season is best first season for me, Matt’s first closely behind

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

2house2fly posted:

The failure of "The Hungry Earth" is that it wasn't called "Hungry Like the Earth."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

sinepost posted:

Pertwee’s first season is best first season for me, Matt’s first closely behind

It's incredible how solid that entire season was. it's even more ridiculous when you consider it's literally the first time we see the Master.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Master was Pertwee's second season.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm the weirdo that rates a season holistically, specifically by 'how would I feel about watching the entire season again, no skips'. So for new Doctor first seasons, Whittaker's first actually sits right behind Smith's first, because the worst they get is boring. Nothing cringey like Love and Monsters, nothing super-objectionable like Forest of the Night, just a quality line that never dips below 'passable'.

Something I'd even grant season 11 over season 5 there is that none of its 'boring's are next to each other. The Hungry Earth is a two-parter that only has a high point completely disconnected from the main plot, and it's preceded by Amy's Choice which I'm personally just not interested in watching again, so that's three episodes of a downswing for me. Season 11 might debatably have more boring in it, but they're basically all between good episodes so you're not in the weeds for long.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Chokes McGee posted:

It's incredible how solid that entire season was. it's even more ridiculous when you consider it's literally the first time we see the Master.

Unless you consider...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I mean, the master isn't in Pertwee's first season so

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Season 5 is definitely the very top. Take out the Silurian 2-parter (written by Chibnall, ironically) and basically every episode is excellent and the season arc is realized beautifully and everything ends perfectly.

"Something old, something new, something borrowed, something...... blue." :hellyeah:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Master was Pertwee's second season.

Goddamn it

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Tom Baker's novel based on he and Ian Marter's script for a Fourth Doctor movie, Scratchman, comes out next week. Just preordered the audiobook narrated by Tom himself on Audible and am pretty keen for the madness.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tom Baker is 85 today! :toot:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tom Baker IS

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I’m up to the Romans now. Hartnell episodes do keep returning to the idea of the Doctor being mistaken for someone, not that I’m complaining. The Doctor complimenting Nero’s playing is a treat.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/HeardinLondon/status/1086914555761094657

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This is really well done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbxMg6i0cmQ

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/1086933679690207232

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
hey remember how the daleks are a fascist analog that project power and superiority but deep inside (literally) are a wretched pathetic creature almost worthy of pity? well according to chris chibnall they're actually super strong and cool, ride around on your back like a boss and don't afraid of anything.

can we just make mark gatiss the showrunner please and let grant morrison write a couple of eps?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jose Mengelez posted:

hey remember how the daleks are a fascist analog that project power and superiority but deep inside (literally) are a wretched pathetic creature almost worthy of pity? well according to chris chibnall they're actually super strong and cool, ride around on your back like a boss and don't afraid of anything.

can we just make mark gatiss the showrunner please and let grant morrison write a couple of eps?

why the gently caress would you want MARK GATISS? what the hell

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

corn in the bible posted:

why the gently caress would you want MARK GATISS? what the hell

lesser of multiple evils.

lol if you're dumb enough to think someone legit good would ever be offered the helm.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Make me the showrunner and I’ll bring back the Raston Warrior Robot.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
what's douglas adams doing these days?

*check's graveyard*

ah well, nevertheless.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

marktheando posted:

Make me the showrunner and I’ll bring back the Raston Warrior Robot.

No, make me the showrunner and I'll bring back the Raston Warrior Robot.

As played by Katy Manning. :colbert:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jose Mengelez posted:

They also project order and efficiency but are hideous monstrosities on the inside. Multiple levels!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Christ the bits with Nero running after his slave Barbara for just a little kiss haven’t aged well. Everyone having a good chuckle and the comedy music.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Harlock posted:

Yeah his was the opposite. Moffat had so many great ideas and then just got progressively worse.
Same with RTD, I thought. First year: "Yes! I can use all the fantastic ideas I've been developing in my mind for literally decades!" Second year: "Ah... okay, what's left over?" RTD at least had a new Doctor to play with for his second year, but Moffat just doubled and tripled down on his own increasingly convoluted mythology in a bid to prove himself the Most Significant Doctor Who Writer Evar.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

None of that happened.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

None of that happened.

Payndz posted:

RTD at least had a new Doctor to play with for his second year

Pretty sure at least some of that happened

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Lest we forget that RTD blew the budget for Eccleston's season on the second episode.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I remember reading that was a deliberate choice, to put the show's best foot forward or something

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jose Mengelez posted:

The Recon Dalek is a repulsive bully that hides behind its victims, and can do literally nothing without them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic posted:

The Recon Dalek is a repulsive bully that hides behind its victims, and can do literally nothing without them.

Why this seems to fit with the original idea of them projecting power and superiority but really being a wretched pathetic creature almost worthy of pity!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/claytonhickman/status/1087028158166171648

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

No, make me the showrunner and I'll bring back the Raston Warrior Robot.

As played by Katy Manning. :colbert:

"Go on..."

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

it's actually a metaphor for AIDS.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You'd think he'd specifically called Doctor Who Magazine to tell this story, but the truth is he'd just ring any random number on the phone and tell it to anybody who'd listen.

EVERYBODY listened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Your Tom Baker fan-fiction is always just the best.

Mostly because it's all true.