Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Duck and Cover posted:

No one thinks malice has anything to do with it. They don't care. Like it's all for money they'll do whatever they think will make the the most of it. Also reputation ruining? Ha, their customers are idiots filled with money to have their nostalgia milked for all it's worth. "Horrible failures" aren't so much unprofitable as they are just not profitable enough. By the way nothing is profitable enough, give us all your money.

I would not be surprised if they had a plan to rid themselves of the real money auction house from the get go, it's just makes good sense to be prepared. People want to believe Blizzard is bumbling fools as oppose to being the huge company after their money through any means (which could in theory include making a fun game but generally it's more about making a manipulative okay game).

Spoilers corporations care about an IP's reputation because if the reputation is bad it won't sell games.

I've been working in the game industry for almost a decade and you have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop posting about this topic and let's get back to making fun of Valve and this literal circus clown game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Amethyst posted:

The idea that a large company must be smart therefore any mistakes they make must be part of a larger plan is a testament to the power of marketing. Blizzard is run by fallible people just like every other institution. Just like valve.

You need to perform some serious mental gymnastics to look at the Diablo 3 launch and conclude that it was anything other than a huge gently caress up.

Yeah. The Diablo mobile game announcement (not the game itself, the actual time and place of the announcement) alone should blow any notion that Blizzard is playing 4D chess out of the water.

Unless... that's exactly why they did it!!

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
when are they making new cards. these cards are boring.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Step 1: Release poorly received installments in multiple beloved franchises

Step 2: Continue to alienate and estrange your core playerbase

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Massive profits

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Amethyst posted:

The idea that a large company must be smart therefore any mistakes they make must be part of a larger plan is a testament to the power of marketing. Blizzard is run by fallible people just like every other institution. Just like valve.

You need to perform some serious mental gymnastics to look at the Diablo 3 launch and conclude that it was anything other than a huge gently caress up.

It can still be a huge gently caress up and profitable.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Spoilers corporations care about an IP's reputation because if the reputation is bad it won't sell games.

I've been working in the game industry for almost a decade and you have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop posting about this topic and let's get back to making fun of Valve and this literal circus clown game.

Wow that's amazing you've been "working in the game industry" and thus you know that companies really focus on making great games. I'm sure you know nothing about being exploited for profit. Remind me again how positively your hours/pay compare to your profession in general?

Of course they care about Intellectual Properties reputation it's just that they're smart enough to also realize the people are so forgiving it's difficult to completely drag an IP down. I can't even think of an example although I imagine there's one.

Avasculous posted:

Yeah. The Diablo mobile game announcement (not the game itself, the actual time and place of the announcement) alone should blow any notion that Blizzard is playing 4D chess out of the water.

Unless... that's exactly why they did it!!

What? A big event for publicity? Can't imagine why they'd do that. Oh no people booed and so forth guess they won't play it once it's out. (they'll totally play it anyway)

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Chomp8645 posted:

So this is where the casters are covering the tournament thing from.

Literally a good game for a clown to play at the circus lol!!!

poo poo, slacks and sunsfan? I'll watch it, gently caress it. I don't even own or care about artifacts

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Diablo 3: 20 Million Sales

Reaper of Souls: 2.7 Million Sales

Duck and Cover: Incredible. The greedy geniuses at Blizzard have done it again. When will people see through the veil like I do?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't like watching casted tournaments because of how much dead time their is between games. No I don't want to listen to you're say nothing banter/analysis just show me the game. I do find how it mimics sports coverage (I think I don't watch sports really) to be kind of interesting though.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

I don't like watching casted tournaments because of how much dead time their is between games. No I don't want to listen to you're say nothing banter/analysis just show me the game. I do find how it mimics sports coverage (I think I don't watch sports really) to be kind of interesting though.

It is sports coverage.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Amethyst posted:

Duck and Cover: Incredible. The greedy geniuses at Blizzard have done it again. When will people see through the veil like I do?

Wait wasn't Reaper Souls that expansion with like one new class for 15 bucks?

Edit: Well yes one new class but I hadn't realized there was an Act 5 I was thinking of that Necromancer thingy.

Amethyst posted:

It is sports coverage.

It shouldn't be but whatever it doesn't really matter.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 21, 2019

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Wait wasn't Reaper Souls that expansion with like one new class for 15 bucks?

It was an expansion pack with a new class, new game mode, and new chapter. It sold poorly because blizzard irreparably damaged the diablo brand with d3.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

It can still be a huge gently caress up and profitable.

Wow that's amazing you've been "working in the game industry" and thus you know that companies really focus on making great games. I'm sure you know nothing about being exploited for profit. Remind me again how positively your hours/pay compare to your profession in general?

Of course they care about Intellectual Properties reputation it's just that they're smart enough to also realize the people are so forgiving it's difficult to completely drag an IP down. I can't even think of an example although I imagine there's one.

What? A big event for publicity? Can't imagine why they'd do that. Oh no people booed and so forth guess they won't play it once it's out. (they'll totally play it anyway)

Why does every stupid thing Activision Blizzard does have to be some fiendish conspiracy rather than bog standard corporate greed/ineptitude?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Amethyst posted:

Its incredible how fast blizz used up their goodwill for D3 really

And now its at the point of why play D3 when there is poe

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

boredsatellite posted:

People still want a Diablo 4 so I'd say the good will is still bankable.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Amethyst posted:

You can't read lol.

quote:

Reaper of Souls sold 2.7 million copies in its first week on sale.[30] As of August 2014, Diablo III and Reaper of Souls have combined sales of 20 million copies.[31] As of June 30, 2015, Diablo III and Reaper of Souls have combined sales of 30 million copies.[32]

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
There is a huge gulf between "Corporations are inherently toxic institutions that reward nepotism, bootlicking and amorality over anything resembling a practical skill" and "Corporations have double secret convoluted schemes to use backlash to their own actions to manipulate people into doing what they ACTUALLY want"

The first is Das Kapital and the second is Info Wars

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

There is a huge gulf between "Corporations are inherently toxic institutions that reward nepotism, bootlicking and amorality over anything resembling a practical skill" and "Corporations have double secret convoluted schemes to use backlash to their own actions to manipulate people into doing what they ACTUALLY want"

The first is Das Kapital and the second is Info Wars

I don't think anyone here is going with the Info Wars take, although people seem to think I am.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 21, 2019

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

boredsatellite posted:

Or rather, Grim Dawn.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

Most people don't play video games they don't enjoy and never asked for, such as Artifact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0qZTS38cjw

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Duck and Cover posted:

People still want a Diablo 4 so I'd say the good will is still bankable.

I guess it depends how many have faith in the diablo IP and the company of Blizzard at this point.

YOURFRIEND posted:

Or rather, Grim Dawn.

I tried that game out, didn't grab my interest but I'm glad it exists

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Willie Tomg posted:

Most people don't play video games they don't enjoy and never asked for, such as Artifact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0qZTS38cjw

You say that like things aren't going all according to keikaku for Valve

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Diablo mobile is actually a good example of how loving stupid corporations are: ActivisionBlizzard sincerely believed they had a product which would be met with enthusiasm and strengthen the Diablo IP by bringing it to a new audience.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Thats an incredibly stupid take because the diablo mobile game probably will be wildly successful in china and bring in a huge new audience for them. The issue is not, and was never the game, it was the manner in which it was revealed.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Thats an incredibly stupid take because the diablo mobile game probably will be wildly successful in china and bring in a huge new audience for them. The issue is not, and was never the game, it was the manner in which it was revealed.

which is fitting for this thread, as Artifact also had the most tone-deaf reveal

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

Of course plenty do why do you think so many games focus on manipulating their players as opposed to making good games?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think this thread is a good example that, just like Artifact, some posts are beyond saving

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

Why does every stupid thing Activision Blizzard does have to be some fiendish conspiracy rather than bog standard corporate greed/ineptitude?

Chomp8645 posted:

So this is where the casters are covering the tournament thing from.

Literally a good game for a clown to play at the circus lol!!!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

Literally a good game for a clown to play at the circus

New thread title.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Have you been paying attention to current events? diablo immortal probably won't even get a chinese release due to the government crackdown and chinese gamers loving hate Netease and mobile whale farm games every bit as much as americans and euros do.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
yeah don't bite the capital-g Gamer-generated narrative that Diablo Immortal was some genius plan to milk china please. that's stupid

also don't engage with duck and cover, anyone in ten miles of a dota-adjacent topic should know that

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It's unbelievable how absolute and total a failure must be for people to concede that the situation didn't actually turn out like they intended

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Red is basically cancer in constructed.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

emdash posted:

yeah don't bite the capital-g Gamer-generated narrative that Diablo Immortal was some genius plan to milk china please. that's stupid

also don't engage with duck and cover, anyone in ten miles of a dota-adjacent topic should know that

Genius plan my loving rear end. When a company sees something as profitable (cell phone games) they tend to want a piece of that.

Please tell me you were one of the people arguing against shadow blade Tiny/Pebbles so I can call you an idiot. I mean I was right then of course and I'm right now.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 22, 2019

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

quote:

"We waited so long to hear that there was a hand tour? It's better to tell us something new or not".

Can any Chinese person in this thread clarify whether "hand tour" is a euphemism for mobile game, handjob, or both?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Who the gently caress is pebbles. Did you just throw down a hon name. gently caress everything.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

kater posted:

Who the gently caress is pebbles. Did you just throw down a hon name. gently caress everything.

I did. I didn't play much Dota, but I did play plenty of Heroes of Newerth before I switched to Dota 2. I also don't recall if that conversation was in a Dota or Heroes of Newerth thread.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Hon was a better idea than artifact.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

kater posted:

Hon was a better idea than artifact.

Yes well a bigger company decided they wanted that money and so they took it. I wonder if Valve could have just made totally not Magic the Gathering, probably (definitely) not but it would have been funny to watch them fight Wizards of the Coast.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 23, 2019

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Willie Tomg posted:

Have you been paying attention to current events? diablo immortal probably won't even get a chinese release due to the government crackdown and chinese gamers loving hate Netease and mobile whale farm games every bit as much as americans and euros do.

I don't mean to be racist but the bug-like China man will spend trillions of dollars on any piece of poo poo they can play in their tiny cars during their 4 hour commute to work at the poorly supervised lathe factory. It's called the american dream. Activision will inevitably ruin the sure thing by loving up Chinese localization, which is the worst crime an american company can commit, though. so either of us could be right for why the game will fail.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Normal Adult Human posted:

I don't mean to be racist but the bug-like China man

What the gently caress is this?