Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I got given a waffle-maker for Christmas, and it is great. I am using the recipe below for my waffles and it is really excellent.

250g plain (AP) flour
2 tbsp sugar
2.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
350ml milk
80g melted butter
2 large eggs

My question is this: is there any reason to use AP flour and add baking powder instead of just self-raising flour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Scientastic posted:

My question is this: is there any reason to use AP flour and add baking powder instead of just self-raising flour?

Nope! You can do it either way and it's the same final product. I get tons of mileage out of my waffle iron and your recipe looks good. Sometimes I'll go 50/50 on milk + buttermilk for the liquid portion but only if it's fancy time.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have a recipe for buttermilk waffles, but buttermilk is a bit hard to come by in the U.K...

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Scientastic posted:

I have a recipe for buttermilk waffles, but buttermilk is a bit hard to come by in the U.K...

For waffles (and most things that use buttermilk) you can just put some lemon juice in milk for the same effect.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ron Jeremy posted:

I got a Sous vide for Xmas and have been generally pleased with the results. I still wonder about food safety though. Isn’t it a little risky to put a piece of meat through the danger zone for so long? I did a tri tip and it just smelled... weird? coming out of the bag before I seared it.

As long as you cook from chilled instead of from frozen, and you stick to 2" at the thickest, you'll be good. If you want to go thicker than that, find an online calculator.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Ron Jeremy posted:

I got a Sous vide for Xmas and have been generally pleased with the results. I still wonder about food safety though. Isn’t it a little risky to put a piece of meat through the danger zone for so long? I did a tri tip and it just smelled... weird? coming out of the bag before I seared it.

The foundation of any advice you'll see on how to safely cook sous vide is based on two things:

1) how long it's going to take your meat to heat to bath temp at its center (or 1 degree f lower than bath temp because it's a near asymptotic curve)

2) how long it takes your meat to pasteurize at 1 degree f lower than bath temp. This is the time at which at a given temp - statistically - only one in ten million bacteria will survive. This is what a pasteurization curve looks like:

so according to this plot, if you want to kill all but one in ten million bacteria on your chicken meat, you can cook it at 140 F for 27.5 minutes or 150 F for 2.8 minutes, etc. But remember this is only the outside of the chicken. This is why you also need to know how long it's going to take to heat through, then start your pasteurization timer.

Luckily, other people have already done the legwork figuring this out. This is my go-to doc for finding out where the food safety margins are, when I have some reason to get into the details:
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.htm (click Food Safety in the table of contents for pasteurization info)

One thing you'll notice is that he doesn't provide pasteurization times for meat at thicknesses where it would take more than four hours for the meat to heat to bath temp at center. This is to prevent you from creating a bacteria incubator. According to his math, beef that's about 2.75" at its thickest is where things get iffy.

But since most pathogens live on the surface of meat, some consider it generally safe to leave the center of a roast in the danger zone for longer. This means a Max of about 4" thickness. Anecdotally, it's worked fine for me.

If you're worried about the surface of your meat getting funky while it slowly heats in the bath, you can pre-sear it.

Also sometiems some bacteria just survive. Could be your tri-tip was just unlucky. Or maybe youre just not used to the ghoulish appearance of unseared sous vide meat and you got psyched out.

I hope that gives you some leads for chasing down answers to your food safety Qs!

fart store fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 20, 2019

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wether I'm making them from scratch, or a mix, I never put eggs in waffles anymore. They just make them taste ... Unnecessarily eggy?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squashy Nipples posted:

Unnecessarily eggy?

Sorry, I know what these two words mean separately, but together they make no sense

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

As long as you cook from chilled instead of from frozen, and you stick to 2" at the thickest, you'll be good. If you want to go thicker than that, find an online calculator.

I have a brisket that’s thicker than that. The website for the Sous vide I have says 175deg for 24 hours or as low as 135 for 72(!) hours.

Are there food safety issues here?

I have a vacuum sealer but there’s got to be surface bacteria, right? Isn’t 135 incubating the gently caress out of those?

fart store posted:

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.htm (click Food Safety in the table of contents for pasteurization info)

This was excellent, tyvm

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 20, 2019

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Can you make waffle batter in advance and keep it in the fridge overnight?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I've done the SV brisket 5 or more times now and never had an issue. As stated it's time vs temp. Here is Kenji showing cook times for brisket I've used. https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket.html

If I remember correctly a minimum temp of 131F has to be reached in order to kill bacteria and it has to be 1hr or something of cook time to kill 99%.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

sterster posted:

I've done the SV brisket 5 or more times now and never had an issue.

What time and temp did you use?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Ron Jeremy posted:

What time and temp did you use?

I'd suggest reading that link I put in there as it gives you an idea of what the texture is going to be based on time/temp. I've tried some different temps but agree with Kenji that 155 @ 24-36hrs is probably best.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Scientastic posted:

I wouldn't. You can pre-mix the dry and wet ingredients separately and mix right before you make them though.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Scientastic posted:

IIRC, there are some waffle batter recipes that are specifically intended to sit overnight which use live yeast and produce a fairly different waffle than a standard batter, so that may be worth digging into.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
I bought myself a nice kurobuta pork chop for dinner. It's a little under 1" thick. Like probably about 0.9".

I've mastered thick-rear end loin chops on the grill, but this isn't thick and I'm not grilling. Also it's obviously not real lean.

Please tell me: What is the best way to cook this chop indoors so that I get good rendering of the fat and I don't overcook the muscle? I'd rather do it old skool than sous vide.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If it's that close to 1", I would just reverse-sear

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Brine for 24hrs, grill. It's what we do at my restaurant and they're amazing.

You say you aren't grilling, so you're looking for like a pan seared type approach? Or...? I would definitely still brine. We do a great one with some savory herbs and lavender. It adds a lot of complexity without being flowery or perfumey.

I have a giant 2lb bag of baby carrots I bought and didn't use nearly enough of ... I am thinking of a savory carrot soup but don't really want the usual carrot-ginger blended thing. I've had a cold and been drinking a lot of ginger poo poo and cough drops and I'm tired of it. Either a brothy or a blended soup is fine, any other flavors are great (I'll admit that I don't love horseradish) I just don't want ginger. Any ideas?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Scientastic posted:

Depends on the recipe/leavening, etc. Some benefit from it, some suffer.

edit: without knowing more, I’d second what the other person said about prepping dry & wet separately for your mise en place

Hauki fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 20, 2019

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

You say you aren't grilling, so you're looking for like a pan seared type approach? Or...? I would definitely still brine. We do a great one with some savory herbs and lavender. It adds a lot of complexity without being flowery or perfumey.

I have a giant 2lb bag of baby carrots I bought and didn't use nearly enough of ... I am thinking of a savory carrot soup but don't really want the usual carrot-ginger blended thing. I've had a cold and been drinking a lot of ginger poo poo and cough drops and I'm tired of it. Either a brothy or a blended soup is fine, any other flavors are great (I'll admit that I don't love horseradish) I just don't want ginger. Any ideas?

I've got it dry brining now in a nice spicy salt rub a local market makes in-house. Thanks for the tip. Can you give any details on that lavender herb brine? Sounds really interesting - i'd love to see specifics.

Here's the carrots entry from the flavor bible. Maybe it'll spark something. The flavor affinities section at the very end is usually pretty useful.

Anne Whateley posted:

If it's that close to 1", I would just reverse-sear

Sounds good. I'll post a pic if it comes out looking tasty.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

The King Arthur yeast waffle recipe is good and easy and best made the night before.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I'd go with brothy with beef or lamb and potato or barley to augment the carrots. It depends on how much you want to make if you use the whole rest of the bag, but you could go carrot-heavy on it.

For blended, what about a tomato & carrot blended soup done with paprika, thyme, basil, and maybe black pepper?

I don't have recipes for these, but honestly I never use a recipe for 90% of soups I make - just put what sounds good in a pot, add some broth, and unless you either grossly over or under-salt it, it's almost impossible to gently caress up.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 20, 2019

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Tomorrow I'm making Beef Wellington because I'm too poor to go out and eat it. Any suggestions or gotchas I should look out for?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
Dry brined and reverse seared that chop.

Cooked it at 175 for a few hours til it came up to 148 in the center (used a probe). Stuck it in the freezer for ten minutes then blasted it in cast iron. Made a shallot dijon cream pan sauce.

I'm eating it now. It's real good.

Eh, throwing it back in for a few more mins. A bit rarer at ~150 than I like.

fart store fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 21, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

fart store posted:

Dry brined and reverse seared that chop.

Cooked it at 175 for a few hours til it came up to 148 in the center (used a probe). Stuck it in the freezer for ten minutes then blasted it in cast iron. Made a shallot dijon cream pan sauce.

I'm eating it now. It's real good.

Eh, throwing it back in for a few more mins. A bit rarer at ~150 than I like.

:jackbud:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

sterster posted:

Tomorrow I'm making Beef Wellington because I'm too poor to go out and eat it. Any suggestions or gotchas I should look out for?

Mince the mushrooms a little finer then you would normally. And definitely add a very small smear of hot English mustard to the top of the beef before assembly.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Shred and make carrot and daikon quick pickles.

Shred and make savory carrot salad with cumin.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is that what “dry brine” really means?

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
I'm hosting a Superbowl party at my house and I thought it would be cool if I made food representative of the cities involved in the game. Originally I was hoping the two teams would be Kansas City and New Orleans so I could just make BBQ and Cajun food.

Now that the two teams involved are Los Angeles and Boston, what foods come to mind when you think of these two places?

A google search just shows me my favorite restaurants in LA, and while I'd love to just make egg slut sandwiches and cumin toothpick lamb, I don't think those actually fit the bill. Of course I could always just make wings and pizza, but I thought it could be fun to make something based around 2 competing food cultures.

TLDR: What foods do you think of when you think about LA and Boston?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Scott Justice posted:

Boston
Boston Bakes Beans
Lobster Rolls
Boston Cream Pie
Clam Chowder

LA
A melting pot of Asian/Philippine/Thai/Japanese and Mexican food...

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Korean bbq tacos
Carne Asada fries
Are definitely two appropriate foods I associate with the west coast.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Scott Justice posted:

Mediocre tacos, and clam chowder.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dragon roll shushi

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Street tacos for LA for sure, I strongly recommend carnitas. For a party type item maybe make a Boston baked beans flavor bean dip? Or a "clam chowder" clam dip?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Make cajun food anyway because New Orleans got robbed.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've got a nice sirloin tip roast that I want to do up, but I really don't feel like a traditional roast. Anyone have any good recipes?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I've got a nice sirloin tip roast that I want to do up, but I really don't feel like a traditional roast. Anyone have any good recipes?

Search for tri-tip recipes if it's small. Alternatively, corn a beef.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

For the super bowl, I’ve been tasked with bringing three dishes: my teriyaki chicken wings (actually Tyler Florence’s recipe, always a big hit), a dessert and deviled eggs.

So I’m looking for an interesting deviled egg recipe. Last year I brought tea eggs, and I think people were put off by the marbled appearance.

Also looking for dessert ideas. My go to summer dessert is a mixed berry trifle, but that seems off in January (plus I’m not sure about the quality of fresh berries in January).

Ideas?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sriracha deviled eggs

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

LongSack posted:

For the super bowl, I’ve been tasked with bringing three dishes: my teriyaki chicken wings (actually Tyler Florence’s recipe, always a big hit), a dessert and deviled eggs.

So I’m looking for an interesting deviled egg recipe. Last year I brought tea eggs, and I think people were put off by the marbled appearance.

Also looking for dessert ideas. My go to summer dessert is a mixed berry trifle, but that seems off in January (plus I’m not sure about the quality of fresh berries in January).

Ideas?

I don't have a fancy thing, but I make my deviled eggs with french's mustard, and beau monde seasoning and people go apeshit for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For a super bowl thing, I would do a dessert in individual portions that's an elevated comfort food, not super classy. Something like salted brown butter Rice Krispie treats or Mexican chocolate brownies. Ymmv, you know the vibe of the crowd/party better