Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ensign Suarka (Female Ferengi tactical officer.)

Suarka was born on a world on the borders of Federation and Kilngon space, her parents brought there by lucrative trade potential that the end of the Dominion War brought to the region. She has had very little contact with 'traditional' Ferengi, and has very little patience with them. She joined Starfleet as tensions mounted with the Klingons, making it difficult to make a living trading on an increasingly hostile border. Her parents were killed shortly after the outbreak of war with the Klingons which has left her mistrustful of the Klingon Empire ever since, though she is willing to trust individual Klingons.

Suarka is a thinker. She is not one to act quickly or rashly in most situations, but once her mind is made up in a matter she has a tendency to take rapid and decisive action. She is also a strategist, tending to look at any given situation in terms of how the best possible position can be gained from it. Most importantly she tries to maintain an open mind in any situation.

Suarka tries to keep up an extremely professional image and demeanor, but she does have a dark sense of humor that spills out from time to time. She enjoys meeting new people and cultures (one of the reasons she joined starfleet). She detests any sort of discrimination, especially involving gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Submitting a Romulan BOFF:

Omun Malkema (Any Specialization):

Omun Malkema was technically born on Romulus, but his parents were consummate wanderers, so as soon as Omun was old enough to take to the rigours of spaceflight he joined them in their small courier/trading business. Buying and owning a private starship was difficult under the old Star Empire's laws; as far as Omun was able to find out, one or both of his parents had somehow fell in some sweet spot in the Tal Shiar's auspices- worth the trouble of exile, yet not enough of execution. Beyond that, Omun felt it prudent to not inquire (or at least, not elaborate).

Besides, the destruction of Romulus made all those questions irrelevant anyway. Omun and his parents did their best to help (indeed, his small ship might have been one of many supplying Virinat in its early days), but in the post-Hobus chaos, both his parents lost their lives. Tired, broken and not more than a little lost, Omun sold his family's ship, donated the proceeds to aid organizations helping the Romulans, and joined the Republic.

Everything but the last sentence above is a lie. Omun was born into the Tal Shiar, his parents deep cover agents. However, years spent among aliens turned Omun into somewhat of a xenophile, and a life outside the Star Empire helped him see its flaws. Eventually, all this boiled over when he tried to stop his parents from sabotaging a vital Republic station; the argument turned into a firefight, and his parents discovered they trained Omun a little too well.

There's a saying: You cannot disappoint a pessimist- they're either usually right or pleasantly surprised, and Omun is the epitome of this attitude. He's rarely sad, but neither is he a happy man, instead facing problems with a resigned smile and a joke (usually bad). The only time when this facade breaks is when he hears rumours of the Tal Shiar- in such cases, a visibly shaken Omun usually advises running, hiding or both.

(Name generated here; feel free to change the name if you want. I also made Omun a dude, but if you think a woman would suit the story better somehow, I'm not gonna stop you.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Free t5 ships are today's giveaway in STO.

If you have an STO account, get yourself a free tier 5 carrier today!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Oh God that Orion bio.....

bad bad bad bad bad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mauman posted:

Oh God that Orion bio.....

bad bad bad bad bad.

It is, arguably, not even the worst one.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

This is the worst one:

No wait I mean this one is:

e: nevermind, it's this one:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

This is the worst one:

This is the best one.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

OK obviously I need to restart this LP from the beginning now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So how many times has the 'cadet crew under an experienced captain for an easy first cruise, whoops your captain's dead' thing get played out in Star Trek?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Synthbuttrange posted:

So how many times has the 'cadet crew under an experienced captain for an easy first cruise, whoops your captain's dead' thing get played out in Star Trek?

Off the top of my head, the only example from the shows is the USS Valiant from Deep Space Nine - with the caveat that that one ended with all the plucky heroic cadets dead and their brilliant plan to turn the course of the war failed utterly. :v:

Then the Enterprise from JJTrek.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 20, 2019

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Please don't spoil the other tutorials.

e; thanks

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 20, 2019

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I believe we have our science officer.

quote:

Science officer Benson Li Wei
Written by Bootcha and PoptartsNinja

The son of a freighter captain and his chief engineer, Li Wei’s (李伟) feet didn't touch the surface of a planet until he was twelve years old. He grew up in space, surrounded by the wonders of the universe, and never staying in one place for more than a few weeks. Li Wei's parents spent most of their time tending to the needs of the S.S. Jiuhua Shan (九华山). Time with Li Wei was precious and rare to his parents, who chose to spend what few free hours they had giving him the happiest home life they could. Li Wei's education came almost entirely from holodeck programs with an educational bent. He developed a passion for botany at a young age, maintaining an “arboretum” in an unused supply closet in the cargo hold.

Li Wei's parents often downloaded new coursework using only "developmental milestones" and the educational content of the coursework with little concern for whom the educational programs were designed. As such, Li Wei was presented with educational material designed for humans, tellarites, andorians, vulcans, bolians, bajorans, and numerous others. Presented with various often-conflicting educational philosophies, Li Wei was constantly kept on his toes analyzing not only the coursework but adapting his thinking to match what the holoprograms expected of him. Rather than being a hindrance, his haphazard education lent him a humble, analytical approach to problem solving that lets him compartmentalize new or unexpected information and break tasks into manageable chunks.

The Jiuhua Shan wasn't a large vessel, and holographic socialization only went so far, so when he came of age, Li Wei’s parents decided he needed to broaden his horizons … and got him a berth on a different freighter of the same make and model as the one he grew up on. Unfortunately, his new crew were less forgiving of his “quirks,” especially his tendency to come up with esoteric and bizarre ways to “streamline” his job so he could spend more time with his flora studies. He was reprimanded 4 times by his captain: once for reprogramming shipping manifests based on genealogy trees, twice for pollen contamination, and once for standing in the middle of the cargo bay and screaming at his hands for 16 minutes (the last being a result of late-onset toxic micro-needles from an offworld cactus of his). At the urging of pretty much everyone in his life, he applied to Starfleet Academy.

Li Wei's love of flora helped him at the Academy's biology department, particularly with cataloging large flora databases coming in from Starfleet's exploration of the universe. However that passion did not find its way to other studies, his grades falling below average in the areas of Applied Art in Visual Presentation (no artistic ability), Statistical Analysis (clumsy with theoretical math), and Marine Ecology (thalassophobia). Despite these shortcomings, he was able to graduate in the middle of his class, securing himself a position in Science Archives and Records. For a while Li Wei was happy, but he got an itch to be the person discovering what he was cataloging back in the cramped offices of Archives and Records. And so he put in a request for a science officer position on a Starfleet vessel.

Voting remains open for which of our four original bridge officers to keep. Current count is Flores 4, T'Vrell 3, the others have 0. If T'Vrell remains on the ship, Li Wei will be her subordinate.

With sweet geek swag and Xerophyte's permissions, I'll work on combining their two Ferengi bios.

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011
Elisa Flores

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I suppose I'm biased because Poptarts and I birthed our beautiful baby boy and we want to see him get ahead in life...

Keep Flores

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Okay, here's my throw up for attempt at a 'bad' character.

Liberated Borg Female

Ensign Marybeth Sue

Some officers are destined for greatness. Some think they are. Ensign Sue was definitely one of the latter. For whatever reason, she thought she had a pedigree the likes of which would change the galaxy. Convinced from a young age that her life would be among the most important individuals to ever be in the history of the galaxy, Marybeth was intent on recording it for posterity.

Convinced that people from the far off future would be watching her life for useful insights, she would grow into the pattern of narrating what she was doing constantly for posterity. It came off as more eccentric in nature to most, and while her total self assuredness in her own capabilities were offputting to many, her occasional obliviousness came off as amusing and her willingness to pitch in with other students at the academy to help them made her at least tolerated. Of course Marybeth presumed they would all be in awe of her complete flawlessness and charisma.

Cadet Sue ended up on a 'Tactical' track (Red totally clashed with her hair). On a training cruise on the USS Yankovic, the training vessel was disabled by a passing Borg probe when the ship strayed too close to a pattern of unusual subspace non-graviometric phenomenon. There, Cadet Sue for the first time in her life had terror. Then fear. Then oblivion. Then purpose.

How long was she a drone? Long enough to remember injecting two other people in her ship with nanites. Long enough for however long it was later when the sphere she was on to be disabled to have what few drones were still 'active' rescued. Long enough to see herself kill two more Starfleet officers dying to try and save as many beings as possible because 'no one gets left behind'. Long enough to see that her life wasn't going to be a grand adventure.

But long enough for when she had those cybernetic prosthetics mostly removed, and when she had finished going through therapy for the worst of it that she had a debt to pay back. Because Starfleet didn't leave her behind and didn't accept her being left behind as 'acceptable losses' in war. So she would pay it forwards. But narrate. Always, alwyas narrate.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Moon Slayer posted:

With sweet geek swag and Xerophyte's permissions, I'll work on combining their two Ferengi bios.

Sure, I'm not fussy about the integrity of my barely sketched out original character do not steal here. Sane narrative first, first-wave feminism with lobes later.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Moon Slayer posted:

I believe we have our science officer.

Voting remains open for which of our four original bridge officers to keep. Current count is Flores 4, T'Vrell 3, the others have 0. If T'Vrell remains on the ship, Li Wei will be her subordinate.

It's your Lp have a blast.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
a) Keep Flores, Flores is cool. Also T'Vrell if I'm allowed a second.

b)
Chief Engineer: Ensign Anna Vasiliev (female liberated Borg engineering officer)

Ensign Vasiliev was born and raised on the Federation's Vega colony, and spent her youth fixing things and also blowing them up. For her senior project in high school she tried to create a robot to take the Academy entrance exams in her place. It didn't work, but her enthusiasm was noted on her record, and she found a posting without too much trouble after graduation. None of that ended up helping her much when the Borg attacked Vega colony while she was home on leave.

A combination of a weakened immune system due to a cold and being asleep when the attack began meant that the nanoprobes assimilated her almost instantly. Had it not been for the actions of Cadet Izlim, her biological distinctiveness would have been permanently adapted to service the Borg. Fortunately, she was rescued instead, and is looking forward to finding out what sort of interesting (read: terrifying and potentially lethal) things she can do with technology now that she's a cyborg.

(tl;dr assimilated for about seven minutes and rescued in the last update, already in Starfleet so transfers are easy, weirdly pumped about being a supertech cyborg )

c)

Cythereal posted:

Vulcan wasn't always a desert, it was once a lush and fertile planet. The scorching desert world seen in Star Trek is after a thousand or two years of Mad Max.

I'm not trying to call you out on this, but do you have a source on that? I'd like to read about it but everything I found was "yeah solar flares are a heck of a thing for a planet to be nearby eh"

Dalris Othaine fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 20, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dalris Othaine posted:

I'm not trying to call you out on this, but do you have a source on that? I'd like to read about it but everything I found was "yeah solar flares are a heck of a thing for a planet to be nearby eh"

Huh, now that I've read over Memory Alpha, it looks like I goofed and this is indeed Trek apocrypha. According to Memory Alpha, Trek's writers didn't want Vulcan to be as desolate a planet as it tends to be, they wanted Vulcan to be a thriving high-tech planet with billions of people as befitting the second most important world in the Federation but, well, that poo poo's expensive and when you're already in southern California filming sets in the desert is cheap. :v:

Though the apocalyptic scale of the wars that devastated Vulcan is indeed canon - there was a TNG episode about a treasure hunt for a lost Vulcan doomsday weapon from that time.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

And Enterprise has a flashback that shows nuclear bombs going off. Radiation sickness from the fallout is what actually killed Surak (Vulcan Confucius).

Current vote tallies:
Keep Flores: 7
Keep T'Vrell: 3
Keep Zarva: 0
Keep Kolez: lol

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Turns out the Romulans were actually the well-adjusted Vulcans after all.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Everyone I say this to disagrees with me but I really think Enterprise should have gotten another season. They were doing some good stuff and they would have done the Romulan War well.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Everyone I say this to disagrees with me but I really think Enterprise should have gotten another season. They were doing some good stuff and they would have done the Romulan War well.

:yeah:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

wiegieman posted:

They really should have. They were planning to refit the NX-01 into a proto-Connie with eggshell exterior and everything.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 20, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Especially since they were going to bring Jeffrey Combs on board as a regular member of the cast as an Andorian liaison, ala T'Pol.

T'Pol herself was planned to be revealed as being half-Romulan, the actress' idea since she felt T'Pol was written terribly as a Vulcan (Blaylock was a huge Trek geek, to say she's disillusioned would be a major understatement).

They'd gotten the rights for, and were planning to do, a Kzinti episode. This was the concept art for the Kzinti ship:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

That's a lobster

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I think I blew one of them up in a Sonic game once.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

wiegieman posted:

Nah. It was on a real upswing towards the end, with Manny Coto having taken over from Berman and Braga. It was starting to really find its way, but the damage had been done and then Braga and Berman did what they did with 'These Are The Voyages...'

Berman and Braga are not very good at Star Trek.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They really should have. They were planning to refit the NX-01 into a proto-Connie with eggshell exterior and everything.

This is now in the game as a T6 ship. It’s beautiful and very good.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

PoptartsNinja posted:

Man, I love the Enterprise theme song. Best part of the show. I know it's from Patch Adams, but still, my association with it is Enterprise.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Man, I love the Enterprise theme song. Best part of the show. I know it's from Patch Adams, but still, my association with it is Enterprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P4IlgtwHmA

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Discovery intro matches Game of Thrones' intro music perfectly. For best effect fullscreen the ST:D intro.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Holy poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dawgstar posted:

Nah. It was on a real upswing towards the end, with Manny Coto having taken over from Berman and Braga. It was starting to really find its way, but the damage had been done and then Braga and Berman did what they did with 'These Are The Voyages...'

Berman and Braga are not very good at Star Trek.

A few other tidbits I've heard about the planned next season:

They wanted to do first contact with TNG Federation races like the Betazoids, Trill, and Bolians, establishing them as friendly trading partners of the early Federation before they join sometime in the next hundred years or so.

There was the idea to do a Risa episode or mini-arc exploring who the Risan people actually are and their history, and have them be the first post-founding race to join the Federation.

The Klingons were going to largely sit the season out due to commencing the Great Tribble Hunt, and it would have been suggested that the Romulans or Ferengi were using tribbles as ecological bioweapons to sabotage the ecospheres of Klingon worlds.

Someone really wanted to do an El-Aurian episode, showing a bit about them before the Borg destroyed their world, and they wanted to see if Whoopi Goldberg would be down for pre-reprising Guinan.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

You sure? Because I'm pretty sure I saw that image first associated with the SFB Kzinti, with the out-board missile/drone launchers and the triple engine arrangement. Just more curves and less angles.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

berryjon posted:

You sure? Because I'm pretty sure I saw that image first associated with the SFB Kzinti, with the out-board missile/drone launchers and the triple engine arrangement. Just more curves and less angles.

It's on Memory Alpha as concept art for Enterprise, and Trekkies are nothing if not obsessive spergs.

So this isn't a completely content-empty post, here's a few more STO original ships that you'll never see as NPCs that I think hit the mark pretty well.

The Aelahl class warbird, built for the Romulan Republic's expedition into [REDACTED]. Smaller than the D'deridex, longer but narrower than a Mogai. One of my personal favorite STO-original warbirds.

The Mogh class battlecruiser, commissioned by the KDF as a smaller, faster modern battlecruiser than the likes of the ponderous Negh'var. Just because Worf named it after his dad doesn't mean it's bad.

Flores is going to be disappointed, the Vesta's replacement, the Brigid class, is already in service. :v: The Vesta is tier 5, the Brigid is the tier 6 counterpart, though if you own both you can use the Vesta's skin instead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I liked my Negh'var. I thought it was cool in the show and impressive to look at, although there's nothing quite to take the wind out of your solar sails than admiring your brand new ship you just got to have someone warp a giant Jem'Hadar ship right on top of it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

How do the Kzinti work exactly? They have a fairly distinctive history with humans I don't see porting over well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're around and there was sort-of a war but they're simultaneously not around and nobody acknowledges that there was a war.

They're Schroedinger's Catpeople.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

How do the Kzinti work exactly? They have a fairly distinctive history with humans I don't see porting over well.

Judging from their sole animated series appearance, it seemed like they fought the proto-federation way back when, and were left as the equivalent of thugs operating out of police cars after their defeat, left as a historical footnote as their neighbors grew more powerful.

edit- not to insult PoptartsNinja's great portrayal of one back in his second thread.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 21, 2019