Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Landmarks help you orientate your cardinal directions!! Even if the sun doesn’t help you landmarks should.

Lake Ontario is south and hard to lose. Is the thing between you and the lake or no? Is it possible to live on a coast and lose track of where land ends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Landmarks help you orientate your cardinal directions!! Even if the sun doesn’t help you landmarks should.

Lake Ontario is south and hard to lose. Is the thing between you and the lake or no?

Sure I use landmarks, I mean when someone only uses landmarks and no NWSE, so that directions are just a series of "turn left at this shop, turn right at that corner, go straight there" which takes forever to explain

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I have a perfectly fine sense of direction, but my town is laid out like spaghetti. Yesterday I encountered some road work on my normal route home (going north) so I turned off figuring I would come out to the road I needed eventually, and somehow ended up south of where I'd started.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

burial posted:

I live in the US, but right on the border. My Sesame Street was delivered by antenna and had the segments with the otter, polar bear, and kickass lady pilot, goddamnit. This isn’t my fault.
:same: I still sing "The quarter has a caribou on it, on it..."

Shibawanko posted:

It's really dumb to me when I find a city map on the street somewhere, but it's not oriented north (instead it's usually oriented towards wherever the map is facing, ugh).
The vast majority of public-facing maps by far in Japan are not oriented north. Official maps, too: pedestrian maps on main thoroughfares, maps of the surrounding area in a subway or train station, even shopping mall maps. It's infuriating and disorienting. The same goes for maps in the Montreal RESO and Toronto PATH underground complexes--and when you're underground, without the sun or other tells to help, is when you most need to know which way you're facing/traveling.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Jan 20, 2019

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
“...and it’s worth 25 cents!” :hfive:

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Even though I've looked it up so many times I still mix up which direction the sun rises/sets in

I no kidding use an old Pink Floyd line to remember this.

"The sun is in the East, even though the day is done"
From the album The Final Cut, the song is about nuclear war

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lake Ontario is south and hard to lose. Is the thing between you and the lake or no? Is it possible to live on a coast and lose track of where land ends?

Lake Ontario is my North landmark!

Let's get on the fast ferry, have a goon meet!

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
It just snowed decently heavily here and so yesterday everyone apparently forgot how to drive. The guy in front of me on my way home was fishtailing around every single turn and lane change. Slow the gently caress down dipshit. He even overran a red light and had to reverse back behind the line. It snows every year, sometimes for months at a time, how do you not know how to drive in it?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

:same: I still sing "The quarter has a caribou on it, on it..."

The vast majority of public-facing maps by far in Japan are not oriented north. Official maps, too: pedestrian maps on main thoroughfares, maps of the surrounding area in a subway or train station, even shopping mall maps. It's infuriating and disorienting. The same goes for maps in the Montreal RESO and Toronto PATH underground complexes--and when you're underground, without the sun or other tells to help, is when you most need to know which way you're facing/traveling.

I know, usually combined with station exits that are called like "north exit" but are actually on the west side or something.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Google removed the compass rose from the latest Google maps update on Android and I'm so loving lost without it jfc why Google

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My first time in Japan was very confusing thanks to that. It was pouring down snow and I was walking from map to map trying to find my hotel dragging my luggage around trying not to break my leg slipping on all the ice, and was having no luck at all. Fortunately some japanese dude saw the white guy with half an inch of snow coating him knew I was lost and pointed me in the right direction.

also it was super weird for employees at the hotel to come out and start brushing off the snow i didn't get before walking in. Sometimes hospitality goes too far.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
^^^ god loving dammit i do not like when he has butt avatars

What I came here to post: I swear youtube specifically reads this thread to make suggestions. Out of 12, I’ve got 2 Jordan Petersons, a Ben Shapiro, a dude DESTROYING the idea of white privilege, and 3 of some idiot telling me the story of world war 2 with flash cartoons.

I don’t ever watch any of this poo poo youtube

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

^^^ god loving dammit i do not like when he has butt avatars

What I came here to post: I swear youtube specifically reads this thread to make suggestions. Out of 12, I’ve got 2 Jordan Petersons, a Ben Shapiro, a dude DESTROYING the idea of white privilege, and 3 of some idiot telling me the story of world war 2 with flash cartoons.

I don’t ever watch any of this poo poo youtube

i wasn't aware i was given one again...even though i always have avatars off, I hate having the rear end because it harms my wholesome posting image I strive to maintain.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

It's really dumb to me when I find a city map on the street somewhere, but it's not oriented north (instead it's usually oriented towards wherever the map is facing, ugh).

See, this is a map that would actually be useful to me. A north oriented map just adds the extra steps of having to get out something with a compass to see which way north is and then taking a photo of the map so I rotate it to be the right way around.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shibawanko posted:

I guess I also just use the position of the sun, if it's morning I know that it'll be roughly in the east, south at midday, west in the afternoon
Same, except with the sun in the north (or at night the big black region below the southern cross being south).

Last time I was in the northern hemisphere I spent half a day being every so slightly weirded out by the sun being in the wrong spot.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Same, except with the sun in the north (or at night the big black region below the southern cross being south).

Last time I was in the northern hemisphere I spent half a day being every so slightly weirded out by the sun being in the wrong spot.

At least we have christmas at the correct temperature

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In YouTube videos where it's just someone talking to camera and they have some little bit of text flash up in the corner of the screen for a couple of seconds. I always have to go back and hit pause to read it. Either leave it up there for long enough to read or don't include it.

And this especially applies to the jokey ones where it's obviously way too long and only flashes up for half a second because even though I know they don't expect people to read it, I have to anyway.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It is annoying how all the bananas are always gone from the office fruit basket by the time I get there. :(

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is annoying how all the bananas are always gone from the office fruit basket by the time I get there. :(

I'm very quick and close to the fruit and am definitely part of the reason why the bananas are gone first. If we happen to be at the same company, I'm sorry :(

It's annoying that they insist on putting oranges/apples in the basket, which are always left for last and sometimes not eaten at all.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Phosphine posted:

I'm very quick and close to the fruit and am definitely part of the reason why the bananas are gone first. If we happen to be at the same company, I'm sorry :(

It's annoying that they insist on putting oranges/apples in the basket, which are always left for last and sometimes not eaten at all.

When apples are in a fruit basket, and they're red delicious. Get good apples dammit!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phosphine posted:

It's always the pears that go last where I am.

I've never been a big fan of pears, unfortunately, but obviously I am not alone. :v:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

red delicious apples are the fruit equivalent of getting the full screen version dvd of a movie you like for christmas, why does anyone still grow them

achieving such a large market share with a product that's designed to go straight into the garbage is pretty genius, but everyone is wise to it now

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

artsy fartsy posted:

I can't remember this either for some reason (and it comes up a lot, because I do landscape photography) until I sing that song from that Disney movie

Sincere as the sun
Rising in the east
Tale as old as time
Song as old as rhyme
Beauty and the you get the idea

When I was a kid I remembered is as Japan is "the far east" and it is the land of the rising sun, therefore the sun rises in the east.

I also had the idea that cowboys are from the "old west" and as the trope goes always rode off into the sun set, therefore the sun sets in the west.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phosphine posted:

I love oranges but don’t put them in an office fruit basket- they are messy!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

the full screen version dvd of a movie

What is that?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

What is that?

where they stretch the 16:9 format to fill a 4:3 screen instead of having the normal black bars on the top/bottom.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pears are great but they take a gently caress-eon to ripen and then they turn into a balloon of cloying juice two days later

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Some of y’all never got lost in the woods as kids and it shows

If you do it enough you can feel which way east is in the same way you feel which way left is. Or whatever inferior direction your subconscious gloms onto idk

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Bomrek posted:

If you do it enough you can feel which way east is in the same way you feel which way left is. Or whatever inferior direction your subconscious gloms onto idk

Where I grew up in Florida the "woods" was like the size of a block or two. If you ever got lost somehow, you just had to walk until you found a road, pick a direction and keep turning right and you'll eventually get back home.

woods peeve from the past: my grandparents would always go in and dismantle the sort-of treehouse we built (just some boards of plywood nailed to branches to sit/lay on we got from a construction site) in the woods across from their house because they thought it encouraged non-christian-like activities. They just took the boards down though so we just had to re-nail it. They denied it but it was pretty obvious. They also banned me from entering one of our groupmember's house because he let me watch the movie Critters once. I still went and just watched the tv with him through the window outside, which they didn't mind for some reason.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bomrek posted:

I literally have to always think for like half a second which side is left and which is right when thinking about them. When I get flustered or otherwise preoccupied I tend to get left/right wrong since I don't have time to think about it. I drove my driving instructor mad when he wanted me to go into a specific direction by constantly going to the wrong one since I was concentrating on the actual driving so much.

It's probably some sort of really minor brain problem.

Andrast has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Jan 21, 2019

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Andrast posted:

I literally have to always think for like half a second which side is left and which is right when thinking about them. When I get flustered or otherwise preoccupied I tend to get left/right wrong since I don't have time to think about it. I drove my driving instructor mad when he wanted me to go into a specific direction by constantly going to the wrong one since I was concentrating on the actual driving so much.

It's probably some sort of really minor brain problem.

Do you have adhd? Part of it is spatial issues, I do the same thing

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

where they stretch the 16:9 format to fill a 4:3 screen instead of having the normal black bars on the top/bottom.

Generally they cut off the side(s), while sometimes also moving around (panning) in what was originally a still image.

It looks awful for 16:9 stuff and gets even worse at higher aspect ratios.

E: you get the reverse nowadays when people chop the top / bottom off some things that were originally filmed in 4:3 so there aren't black bars on the side. It's loving garbage.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jan 21, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I just realized you can actually turn off map rotation on the google maps android app, makes the whole thing much more pleasant to use. Whenever I used to zoom in on the map id turn it a fraction and id have to press the compass to reorient it so north is up, since north has no business being anywhere else but up

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Shibawanko posted:

I just realized you can actually turn off map rotation on the google maps android app, makes the whole thing much more pleasant to use. Whenever I used to zoom in on the map id turn it a fraction and id have to press the compass to reorient it so north is up, since north has no business being anywhere else but up

I didn't know this, thanks. That always drove me nuts. I'm zooming in, not loving trying to rotate the thing. Why would you ever want to rotate it?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Bomrek posted:

Or...I work night shift?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I didn't know this, thanks. That always drove me nuts. I'm zooming in, not loving trying to rotate the thing. Why would you ever want to rotate it?

Because orienting a map so that north on the map is pointing north (and that your direction of travel is facing away from you) is a pretty common thing to do when navigating.

It's what Google Maps etc do when you're getting directions, for example.

Doctor Spaceman has a new favorite as of 00:31 on Jan 22, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Because orienting a map so that north on the map is pointing north (and that your direction of travel is facing away from you) is a pretty common thing to do when navigating.

It's what Google Maps etc do when you're getting directions, for example.

When I'm using it in the car to navigate, which I rarely do anyway, I never use the actual navigate function because it does this. Instead I just keep it open on the map mode with the route displayed so I can follow it that way. Rotating maps drive me nuts.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

When I'm using it in the car to navigate, which I rarely do anyway, I never use the actual navigate function because it does this. Instead I just keep it open on the map mode with the route displayed so I can follow it that way. Rotating maps drive me nuts.

Same. It also peeves me when people slavishly adhere to the spoken directions, panic trying to change lanes after not getting forewarning to do so, etc.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

So how do you keep track of which way north is as you drive? Even using a paper map, rotating it as I go is the only way I can use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Don't most cars tell you what direction you're facing in the rear view mirror these days?