Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Votlook posted:

I once heard a system administrator say "Does that /dev/null directory even exist?" while inspecting a bash script we delivered.

"Yes; yes it does. And for that comment, we will be directing your paycheque there for the next month."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Not everyone has used *NIX systems extensively. Or at all.

Like, I've spent my entire career working in Windows. That's not to say that I've never used Linux, but if we made a pie chart of "hours spent using OS", I don't even think the *NIX slice would be visible. I know what grep is but don't think I've ever used the command.
I've spent 99% of my work time on windows too. MSYS2, cygwin, and linux subsystem for windows are all decent depending on use case. And hopefully sshing into linux servers counts as on windows still given lots of my workflows were mixed like that.

With modern editors/IDEs, is there even a difference anymore given how awesome VSCode is, the command-line stuff is mostly useful for project janitoring, setting up environments to run in, and when combined with git. And even with git, it's not nearly as useful and prolific as it was with CVS/SVN.

I'd find it either suspicious or irrelevant if they didn't know what grep is depending on the language used and the projects they've had experience with. At the same time, they're a junior dev so it doesn't matter. grep, like all GNU, takes half a second to learn and a lifetime of man, --help, or googling to never master. And by that I mean, it's easy to know what a command can be used for but most are used infrequently enough that you never really commit it to memory and just look it up.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 5, 2019

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Khorne posted:

they're a junior dev so it doesn't matter. grep, like all GNU, takes half a second to learn and a lifetime of man, --help, or googling to never master. And by that I mean, it's easy to know what a command can be used for but most are used infrequently enough that you never really commit it to memory and just look it up.

:emptyquote:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Votlook posted:

I once heard a system administrator say "Does that /dev/null directory even exist?" while inspecting a bash script we delivered.
Supposedly this was their top guy for Linux.

:thejoke:?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Err on the side of durr.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I told a developer with 5 years of experience to recreate the query that was dividing by zero. He said "it's not zero.."

He sent me the query he used, on a massive report that was dividing by zero for one company for one product group for one month. The entire query he used:

select sum(dollars) from dw_sales

Auglucujfjfifj

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Loutre posted:

I told a developer with 5 years of experience to recreate the query that was dividing by zero. He said "it's not zero.."

He sent me the query he used, on a massive report that was dividing by zero for one company for one product group for one month. The entire query he used:

Auglucujfjfifj

Bugfix: merged product group X into product group Y in org chart.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

CPColin posted:

"What is grep?"
Maybe don't hurt them.
Don't hurt them;
just teach.

:golfclap:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
From my friend's notes going through some horrible old code:

quote:

Duplicated “6D – Superannuation expenses” as there is also “6D_Superannuation expenses” in the AL15 and AL16 years

- Duplicated “W2 - Wages Withholding” as there is also “W2 – Wages withholding” in the AL15 and AL16 years

- Duplicated “1B – GST Dr” as there is also “1B - GST Cr”

o This is both because of the Ascii character number of the “-“ being 45 and 150

o In “1B – GST Dr” Dr should be Cr

- Duplicated “G1 - Sales” as there is also “G1 – Sales” in the AL15 and AL16 years

o This is both because of the Ascii character number of the “-“ being 45 and 150

Oh they also have
D_ Superannuation expenses
D_Superannuation expenses

ontop of the
6D – Superannuation expenses
6D_Superannuation expenses

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Loutre posted:

Auglucujfjfifj

Just buy the product once a month yourself - problem solved!

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Markus Elfring is still at it.. I still believe he must be at least partially a bot.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Athas posted:

Markus Elfring is still at it.. I still believe he must be at least partially a bot.

Love that dude.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Athas posted:

you can now have your static analysis/linting presented to you by a chatbot written by someone whose sole knowledge of persuasive writing is the wikipedia article about the socratic method

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I don't think he's a bot, but he's clearly following a script at least initially.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Doom Mathematic posted:

I don't think he's a bot, but he's clearly following a script at least initially.

AI or OCD or AI-assisted OCD? Who knows?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Is it really true AI if it isn't susceptible to the same imperfections as we are?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

If he can't pass a Turing test he does not merit being treated as a human imo.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Does it please you to believe he does not merit being treated as a human imo?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

check out his profile

he actually got some other poor sap to change a name that started with _ shortly after numpy shut him down

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Changing your preprocesser guards to use names that aren't reserved takes like two minutes and doesn't have any downsides and refusing to do it out of spite is dumb.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Plorkyeran posted:

Changing your preprocesser guards to use names that aren't reserved takes like two minutes and doesn't have any downsides and refusing to do it out of spite is dumb.
Yes, sounds like a job for a bot.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Plorkyeran posted:

Or there is more important work for the people volunteering their time to manage the library. They said they would take a PR.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Plorkyeran posted:

Sure, so why didn't he open a PR doing just that?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just use pragma once to really short circuit the bots.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i wouldnt trust any PR from markus elfring given that he has a CVE to his name lol

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious Dish posted:

i wouldnt trust any PR from markus elfring given that he has a CVE to his name lol

This sounds interesting

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

• Do you think that maintainers are obligated to answer requests from people who can't pass the Turing test?
  • Which details do you find “cryptic” from the discussion we're having?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Refusing to take a patch out of spite is dumb. Refusing to spend your own time writing a patch when there’s zero evidence that it’s causing any problems for anyone is fine.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious Dish posted:

• Do you think that maintainers are obligated to answer requests from people who can't pass the Turing test?
  • Which details do you find “cryptic” from the discussion we're having?

I am looking for constructive responses. Disagreements can trigger special communication challenges.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

xtal posted:

I am looking for constructive responses. Disagreements can trigger special communication challenges.

Would you like to achieve that this software does not have special communication challenges?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

xtal posted:

:hmmyes:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Beamed posted:

Sure, so why didn't he open a PR doing just that?

Because if he is actually a human who is genuinely trying to communicate then there is something deeply wrong with him.

Going "meh, I don't see a reason to care" is a perfectly reasonable response to getting a Markus Elfring bug report. Going "eh, might as well I guess" is also a perfectly reasonable response and doesn't make you a "poor sap".

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Jazerus posted:

Would you like to achieve that this software does not have special communication challenges?

shut up eliza

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

This sounds interesting

trying to find the exact LKML thread but one of his patches that he tricked a subsystem maintainer into accidentally accepting removed a vital check for no reason which effectively ended up with an attacker-controlled pointer set. Other times his patches don't even compile and break the build.

Basically, he's burnt up all of his goodwill at this point. Not trusting his motivations or his patches is the sensible response. It's not rejecting a patch out of spite, it's rejecting a patch from a contributor who has caused issues in the past without remorse or ability to communicate.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
People that blindly fix compiler and static analyzer warnings are my biggest pet peeve.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

SupSuper posted:

People that blindly fix compiler and static analyzer warnings are my biggest pet peeve.

:same:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

SupSuper posted:

Not sure if they’re worse than people who don’t evaluate them at all.

Also, turn on spell check. Namaste.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
Someone in my scrum team actually defended calling external web APIs inside of not only a database transaction, but a performance critical transaction.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Joda posted:

Someone in my scrum team actually defended calling external web APIs inside of not only a database transaction, but a performance critical transaction.

Like in a "we should profile this and see if it's actually a problem" way, or an "obviously this is completely fine and there's something wrong with you if don't see that" way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Like in a "we should profile this and see if it's actually a problem" way, or an "obviously this is completely fine and there's something wrong with you if don't see that" way?

In a, "this has to fail and rollback if their side fails, and this is the only way to do it" way. Which is pretty much the way we do it here. No one ever tries to find proper solutions, and if they ask for the time, they get shut down. Also, it definitely is a problem. It's really a generic integration against multiple different APIs, that regularly fails to work, and consistently hangs for seconds.