Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
the kids were indoctrinated into some insane pro life beliefs (and likely a bunch of other stuff) enough to go out and march for it, and people think their lives aren't already ruined lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Booourns posted:

I'm not sure I understand the people saying these kids lives are forever ruined, couldn't the kids acknowledge that what they did is wrong, apologize and work to be less racist shitheads? Or is that something they can't even imagine someone else doing

Ideally that's what should happen. High school kids do dumb poo poo. This a good opportunity to take them aside and explain to them the dumb poo poo they did and using it as a learning point. But it makes people feel better to denounce them as the Hitler Youth and hope that their lives are forever ruined.

I really don't think they should be expelled though. My reason for this is they were at a school function with school chaperones. It's the adult's job to exercise good judgement and control the situation. It's why society makes a distinction between legal adults and children.

https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/2019/01/20/students-seen-mocking-native-americans-could-face-expulsion/

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

SimonCat posted:

So now we're back to black people can't be racist because they hold no political power as an excuse for having lovely opinions.

show me anyone itt who’s excusing their behavior.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

https://twitter.com/mrFawkes51/status/1087212573525565440?s=19

Pretty sure that want a white power sign until 2017, but I posted this to show the blackface. Look how lovely these kids are

TBF it looks like the school colors are black and white based on how everyone is dressed (I tried verifying via thwir website but it's down for some reason).
They may have just painted themselves for the game like a lot of superfans and were dumb enough to not realize what it looks like/why heckling a black player when you look like that would be a awful idea.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Rand Brittain posted:

We didn't say they weren't racist; we said we don't care because they're a bunch of weirdos yelling on a street corner.

We do care about the Catholic school kids because they're a bunch of awful, awful people who are on the production line for positions of power.

Is that Catholic school part of the Skull and Bones secret society or something?

Also lol at the notion that we don't have to care about certain levels of discrimination. Jeez, quit whining about the public intimidation and discrimination, minorities and LGBT community, it's only weirdos, WE DONT CARE

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Xand_Man posted:

They may have just painted themselves for the game like a lot of superfans and were dumb enough to not realize what it looks like/why heckling a black player when you look like that would be a awful idea.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?lang=en

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
There’s some incredibly bad takes around the issue of the school kids on Twitter. But this was by far my favourite.

https://twitter.com/pamelaparesky/status/1087219284726697985?s=21

:psyduck:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Uh no. blackface is never acceptable and any sane teacher or parent would not have let their kid wear that to a game unless they we're racist already and wanted to cause scenes. It's well known for decades how racist blackface is. That is a great sign of how those kids and school are.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Rex-Goliath posted:

show me anyone itt who’s excusing their behavior.

Rand Brittain posted:

We didn't say they weren't racist; we said we don't care because they're a bunch of weirdos yelling on a street corner.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Xand_Man posted:

TBF it looks like the school colors are black and white based on how everyone is dressed (I tried verifying via thwir website but it's down for some reason).

i can think of a ton of patterns you can draw in your face in black and white which would be totally fine. stripes, checkers, etc. you would think at some point the teachers would take them aside and say blackface was off limits

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Xand_Man posted:

With everything we've heard about the school, you're really showing your own rear end to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i’m not reading that as him saying it’s ok or not racist but you guys do you i guess

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Xand_Man posted:

The only way this would make sense is if their school mascot was the mascot from the old Darkie toothpaste

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pretty sure that want a white power sign until 2017, but I posted this to show the blackface. Look how lovely these kids are

The WP hand sign has been a thing since the 80s. The visible hand is doing the W.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I am 100% behind banning blackface at school events for any reason; I'm just saying they may not have thought it through because TEENS ARE DUMB AS gently caress

Rex-Goliath posted:

i can think of a ton of patterns you can draw in your face in black and white which would be totally fine. stripes, checkers, etc. you would think at some point the teachers would take them aside and say blackface was off limits

...and that's a good point actually. gently caress those guys.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 21, 2019

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Xand_Man posted:

I am 100% behind banning blackface at school events for any reason; I'm just saying they may not have thought it through because TEENS ARE DUMB AS gently caress

Parents, teachers, administrators should have known better as well.

It was probably something that didn't even cross their mind.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Rex-Goliath posted:

i’m not reading that as him saying it’s ok or not racist but you guys do you i guess

Rand Brittain posted:

we said we don't care

Seems the same to me

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lots of racist itt atm

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

As a kid I had to be George Washington Carver for a school event and to this day I’m glad my parents realized not to do black face at the recommendation of other parents

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I mean, I did dumb poo poo as a teenager too, but verbally harassing another person for being part of another ethnic group wasn't one of them. Mine mainly involved fire and bike stunts.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Every time this happens we get a couple people who haven't been paying any attention for six years rehashing the 'edgy teenage shithead? or literal Nazi?' debate like it actually matters. GOSH, HOW WILL THEY EVER LEARN IF WE'RE MEAN TO THEM

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Weird because when I was like eight I learned it from one of my brother's friends in like the late 80s and guess what.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If your school colors are black and white, why would you paint your face entirely black or use white only to give yourself exaggerated lips?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The WP hand sign has been a thing since the 80s. The visible hand is doing the W.

Wait what

Are you telling me that the 4ch hand thing has always been that?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Neo Rasa posted:

Weird because when I was like eight I learned it from one of my brother's friends in like the late 80s and guess what.

I used it as a kid but I genuinely thought it meant "ok." It wasn't until just a few years ago I knew of the other meaning of that hand signal.

If a thumbs up is racist then I'm hosed.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If your school colors are black and white, why would you paint your face entirely black or use white only to give yourself exaggerated lips?

Truly, a mystery. Let me put on my conical white thinking cap with eye slits.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xand_Man posted:

It was a blackout game, where all the students wear black shirts and paint themselves in black.

Now why they would have scheduled a blackout game to be against a team full of black players, well that is just anyone's guess, I suppose.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Your Taint posted:

I used it as a kid but I genuinely thought it meant "ok." It wasn't until just a few years ago I knew of the other meaning of that hand signal.

This IS what it has meant. Retconning it is dumb as gently caress, although I get that chud fucks have adapted it

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Your Taint posted:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Your Taint posted:

it definitely does mean 'okay,' it's only in the last few years that the racists have successfully subverted the meaning and even there, it's only going to be a particular subset of pretty-online people that understand the intentionally-racist white power meaning.

hence all the arguing over it when, say, one of stephen miller's disciples does it repeatedly on camera in a hearing, and the complete refusal of older journalists to even admit it was a possibility

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

mdemone posted:

It was a blackout game, where all the students wear black shirts and paint themselves in black.

Now why they would have scheduled a blackout game to be against a team full of black players, well that is just anyone's guess, I suppose.

There is no excuse for painting yourself with blackface. It's racism.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Wait what

Are you telling me that the 4ch hand thing has always been that?

There is a different handsign from the "ok" one that has recently been used. That is the WP sign and it's the one the teen is using in the photo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mdemone posted:

Also to be clear as someone who went to a high school where sports were huge, never once has 'blackout' meant 'paint yourself'. If people wanted to go nuts they'd wear the full body black suits or whatever but somehow my public school in the actual south managed to say 'and yea if you show up in blackface you're fuckin suspended, idiot'.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/thecjpearson/status/1087341097091825666

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Oh no, now duck lips are racist fuuuuuuck

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

moostaffa posted:

There is no excuse for painting yourself with blackface. It's racism.

...ye-es, that was my point. The school itself encouraged it, is what I am also saying.

sexpig by night posted:

Also to be clear as someone who went to a high school where sports were huge, never once has 'blackout' meant 'paint yourself'. If people wanted to go nuts they'd wear the full body black suits or whatever but somehow my public school in the actual south managed to say 'and yea if you show up in blackface you're fuckin suspended, idiot'.

And also this.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It was terrible when those kids were shot by police for standing around in their yards.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

1. Punch all Nazis

2. Racist “teenage exuberance” is still racist.

3. It’s a rich white kid prep school. Don’t even bother trying to both-sides it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1086385269585203200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

There Bias Two posted:

There is a different handsign from the "ok" one that has recently been used. That is the WP sign and it's the one the teen is using in the photo.

I need you to better explain this because all I see is that kid screaming and doing the Spiderman webshooter hand motion