Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
My volcano CR10s runs PLA at 0.8 nozzle, 0.3 layers, 80mm/sec printing speed, at 230C. The filament spool turns about 2RPM, it's so loving nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Just found this vid from Makers Muse on XT60 connectors on the Ender 3.

https://youtu.be/4yDp9frWkcg

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

bolind posted:

Cross posting from the Raspberry Pi thread:

So... bitcoin mining?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Greatest Living Man posted:

So... bitcoin mining?

That’d be a losing proposition even a decade ago. It’s intended for many, many automated tests on the ARM platform.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

insta posted:

My volcano CR10s runs PLA at 0.8 nozzle, 0.3 layers, 80mm/sec printing speed, at 230C. The filament spool turns about 2RPM, it's so loving nuts.

I had a knockoff volcano on a cr10 for a while and experienced the same like :woah:

You do start going through filament quickly tho

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So about mid-print filament changes...

Does anyone know what happens with M226 and Octoprint? Will it intercept the code and pause everything itself (and allow running a pause and unpause script), or will it pass it along to the controller?

--edit: Nevermind, it's @pause.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 17, 2019

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jestery posted:

I had a knockoff volcano on a cr10 for a while and experienced the same like :woah:

You do start going through filament quickly tho

you shouldnt lose any more filament if you are pushing the same volume.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

EVIL Gibson posted:

you shouldnt lose any more filament if you are pushing the same volume.

Yeah, I just mean it's a lot easier to push that volume through quickly with a cr-10 and a 0.8 volcano

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

So, I'm not planning to install one on my current printer, but just out of curiosity:
The bltouch and similar bed probes work by replacing the Z endstop, right? How do they work on a printer that has dual Z motors and endstops?
Mine levels the gantry at the beginning of every print and it's usually far enough off-level that I can hear both endstops hit separately when it Z-homes.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

cephalopods posted:

So, I'm not planning to install one on my current printer, but just out of curiosity:
The bltouch and similar bed probes work by replacing the Z endstop, right? How do they work on a printer that has dual Z motors and endstops?
Mine levels the gantry at the beginning of every print and it's usually far enough off-level that I can hear both endstops hit separately when it Z-homes.

Functionally the same as a single motor setup as far as I can utilise, I can't individually control z1 and z2. Before each print I have to tram (?) The bed by manually moving one of the two motors up or down a mm or two and running a bed compensation and past that it hold as long as power is on.

That's my janky rear end reprap build but it works

This is the case in marlin firmware as far as I know, if anyone knows how to replace the z ends in reprapfirmware please let me know

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have two Z motors on one of my printers but only a single endstop (now BLTouch). This means that you need to periodically synchronize the two leadscrews so that the X-carriage (or whatever is moving along the Z axis) doesn't get tilted with respect to the bed. I used to do this synchronization by manually twisting each leadscrew, leveling the X-carriage rail against a pair of 1-2-3 blocks resting on the frame, and that worked pretty well, but it was sensitive to how closely you could eyeball the frame and such. Annoying and time-consuming, and not particularly precise.

Now I have a different strategy. The top of my machine is a hard stop for the Z axis; if you go too high, the mechanism jams and the motors skip steps. So what I do is

- run a normal zeroing operation to find the bed surface (G28)
- command a fast move to near the top (e.g. G1 Z195 F2000 if your printer has 200mm travel)
- command a slow move that deliberately goes past the top (G1 Z205 F100).
- this pushes both axes up as far as they can go, effectively setting them to a consistent reference point. The motors will skip some steps but it's not harmful as long as everything is tightened down
- drop back down under power (G1 Z10 F3000)
- re-zero (G28)

At this point, your axes are synchronized to a known, repeatable reference point, and you should adjust your bed leveling to match whatever angle your X-carriage is at. If the frame is square, it should be pretty close to flat. But even if it isn't, this helps remove one point of error. You can run the resync before every print if you like, but I usually only do it if I notice a problem in the first layer. Since doing this, I haven't had to adjust my bed leveling in ever.

i believe prusas do this whole thing already as part of their self-calibration process

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Titan Aero on the Ender 3: bad idea, or Bad Idea?

I just want to print more flexible stuff with better retraction. I can print flexible now, but retraction is nearly non-existent due to the Bowden setup, so I've been limiting it to simple, single shapes. I understand ringing etc will be worse if I try to push the same speeds I do now, due to the 11-15g more weight.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Queen Combat posted:

Titan Aero on the Ender 3: bad idea, or Bad Idea?

I just want to print more flexible stuff with better retraction. I can print flexible now, but retraction is nearly non-existent due to the Bowden setup, so I've been limiting it to simple, single shapes. I understand ringing etc will be worse if I try to push the same speeds I do now, due to the 11-15g more weight.

This guy has a lot of Ender 3 videos and just put one out the other day about doing a direct drive setup with a kit that's relatively inexpensive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omXgJT5V0D4

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Those methods both match what I'd suspected ("just abuse it until it seems right"). Thanks, friends.

Leveling a delta without a probe on it seems fucky too, and that's something I /do/ intend to do at some point - I built a deltesian and installed their marlin fork but never actually sorted out the wiring. It's been sitting, inert, on my workbench for most of a year now

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
What printers would you guys recommend that’s less than $500 and has a print bed of at least 300x300? It’s printer upgrade time from a Select Mini and it looks like the CR-10 is popular but I’ve been looking at the Monoprice MP10 as well.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

duffmensch posted:

What printers would you guys recommend that’s less than $500 and has a print bed of at least 300x300? It’s printer upgrade time from a Select Mini and it looks like the CR-10 is popular but I’ve been looking at the Monoprice MP10 as well.

I would get that purely for the "something broke? RMA!" Support for a full year you get with Monoprice.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
The MP10 actually looks pretty drat good. I didn't realize it had half of the features it did when I first glanced at it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Cross post from the metalworking thread. tl;dr : Prusa Mk2S saved me from buying a $15,000 roundness tester.

Yooper posted:

We've had need of a roundness tester, but not enough need to justify dropping $15-$40k on a Talyrond or Mitutoyo unit. Then one comes up on Ebay that some rando reseller lists for $500. He can't test it. Doesn't know poo poo about it. And his only response to questions is "What you see is what you get." $500 later and it's sitting in our QC department.

The CMOS battery was bad, so that was $1.20. Then the external air sensor was missing so that gets jumpered out... And it works! Except it has a fixture for gripping the ID of something.

So I 3d print an adapter to mount a Hardinge precision 5" 3 jaw chuck.

That is the roundness measurement off of the lower diameter of the 3d printed part.

This is the smaller upper diameter.

Here's the mounted chuck. It spun on perfectly onto the 3d printed threads. Hardinge used a 2 3/16 - 10 thread. Fusion didn't offer it stock but it was easy enough to edit one into the XML.

That's what the roundness looks like on a good part, 90 millionths of an inch.

That's bad roundness from a boundary sample. Technically it meets the manufacturers specification but we know from experience it'll cause issues.

The machine can do a bunch of other tests but it didn't come with a manual so I'm at a loss on the proper procedure for leveling the bed. I reached out to Mitutoyo but so far nothing but silence.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Neat! That's a pretty niche (and effective) use of a 3d printed part.

The sweet spot really is parts that are geometrically simple but would be a giant pain in the rear end to make any other way, like your adapter.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

Neat! That's a pretty niche (and effective) use of a 3d printed part.

The sweet spot really is parts that are geometrically simple but would be a giant pain in the rear end to make any other way, like your adapter.

We were going to make it out of steel or aluminum and decided to test out the 3DP piece. Our boundary samples all come from a metrology lab so it was easy to prove out that it worked as well as what the met lab used. We may run into issues if we add a third axis of movement to the measurement, but for now it's just looking at roundness and that's it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

3d printed threads are just the most "mmmhmm :3 " thing

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

bolind posted:

Cross posting from the Raspberry Pi thread:

Well thats some cool stuff.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
~7 hours to put the Prusa MK3 together, get it set up, and get it started printing. This is pretty excellent. Had some issues with the Z leveling, but once those were squared away it's been clean prints since.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Been looking at getting into 3d printing and already have some ideas of what I'd be building. Which also means I'd need more build space than the little ones. Came down to looking at the flash forge creator pro (I like the idea of dual heads where I could put in pva in the 2nd nozzle for the supports to dissolve later) versus a lulzbot mini 2. But is there any others to look into or some caveats that I'm missing between these two? Kind of leaning towards the flashforge for the flexibility.

I used to sell 3D printers for a job, Flashforge, UP, Makerbot and Raise 3D, and can say that the Creator Pro is a pretty good machine. However, you'll get get little use out of the second head unless you have a very specific use case in mind. The Flashforge slicer is also pretty good, and has tree supports available out of the box, which are a lot nicer than linear supports for some models.

In saying that, for the same money you can get a Prusa i3 MK2, and that's what I'd buy in a heartbeat over any Lulzbot for Flashforge printer.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Why are the lulzbot printers so expensive?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Setup my ender 3 yesterday and printed this scifi terrain tile instead of a benchy. I'm very happy with the results though there is definitely room for improvement, on quality and time. This print took ~6:30hrs. iirc Terrain/bigger pieces can be done faster with a bigger nozzle size and more extrusion?

Default ender setup, cura with 20% infill. What can I do to fix these imperfections (it is PLA). I need to do an extrusion calibration at the very least.

goodness fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 20, 2019

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

porktree posted:

Well thats some cool stuff.

Thanks! :)

Assuming one were to buy a 3D printer for work, and one was more than willing to pay for having something that worked as hassle free as possible, where should one look? I’m thinking in the 1-2k USD range.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Spazzle posted:

Why are the lulzbot printers so expensive?

They're running on reputation, mostly. Kind of like Ultimaker.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

This issue has cropped up over the last few days. It isn't really elephant's foot; that issue is a clean looking ramp sort of thing. It looks here like the first layer is actually good, but then the next couple are really hosed up, and after that it recovers and is clean. I've got the fan turned on starting layer two. Layer adhesion on layer one looks clean.

One thing that concerns me is that perhaps the Z axis isn't moving correctly at the start of the print, is that possible? Like perhaps it is moving up .1mm instead of the .2mm that it should be. If that were happening, how can I find out? And how can I fix that? This is the only idea I've got left.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Overextrusion that'll fix itself when there's infill that can give away?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah, backed up pressure from not being able to extrude enough on the initial layers would be my guess.

Like, the filament is feeding and melting at rate 1.00 but only 0.40 (or whatever) can physically make it out the nozzle due to the amount of squish on initial layers so you have some pressure backing up, then once it gets past the initial layers there's room for the excess to spill out until it normalizes.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

goodness posted:

Setup my ender 3 yesterday and printed this scifi terrain tile instead of a benchy. I'm very happy with the results though there is definitely room for improvement, on quality and time. This print took ~6:30hrs. iirc Terrain/bigger pieces can be done faster with a bigger nozzle size and more extrusion?

Default ender setup, cura with 20% infill. What can I do to fix these imperfections (it is PLA). I need to do an extrusion calibration at the very least.

is the surface below the tile supposed to be lines or is that an incomplete top layer? i thought it might be dirt ground because i saw rocks.

add another layer or two to close that off.

i see melty bits on top of the tiles. that and the delamination could be suggesting too hot temps and the delamination shows me even though its hot, its actually under extruding or the temp is really really hot that it is seeping into layers below which it should never do. maybe too few outer perimeters. can you give us that info and possibly the model?

20 infill is too much for.... pretty much anything not going to be used as a tool. 10 to 15 is good but it all depends on the infill pattern as well.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think the under extrusion on the floors is cool, looks like scifi scaffolding.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So I just printed an M30x1.5 nut at 0.06mm layer height and OMFG that’s actually nice for coming out of a $500 thing from China and having the part designed and manufactured by this 220 pound gorilla. Threaded right on where it should.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Good luck actually securing anything that isn't decorative if that's PLA.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Carnies should not be allowed to use 3D printers ffs

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

bring back old gbs posted:

I think the under extrusion on the floors is cool, looks like scifi scaffolding.

I agree, I thought it was part of the model at first. But the .stl has solid floors.

EVIL Gibson posted:

is the surface below the tile supposed to be lines or is that an incomplete top layer? i thought it might be dirt ground because i saw rocks.

add another layer or two to close that off.

i see melty bits on top of the tiles. that and the delamination could be suggesting too hot temps and the delamination shows me even though its hot, its actually under extruding or the temp is really really hot that it is seeping into layers below which it should never do. maybe too few outer perimeters. can you give us that info and possibly the model?

20 infill is too much for.... pretty much anything not going to be used as a tool. 10 to 15 is good but it all depends on the infill pattern as well.

Its supposed to be complete. Here is the model https://drive.google.com/open?id=1C1BbWPEECai_kLyF9_oQpA9cb-aO4Bon

Right now I am extruding at 200 and the bed is at 60 (I'm assuming its Fahrenheit on the Ender 3).

here are some more examples I printed overnight

goodness fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 21, 2019

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

goodness posted:

Right now I am extruding at 200 and the bed is at 60 (I'm assuming its Fahrenheit on the Ender 3).

:stare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goodness posted:

(I'm assuming its Fahrenheit on the Ender 3).

negative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Unless you have some funky firmware, all 3d printers are metric across the board. Temps, dimensions, speeds, etc.