Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

They didn’t turn it into anything. It’s another movie.

I think that's fair, even if they copied some beats from the original.

Still a pile of poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ahem

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just badly ripping off The Mask anyway, and even that movie had a reason for the musical number.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You don't need a reason for having Chris Hemsworth do a musical number.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
There wasn't even a musical number in the movie, they just showed clips of it in the credits.

That's quality.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Ehud posted:

It will be in a small town. The cast will be adolescents who remind you of the stranger things kids. One of them will be related to Dan Akroyd. They’ll work with “uncle Ray” to repair some of the old equipment and fight a local paranormal threat with busted up gear that only works half the time.

So does this mean the original crew retired and that the franchise rights alone didn't make them rich beyond their wildest dreams? Otherwise said small town would know who to call.

M... maybe Egon died during a ghostbust and the rest of them were so utterly crushed by his death that they gave up. :(

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The new Ghostbusters will promote equality by showing that a terrible Ghostbusters remake can star either sex

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

evobatman posted:

There wasn't even a musical number in the movie, they just showed clips of it in the credits.

That's quality.

I have vague recollections that they showed tiny snippets of that scene in trailers and there was a really negative reaction against the idea of a musical dance number so I guess someone at Sony made the decision to cut that scene from the movie, but then someone decided to include it during the credits anyway.

And then when the extended version of the film came out they reinstated the dance number back into the film and it turned out to only be 30 seconds long.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Leslie Jones is pissed.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I saw! I can sympathize, and she had the best character, but I don't think we need another movie with those characters

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

She has every right to be mad. Imagine starring in a beloved comedy and then having the studio remake it and recast it so it was terrible.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

She has every right to be mad. Imagine starring in a beloved comedy and then having the studio remake it and recast it so it was terrible.

Zing!

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

evobatman posted:

That's quality.

Plus the bear-trap-looking thing they showed off in the trailers turned out to be no more than post-credits sequel bait (along with the shots of the firehouse and upgraded containment unit at the end). Obviously, someone over there thought that name recognition plus SJW pandering would guarantee massive profits.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cockmaster posted:

SJW pandering would guarantee massive profits.
Putting women in a movie is pandering.

Ok.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

LividLiquid posted:

Putting women in a movie is pandering.

Ok.

In and of itself, no.

Playing the diversity card instead of focusing on making a quality movie, on the other hand...

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Cockmaster posted:

In and of itself, no.

Playing the diversity card instead of focusing on making a quality movie, on the other hand...

wait, do you legit believe that they hedged all of their bets on having an all-woman team?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cockmaster posted:

In and of itself, no.

There is no such thing as a diversity card and that movie was fine. It was guilty of being a forgettable summer tentpole movie and not being Ghostbusters 1, so basically, it did nothing Ghostbusters 2 didn't already do except for putting women in the lead roles.

Thanks for playing.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

GB 2 is surely leagues above the reboot. Like it's not even close

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Here’s hoping for 2020 cameos:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Alan_Shore posted:

GB 2 is surely leagues above the reboot. Like it's not even close
I love GB2 too, but if you show them both to somebody who didn't see GB2 as a kid, the bias in your statement falls apart a bit.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

LividLiquid posted:

I love GB2 too, but if you show them both to somebody who didn't see GB2 as a kid, the bias in your statement falls apart a bit.

Hmm, I dunno. I agree that Both GB2 and GB2016 are "forgettable summer tentpole movies" rather than masterpieces. But GB2 has some a load of clever jokes and lines that I only appreciate as an adult. It has plenty of quotable lines. So my enjoyment of that film isn't purely down to childhood nostalgia.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
GB2 is marginally scarier than GB1.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Doctor posted:

Winston saw some poo poo that'll turn you even whiter than that other poo poo!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The_Doctor posted:

It’s arguably the weirder of the two, which gives it some merit, just because you get stuff like Peter MacNichol dressing up like a ghost witch, or the entirety of the Scoleri Bros. sequence.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Winston saw some poo poo that'll turn you even whiter than that other poo poo!

Oh but I woo!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh but I woo!

That's one of the more impressive effects sequences in the entire film, just because of the complexity. First they had to shoot the plate of MacNicol walking down the hall, shifting his head from right to left and back. Then they had to shoot someone walking down the hall with a flashlight, making sure the light's shine on the wall and movements were exactly tracked to match MacNicol's. And then finally the effects team had to animate the eyebeams to match everything.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh yeah GB2 is way weirder and scarier than 1. Definitely scarier than the reboot which isn't scary at all I think (of course it's hard to separate nostalgia from genuine criticism).

I was just thinking, it's weird in GB1 that they never bust the library ghost. That's such a classic and obvious beat in a movie, like any other movie would have the Ghostbusters coming back to the library in the montage for payback, but.... Nope. Ghostbusters does a lot of "right" things wrong, but does everything perfectly. It's quite a unique film

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Timby posted:

That's one of the more impressive effects sequences in the entire film, just because of the complexity. First they had to shoot the plate of MacNicol walking down the hall, shifting his head from right to left and back. Then they had to shoot someone walking down the hall with a flashlight, making sure the light's shine on the wall and movements were exactly tracked to match MacNicol's. And then finally the effects team had to animate the eyebeams to match everything.

Huh, I figured they just had him hooked up with a pair of bright lights like those hands-free light glasses. Interesting.

Also, how did you find that out? There's very little out there on the making of GB2.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Also, how did you find that out? There's very little out there on the making of GB2.

Cinefex did an extensive writeup on the film's VFX back in late 1989. I have the issue in a box somewhere in my extra bedroom.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
A major problem with fandom and franchise thinking is that your frame of reference is reduced to like, in this case, three films and a videogame. We end up in this weird situation where people speculate about whether it's even possible to make a good film about a team of exorcists. It was only done once, in 1984! It's impossible to recapture that magical lightning...

There are an absolute shitload of movies about exorcists, including those of the 'parascientific' variety. You've probably seen a few of them. The 2012 spanish film Emergo is the best ghostbuster film, and it's not part of the franchise. Ghostbusters itself makes reference to films like The Exorcist, The Entity, Poltergeist, and so-forth. What Ghostbusters brought to the genre isn't magic. It was just the naked, crass commericalism of the exorcists that was played for 'meta' laughs.

The reason you can't have a direct sequel is that the ending of the 1984 is pretty much a break in the fourth wall, where they announce that it's all a movie. The jingle kicks in, and we cut to credits before anyone can note the inevitable consequence - that you end up with for-profit franchise churches bearing the ghost logo cropping up worldwide, facing competition in this new marketplace where psychological problems are zapped away. The sequel to ghostbusters effectively can't be a ghost story, because ghosts - meaning these scrunchy-faced little neon muppet fuckers - are 'solved'. The sequel can only be about how the high wears off, and catching ghosts is no longer an effective distraction.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Timby posted:

That kind of shot'll cost you $2 million today

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Put little lights on his eyes ffs

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
For what it's worth my nephew is was like 6 when GB2016 came out and liked it a lot. The older movies didn't hold his interest so much.

I just hope when GB2020 comes out he gets mad that it's not "his Ghostbusters"

That would be sweet.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

6 yr old prefers screaming to actual jokes aimed at adults. Well wrap it up this debates over

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Leslie Jones is pissed.

She's an overgrown child who's still bitter about her lovely Ghostbusters film sucking harder than a trailer trash hoe.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I'd prefer if Sony would just stop taking additional swings at the money tree and let Ghostbusters be, but Leslie Jones melting down as though she has any claim at all over the property is nice little signpost on the highway to Bad Ideasville

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Slutitution posted:

She's an overgrown child who's still bitter about her lovely Ghostbusters film sucking harder than a trailer trash hoe.

This is a cool, normal brain post.

Anyway,

I wonder what the sequel prospects were when GB2016 was in production. The movie ends with a halfassed stinger, but given how taped-together the script was, I wonder if there was even a genuinely sketched out plan for where to go next.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Fart City posted:

Anyway,

I wonder what the sequel prospects were when GB2016 was in production. The movie ends with a halfassed stinger, but given how taped-together the script was, I wonder if there was even a genuinely sketched out plan for where to go next.

We all know the answer to this

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Fart City posted:

Anyway,

I'm sure, just like every interaction scene in the script, they just thought they'd figure it out when they got there. Improv the whole sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Slutitution posted:

Go back to your maga meeting