Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Shamino posted:

Stupid question: what is the actual raw cost of shipping + port paperwork?

Yoshi said to ship from japan to Long Beach or Tacoma is about $1950. You’ll need to pay taxes on the purchase, if you get a truck it’s more I believe (25%?). Basically think of tacking on $3k to get whatever you bought to your house with a title and registration. If you’re in California you’re gonna get boned for getting CARB legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Shamino posted:

Stupid question: what is the actual raw cost of shipping + port paperwork?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yoshi said to ship from japan to Long Beach or Tacoma is about $1950. You’ll need to pay taxes on the purchase, if you get a truck it’s more I believe (25%?). Basically think of tacking on $3k to get whatever you bought to your house with a title and registration. If you’re in California you’re gonna get boned for getting CARB legal.

Yeah, just set aside 3,000 USD on top of the cost of whatever vehicle to start. For me this covers everything including getting it to my house 6 hours away from the port it gets delivered to. The most expensive bit you might not expect is moving it over land once it gets to port. If you're in Tacoma or Seattle or something then no problem, you are the port. In Colorado or Utah then a lot of money is going to be spent bringing the car to you from port.

Shipping over the ocean is calculated by volume, then weight. An AZ-1 is ultra-cheap to ship, cheaper than any kei truck or van even, because it's volume is so low. A HiAce is a big giant box so costs over twice what the AZ-1 costs in shipping alone. Ocean shipping is the same no matter if you are in Seattle or New York city. I guess the logistics of loading and unloading the cars are where the expense is rather than the distance moved. Super rad dekotora flat bed tow trucks would probably be even over double of a HiAce. AZ-1 is around 600~ bucks or so, a HiAce is $1300+ but there is play in there depending on a bunch of variables.

Paperwork cost variable depending on if you are using a broker or brokers, if there are any other taxes beyond federal you have to pay. Passenger vehicles are subject to 2.5 federal tax, commercial vehicles are subject to 25% tax. What defines a passenger vehicle vs a commercial vehicle is the amount of seating in what type of vehicle. A kei truck is commercial, an AZ-1 (also a 2 seater) is a passenger because it's a sports car. A LiteAce with no rear seats is commercial, the same LiteAce with its rear seats is passenger. A 2 door Hilux pickup is commercial, a quad/full/double cab, with four doors and a full passenger back seat, is a passenger vehicle.

Florida has no other taxes to pay until you go to get a title, but as a dealer I don't have to pay those anymore but whoever buys it from me does. Other fees not included in the initial ocean freight charge are the dock where your vehicle is delivered and stored while they wait for you (or your driver) to pick it up.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 18, 2019

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Yesterday my friend and I took the trip to Newark to receive his '92 Supra Twin Turbo R:

I will get more pics once it is not so cold but holy poo poo this is the cleanest 90's car I have ever sat in. The Bride interior is in nearly perfect shape and the only mods are wheels and a turbo timer.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Yesterday my friend and I took the trip to Newark

How was the experience at port Newark? I’m in nyc so I’ve been curious if it’s much of a nightmare there.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Snowy posted:

How was the experience at port Newark? I’m in nyc so I’ve been curious if it’s much of a nightmare there.

Quite smooth save for a few things:

- We didn't use a broker so we had to go to the customs office ourselves. This was relatively painless but parking downtown with a truck and trailer was impossible so I would do this ahead of time. Google maps will have several locations listed as US Customs without explanation of what services are offered at each branch; you will need to go to the location at 1100 Raymond Blvd.
- The port guys are on lunch from 11:30A - 1P, attempting to walk into the area even 10 minutes earlier had a security guard screaming at us so plan accordingly.
- You will load on the street outside the port which will be absolutely clogged with 18-wheelers. Moving quickly is absolutely key as we had several close calls with truckers almost clipping the trailer or giving us dirty looks until we were out of their way.

Outside of this it was a remarkably easy process. My buddy has done it twice previously so he had a rough lay of the land, but it is totally within the realm of a first timer.

E: Additional content:

These two '53 Cadillacs were sold at Mecum and being loaded onto a ship to be sent to Austria

Gay Weed Dad fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 18, 2019

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That Supra rules.

Hey Kaker, have you gone into looking at buying anything listed on the "One Price" tab before? I can already see where my patience will be tested a bit and seeing some of the leftovers go through auction and the juicy ones sitting on lots makes me think a potential premium could be considered.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That Supra rules.

Hey Kaker, have you gone into looking at buying anything listed on the "One Price" tab before? I can already see where my patience will be tested a bit and seeing some of the leftovers go through auction and the juicy ones sitting on lots makes me think a potential premium could be considered.

The 'One Price' tab is just whatever dealerships that are fed into JCD's system. You can also do what I do and just browse https://www.carsensor.net/ directly, in chrome, with auto-translate on so you can work through what you're after.

I've compiled a list of Jimnys I was interested in but I can share :v:

https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/14/700903109330190113001.html

https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/19/700080367430180617006.html

https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/19/0200150801P4001826006.html

https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/13/700040343830181117001.html

https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/12/700040280830180810001.html

Just ask Yoshi (Or Mat) about them and they'll go ahead and call the dealership. I've bought one car off a lot, my 83 Acty van, and it went just fine. Identical to the auction but without being pressed for time and the idea that if its on a used car lot the car is probably in good shape. You do pay a premium though and these days I'd only buy a car off a lot for re-sale if I had someone to buy it already lined up.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I walked by a scene of some Vancouverites out doing their errands in their Delica L300s

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

:stare:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
That's... a lot of kilometers. :stare:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
There is a local guy that bought a 93 over, he has tracked 19mpg with it so far. For reference, my 97 gas one averaged 10.5mpg. :lol:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bolind posted:

And yet that still looks minty enough to be tempting.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BlackMK4 posted:

There is a local guy that bought a 93 over, he has tracked 19mpg with it so far. For reference, my 97 gas one averaged 10.5mpg. :lol:

The Rugger is getting 21.8 MPG average in mostly city, the Prado gets around the same as well. 2.8L and 2.4L respectively but it's still silly that these old tall diesel boxes are getting that mileage.

IOwnCalculus posted:

And yet that still looks minty enough to be tempting.

My limit is 300,000 km on diesel LandCruisers but yeah this one still looks super nice considering. How many hours an rear end has sat in the drivers seat.

EDIT

:hai:

Mint condition Irmscher Isuzu Piazza, pretty sure with the turbo four. 39,262 kms on the clock, looks so good.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 21, 2019

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

bolind posted:

Just broken in!

If it had a meticulous PO I'd be tempted to get it and aim at making it a million mile Landcruiser. I mean, odds are it did for it to make it that long. Curious what it's going to go for.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

KakerMix posted:

Mint condition Irmscher Isuzu Piazza, pretty sure with the turbo four. 39,262 kms on the clock, looks so good.

That looks awesome! Are you bidding on it? I have an 89 Impulse turbo with the Lotus package that is currently engineless. I didn't know that the non US cars still had the pop-up headlights after 1988.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

O kei.

Going to email about a couple of the cars you posted, and maybe this one too? https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/13/700058061030181226003.html

The auto-translate of the caption under the header photo sounds like the Japanese equivalent of "I know what I have"

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

NinjaTech posted:

That looks awesome! Are you bidding on it? I have an 89 Impulse turbo with the Lotus package that is currently engineless. I didn't know that the non US cars still had the pop-up headlights after 1988.

No I am not, but it looks cool as hell. I think Japan got all the pop-up half-lights as the Impulses that show up have them.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

O kei.

Going to email about a couple of the cars you posted, and maybe this one too? https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/13/700058061030181226003.html

The auto-translate of the caption under the header photo sounds like the Japanese equivalent of "I know what I have"

Sure give it a shot but that red underpaint thing on the sills is ugly as all hell and NOT stock.

Couple of SUPER BONGOS up for auction, I'm not going for either of these either:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

KakerMix posted:

No I am not, but it looks cool as hell. I think Japan got all the pop-up half-lights as the Impulses that show up have them.

Can you see what that one sells for when the auction is over? Or do you know what others have sold for? It would be pretty awesome to have both the Irmscher and my Lotus one at some point.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My Landcruiser diesel seems to do ok on fuel. The 2JZ in the Majesta uses a lot but that thing pulls like a loving freight train and just keeps pulling.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

everdave posted:

My Landcruiser diesel seems to do ok on fuel. The 2JZ in the Majesta uses a lot but that thing pulls like a loving freight train and just keeps pulling.

Are you liking the majesta? JZ’s are silky, add a turbo and it will go from freight train to aeroplane

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

SquirrelGrip posted:

Are you liking the majesta? JZ’s are silky, add a turbo and it will go from freight train to aeroplane

Yes but I’m at a crossroads need to sell but also want to twin turbo it and go full weirdo

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

everdave posted:

Yes but I’m at a crossroads need to sell but also want to twin turbo it and go full weirdo

Never try your own product. You will always be able to buy another one, you wont always find another buyer.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

NinjaTech posted:

Can you see what that one sells for when the auction is over? Or do you know what others have sold for? It would be pretty awesome to have both the Irmscher and my Lotus one at some point.

I can yeah.
As for others there have been 3 first-gens listed in the last three months, two for sure have sold. The other two are second-gens.

All three are automatics, all have over 100k kms, two of them are 3.5s. I'm going to guess this 89 manual is going to go for 4000, if it sells. More than likely it won't sell, and it is a private-owner's car so their reserve might be super high.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Never try your own product. You will always be able to buy another one, you wont always find another buyer.

Yeah, Majestas are all over, let alone any other Toyota with 2JZs in them. Sell this one, buy two more, sell one and keep one to get turbo weird with it. Or do what is more than likely going to happen and just buy whatever, drive whatever for a bit, sell it, do it again, forever.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

everdave posted:

Just buy a turbo one after selling the NA

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

NinjaTech posted:

:eyepop:

Was off by about double.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Omg look at those pods coming out of the stalks. Isuzu always held the title for second weirdest Japanese auto manufacturer in my book (Subaru being the first obv).

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Whoa, that's way more than I would have thought. They don't seem to be sought after around here.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Updates:

https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/13/700040343830181117001.html (white one that looked nice and had Porsches and stuff in the background)

quote:

The white one shows a repair history and also with the unknown mileage, may be best to avoid.
Pass.

https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/12/700040280830180810001.html (blue one with roof rack and rad interior)

quote:

wholesale ok for 290,000 yen, however the bumpers on this truck have been removed since the photos have been taken. We would need to find used ones somewhere and have them installed at port if you want the stock look.
hard pass.

https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/19/700080367430180617006.html (basic grey one, clean interior, aftermarket wheels and side steps)

quote:

wholesale ok for the price listed 250,000 yen. Jimny is in good condition with no corrosion.

Requested to have an inspection done on it.

And this one that cleared auction just the other day showed up for auction again:

Graded 3.5 at a JU house, 85000kms. Sold for 199000 yen, but was immediately listed the day after again. Any idea why? I requested for it to be inspected, if I can get it for 200000 yen I will probably go for it assuming a clean bill of health.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

And this one that cleared auction just the other day showed up for auction again:

Graded 3.5 at a JU house, 85000kms. Sold for 199000 yen, but was immediately listed the day after again. Any idea why? I requested for it to be inspected, if I can get it for 200000 yen I will probably go for it assuming a clean bill of health.

Now this one is showing a starting bid of all 7's indicating a cancelled auction. Bummer. Waiting for a couple more details on the dealer car but might end up having to wait for a low mileage/high grade one to come through auction.

In other news, my boss bought a freaking manual turbodiesel Land Cruiser that looks cool as heck. So I am jealous.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NinjaTech posted:

Whoa, that's way more than I would have thought. They don't seem to be sought after around here.

Buddy of mine back in the 90's had one and it was a slow turd. Was not impressed at all by that car, we called it the Pizza.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Buddy of mine back in the 90's had one and it was a slow turd. Was not impressed at all by that car, we called it the Pizza.

Was it a turbo model? They do seem low on power and a little heavy. I haven't actually driven mine since it had a cracked head and blown turbo. It's a project that keeps getting pushed aside. I can't decide whether to rebuild the stock engine or swap to a 2.6L. Either way it'll get a little bigger turbo and Megasquirt.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

My wife insists she's going to scan the whole owner's manual tomorrow over the course of a couple hours. She said she wants to scan all the ones we have that are interesting, which is this Delica, the Rugger and the Bongo. The other manuals don't have cute pictures or anything and are much more serious, especially the Toyota ones.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

NinjaTech posted:

Was it a turbo model? They do seem low on power and a little heavy. I haven't actually driven mine since it had a cracked head and blown turbo. It's a project that keeps getting pushed aside. I can't decide whether to rebuild the stock engine or swap to a 2.6L. Either way it'll get a little bigger turbo and Megasquirt.

Yeah it was although I think it was an automatic. My FWD GTS Corolla at the time was quicker and handled way better. The old Isuzu IMarks were way better cars imo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There's a lot of av candidates in the scans you posted but this really jumped out at me:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Midjack posted:

There's a lot of av candidates in the scans you posted but this really jumped out at me:

Mazda also doesn't want you to be cool as gently caress and modify your car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

30561- 5mt, ac, diesel turbo, sunroof, narrow body, handle grip broken, ceiling liner dirty, interior dirty and worn, rear spare cover scratches, aftermarket wheels?, other dents scratches paint waves

Inspector posted:

30561- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge, coolant level and color ok, no oil leaks, tires at 50% no cracks, spare ok, cover has light scratches, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, suspension and diff area light surface rust, other parts ok, body in good condition some bumper scratches, windshield chips small, seats good, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, no burns, ac compressor ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, hub lock ok, 4wd high low ok, lights ok, power steering ok, power windows ok, wipers ok, steering wheel grip faded and cracking.

said interior really should be a b grade not c

1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78G Prado EX5 with a 5 speed manual transmission, the 'G' stands for 'narrow body', which means it doesn't have the extensions on the fenders that a W would have (W stands for 'wide body'). Top of the line, all options including sunroof and some sort of sued-like interior. Completely stock and original with the exception of the wheels which are some sort of aftermarket variety. Comes pre-installed with BF Goodrich KO2s white letters out hell yeah. Yoshi says the inspector thought it was in fantastic shape and mentioned that he thinks the interior grade should be B rather than C that it shows on the sheet. Two tone silver/blue slate scheme and most important to me, not even 92,000k km, or 57166 total miles. While it isn't a KZ-equipped Prado I'll take what clean and low-mileage 4 door options I can get. Put in a bid for 1,155,556 yen, won for 955,000.

MY INEVITABLE DEBT
Apr 21, 2011
I am lonely and spend most of my time on 4Chan talking about the superiority of BBC porn.
those seats could be ULTRASUEDE https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasuede

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Midjack posted:

"Do not remodel so that it does not meet the safety standards stipulated by laws and regulations!
Do not do protrusions and wide tire equipments that do not meet safety standards as violations, so please do not do."

Aw.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

My wife insists she's going to scan the whole owner's manual tomorrow over the course of a couple hours. She said she wants to scan all the ones we have that are interesting, which is this Delica, the Rugger and the Bongo. The other manuals don't have cute pictures or anything and are much more serious, especially the Toyota ones.

Right so she went and did it, the amazing woman.
Mitsubishi Delica Star Wagon L300 User Manual

The whole thing scanned, front to back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78G Prado EX5 with a 5 speed manual transmission, the 'G' stands for 'narrow body', which means it doesn't have the extensions on the fenders that a W would have (W stands for 'wide body'). Top of the line, all options including sunroof and some sort of sued-like interior. Completely stock and original with the exception of the wheels which are some sort of aftermarket variety. Comes pre-installed with BF Goodrich KO2s white letters out hell yeah. Yoshi says the inspector thought it was in fantastic shape and mentioned that he thinks the interior grade should be B rather than C that it shows on the sheet. Two tone silver/blue slate scheme and most important to me, not even 92,000k km, or 57166 total miles. While it isn't a KZ-equipped Prado I'll take what clean and low-mileage 4 door options I can get. Put in a bid for 1,155,556 yen, won for 955,000.

Importer here in Dallas has a '90 Prado with the 2L-TE turbodiesel, automatic, though, and 200K KMs for $9599, guess that's not a bad price, considering.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ctd/d/grand-prairie-toyota-land-cruiser-prado/6790914703.html