Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Kamala thought liberal application of the justice system would provide a good response to poor school attendance. That was *profoundly* poor judgement, from someone who drat well should've known better, at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1087388133115809793

lol

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I guess it’s the gay space communism I’ve contracted but when i see “tax cuts the middle class” I read “handouts to rich white people” and “credits for low income” i read “catch 22 poo poo that will gently caress over black/Latino people.”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Buffer posted:

Kamala thought liberal application of the justice system would provide a good response to poor school attendance. That was *profoundly* poor judgement, from someone who drat well should've known better, at best.

Have there been any serious think pieces about what Kamala would actually have to say and do to make everyone forget she was a loving cop?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

Have there been any serious think pieces about what Kamala would actually have to say and do to make everyone forget she was a loving cop?

Make her campaign song gently caress Tha Police.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I'm not sure Harris can re-gain the voters that Trump poached in 2016, specifically the white working class. Racism played a huge part in their vote.

In fact, how do you win back these people without reverting to the same rhetoric? Ideally, you shouldn't have to cater to them and they can go gently caress themselves, but they're unfortunately a hugely important voting block.

FizFashizzle posted:

She previously said that cops shouldn't be forced to wear cameras. Not sure if that opinion has changed, but probably not. That's a huge issue, in my opinion. People already give cops too much leeway.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

I keep coming back to how she let Mnuchin off the hook. I don't see how you can credibly run on prosecuting Trump and his cronies with that in your past, no matter how much you apologize for it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is worse than not going.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'm not sure Harris can re-gain the voters that Trump poached in 2016, specifically the white working class. Racism played a huge part in their vote. In fact, how do you win back these people without reverting to the same rhetoric?

Ideally, you shouldn't have to cater to them and they can go gently caress themselves, but they're unfortunately a hugely important voting block.

These people don't matter. Why are you focusing on them instead of the dozens of millions of people who didn't vote? Focus on turnout. How do you get turnout up? Push policies that will actually materially and tangibly improve people's lives.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is worse than not going.

It's stupid cold here, that's probably his excuse. Though you'd think the blubber would keep him warm.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

He thought it was a milk memorial.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

These people don't matter. Why are you focusing on them instead of the dozens of millions of people who didn't vote? Focus on turnout. How do you get turnout up? Push policies that will actually materially and tangibly improve people's lives.

yeah the number of people that didn't vote dwarfs any crossover voters. it's why schumer's stupid we'll pickup two suburban republican lines was so dumb. get people excited to vote for good policy don't try to win over shitters.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Push policies that will actually materially and tangibly improve people's lives.
Most voters don't really care about actual policy, they care more about the appearance of policy.

Clinton had actual policies that would have helped workers in the dying mining and factory communities - subsidized schooling, training and job placement programs. They instead chose the lie Trump was telling.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ogmius815 posted:

I can’t wait until Kamala wins the nomination with strong support from numerous traditional Democratic constituencies, you fuckers attack her mercilessly while supporting an rear end in a top hat leftistbro candidate with no chance of winning who refuses to drop out well into June, then you fuckers don’t vote and Trump wins. Then you all go “lol the Democrats are so bad they can’t even beat Trump”.

People here are gonna vote for anyone who isn’t Trump at the end of the day. The ones you need to persuade are the vulnerable and disaffected. The people for whom voting represents an actual cost benefit analysis, whos votes are being actively repressed, the people for whom it’s difficult to actually even get to a voting location. If you cannot give them a sufficient message of hope to be bothered then guess what that’s a failure of the party not the voter.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

While he's talking about Singapore, he's ignoring Hong Kong, which really should be an asterisk with the aside "really is the People's Republic of China". Being a special economic zone that has the permission to exist of it's Communist superiors is probably a worse look for conservative admiration than an absolute monarchy.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 21, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ChrissyCole/status/1087352932176142336

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The Democrats who won campaigned on stopping your stupid rear end.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Racial disparity in childbirth deaths is a noble problem to address but I'm not really sure what can happen at the federal level.

Urban hospitals tend to be better than suburban ones when it comes to Trauma (if you're shot or have a stroke in Atlanta, go to Grady) and everything I've read about this phenomenon places the onus at the feet of the individual practitioners.

There's 2 things you'd need to worry about : subconscious racism from practitioners, and generally poor handling of maternal care during child birth in the US. The former I have no idea how to tackle, since as you say it's an individual thing. For the latter, propublica has done good investigations of maternal care and fatality rates during and after delivery https://www.propublica.org/series/lost-mothers. The US has the highest mortality rate in the developed world. IIRC, they blamed that partly on poor procedures in place at hospitals. Doctors occasionally ignore signs and symptoms which lead to the death of the mother. Setting up some kind of board or agency which researches cases of maternal death and standardizes care might help with this.

You might also hope that better standards would improve the care for women of color as well (IF they're applied the same as white women). I think one of the reasons women of color die more often is that symptoms which can lead to death are more often ignored. You'd have to train doctors to just follow established procedures better and hope that they don't ignore the procedures for women of color.

edit: fixed the link

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 21, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Crows Turn Off posted:

I'm not sure Harris can re-gain the voters that Trump poached in 2016, specifically the white working class. Racism played a huge part in their vote.

House Democrats received 10 million more votes in the last midterm than Republicans.

quote:

The Democrats also won the popular vote by a margin of 8.6%, the largest margin on record for a minority party. Turnout was the highest for a midterm election in more than a century, with over half the electorate casting ballots.

That was with a good economy.

It's a problem with Ohio and Florida but very good results in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan and every state Hillary won. If the Democrat gets those, they win.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't think there's anything she can say, but I also don't think there are enough people who care for it really to be a big hang-up for her. She's likely best off just rolling with it and pretending that being an above-average state AG means she's big on criminal justice reform.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

maybe kamala would face less obvious "she's a prosecutor who did hosed up poo poo" pushback if she expressed even a modicum of guilt over said hosed up poo poo, rather than just denying there's a problem at all

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

In fact, how do you win back these people without reverting to the same rhetoric? Ideally, you shouldn't have to cater to them and they can go gently caress themselves, but they're unfortunately a hugely important voting block.

She previously said that cops shouldn't be forced to wear cameras. Not sure if that opinion has changed, but probably not. That's a huge issue, in my opinion. People already give cops too much leeway.

Did Trump poach many votes? He did worse than Romney and Bush Jr. and gained among racists who had become apathetic over the decades of the 21st century. His base is the same as the usual republican base, only they're excited rather than resigned. Where he really went weird and wild was in the primaries, which are usually the domain of poli-sci dorks and lanyards.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

After our government implored him to kill himself repeatedly.

This country is garbage and nearly irredeemable if not already there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao

https://twitter.com/schwarz/status/1087390563081572352

https://twitter.com/Tankie_Viciedo/status/1087353365317763073

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I don't think there's anything she can say, but I also don't think there are enough people who care for it really to be a big hang-up for her. She's likely best off just rolling with it and pretending that being an above-average state AG means she's big on criminal justice reform.

I'd rather her not be president but I would be lying if I said it wasnt a bit reassuring that someone who is willing to cage fight the right is in the running. She's been pretty good on investigative councils, as we have seen.

That is of course a surface read and yes, she is not the leftist we need right now.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Such elegance, such gravitas

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1087387479294935044

Eeyo posted:

You might also hope that better standards would improve the care for women of color as well (IF they're applied the same as white women). I think one of the reasons women of color die more often is that symptoms which can lead to death are more often ignored. You'd have to train doctors to just follow established procedures better and hope that they don't ignore the procedures for women of color.

This always just blows my mind because I've never been in any setting where signs are just flat out ignored, regardless of race, gender, or ability to pay.

Even if it's not just doing the right thing, anyone ignoring a sign and it eventually leading to death would get an absolute avalanche of poo poo and almost certainly be fired.

gently caress, where I work CNA's will get fired if a patient develops bed sores and they didn't adequately chart turning them in the days prior.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Isn’t China engaged in a gradual rolling annexation of Hong Kong with the aim of turning it into a dystopian nightmare?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I have heard that Hillary painting Trump as an aberration and courting of Republican voters disgusted with him was really bad for the downballot. I suspect the GOP devoting itself to Trump in a way that couldn't be ignored meant that some of the 2016 'Hillary on top but I'm still a Republican' people voted exclusively for Democrats in 2018.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Remember: These same sycophants honestly believe that if Lincoln and MLK were alive today, they've vote Republican.

The same party currently courting KKK members and white supremacists at their own National Conventions.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Fuckin' hysterical.

None of the context of the events at the Lincoln Memorial is meaningful. Whether you examine it all or strip it all away, what you're left with is a group of white male kids in MAGA hats doing Tomahawk chops and mocking a Native American demonstrator at a Native Peoples' demonstration to people standing in the demonstration area.

What you are left with is the specter of white supremacy mocking a man remembering his lost civilization.

Who gives a poo poo about anything else? THAT happened. None of the context makes it look better.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

eke out posted:

maybe kamala would face less obvious "she's a prosecutor who did hosed up poo poo" pushback if she expressed even a modicum of guilt over said hosed up poo poo, rather than just denying there's a problem at all

Hasn't she big a been a big proponent of criminal justice reform and bail reform in the Senate?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chilichimp posted:

Fuckin' hysterical.

None of the context of the events at the Lincoln Memorial is meaningful. Whether you examine it all or strip it all away, what you're left with is a group of white male kids in MAGA hats doing Tomahawk chops and mocking a Native American demonstrator at a Native Peoples' demonstration to people standing in the demonstration area.

What you are left with is the specter of white supremacy mocking a man remembering his lost civilization.

Who gives a poo poo about anything else? THAT happened. None of the context makes it look better.

that reason.com article - for some reason - leaves out the tomahawk chops to try to play it off as if we can't tell if the kids were being disrespectful or not.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CommieGIR posted:

Remember: These same sycophants honestly believe that if Lincoln and MLK were alive today, they've vote Republican.

The same party currently courting KKK members and white supremacists at their own National Conventions.

BuT LinColN WaS a RepUbLicAn

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

(Trump and Pence stand before memorial)

Trump: I don’t get it.

Pence: (anti-gay anger vibrations)

Trump: It’s not even finished.

Pence: (horse neigh)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

Hasn't she big a been a big proponent of criminal justice reform and bail reform in the Senate?

supporting legislation that 99% of all democrats support is not the same thing as publicly reckoning with your past as part of the system

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ague Proof posted:

I have heard that Hillary painting Trump as an aberration and courting of Republican voters disgusted with him was really bad for the downballot. I suspect the GOP devoting itself to Trump in a way that couldn't be ignored meant that some of the 2016 'Hillary on top but I'm still a Republican' people voted exclusively for Democrats in 2018.

2020 is going to be so fascinating because they won't have someone with 30 years of media lies as an opponent and their own lovely record.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

that reason.com article - for some reason - leaves out the tomahawk chops to try to play it off as if we can't tell if the kids were being disrespectful or not.

it is a mystery

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

CommieGIR posted:

Martin Luther King Jr. posted:

The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right. The “best man” at this ceremony was a senator whose voting record, philosophy, and program were anathema to all the hard-won achievements of the past decade.

It was both unfortunate and disastrous that the Republican Party nominated Barry Goldwater as its candidate for President of the United States. In foreign policy Mr. Goldwater advocated a narrow nationalism, a crippling isolationism, and a trigger-happy attitude that could plunge the whole world into the dark abyss of annihilation. On social and economic issues, Mr. Goldwater represented an unrealistic conservatism that was totally out of touch with the realities of the twentieth century. The issue of poverty compelled the attention of all citizens of our country. Senator Goldwater had neither the concern nor the comprehension necessary to grapple with this problem of poverty in the fashion that the historical moment dictated. On the urgent issue of civil rights, Senator Goldwater represented a philosophy that was morally indefensible and socially suicidal. While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulated a philosophy which gave aid and comfort to the racist. His candidacy and philosophy would serve as an umbrella under which extremists of all stripes would stand. In the light of these facts and because of my love for America, I had no alternative but to urge every Negro and white person of goodwill to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that did not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy.

While I had followed a policy of not endorsing political candidates, I felt that the prospect of Senator Goldwater being President of the United States so threatened the health, morality, and survival of our nation, that I could not in good conscience fail to take a stand against what he represented.

1964, NYT posted:

The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. called on all registered Negro voters yesterday to help administer a crushing defeat to Senator Barry Goldwater at the polls on Nov. 3.

Like other Negro civil rights leaders who have abandoned their tradition of not publicly endorsing candidates, Dr. King spoke out as guest preacher at the Antioch Baptist Church in the Bedford‐Stuyvesant district of Brooklyn.

Dr. King, leader of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, said that the “negative” attitudes of the Republican Presidential candidate on human, political and constitutional questions had compelled him to make the moral decision to demand a crushing defeat for the Arizona Senator.

“I can think of nothing more important than for all people of good will to go to the polis Nov. 3,” Dr. King said.

Dr. King said there was something deeper involved in the election than the candidacy of Senator Goldwater. He defined it as “Goldwaterism.”
Continue reading the main story

The civil rights leader estimated that Negro voter registration in the South had been increased by 800,000 in preparation for the election and that there were approximately 2 million registered Negro voters in the Southern states today.

“If all the Negroes vote the same way, Goldwater would lose every Southern state but Mississippi and Alabama. Even the Good Lord could not win there,” Dr. King said.

It was believed that the Negro pastorate throughout the country would follow Dr. King in urging their many millions of members to go to the polls with the determination to elect President Johnson.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
If MLK was alive today he would be ecstatic about Tom Brady playing for another Super Bowl ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

eke out posted:

supporting legislation that 99% of all democrats support is not the same thing as publicly reckoning with your past as part of the system

I think it will play really fuckin' great with boomers who grew up in the era of TOUGH ON CRIME horseshit.