Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I hate how laptops have moved to having internal batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Phones too. It feels like a purely anti-consumer move.

I remember being baffled by my friend's mac in the mid-2000s and how if it froze, he had to wait until the batteries died because there was no way to pull the battery. Now everything is headed in that direction..

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Grakkus posted:

I remember being baffled by my friend's mac in the mid-2000s and how if it froze, he had to wait until the batteries died because there was no way to pull the battery. Now everything is headed in that direction..

They didn't have a manual reset button? The entire bottom plastic and harddrive of my ACER has to be removed to access the battery, but there's a button that you can push with a pin to disconnect and reset the battery without taking everything apart

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

They didn't have a manual reset button? The entire bottom plastic and harddrive of my ACER has to be removed to access the battery, but there's a button that you can push with a pin to disconnect and reset the battery without taking everything apart

Or, failing that, holding the power button down for a long time generally forces a hard reset of everything.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Or, failing that, holding the power button down for a long time generally forces a hard reset of everything.

This will indeed work on all Macs, built in battery or not.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They got rid of two other devs and my manager today, hmmmmm. Perhaps it is time to look elsewhere

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

opengl128 posted:

This will indeed work on all Macs, built in battery or not.

From what I recall, this did not work :shrug:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BlackMK4 posted:

They got rid of two other devs and my manager today, hmmmmm. Perhaps it is time to look elsewhere

But they kept you. Congratulations on now doing the work of 4 people including all the admin with no new title or money!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

QC - you are a fantastic human bean,

shy boy from chess club posted:

One thing I remember from elementary school is a picture of a bean with arms and legs and a face that said Human Bean under it. It was in the nurses office and I thought it was "bean" forever because of that picture, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c1vWnF9bS4

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

I made it 33 seconds. Anyone beat my record?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

I think that's the first film I've seen where the bad guys realize that when the good guy shoots through their cover, they, too, can shoot through their cover.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Grakkus posted:

Mid-2000s MacBooks/PowerBooks still had removable batteries. It was the second gen unibody Macs that's where things changed, and they came out around 2010.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Adiabatic posted:

I watched it many years ago, when it was new (1990s), which is why I thought of it.
There’s a newer hour-and-a-half version from 2009 that I didn’t post.
There’s also a side scroller shooter mobile game, which is tolerable.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Oh poo poo yeaaaaaah thats some genuine Internet museum piece there

edit gently caress 19 years ago????

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 21, 2019

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Adiabatic posted:

When I get home from work tonight and get really stoned I reckon I'll be able to make it through the whole thing.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I'm still thinking about that Vikings game being 10 years ago, poo poo. Probably when I stopped caring about football too. I'm a Pats fan and even I got sick of watching them go to the super bowl every year. Last year I went home and to bed at half time then found out the Eagles won when that news finally trickled it's way to npr. Was kinda glad too.

Best football memory was when I was in Seattle, like literally in the streets when the hawks won that last playoff game before they went to the sb. So many happy and drunk people beeping horns and doing drive by high fives to all the people in the streets. It was so awesome to be a part of that. Then it got weird on the ferry when the sea of neon green and blue were totally silent. Eeery.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9j8t7d-Gv4

My vote for the car-related-thread-theme-song of the month.

Or whatever Dragula was in October lol.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I haven't done nights for 11 years this sucks. 6 more hours and I just want to eat everything I brought with me what a pointless loving exercise.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

64bit_Dophins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9j8t7d-Gv4

My vote for the car-related-thread-theme-song of the month.

Or whatever Dragula was in October lol.

Dragula is a timeless classic for every season

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The revving mustang jackass whose garage is on my building finally kept it up for long enough for me to walk out and confront him. Well, apparently this time it was one of his buddies in a 370Z, there were like 4 of them standing there. Their excuse was "oh yeah it's a stick shift", cause apparently that necessitates banging off the limiter like 12 times in a row to move a car around, right? Then he changed tacks to straight up "Well, you know, if there's a problem, you can take it up with the front office! :)"

I am not enough of an rear end in a top hat to be doing this kind of poo poo.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I am eating porkchops with applesauce, herb'd mashed potatoes, and pan-fried yellow beans for dinner.

Just wanted to brag.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Fender Anarchist posted:

The revving mustang jackass whose garage is on my building finally kept it up for long enough for me to walk out and confront him. Well, apparently this time it was one of his buddies in a 370Z, there were like 4 of them standing there. Their excuse was "oh yeah it's a stick shift", cause apparently that necessitates banging off the limiter like 12 times in a row to move a car around, right? Then he changed tacks to straight up "Well, you know, if there's a problem, you can take it up with the front office! :)"

Just call the cops om the non-emergency line and make a noise complaint. More effective than calling the front office.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I don't mind built in batteries as long as it's only a matter of unscreqing the bottom, remove a shroud and remove the batttery with some screws. But now they are gluing down batteries. Screw that.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Jesus Christ. First my wife's 2015 Fit won't start (clicks and makes ... almost a 'pew pew' noise, really), and then after starting the Impreza to see if jumping it might help (it did not), the Impreza hood will not latch. But at least the Impreza started, so I can pick the kid up from daycare while my wife is in Jersey with the Forester, which in all likelihood some fuckhead will dent and/or scratch in the parking lot and I will be loving pissed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've decided to take advantage of the free on site consolers at work to try and sort out the poo poo I never dealt with from my friend's murder. This weeks death made it clear I haven't done the best job putting that grief to bed.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I've decided to take advantage of the free on site consolers at work to try and sort out the poo poo I never dealt with from my friend's murder. This weeks death made it clear I haven't done the best job putting that grief to bed.

Good on you. There's no shame on asking for help when needed.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Jesus Christ. First my wife's 2015 Fit won't start (clicks and makes ... almost a 'pew pew' noise, really), and then after starting the Impreza to see if jumping it might help (it did not), the Impreza hood will not latch. But at least the Impreza started, so I can pick the kid up from daycare while my wife is in Jersey with the Forester, which in all likelihood some fuckhead will dent and/or scratch in the parking lot and I will be loving pissed.

If you have someone to help you, have one person hold down the latch button while the other one closes it. I had to do that on an older Nissan Altima I had.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 22, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Outside third parties can often give you insight that you can miss when you're stuck inside your own head. Good on you, Rhyno.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

mariooncrack posted:

If you have someone to help you, have one person hold down the latch button while the other one closes it. I had to do that on an older Nissan Altima I had.

If you've got some winter windshield washer fluid you can pour it onto the latch mechanism to help defrost it, preferably the fluid is warm from being stored inside.

I've had latches freeze on me either due to recently washing or just high humidity in the air before a good freeze overnight. Liberal use of wd-40 after it's thawed will help prevent it in the future.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

Outside third parties can often give you insight that you can miss when you're stuck inside your own head.

So true it hurts.

meatpimp posted:

Good on you, Rhyno.

Very much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks guys. I don't know if there's going to be a major breakthrough or anything, I just want to try and find a little peace on this.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Thanks guys. I don't know if there's going to be a major breakthrough or anything, I just want to try and find a little peace on this.

So you're looking for... some kind of temporary sanity in this? Show us your hands.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just never dealt with what her death did to me. I mean, it yielded a full physical turn around that ended in a 52 pound weight loss so I did deal with it in a way.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
3:30 in the drat morning and the neighbors on the other side of our duplex and screaming and fighting. Sounded like someone was either coked out of their mind or being murdered or someone had a bad trip and OD'd.

Called the cops. Cops knocked on their door for like ten minutes, and I think they talked to them, but I'm not 100% sure. Things got much quieter after that.

I couldn't fall back asleep until 5ish, and now I'm all anxious about a confrontation when they figure out we called the cops. But, gently caress em for sounding like they were about to murder each other.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I just never dealt with what her death did to me. I mean, it yielded a full physical turn around that ended in a 52 pound weight loss so I did deal with it in a way.

Bzzzt. Incorrect answer. The correct answer would have involved piss, blood, and cum. You've missed your Tool reference for the day and have been docked 5 tokens.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well to be fair, if that had been a Salvia or Nickleback reference I'd have gotten it in a heartbeat.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Fender Anarchist posted:

At least they don't have a 15in subwoofer blasting for 10-15 minutes every morning while they sit in their car on their phone like the guy at my last complex.

It sounds like they're going to ruin both of those cars. Such is the life of the bro's car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a guy with a Z car on a lift in his garage right down the street. It's a gorgeous blue and looks near the end of what I assume is a restoration. I can't wait to see it in spring.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Welp, my co-worker just put in a week's notice, citing our worthless Office Manager as her reason for terminating employment. This fucks me, because I too am trying to get out. However, this recent turn of events has lead our controller of 30 years to finally get it through our General Manager's head that he needs to get rid of our Office Manager (who is his ex-SIL), or she's cutting ties.

She told me she wants me to step up and be trained to replace our Office Manager.

I don't want to be the Office Manager.

I'm pretty sure our controller realized that I'm not planning on sticking around when I said that I don't think I'm interested. She wants to follow up in "a day or two" and I don't have any offers for employment yet, because I just started looking.

:suicide:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh, back to house chat: Are you guys familiar with the wonder of self-leveling gel-cote paint? A video popped up for it in my YT suggestions and I thought it would be crap but there were so many real world testimonials that I gave it a shot. Did all the basement trim and just knocked out the closet door down here and it's nuts. No priming, just 1-2 coats and it looks incredible. The only downside is it's a high gloss so the wife isn't too hot on using it for every other room in the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

T-Square posted:

Welp, my co-worker just put in a week's notice, citing our worthless Office Manager as her reason for terminating employment. This fucks me, because I too am trying to get out. However, this recent turn of events has lead our controller of 30 years to finally get it through our General Manager's head that he needs to get rid of our Office Manager (who is his ex-SIL), or she's cutting ties.

She told me she wants me to step up and be trained to replace our Office Manager.

I don't want to be the Office Manager.

I'm pretty sure our controller realized that I'm not planning on sticking around when I said that I don't think I'm interested. She wants to follow up in "a day or two" and I don't have any offers for employment yet, because I just started looking.

:suicide:

Yeah I work in tech support and I would not accept the position of office manager for any sum of money. A lot of employers I've noticed will offer you a management position that is 4x the work for like the equivalent of an extra $5k a year. Honestly not worth it.

I'm trying to get out of my job too FWIW.