Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Welp
gently caress the Pats
gently caress the Rams?
gently caress the Refs
gently caress
View Results

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

mcmagic posted:

The bottom line is that there were 3 50-50 reviewable calls and as usual, the MAGA Patriots got all 3 as well as the joke roughing the passer as has been the case since 2001.

When is the last time the Patriots legitimately won a football game in your estimation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

mcmagic posted:

The game is rigged. It just happens to be in your favor so you're cool with it.

If only the Pats divisional opponents didnt just roll over and let themselves be pounded again...and again...and (oops Dolphins caused an upset)...and again

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Speaking of sleeping at night, can I just say I’ve had a full night’s sleep and I’m still positively buzzing with happiness that the Saints game was likely blown by a bad call, screwing them out of a super bowl and doing so in front of the home crowd? Thanks and god bless!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I for one am glad that the officials did right by Julian Edelman and recognized the very clear visual evidence that he did not touch that ball.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Speaking of sleeping at night, can I just say I’ve had a full night’s sleep and I’m still positively buzzing with happiness that the Saints game was likely blown by a bad call, screwing them out of a super bowl and doing so in front of the home crowd? Thanks and god bless!

Same, fam

cpranger posted:

Ain't here to complain. But I am worried about those guys eyes.

https://twitter.com/ocsaint1/status/1087387121222991872?s=20

It's like the bermuda triangle. But instead of planes disappearing it is flags.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

CyberPingu posted:

So. If they kept the same owner, same team, same everything except just moved to Baltimore and changed their name. Your infamous hatred for the Skins suddenly just goes away. This entire hatred just comes from their name???????

Even if they didn't move to Baltimore if they changed their name they're ok with me. My hatred doesn't come from the name it comes from something completely different. But that will be enough to let me forgive them for their past transgressions against me via their fans.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Whats extra amazing about that missed call is that the head official in New York has the ability to call down to the refs and instruct them to huddle up and discuss whether they missed a call and they didn’t do it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Phobeste posted:

And yet teams overcome that "rigged game" pretty frequently, considering the patriots have only 5 of the last say 20 super bowls

LOL

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

If they were really rigging games to this extent the Cowboys would rule the NFC in the same way.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

For some weird reason I always thought that mcmagic was a Pats fan which always made me feel ashamed. I’m loving relieved that I was wrong.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kawalimus posted:

If they were really rigging games to this extent the Cowboys would rule the NFC in the same way.

Maybe Jason Garrett is just that incompetent

Makes you think :raise:

Nov 6, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For some weird reason I always thought that mcmagic was a Pats fan which always made me feel ashamed. I’m loving relieved that I was wrong.

He probably should be so then at least he wouldn't be rooting for part of the Trump administration.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CyberPingu posted:

If only the Pats divisional opponents didnt just roll over and let themselves be pounded again...and again...and (oops Dolphins caused an upset)...and again

The way MAGA Patriot games are officiated has something to do with that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
imo we should all take a minute to celebrate the real heroes of this season.

Nov 6, 2002

Imagine being convinced the sport you follow is fixing games for one team, and then you continue to follow it anyway.

THIS time the Generals are going to win!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I hope Joe Manchin comes out as a Pats fans because mcmagic might literally stroke out.

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1087309470655500293

No Respect, Upgraded Edition

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

dropbacks per roughing the passer seems like a disingenuous stat when you are comparing what has been the best o line in the league for like 20 years now and the cardinals who have had the worst for the same amount of time

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Patriots offensive line just seems to be doing real well. A guy like Brady will kill you if you're not getting to him. Joe Flacco showed that even a middling QB can have a crazy playoff run if his offensive line is playing out of his mind so you know Brady can do the same. Who knows what happens their line blocks better at the end of that Eagles game and Brady isn't forced to fumble.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

That's the only stat that matters for fans who actually want their team to be good

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kawalimus posted:

Patriots offensive line just seems to be doing real well. A guy like Brady will kill you if you're not getting to him. Joe Flacco showed that even a middling QB can have a crazy playoff run if his offensive line is playing out of his mind so you know Brady can do the same. Who knows what happens their line blocks better at the end of that Eagles game and Brady isn't forced to fumble.

Ndamukong Suh, a weary nation turns its eyes to you.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

VJeff posted:

Ndamukong Suh, a weary nation turns its eyes to you.

Suh's actually been a monster these last few games. Would love to see him crush the true underdog, the biggest suck qb of all time, Thomas Brady.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

mcmagic posted:

The way MAGA Patriot games are officiated has something to do with that.

if you think the league is rigged how are you still emotionally invested in it? seems not smart

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

without that strip sack the pats win no question. he was walking over the eagles at that point.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

without that strip sack the pats win no question. he was walking over the eagles at that point.

Not likely because even if the Pats drove down and got a touchdown the defense would have absolutely given up 50 yards in under a minute to give up a game winning field goal. I have literally no doubt that would have happened.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not likely because even if the Pats drove down and got a touchdown the defense would have absolutely given up 50 yards in under a minute to give up a game winning field goal. I have literally no doubt that would have happened.

2017-18 D was super fraudulent

2018-19 D looks better lately but is still ehhhh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If not for the defense stepping up to make a play the Patriots score a TD because the defense wasn't capable of stepping up to make a play

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pats defense gave up a score on literally every single Eagles drive in the 2nd half except for the final kneeldown lol. They forced one punt all game. ONE.

Nov 6, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pats defense gave up a score on literally every single Eagles drive in the 2nd half except for the final kneeldown lol.

It is kinda funny to hear about Belichick's vaunted half-time adjustments when in reality the past few years the defense has played better in the 1st half of games.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

This doesn't make sense at all and doesn't actually prove anything... What it should be is proportion of roughing the passer penalties where the rusher actually made contact with the quarterback. To make it more simple, you could just make it how many times a roughing call was made vs. how many QB hits + sacks Brady took. Doing it by pressure or dropback means nothing, especially because Brady doesn't get touched a lot.

This is absurdly obvious, anyone who works with numbers would understand that so from that I assume that this guy is just blatantly carrying water for Brady. It's also a fair assumption that he actually has benefited the most

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That wasn’t people blowing whistles, that was one dude and his natural whistle.

Wrong, there were shots of the stadium in which you could see bright orange whistles in people's hands. You could also tell be the sound which wasn't at all like a natural whistle. Pretty scummy imo and security should prevent that from happening.

Play fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 21, 2019

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

qkkl posted:

If a foul occurs that doesn't affect the outcome of a play, for example roughing the passer, then the punishment should not be yardage or downs, but rather the player who committed the foul should be forced to sit out a number of plays, and automatically ejected on a second similar offense. This will make BS roughing the passer and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties not hurt the whole team and fanbase, but only the player who committed the foul.

It would take a lot of pressure off the refs who might be influenced to call, or not call, such fouls in big time moments.

This is the dumbest idea possible because you'd just have some goon diving at knees and heads.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Brady dropped that pass and the Pats lost

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

The Washington Post's Mark Maske reports the NFL's competition committee will "give consideration" to making pass interference calls reviewable.

Several coaches including Sean Payton, whose team was on the receiving end of a horrific and game-changing non-call on Sunday, have been in favor of making pass interference reviewable, and it sounds like there is a possibility they will get their wish. "It will be discussed at length along with additional fouls that coaches feel should be subject to review," a source told Maske. A more comprehensive and streamlined review system could help, but the underlying issue is a serious refereeing problem which needs to be addressed.

I really hope this is just them trying to kill a story and not a serious idea because the last thing the nfl needs is reviewing every single play and dragging the games out longer.

It's a barely watchable product as it is.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Play posted:

Wrong, there were shots of the stadium in which you could see bright orange whistles in people's hands. You could also tell be the sound which wasn't at all like a natural whistle. Pretty scummy imo and security should prevent that from happening.

What motivation would stadium security have to do this though? They're paid by the home team

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

I really hope this is just them trying to kill a story and not a serious idea because the last thing the nfl needs is reviewing every single play and dragging the games out longer.

It's a barely watchable product as it is.

How will it drag things out if there are still only two challenges?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

shyduck posted:

Brady dropped that pass and the Pats lost

Brady might have the polar opposite body type and approach to fitness and nutrition but he’s basically on the same athletic tier as Bartolo Colon.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
If the internet in today’s form is around in the mid 90’s does America hate Jordan like it hates Brady?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
[

Android Apocalypse posted:

That same Anderson is the one that gashed the Pats when Osweiller was helming the Broncos.

I'm curious why Gurley sat out for most of that game. Injury?

He ain't right, that's for sure. I kind of like Anderson as a change of pace guy and he might be actually better than Gurley in short yardage. But one great thing about Gurley is that if he gets into some open space he can take it to the house.

DariusLikewise posted:

Gurley wasn't injured he was just playing like poo poo. He dropped a pass leading to an interception, he dropped 2 other easy catches and wasn't running like CJ Anderson was so McVay rode the hot hand.

Those drops were horrible to be sure but I do not think this is the whole story. Another factor is definitely the injury and McVay wanting him to be available.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In the real one there’s a good chance California is Patriots lol

I don't understand why you would think that. I've never met a single Patriots fan in California after living in various cities for 25 years

Intruder posted:

What motivation would stadium security have to do this though? They're paid by the home team

It should be illegal because it directly interferes with the game, similar to throwing something on the field. Moreover it was loving annoying even in the broadcast and I would really prefer a precedent isn't set and we have to listen to idiots blowing whistles every single game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

How will it drag things out if there are still only two challenges?

More opportunities to use it.

And then eventually teams will want more challenges once they start challenging pick plays and the like.

wyoak posted:

If the internet in today’s form is around in the mid 90’s does America hate Jordan like it hates Brady?

well we would definitely know a lot more about Jordan than we did in the 90s. Things that aren't grea

Of course god knows Jordan wouldn't have been able to keep his mouth shut on twitter.