Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

System Metternich posted:

So if I got this right, May's newest idea is to negotiate a separate deal with Ireland even though Dublin has repeatedly made it clear that this is not something that is going to happen, ever? :psyduck:

From the little things being leaked from her cabinet it's clear she's all in with the hard brexit side of her government rather than try to appeal to parliament. Which means now more than ever everything she does is just to stall while we shamble towards no deal. Yes she is incompetent but I think from now on the incompetence is going to be pantomime. I expect all manner of bullshit 'ideas' will be floated and then quickly dismissed as we approach the vote in February. It also seems this has stopped whatever jitters were making people leak that a GE was imminent. I'd love to be wrong about that last bit but eh, it's gone very quiet and all our lovely media is just going around in circles going "can May REALLY rewrite the GFA!????!?!? IS this GOOD or BAD? DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" which means absolutely nothing is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Obliterati posted:

They might be on it, but 'plan' is a little strong as few ministers are willing to tell their departments wtf is up so they're mostly improvising their own No Deal plans without ministerial input

Considering that the ministers seem to be assigned to departments with no regards to their knowledge about that field, that almost sounds like a good thing.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Barry Foster posted:

I tend to severely downplay my knowledge, intelligence and experience both to myself and others, because I'm so deathly afraid of becoming another dunning kruger casualty.

But I'm finally coming round to the fact that I may, in fact, know and understand more about politics than 90% of journalists and politicians.

And if I can say that then we're really in deep poo poo

well yeah it isn't their job to know things. in a lot of cases you could say its their job to not know things.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

here’s 88p compensation, worth quite a lot in my day

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Regarde Aduck posted:

From the little things being leaked from her cabinet it's clear she's all in with the hard brexit side of her government rather than try to appeal to parliament. Which means now more than ever everything she does is just to stall while we shamble towards no deal. Yes she is incompetent but I think from now on the incompetence is going to be pantomime. I expect all manner of bullshit 'ideas' will be floated and then quickly dismissed as we approach the vote in February. It also seems this has stopped whatever jitters were making people leak that a GE was imminent. I'd love to be wrong about that last bit but eh, it's gone very quiet and all our lovely media is just going around in circles going "can May REALLY rewrite the GFA!????!?!? IS this GOOD or BAD? DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" which means absolutely nothing is happening.

I thought that back during the referendum she was generally on the remain side of things, even though she mostly didn't say anything in the hopes of thereby positioning herself as a possible successor to Cameron? What changed, or has it all been an act from day 1?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I thought that back during the referendum she was generally on the remain side of things, even though she mostly didn't say anything in the hopes of thereby positioning herself as a possible successor to Cameron? What changed, or has it all been an act from day 1?

I feel like 'we' voted leave so she's doing that lovely parent thing where they catch their kid smoking and then make them smoke like 100 cigs in a row. "OH YOU LIKE SMOKING DO YOU?!" level shittery.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

I think tbh she's loyal to the party and doesn't give a poo poo either way about Brexit. She'll pursue whatever drat fool idea she can if it let's her stave off or prevent the party from splitting

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

tarbrush posted:

I think tbh she's loyal to the party and doesn't give a poo poo either way about Brexit. She'll pursue whatever drat fool idea she can if it let's her stave off or prevent the party from splitting

She's loyal to being PM and nothing else, so she will always take the action that buys her one more day regardless of what that means the day after

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Spangly A posted:

ran into a cousin who works for the beeb at my uncles funeral a few months back, this was my response when she asked if I was a corbynite

she's a political correspondent who did not know vote leave had even been charged over anything relating to the ref, not long after the guilty verdict. She was promoted straight there, from the weather, during the Cameron purges

can't imagine why the fourth estate is failing at it's job of explaining basic terms to people within a two year timeframe

As someone who worked at the BBC I can attest that the level of "failing upward" is staggering

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Obliterati posted:

She's loyal to being PM and nothing else, so she will always take the action that buys her one more day regardless of what that means the day after

I think that arises out of the certainty that PM BoJo would split the party, but I could be wrong.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Ika posted:

Considering that the ministers seem to be assigned to departments with no regards to their knowledge about that field, that almost sounds like a good thing.

this isn't really a problem

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

exmarx posted:

this isn't really a problem

the past 9 years suggests the contrary

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Troubles are back baby, awhoooooooo (wolf howl)

https://twitter.com/nadabakos/status/1087397686431514628

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Trump will (or possibly already did) make a trade deal contingent upon having a hard border with Ireland so he can boost the US wall industry and promote the general concept of walls o the world stage

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

twoday posted:

Trump will (or possibly already did) make a trade deal contingent upon having a hard border with Ireland so he can boost the US wall industry and promote the general concept of walls o the world stage

bold of you to assume that trump knows about northern ireland

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

brugroffil posted:

The Troubles are back baby, awhoooooooo (wolf howl)

https://twitter.com/nadabakos/status/1087397686431514628

Dissident bombings aren't new and have nothing to do with Brexit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What's a good way to make some money from all the Brexit idiocy as a EU citizen? I'm mainly looking to make enough money so that I don't have to work for the rest of my life

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Smuggling? Food and medicine in and people out. Be sure to only deal in gold bullion for payment.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

What's a good way to make some money from all the Brexit idiocy as a EU citizen? I'm mainly looking to make enough money so that I don't have to work for the rest of my life

Be connected to those in the government who will be in charge of selling off state owned assets

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

In ascending order of profitability: Consulting work for corporates on how to best flee the UK to other tax havens, scavenging instructor, ferry-sans-ferry entrepreneurship.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Invent some sort of grift (like those who sell this Brexit emergency pack ot w/e) and go on from there

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/felixsalmon/status/1087424217174425602

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I absolutely don’t get it, do the hardcore no-dealers have some dirt on her or does she truly prefer ruling over the ashes or what

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

I absolutely don’t get it, do the hardcore no-dealers have some dirt on her or does she truly prefer ruling over the ashes or what

She wants someone else to make the decision for her. Just like Corbyn, she's stuck in zugswang where any move splits her party. Her only play is for someone else to take the fall.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

but her party and her political career are doomed regardless, the principled thing to do would be to dive on the hand grenade and save what can still be saved

which of course will never happen lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

shes absolutely going to be remembered as the worst ever PM regardless of what happens with brexit now lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1087432789912363008

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1087425506931294209

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

Theresa May bursting through a glass ceiling labeled "Neville Chamberlain", face slashed and bleeding from the shards: "My whole philosophy is about doing, not talking."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ANthony eden is probably worse

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jose posted:

ANthony eden is probably worse

She has time yet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i meant than neville chamberlain lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jose posted:

i meant than neville chamberlain lol

The Suez Crisis was pretty bad, but the Munich Agreement was really bad.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

funny how they're all tories :thunk:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Suez Crisis was pretty bad, but the Munich Agreement was really bad.

chamberlain didn't wait to get owned a second time, he signed the agreement and britain immediately begins preparing for war. Even if this wasn't his doing he had the rodent instinct to not block building an army capable of taking on a superpower, dooming the uk to bankruptcy and buying time to survive while stalin saved europe

if the suez crisis had ended with Eden's government waving ten gallon hats, whoopin' and hollerin' "Empire forever" as the nukes they rode dropped on every single US military base then yeah, it's a fair comparison. It didn't though

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

funny how they're all tories :thunk:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spangly A posted:

if the suez crisis had ended with Eden's government waving ten gallon hats, whoopin' and hollerin' "Empire forever" as the nukes they rode dropped on every single US military base then yeah, it's a fair comparison. It didn't though

Britain deserved to lose.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

oh god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1087464235662221314