Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
That might be the most sprung a trap has ever been.

E: not a great way to start a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hyperhazard posted:

I think they meant every fertilized egg. Although I don't doubt there are people out there wringing their hands everytime a woman has her period.

Yup. When abortion started being a topic there started being debate on when life begins. It's a huge deal as the evangelical belief is ultimately that you become a person when the soul enters the body. The question was exactly when that happened. Eventually it was settled on the soul enters the body when the egg is fertilized; therefore every fertilized egg is a person so the morning after pill is abortion and thus murder.

Of course that runs into the snag that less than half of fertilized eggs ever implant in the first place. Sometimes they just fail to while other times the woman's body just looks at the egg and goes "lol, nah. Try again." I think even after it starts developing the body can detect that something is going wrong to make it not a viable baby so it gets rid of it.

Plus like was said if you treat literally every egg as a potential person that must be protected at all costs then you end up turning every woman into a mass murderer. Of course the quiverful movement is ultimately this mindset taken to an extreme; they believe that even refusing to have sex is denying the will of God so you have to marry young and have as many babies as possible consequences be damned.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Merkinman posted:

So unless a woman has a child for every egg in her, she's aborting (murdering) the rest?

I tried that argument once when I was an edgelord in highschool. It just got me yelled at because that's different but without any concrete facts to back up how having a period is less killing a baby than jerking off.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup. When abortion started being a topic there started being debate on when life begins. It's a huge deal as the evangelical belief is ultimately that you become a person when the soul enters the body. The question was exactly when that happened. Eventually it was settled on the soul enters the body when the egg is fertilized; therefore every fertilized egg is a person so the morning after pill is abortion and thus murder.

Of course that runs into the snag that less than half of fertilized eggs ever implant in the first place. Sometimes they just fail to while other times the woman's body just looks at the egg and goes "lol, nah. Try again." I think even after it starts developing the body can detect that something is going wrong to make it not a viable baby so it gets rid of it.

Plus like was said if you treat literally every egg as a potential person that must be protected at all costs then you end up turning every woman into a mass murderer. Of course the quiverful movement is ultimately this mindset taken to an extreme; they believe that even refusing to have sex is denying the will of God so you have to marry young and have as many babies as possible consequences be damned.

A smart view on that would also take brain development into account (which is what abortion laws are actually based on), unless they're trying to suggest that you can have a soul with no mind.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

PirateDentist posted:

Arizona finally corrected that. In 1993. After the NFL moved the super bowl in 1990. They signed it into law in 1986, but then the next shithead governor reversed it.

I guess legally statewise it's "Martin Luther King Jr. / Civil Rights Day." But I've never noticed it called anything besides MLK day by any government entity.
In law they corrected it. go to arizona and alot of people will be saying happy james earl ray day or happy lee day. Its a poo poo hole i lived in. I havent for over 10yrs but something tells me the state olds go to for a dry heat didnt change much.

AlbieQuirky posted:

West Virginia only exists because they wouldn’t get on the treason bandwagon and seceded from traitor Virginia.

The number of chuds there who fly the treason flag shame their ancestors.

:hai:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

a soul with no mind.

Conservative voters! :haw:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chitoryu12 posted:

A smart view on that would also take brain development into account (which is what abortion laws are actually based on), unless they're trying to suggest that you can have a soul with no mind.

Well, there's your problem right there.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is a dril tweet

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

felch me daddy jr. posted:

You heard it here first: having bad opinions about a murder is exactly the same as committing it.

Dear god I hope this isn’t the first place you’ve heard that, American education is bad but Jesus.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

T-man posted:

i joined the die cis scum brigade when I saw boguie cis gays throw trans women under the bus again and again and again and I realized the only way to escape is gonna have to be bottom up because god knows the cis are bad at top down improvements. PoC probably feel the same way about my white people thoughts on racism and with equally sound and valid evidence.

ps. allies suck but I'd rather take an ally to dinner than a terf and that's my personal measure of who i trust.

What does "allies suck" even mean?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Regarde Aduck posted:

It means "If a straight/cis person says they support LGBT rights, they're probably just virtue signalling".

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

snergle posted:

In law they corrected it. go to arizona and alot of people will be saying happy james earl ray day or happy lee day. Its a poo poo hole i lived in. I havent for over 10yrs but something tells me the state olds go to for a dry heat didnt change much.

:psyduck:

I've been here virtually my entire life and never once heard anyone say that in my 30 years. I try not to hang out with racist hicks or in sun city though, so perhaps that's why. Not saying it doesn't happen.

PirateDentist has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Jan 21, 2019

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Dehry posted:

Sony has been blocking games with any kind of touch interaction with an anime girl after a game was banned in the UK for having underage characters last summer. Gamers blame it on moving the Playstation division to CALIFORNIA

if there's one thing Nintendo is known for, it's not censoring videogames and loving an adults-only approach.

On an unrelated note, what the gently caress is up with that outfit it's just a collar attached to two pieces of cloth!

Regarde Aduck posted:

It means people say poo poo like this. Also allies suck.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It means "If a straight/cis person says they support LGBT rights, they're probably just virtue signalling".

T-man has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Jan 21, 2019

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

You know who else thought the Allies sucked?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So the only way to win is to not play the game? Just cross our fingers and hope everything works out?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Byzantine posted:

You know who else thought the Allies sucked?

Axis is a way cooler term, gotta hand it to 'em.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Aramek posted:

Axis is a way cooler term, gotta hand it to 'em.

Should have spelled it Axes the swastika already looks like a bunch of axes in a circle.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I mean nothing is ever going to be as good as the Playstation 2 but you don't need to be a dick about it twitter dude.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Push El Burrito posted:

Should have spelled it Axes the swastika already looks like a bunch of axes in a circle.

Axes on an axis?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

T-man posted:

It means people say poo poo like this. Also allies suck.

So what you're saying is that all non-trans people are inherently wrong no matter what we do? I just want to know where you stand.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
#NotAllCis

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So what you're saying is that all non-trans people are inherently wrong no matter what we do? I just want to know where you stand.

There's cis people who support trans causes, and then there's AlliesTM.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People who act like allies but balk at doing anything that makes them uncomfortable like going to protests or calling bigots on their poo poo are not allies

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

So the only way to win is to not play the game? Just cross our fingers and hope everything works out?

Don't talk the talk, walk the walk. Don't expect praise even if you do help out, and don't assume your contribution will be important if it isn't objectively important. Don't make helping others be about you.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm amazed that you think this is what abortion laws are based on.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Also don't expect LGBTQ people (or POCs, this applies equally) to educate you about why XYZ is sexist/racist/homophobic/transphobic. Look it up, it's 2019, take the initiative and learn something.

As a corollary, if you find yourself wanting to tell an angry member of one of these marginalized groups that they are too angry, or too sensitive, or overreacting, and their message would be better received if they were more civil, don't. Bite your tongue. Bite it the gently caress off if you have to. This is called tone policing and it is a tool of an oppressive system used to silence the already marginalized. Do not tone police. These people have every right to be as angry as they want, because for you it's a matter of doing what you feel is right, treating people equally and fairly, trying to be a decent person. For them it is a matter of life and death, a matter of being deprived of the rights we take for granted.

Plus if the chud reaction to #MeToo and the whole taking a knee thing teaches us anything, it's that bigots don't want people to protest quietly and civilly, they want them to go away. The most civil statement about systemic prejudice and injustice is met with cishet white people aggressively rage-making GBS threads their chinos in apoplectic fury that someone dared to suggest that the world is unfair.

tl;dr: get mad

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Jan 21, 2019

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Somfin posted:

There's cis people who support trans causes, and then there's AlliesTM.

Ah, that makes sense. I was trying to figure out how to distinguish, and self-identification is probably a big part of it. You shouldn’t call yourself an ally, you should just try to help and maybe the people you’re helping will think of you as an ally. Which is still their call to make- “Have I done enough to be an ally yet” is a bad question.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

RoboRodent posted:

The morning after pill is explicitly not an abortion. If you're pregnant, it doesn't work. You might have a fertilized egg floating around, but it's about a 72 hour window where it needs to implant, which it might not regardless of what you do. You are not pregnant until that egg implants in the uterine wall. Plan B prevents implantation in the same way other forms of hormonal birth control do, if you take it in that 72 hour window.

No, Plan B does not prevent implantation. It prevents ovulation and thickens cervical mucus to repel sperm. Forced-birthers lie and say it prevent implantation so they can claim it's an abortion pill instead of just a big dose of the regular hormonal birth control they all take to control their own reproduction because they aren't irresponsible sluts like some people.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

nah ignore all the reasonable posts above I want all cis people to die and I think gay abortions should be mandatory because i am a transgender because im so dumb and goddamn crazy you thin skinned dorks

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
There’s an easy way to answer this. https://www.planbonestep.com/about-plan-b-one-step/how-does-it-work.aspx

Usually it works as there wolf described, but it may also prevent fertilization or implantation.

The anti-choice side wants to make even prevention of implantation verboten, so I don’t think it’s good to omit that a higher dose of levonorgestrel might stop it. They shouldn’t get to define all the terms of this long rear end fight.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

T-man posted:

nah ignore all the reasonable posts above I want all cis people to die and I think gay abortions should be mandatory because i am a transgender because im so dumb and goddamn crazy you thin skinned dorks

How do you tell if the baby is gay before you abort it? Seems like you would have to wait till a little later on.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

chitoryu12 posted:

They're 100% suggesting you can have a soul without a mind. Or rather, if you have a brain that exists as an organ, you have a mind. For fun*, read the anencephaly baby thread from a few years back. (Don't have a link while phone posting, but I'm sure someone does.)

*it's actually very sad, but a good look into the thought process of a fundamentalist

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I was trying to figure out how to distinguish, and self-identification is probably a big part of it. You shouldn’t call yourself an ally, you should just try to help and maybe the people you’re helping will think of you as an ally. Which is still their call to make- “Have I done enough to be an ally yet” is a bad question.

I know a guy who went and got a tattoo of a safety pin, and then went up to a poc friend of his and showed it to her, saying "you'll appreciate this". That's an Ally TM.

And if someone is thinking about if they have done enough to be considered an ally yet, they aren't doing anything because it is right, they are doing it because they want to be identified and praised for it.

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Jan 21, 2019

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
If your response to a trans person saying allies suck is to ask why anyone would even support their human rights if they think that, then you've just answered the question of why allies suck. Just support people's rights and stop worrying if you're "one of the good ones".

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

If your response to a trans person saying allies suck is to ask why anyone would even support their human rights if they think that, then you've just answered the question of why allies suck. Just support people's rights and stop worrying if you're "one of the good ones".

Right. If you have to ask "am I doing enough to be considered an ally?", then it doesn't matter how much you do, really, the answer will be "gently caress you". And if that response makes you angry, then gently caress you.

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 23:01 on Jan 21, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

T-man posted:

if there's one thing Nintendo is known for, it's not censoring videogames and loving an adults-only approach.

There's a Senran Kagura game on Switch that's almost entirely the extra-skeevy stuff that got removed from a PS4 remake or whatever. Nintendo is horny now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's a Senran Kagura game on Switch that's almost entirely the extra-skeevy stuff that got removed from a PS4 remake or whatever. Nintendo is horny now.

We're through the looking glass here, then. D: