Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I like this new Carmen Sandiego. Binged it in a couple of sittings.

The only thing I don't really care for is what they did with Zack and Ivy. Their personalities and skill sets didn't make the jump from the old cartoon much at all, and they're mostly there for comic relief.

One big improvement is that "Player" isn't some kid playing a game. I always thought it was dumb that the old show took place inside of a game. It's a cartoon, they could have done whatever they wanted, and they went with that for some dumb reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Casimir Radon posted:

The only thing I don't really care for is what they did with Zack and Ivy. Their personalities and skill sets didn't make the jump from the old cartoon much at all, and they're mostly there for comic relief.

The Boston accents can go jump off a bridge though.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

The_Doctor posted:

The Boston accents can go jump off a bridge though.

New Zack and Ivy were hits in our group precisely because they're from Southie and we know people just like them.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
BOSTON SUCKS!

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Gaunab posted:

BOSTON SUCKS!

:wrongcity:

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

BOSTON SUCKS!

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Also VILE is pretty much a terrorist organization this time around. On one hand that makes more sense. On the other It's just another reminder that we live in the lovely post 9/11 world, and I long for the goofy version of VILE that would steal the Taj Mahal for funsies.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
So Rise of the TMNT had a 30 min special episode that explained this incarnation's origins of the turtles and especially Splinter and it's honestly a pretty interesting take on the character. Having the turtles use action movies in their training is a neat reimagining of their old origin where Splinter just taught them from a book on martial arts, but having Splinter actually BE their action movie idol is really cool. I'm excited to see where all this goes!

Also, the animation for the fights are always really good but they seriously took it up a notch for this episode

https://twitter.com/holymangos/status/1087078623310499840

If you never thought fish and ladders could be effective weapons, then well... now you do.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

VibrantPareidolia posted:

If you never thought fish and ladders could be effective weapons, then well... now you do.

This is the thesis of like three Jackie Chan movies.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

Please, tell me when they use a regular hat as a weapon before comparing them to Jackie Chan.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Iirc, wasn't the first jackie chan film brought to the west one with a hype sf ladder fight?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Finally getting around to watching the new Carmen Sandiego series. I'm also iffy on the Bostonian accents for Zack and Ivy, but I appreciate them figuring out places to put their pun-tastic names. I really like the choice of making "The Player" a character, but I wish Zack and Ivy had more concrete specialties like in the original animated series rather than just being her sidekicks. I'm only on episode 6 but I'm also mixed on the Detective, but then I'm more partial to someone like Zenigata who's actually extremely competent despite his failures in capturing his target of choice.

Other things: I hope El Topo and Le Chevre make a happy couple. Also, I'd really like to see a Stealth Action game based on this cartoon ala Assassin's Creed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Metal Gear Sandiego

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Funky Valentine posted:

And most of Jackie Chan Adventures as well

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
One of the executive producers did confirm that Jackie Chan's improvised weapon fights were an influence. Didn't name specifics, but it's a pretty good bet First Strike was a big part of it

https://youtu.be/lIcxkTiyomY

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Metal Gear Sandiego
“You enjoy all the stealing, that’s why!”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Edutainment games have kinda gone out of fashion it seems, at least as far as I'm aware. (I could be wrong, for all I know they're making the 35th version of Math Blaster as we speak) Stealth seems like a fitting genre for one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Edutainment games have kinda gone out of fashion it seems, at least as far as I'm aware. (I could be wrong, for all I know they're making the 35th version of Math Blaster as we speak) Stealth seems like a fitting genre for one.

Edutainment games has probably gone by the wayside (at least in terms of just shoving facts in kids' faces for them to learn it in order to earn points) in lieu of more generic Apps and games. Taht being said, the Assassin's Creed games have a decent amount of historical content loaded within them if one cares to actually read it and just by making it more prominent, one could get a proper game with educational content out of it. Just like the show, it's possible to just front load it before a mission in a cutscene or tuck it in Load screens and then let the play go to work.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Edutainment games are mostly phone and tablet apps these days.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm looking forward to introducing my daughter to games like Gizmos and Gadgets, Oregon Trail, and Word Rescue through DosBOX.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

asecondduck posted:

I'm looking forward to introducing my daughter to games like Gizmos and Gadgets, Oregon Trail, and Word Rescue through DosBOX.

But how did that thief fit an entire team of oxen into those little boxes? Were they Carmen Sandiego all along?!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The last of the real edutainment titles came out in the early 2000s. A lot of the big properties ended up in the hands of companies that realized they could just resell the stuff from the 90s until the end of the world and that was that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My future kids will play Putt-Putt and nothing else.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The Humongous games are on steam. I bought all of the Freddi Fish and Pajama Sam games during a steam sale last year.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Oh my god, those Boston accents :allears:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Iirc, wasn't the first jackie chan film brought to the west one with a hype sf ladder fight?

okay, this actually took me down a weird rabbit hole.

First Strike (the one you're thinking of) was Police Story 4, and came out in the US after both Rumble in the Bronx and Police Story 3 (aka Supercop), and the three of those are what made him insanely famous in America (and sparked a renewed interest in martial arts movies as a whole). however, the original Drunken Master played NYC grindhouses dubbed in the mid-80s and was widely available on video, as was (as far as I can tell) Snake in the Eagle's Shadow.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

I love the fact that baron draxum can be goofy yet still very threatening.

Edit: spelling correction

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 24, 2019

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
was iffy on their takes on zack and ivy but for some reason, zack reminds me of joey wheeler from yu gi oh for no apparent reason. maybe with a bit of that other wheeler from captain planet.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I can see Joey Wheeler in Zack in that both can be kind of annoying in their mannerism in addition to their strong regional accents.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I was thinking more of Wheeler from Captain Planet. Both gingers with strong accents and minimal tact with other similar mannerisms.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I was kind of wondering why Carmen keeps Zack around given his wide array of personality problems, but I suppose the number of hypercompetent white hats under the age of 19 can't be that high.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rand Brittain posted:

I was kind of wondering why Carmen keeps Zack around given his wide array of personality problems, but I suppose the number of hypercompetent white hats under the age of 19 can't be that high.

Zack and Ivy came as a pair, and Ivy is worth keeping Zack around.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

Zack and Ivy came as a pair, and Ivy is worth keeping Zack around.

That seems reasonable, particularly when you consider that Zack is extremely good within his specialty even if he's immature and flighty in all other respects.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

That seems reasonable, particularly when you consider that Zack is extremely good within his specialty even if he's immature and flighty in all other respects.

What's his specialty?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

What's his specialty?

Zack? Zack? He's a Lego Maniac.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They should have retained some of their skills from the last cartoon. I know they want to emphasize Carmen, but they made Zack and Ivy too bumbling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Zack? Zack? He's a Lego Maniac.

Ah poo poo, that took me to tries to get.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ah poo poo, that took me to tries to get.

They used both Zack and Jack in those commercials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

What's his specialty?

He’s the driver.

Incidentally, are those lines on his really high cheekbones or oddly symmetrical scars?