Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

y i k e s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
That's quite the horror story :gonk:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

But it uses technology, it must be much more secure

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

smart locks are awful but dumb keycode locks are great

pull up, technology, you almost had it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
my brothers and I got our parents a smart lock for Christmas, I should see if I can get one and gently caress with it too

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"not being sufficiently stumpfuck stupid to allow your home to be open to anyone who can work iot garbage" isn't a protected class so let's evict you for this reason

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Apparently they don’t even hash/salt the PIN numbers.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Pin and tumbler locks are basically keycode locks where you don't need to remember the keycode and you don't need electricity. Anyone with the key pin lengths and knowhow can file a key. So that's why you're not supposed to take photos of keys, or at least keep photos of keys completely secure

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Pin and tumbler locks are basically keycode locks where you don't need to remember the keycode and you don't need electricity. Anyone with the key pin lengths and knowhow can file a key. So that's why you're not supposed to take photos of keys, or at least keep photos of keys completely secure

I love how most of the master keys for major cities/regions public safety departments are openly called by some series of numbers which happens to be the pin sequence. Good opsec everybody

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R4CRQpz0Dc

I guess this works in combination with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye-C-OOFsX8

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tbf if ur gonna do common biting like that it doesn't matter how well you protect your key documentation since the folks who would use it can just decode the key from a lock. its really just there to prevent tampering by kids and other casual assholes

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bob dobbs is dead posted:

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I love how most of the master keys for major cities/regions public safety departments are openly called by some series of numbers which happens to be the pin sequence. Good opsec everybody

yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AayXf5aRFTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVPSaKLKHd4

locks are important as a definite signal that access is forbidden in some cases, and that picking a lock is almost always something very explicit you're doing to access a space without authorization, which is a good thing to build legal frameworks on

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

they make keys with active elements to make them even harder to copy, but I would be surprised if the manufacturer actually claimed the key was uncopyable.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

they make keys with active elements to make them even harder to copy, but I would be surprised if the manufacturer actually claimed the key was uncopyable.

look what thread you're in, are you sure you'd be surprised?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

my brothers and I got our parents a smart lock for Christmas

reported for elder abuse

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
my best swing at that protest wise would be to reinstall the lock on like a bathroom door or some poo poo and maybe send all of the network traffic to a chinese vpn or something.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jesus gently caress :gonk:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the most amazing part of that story is the expectation that the iot hub thingy will be plugged into the tenant's own personal network equipment

also @hacks4pancakes is a good infosec person to follow on twitter. she posts lots of cool and interesting news

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
wow that’s really lovely but also bad that I have to click on that and read 30 microposts to understand what’s going on.

I’m sure I would move as well. Which will work, for now.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hed posted:

wow that’s really lovely but also bad that I have to click on that and read 30 microposts to understand what’s going on.

I’m sure I would move as well. Which will work, for now.
somewhere in that thread she says the management company is installing them in 40,000 units, and if it's considered a success (saves them money somehow) you better believe everyone else will adopt it as well

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

somewhere in that thread she says the management company is installing them in 40,000 units, and if it's considered a success (saves them money somehow) you better believe everyone else will adopt it as well

WarDriver 40,000

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I can't wait until they're force to replace them all in 5 years because the company folded and the app no longer works

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
the defunct gutted smart locks + mismatched add-on deadbolts will provide good cyberpunk aesthetics for our future slums

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Bhodi posted:

pretty sure the private sector will try and use the money-saving angle, but there's literally no way this will save money. even small scale attempts to use localised moisture sensors to try and see how effective new damp-proofing installations are have resulted in overt privacy issues when put against a timescale (e.g. why is the bedroom getting high readings on a saturday night for 5 minutes?)

now the right way to tackle this is by tackling energy usage and teaching people how to use their heating device correctly for them.

can't wait to see the first housing association to be stupid enough to roll any of these out, because somewhere a vendor is attempting to grift

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bhodi posted:

i'm certain the mgmt company will come back later and say "heh well now that we've increased the value of these units with our smart IoT app-enabled locks :smugbird: of course we have to jump your rent another hundo a month" (on top of the couple hundo they were already going to jump the rent)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol ok symantec here we go again

they have this thing called a shared insight cache, which at its core is just a big memory lookup table of process hashes, the definition rev, and the number of clients that voted it clean. so when things are doing disk scans, they can call back to this server and get a verdict on the file without doing the full scanning poo poo locally and expending those cycles. they sell it as a vdi optimization thing, but really you could use it for any system so long as they have a low latency connection to the server and .5mbit network overhead to spare.

the documentation is garbo with some kind of cert-less TLS implementation they you can intercept and then creds being passed inside that tunnel, but I guess you can increase the vote threshold before a hash is marked clean to minimize the risk of cache tampering. there's not any scaling guidelines to speak of so I'm profiling this thing to figure it out what I have to throw at it and I see the client start spamming hundreds of new sockets against the cache instance. at one point in the scanning process, the client opens 100+ sockets to the cache listener, and it seems to happen at around the same point at the beginning of every scan, which means I can have 650 clients doing this at once before this stupid things starts running off the rails for a failure mode I'm sure they didn't validate for.

for a company that claims to be an enterprise security vendor they sure do loving suck at it

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

well you wanted enterprise security

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

WarDriver 40,000

the new warhammer 40k faction looking good.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

pretty sure the private sector will try and use the money-saving angle, but there's literally no way this will save money. even small scale attempts to use localised moisture sensors to try and see how effective new damp-proofing installations are have resulted in overt privacy issues when put against a timescale (e.g. why is the bedroom getting high readings on a saturday night for 5 minutes?)

now the right way to tackle this is by tackling energy usage and teaching people how to use their heating device correctly for them.

can't wait to see the first housing association to be stupid enough to roll any of these out, because somewhere a vendor is attempting to grift

same but smartmeters can already rat you out for having an undeclared guest in the house etc

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

lol ok symantec here we go again

they have this thing called a shared insight cache, which at its core is just a big memory lookup table of process hashes, the definition rev, and the number of clients that voted it clean. so when things are doing disk scans, they can call back to this server and get a verdict on the file without doing the full scanning poo poo locally and expending those cycles. they sell it as a vdi optimization thing, but really you could use it for any system so long as they have a low latency connection to the server and .5mbit network overhead to spare.

the documentation is garbo with some kind of cert-less TLS implementation they you can intercept and then creds being passed inside that tunnel, but I guess you can increase the vote threshold before a hash is marked clean to minimize the risk of cache tampering. there's not any scaling guidelines to speak of so I'm profiling this thing to figure it out what I have to throw at it and I see the client start spamming hundreds of new sockets against the cache instance. at one point in the scanning process, the client opens 100+ sockets to the cache listener, and it seems to happen at around the same point at the beginning of every scan, which means I can have 650 clients doing this at once before this stupid things starts running off the rails for a failure mode I'm sure they didn't validate for.

for a company that claims to be an enterprise security vendor they sure do loving suck at it

This seems like a poor implementation of a good idea though? Does anything do this well/correctly/less-potato?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

So, I'm closing this ticket, after all the drama.

Several remarks when closing:

macOS (from OP) is using the Sparkle framework, and not the code is src/ so it's totally OT,
the code in src/ checks the new PGP key based on the previous one, a contrario from what Rodger Combs claims (comment 5); see Reddit for analysis,
the new update system is still in the work.
Serving the status over HTTPS (not the binary files) could only solve one issue "upgrade to non-last version", in case we have 3.0.4 (not-vuln), 3.0.5 (vuln) and 3.0.6 (not-vuln) and the attackers does a replay attack, with a MITM, and serves 3.0.5 to the 3.0.4 version.
This is extremely rare in VLC-land where the very large majority of issues come from old code from VLC and libavcodec.

As VLC does not warn when it cannot contact the updates server, HTTPS will not solve the freeze version.

As for DSA, it is weak indeed, because you can brute-force decrypting, but to create a valid fake message is a different task. And the code supports RSA for the new system, as you can see in the source code file.

The system is not perfect, but is far from being broken as some people would like to pin.

Finally, this topic is covered in several other tickets.

If you have a precise point to make or security issue to report, use the security channel, not the bugtracker.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

It's a plenty good idea and why I'm trying to enable it, I'm just worried that it will poo poo itself when I have 20k clients all jabbering it at once. If they were less-poo poo this would have a secure out of box config with some kinda of cert validation of the server instead of blind-tls and some kind of rpc endpoint mapper to handle the socket limits that are loving obvious for any large-scale deployment. I have to assume that most products have something similar for optimization, though probably doing some kind of cloud lookup to the vendors servers by deferring the actual scan of the file until it get can a verdict back on the file from the cloud or it times out and fails back to a local scan.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

As for DSA, it is weak indeed, because you can brute-force decrypting, but to create a valid fake message is a different task.

... unless i'm mistaken, no it literally is not

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

vodkat posted:

same but smartmeters can already rat you out for having an undeclared guest in the house etc
well ya but your smartmeter data shouldn't go to your landlord

i'm taking a viewpoint from a heavy social housing area where choice of energy supplier is delegated, but advice is available on cutting costs and thtc meters are encouraged. the only parties to see the energy use would be the tenant and energy company

to bring this back to secfuckup smart meters were pushed well before the tech was ready to hit milestones on carbon neutral targets. enjoy having smets1 devices in houses for decades as waiting a year wasn't politically viable

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

to bring this back to secfuckup smart meters were pushed well before the tech was ready to hit milestones on carbon neutral targets. enjoy having smets1 devices in houses for decades as waiting a year wasn't politically viable

and this is bad because?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

a more thorough analysis: http://watt-logic.com/2018/06/13/smets2/

take note of gb-specific zigbee

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

It's a plenty good idea and why I'm trying to enable it, I'm just worried that it will poo poo itself when I have 20k clients all jabbering it at once. If they were less-poo poo this would have a secure out of box config with some kinda of cert validation of the server instead of blind-tls and some kind of rpc endpoint mapper to handle the socket limits that are loving obvious for any large-scale deployment. I have to assume that most products have something similar for optimization, though probably doing some kind of cloud lookup to the vendors servers by deferring the actual scan of the file until it get can a verdict back on the file from the cloud or it times out and fails back to a local scan.

wouldnt randomizing scan times alleviate this problem? is that even possible in SEP?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Raere posted:

wouldnt randomizing scan times alleviate this problem? is that even possible in SEP?

yes, and no. it is a poo poo product.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

have you considered some sort of distributed ledger to handle this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
http://blog.pear.php.net

quote:

A security breach has been found on the http://pear.php.net webserver, with a tainted go-pear.phar discovered. The PEAR website itself has been disabled until a known clean site can be rebuilt. A more detailed announcement will be on the PEAR Blog once it's back online.

If you have downloaded this go-pear.phar in the past six months, you should get a new copy of the same release version from GitHub (pear/pearweb_phars) and compare file hashes. If different, you may have the infected file.

There is no ETA for when the server will be back up.

lmao 6 months jfc