Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Anyone with CTD issues should use https://www.nexusmods.com/kenshi/mods/113

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't, but I think I'm going to try this anyway. I bet that this also improves load times by quite a bit.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't, but I think I'm going to try this anyway. I bet that this also improves load times by quite a bit.

It does. Basically if you have anything less than a 1080 + SSD use this.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I have a 1070 + SSD, but gently caress it, stuff can always be faster.

[edit] drat, this is nice. My game already loads blazing fast compared to when I still had it on a standard HD, but this? This is ridiculous. Less than ten seconds from pressing continue to fully playable in-game. I really, really recommend this to everyone regardless of specs. Thanks, nuclearmonkee.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 20, 2019

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm dying. Apparently every texture starts at 2024x2024 and is scaled down on load based on setting. I might have to actually play for most of my sessions now instead of read the internet on my phone while chunks load.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

zedprime posted:

I'm dying. Apparently every texture starts at 2024x2024 and is scaled down on load based on setting.

:psyduck:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
That texture mod will come in handy, thanks for finding it.

Also, why are Swamp Raptors attacking my copper miners? I thought they were supposed to be passive. There are no nests nearby that I can see.

Edit: My Copper miner is up to like 50 Melee Defense just from constant Raptor and Beak Thing attacks. Funnily enough, it's Sadneil.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 20, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

I'm dying. Apparently every texture starts at 2024x2024 and is scaled down on load based on setting.
what

Jesus Christ, no wonder everything takes forever. How did that moron of a developer come up with an idea this stupid? You don't do that.

quote:

Also, why are Swamp Raptors attacking my copper miners? I thought they were supposed to be passive. There are no nests nearby that I can see.
Maybe they're hungry? I think that actually affects animal behaviour. Even tame predators will go and start chewing on corpses if they're hungry and you have any lying around.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Damnit, I had hoped allying with the Crab Raiders would stop these constant Crab attacks, but no, here comes another Crab Wave.

Cardiovorax posted:

Maybe they're hungry? I think that actually affects animal behaviour. Even tame predators will go and start chewing on corpses if they're hungry and you have any lying around.

Unless they've developed a taste for skeletons, I don't see that as likely, unfortunately.

I'm just gonna scratch it up to it being Sadneil. Would be kinda funny if there was a hidden modifier that made him more unlucky than others.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That's hilarious. I'm totally installing this.

I'm also restarting because I had no idea that I could change the pitch/yaw of buildings or use the editor to clear out debris blocking my buildings. My base is insanely inefficient and i would have to basically rebuild the entire goddamn thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Unless they've developed a taste for skeletons, I don't see that as likely, unfortunately.
I'm not sure that this would actually make a difference, but if it really models skeletons as inedible, that would be pretty cool.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Installed the texture mod.

I can absolutely say it looks worse (I've got a Titan XP, etc. so I was on max everything) compared to before but it runs amazingly better. So like 25% less texture quality in exchange for what feels like 200-300% performance boost.

The curse of small teams I guess. At least it's a moddable thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I barely see a difference playing on High, but I'm usually zoomed out far enough that I can't really see the details of the textures to begin with. Maybe it's different when you get in close enough to 1:1 scale.

Also, Hivers continue to be the best, even second-hand. I was in a bar at World's End and I heard a conversation about just what the hell it is that Hivers make their buildings from. The ending went kind of like this:

A: It sure ain't wood, and it ain't no rock neither. My buddy Two-Moon, he drank too much rum last week, threw up all over the bar.
B: What are you trying to say...? Wait...
A: What came out of Two-Moon, that looked a hell of a lot like that hive stuff.
B: Noooooooo...!? :gonk:
A: Just sayin'.

Trolling Tech Hunters from half a map away, that's Hivers.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The Hivers are actually kinda messed up if you look into it, I'm pretty sure they're (Pretty big spoilers ahead) some sort of biological experiment, created either by the first or second empire. Considering both Hives are ruled by Skeletons masquerading as Queens, and if you kill them, their respective Hive areas get turned to Fogmen. It might have been one of Cat-Lon's 'Thrall' experiments.

They are also very rude towards my bro Beep.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 20, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hivers are nice and awesome and my friends and it's not their fault how they were made. :colbert:

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009
There is a mod, which no longer works I guess unfortunately, that lets you build the hiver huts and in keeping with that little bar conversation the mats for it are raw meat and animal skins.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The difference in quality with the texture mod is definitely noticable, but holy hell, the performance increase is huge. I can actually play without tabbing out between zone loads now.

Also, I discovered that Rebel Farmers are hostile to Mercenaries by default, which lead to some hilarity when their relief force showed up at my base.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Posting just to chime in the same about the mod. It's visibly worse but god drat if it doesn't run so much smoother now. Jumping between my home base and my roving squad out in wherever the gently caress is so much faster now. Also means I can reasonably expand my base to be stupid big now since jumping up and down the plateau it's on isn't a nightmare.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 21, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Are you guys all playing with texture settings on ultra or something? I honestly can't really tell the difference and I'm starting to wonder if I even installed it right.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Nah I was on low to begin with. It's just more smudgy than it was before, particularly with buildings.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Vietnom nom nom posted:

In case anyone wants a base location idea for mid-late game...
I've played quite a bit of Kenshi, and having looked in every area in the game, the best base location I've found is this in the Fog Islands:

All it takes to wall off is this, closed in on three sides by terrain:

Quoting this from a few pages back because I can confirm this is a quality outpost location. You do need a decent squad to get it started, though. I did it with a caravan of about 24 with low-medium stats and high grade armor/Catun weapons. Everyone made it alive in the end but it was a massive brawl from the moment I entered the zone until I finally got the walls and a couple turrets up, and there were a few instances when a fog man managed to escape with one of my people on his back, only for one of my snipers to bring them down just before they got out of range. They're suicidally aggressive when it comes to kidnapping people, so if one of your people go down it helps to immediately pick them up and keep fighting with them on your shoulder.

Another good thing about this location is that your turret gunners never really run out of targets, so their mounted xbow skills and their Perception can get crazy high really quickly. But you also need to keep a couple people on the turrets at all times because some of the raids don't give you more than a few seconds to prepare and they can potentially get through the gates before your defenders show up.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
So I have been having issues with swamp raptors and my turret guys not firing on them while they munch through my gates. As I understand it, my guys go hostile when the raptors start eating my crops. So what if I planted some right outside my walls. The raptors take a bite, and my guys start shooting. I'll let you know if this works.

BigRoman fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 21, 2019

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I've built my first base in Gut. The beak things are no problem but I'm constantly getting entirely overrun by blooded reavers. Mounted crossbows and so my slaves repairing the gate aren't even close to enough to stop them. I may have to abandon it

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I've built my first base in Gut. The beak things are no problem but I'm constantly getting entirely overrun by blooded reavers. Mounted crossbows and so my slaves repairing the gate aren't even close to enough to stop them. I may have to abandon it

I settled in The Unwanted Zone, which is kinda similar to Gut in that the most pressing issues are Beak Things and Reavers, and I can recommend combining the two by dragging wandering Beak Things into incoming Reaver Patrols or raids.
An adult Beak Thing or two can wipe the floor with a sizable Reaver group, or at worst weaken them sufficiently that finishing them off isn't hard.

Edit: If anyone wants an interesting place for a base, there's a crater/dry volcano you can walk into east-Northeast in Stobe's Gamble. Bear in mind that this zone has no fertility, so bring Hydroponics or Skeletons.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 21, 2019

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
chiming in to say the texture mod + moving the game to my SSD cut my initial loading to basically nothing, everything might look slightly shittier but the game looks like poo poo anyways so who cares?

i'm sort of at an impasse of what to do now. i've got thieve's packs and vaguely real weapons on my main person and Hobbs, but other recruits straight up don't seem to be spawning so i've been wasting time mining copper. i'm not buff enough to fight anything even vaguely threatening because i'm so badly outnumbered. will importing help at all or do i just need to spend another week chipping rocks and hoping Ruka decides to exist?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're hanging around in the Border Zone you can flip around between The Hub, the Tech Hunter Waystation, Squin, and then dip over to the other Tech Hunter Waystation by Squin.

Squin has a lot of Shek recruits other than Ruka often enough, but they might not sign on if you don't talk to them with a Shek of your own. But some do!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Importing will repopulate bars but yeah you probably just need to poke your head into every bar even vaguely near you. You can head down south into the swamp and the UC area to find Hivers and Skeletons as well. Hiver drones (They'll have 75 health limbs) make excellent laborers, farmers, and turret operators, although you should never betray Beep's dream by leaving them at base. edit: Also once you have a base the Adventurer's Guild mod lets you pay a premium to just have recruits sent to you for inspection. It's fairly pricey too (20k to get a batch of Skeletons sent, then 10k for each Skeleton you want to recruit) so it doesn't at all feel like cheating.

If you're looking specifically for Ruka or the other Shek uniques, if they didn't spawn in Squin they'll spawn in the West in one of the other Squin cities. Drop by the travel shop for some maps.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 21, 2019

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

TBH the vanilla wall/gate health seems completely ridiculous, even at tier 3 a large group of dust bandits will knock that poo poo down in like 20 seconds. There are a few mods that increase the HP so you can tailor it to your your liking but I personally increased it by 3x.

Also my game now crashes every ten minutes and importing it didn't seem to fix it. Not sure what else I can do at this point which is a shame.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you set up a shop stall in your own base, will you get visitors? Or is that something that you usually have to do in a city proper.

edit: new goal: I am going to train an elite squad of ninjas to kidnap every faction leader and lock them up in my fortress that I will be building in the Fog Islands. It will be a never ending torrent of raids that will fall before my walls with revolver harpoon guns.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 21, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
When starting out, the Waystation south west of Squin not only has a Mechanics shop that sells everything you might need for setting up a base, but the bar there regularly spawns 5+ recruits. Often Scorchlanders too, which are rare, and great for getting some crafting going.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Fun fact: Making characters sneak while they do their jobs allows them to steal stuff to fulfill orders! And then get beat the gently caress up for stealing!!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can I open up a trader stall and become rich and never fight anything and be boring?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Leal posted:

Can I open up a trader stall and become rich and never fight anything and be boring?

You could although you're going to have supply issues unless you supplement that with trading runs or something. The production chains seem to be deliberately designed to force you to build outside of town for processed materials.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Trader stalls are semi broken, you'll want to add an improved economy mod that gives people some form of regenerating cats. Otherwise they'll buy once and never again.

E: I'll have to try that texture mod out. I'm crashing on trying to build another settlement.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 21, 2019

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I have set everything to the lowest setting. Except NPC/Obejct View Distance, which is ~5000.
Loading after startup takes 2 minutes, loading ingame new (small) chunks is at 1-10 seconds. I have a Radeon HD5970 which is like the top gamer card from 8 years ago and the game on an equally old 1TB HD, 8GB RAM, 3.5Ghz Quadcore system.

What I want to say is, it's totally playable, but the biggest performance hit is having a lot of persons in your squad. Visiting towns with 30 peeps is fine, but I better not have more than 10 people in my squad.

Maybe that's and angle to explore for more FPS.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what made me finally decide to check out this thread, good job on the title I guess. Boy I'm glad I did though - I've only played maybe 10 hours so far, but it seems like this game was made for me. It's like a post apocalyptic Morrowind, meets mount and blade, +the town building/management stuff which I'm always a sucker for in these types of games. It's totally overtaken my imagination and I hope I can stick with it for a good long while. Thanks for the recommendation, it seems real special.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

so normally! things in Kenshi just attack you! and maybe steal your food!

THEY DON'T DO THIS

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

StrixNebulosa posted:

THEY DON'T DO THIS

What's the problem, all I see is someone getting mugged for their raw meat?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Welp, the Peeler machine is an interesting way to get cybernetic limbs on.

Note to self: Have someone with extremely high first aid ready right there, and have the game on 1x speed.

At least now my first of six ninjas has two masterwork KLR arms and two masterwork stealth legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

THEY DON'T DO THIS

I don't seem to have this issue with my skeleton's only party.