Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I could see myself sitting through Hobgoblins if I saw it on cable late at night.

That and that zombie movie with Adam West

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A lot of Time Chasers problems can probably be traced back to not having much of a budget.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Billy Gnosis posted:

I could see myself sitting through Hobgoblins if I saw it on cable late at night.

That and that zombie movie with Adam West

You can buy both in GLORIOUS HD now. Actually there are quite a few MST3K movies available on Blu-Ray now for some godforsaken reason.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

muscles like this! posted:

A lot of Time Chasers problems can probably be traced back to not having much of a budget.

The totally obnoxious lead didn’t do it any favours either.

But it does have the BEST ever library mezzanine used as a corporate CEO’s office in film history!

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I still think there's a decent movie hiding deep down somewhere in Manos.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Canned Panda posted:

Yeah. Outside of the catfight bit, there's a good enough horror script that's hurt by really bad production and acting.

Similarly, I think Pumaman is a fine superhero flick for the time where the main flaws are the costuming decisions, the special effects and that one really weird line about dinosaurs. A lot is said about Pumaman being worthless, but he does fine compared to most movie superheroes. It's more that they decided to merge Obi Wan Kenobi and Chewbacca into one character with the Aztec guy and the only time he's shown to be in any peril is during a brawl late in the movie. Even if Pumaman is the guy who saved him, he still looks like a novice in comparison.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Gavok posted:

Similarly, I think Pumaman is a fine superhero flick for the time where the main flaws are the costuming decisions, the special effects and that one really weird line about dinosaurs. A lot is said about Pumaman being worthless, but he does fine compared to most movie superheroes. It's more that they decided to merge Obi Wan Kenobi and Chewbacca into one character with the Aztec guy and the only time he's shown to be in any peril is during a brawl late in the movie. Even if Pumaman is the guy who saved him, he still looks like a novice in comparison.

Pumaman also had this feeling like they weren't sure if they were going with an actual superhero movie, or like, a parody superhero movie. I suppose it's not helped by there not being all that many big superhero movies out when it was made.

And the whole random grab bag of powers too. Just like, stick with the puma theme. Keep the "claw hands," swap the teleportation for stealth and speed and the flying for leaping, and ditch the entire "pretend to be dead" plot point - you had this whole willpower thing going, then the only way he solves that is by playing dead and his girlfriend breaking the fake head that the bad guy made with the mask.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Didn't Pumaman aztec sidekick kill a bunch of people looking for the Pumaman?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rirse posted:

Didn't Pumaman aztec sidekick kill a bunch of people looking for the Pumaman?

No, the movie just does a really bad job of explaining that plot point. The bad guys were the ones throwing people out of windows because they didn't know who Pumaman was and were just murdering potential Pumamen. While Vidinho throws Pumaman out a window because he knows he's Pumaman and will be fine.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

No, the movie just does a really bad job of explaining that plot point. The bad guys were the ones throwing people out of windows because they didn't know who Pumaman was and were just murdering potential Pumamen. While Vidinho throws Pumaman out a window because he knows he's Pumaman and will be fine.

Any movie that makes a plot point out of serial defenestration was never going to be anything but awful.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

That what was happening. Wow that was very poorly explained.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Deadguy2322 posted:

Any movie that makes a plot point out of serial defenestration was never going to be anything but awful.

sounds great to me

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Breadallelogram posted:

sounds great to me

If it was the focus, sure. It’s just too good of a concept to be just a side dish.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Deadguy2322 posted:

If it was the focus, sure. It’s just too good of a concept to be just a side dish.

In fact, if the title was Serial Defenestration...

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Breadallelogram posted:

In fact, if the title was Serial Defenestration...

Perhaps we should work on a treatment...

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Only if thats also the name of the band performing the title song.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Optimist with doubt posted:

Only if thats also the name of the band performing the title song.

It will also be the name of the men’s cologne released as promotional swag!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Deadguy2322 posted:

But what if the guy is working for Dick Jones?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Gavok posted:

But what if the guy is working for Dick Jones?

Then Dick is safe.

And RoboCop throwing Boddicker through every glass wall in the drug factory was what is referred to by psychologists as a rampage defenestration, not serial defenestration.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Canned Panda posted:

Gavok posted:

Yeah. Outside of the catfight bit, there's a good enough horror script that's hurt by really bad production and acting.

I find Manos pretty unnerving (albeit unintentionally) anyway much the same way Texas Chainsaw Massacre unnerves me: both have this weird grainy snuff film quality.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I was about 12 when I saw Manos for the first time, and the ending legit creeped me out (I was still a bit of a sissy when it came to horror movies back then, to be fair). It took me at least a year before I could bring myself to watch the whole thing again.

In retrospect, having Manos be the second episode of MST3K I ever watched was a bit of an odd decision, but it’s not like the Blockbuster I was renting the tapes from was swimming in episodes to choose from. :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NuclearPotato posted:

In retrospect, having Manos be the second episode of MST3K I ever watched was a bit of an odd decision, but it’s not like the Blockbuster I was renting the tapes from was swimming in episodes to choose from. :v:

I mean, a lot of people see Manos as their first MST3K, simply because it's very very easily the most famous MST3K episode.

e: also, Manos is legit creepy in part because it's so incompetent.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 24, 2019

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Think the first one I saw was the NASA one with gene hackman I think? First one I actually watched and loved was Escape 2000.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
Due to the show not airing in Canada, the first MST3K I got to see was MST3K: The Movie on VHS from a video store I worked at. When we sold off one of the rental copies, I made sure to scoop it up to show all my friends and I got all of them hooked too. I still have that tape.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The first one me and my brother saw was Cave Dweller on some local channel in the mid 90s, which that one is a beloved episode due to that. Of course since it was the only time that had a mistake segment after the movie, I was expecting that to appear more often instead of twice.

I forget to put it on, but MST3K been airing again on Pluto, which is a channel that syndicated to local networks. I watched good old walking carpet Creeping Terror on it not too long ago.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Deadguy2322 posted:

Due to the show not airing in Canada

You could watch it in Canada. Aren't there episodes where they read letters sent from Canada?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

But Minnesota is so close to Canada I assumed we exchanged episodes of Red Green with MTS3K.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Uncle Wemus posted:

But Minnesota is so close to Canada I assumed we exchanged episodes of Red Green with MTS3K.

Do you think everyone in Canada lives in one spot?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Deadguy2322 posted:

You claimed that it didn't air in Canada, not that it didn't air where you lived in Canada.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

thexerox123 posted:

You claimed that it didn't air in Canada, not that it didn't air where you lived in Canada.

It was never broadcast by any Canadian channel, therefore it didn’t air in Canada. That’s pretty normal broadcast terminology. It aired in the states, and a small piece of Canada could possibly receive that broadcast, but the show wasn’t made available within Canada as a whole.

(A lot of people living in Toronto and Vancouver like to use their proximity to the border to shut down legitimate issues a lot of Canadians have with pricing and availability of goods in Canada. Adding to that is how ridiculously over-regulated broadcasting is here, and you have things like the fourth-largest city in Canada not being allowed to have a fourth TV station and having a cap on what American networks are even carried on cable, and things like that, and constantly having people who don’t live half a day’s drive from the border telling you “That’s not an issue, just buy an antenna/rent a US mailbox/go across and grab it there” just gets frustrating.)

Hell, even that MST3K tape wasn’t released to retail here, and if I hadn’t grabbed the ex-rental I’d never have seen it. The individual TV episodes came out here, at first as expensive imports, but then Rhino got bought by Warner Brothers and had proper distribution so it got cheaper.

Deadguy2322 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 25, 2019

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Uncle Wemus posted:

Red Green was the widest PBS pickup of a Canadian show ever, and some episodes were even shown in the US before they were broadcast in Canada. The first volumes on VHS weren’t even sold in Canada, but PBS pledge premiums.

Steve “Red Green” Smith’s first TV show, Smith and Smith, which co-starred his wife, taped in the same studio in Edmonton, Alberta as the majority of the pre-Showtime seasons of SCTV.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Deadguy2322 posted:

To be fair most of the populations of Vancouver and Toronto do in fact believe this.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

In touch of satan are the people the witch girl lives with her parents? Shouldnt they be even older and weirder?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

In touch of satan are the people the witch girl lives with her parents? Shouldnt they be even older and weirder?

They give their nut farm bales of hay so I think theyre at maximum weird frankly

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I've seem this movie many times which is why my mind is a blasted wasteland but as to the question: those are not her parents, she's hundreds of years old they're descendents of either her or her sister (grandma)

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

InfiniteZero posted:

To be fair most of the populations of Vancouver and Toronto do in fact believe this.

As an Albertan constantly getting calendar invitations for mandatory staff conference calls at 6:30 AM, I am all too aware of that.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
this loving song. i can't get it out of my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BORs1TCnHoo

love the guys' reactions to the lyrics

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What about "Mercenary Man" from Laser Mission?

Laser Mission, a movie with exactly ZERO lasers in it.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
was there ever an official count of how many times "mercenary man" started playing? i gave up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

was there ever an official count of how many times "mercenary man" started playing? i gave up

Simultaneously too many and not enough.