Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I love my MES 30" and my Fireboard. The fireboard has space for 6 probes, and also expansion for fan controllers if/when you move on to charcoal smokery.
https://www.fireboard.com/

I've done several overnight and/or gone to work cooks, and can monitor remotely just peachy.

These are my two longest cooks to date:
https://share.fireboard.io/44C8D7

https://share.fireboard.io/211293

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just smoked a slightly modified version of this and it was loving delicious.

And by slightly modified, I mean the only thing I kept the same was the meat.

My grocery store didn't have seasoned sausage meat, so I figured I'd get a bit creative. Instead of doing a rub I mixed the sausage meat with 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 an onion diced, 1/2 tsp of roasted garlic, summer savoury to taste, terryaki sauce to taste, and a couple drops of sesame oil. When I pressed it out on the bacon weave, I dusted the sausage with black pepper. I rolled up the weave and rubbed it with brown sugar and smoked it with hickory.

I also cooked it a bit hotter to get it cooked in 2 hours, rather than 3.

After the first hour, when I pulled it out to cover it in Bullseye Guinness.

It's fuckin good.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

It's fuckin good.

We do these occasionally and love em. Sometimes we do a pork tenderloin inside as well. It's called "bacon dick" among my friends.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

It's fuckin good.

Looks a lot like those old "hot dog rollup" recipes that were a fad in GBS years and years ago. It was basically a hot dog/smoked sausage encased in breakfast sausage and bacon weave, and cooked on the grill.

Of course, the recipes almost immediately lost any pretense of being appetizing and instead went for "hey, look how ridiculous we can make this!" Within days people were making these things the size of watermelons and racking up $100+ grocery bills.

Bizarrely, these monstrosities were the catalyst that led to actual recipes being shared in GBS, which eventually led to the creation of GWS.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

My grocery store didn't have seasoned sausage meat, so I figured I'd get a bit creative. Instead of doing a rub I mixed the sausage meat with 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 an onion diced, 1/2 tsp of roasted garlic, summer savoury to taste, terryaki sauce to taste, and a couple drops of sesame oil. When I pressed it out on the bacon weave, I dusted the sausage with black pepper. I rolled up the weave and rubbed it with brown sugar and smoked it with hickory.

It's fuckin good.

This looks great. I am going to have to try one of these soon. I am wondering about the bolded part above though. If you mixed it in with raw sausage how are you doing "to taste"? I hope you are not tasting raw sausage and bacon.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Dead Of Winter posted:

Looks a lot like those old "hot dog rollup" recipes that were a fad in GBS years and years ago. It was basically a hot dog/smoked sausage encased in breakfast sausage and bacon weave, and cooked on the grill.

Of course, the recipes almost immediately lost any pretense of being appetizing and instead went for "hey, look how ridiculous we can make this!" Within days people were making these things the size of watermelons and racking up $100+ grocery bills.

Bizarrely, these monstrosities were the catalyst that led to actual recipes being shared in GBS, which eventually led to the creation of GWS.

There is a guy on a local BBQ facebook group that does up the most ludicrous "things on a bun" and takes glamour shots of them to post. Good photography but each and every one of his creations looks like poo poo piled on different poo poo, wrapped on other poo poo, smothered in poo poo cheese. About as appetizing as grabbing a chunk of the fatburg in England's sewers and mashing it onto a bun.

The longer I go on doing smoked stuff, the simpler I am trying to make them so that you can actually taste the individual product. In regard to the "fatties" that I see people making, I would sooner just cook up a whole pack of quality bacon and munch on it with a couple dipping eggs.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

The longer I go on doing smoked stuff, the simpler I am trying to make them so that you can actually taste the individual product.

Totally agree.

About the only thing I smoke that isn’t a decision of protein + seasoning + wood choice is stuffed peppers.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Agreed. It's fun to see crazy stuff but there is a beauty in being simple.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

It's fuckin good.

I've done that with homemade rub, a bulk andouille from a local meat guy, and Stubbs BBQ and it's amazing.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Agreed. It's fun to see crazy stuff but there is a beauty in being simple.

Here's the thing. Bacon is at the top of the food pyramid. If one feels they need to wrap food in it in order to make it palatable, then they are a terrible person.
(Not you, Colostomy Bag, those other people)

HOWEVER:
Bacon brittle is good
Bacon Apple crisp is good
Bacon, Banana and Peanut Butter smammich is good

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

It's fuckin good.

That looks loving amazing and I "would" the gently caress out of it, and thank god you did it with actual spices instead of the actual metric tons of pre-mixed storebought rub that they took in the recipe up there. That poo poo is giving me a glutamate-seizure through the screen.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hasselblad posted:

Here's the thing. Bacon is at the top of the food pyramid. If one feels they need to wrap food in it in order to make it palatable, then they are a terrible person.
(Not you, Colostomy Bag, those other people)

HOWEVER:
Bacon brittle is good
Bacon Apple crisp is good
Bacon, Banana and Peanut Butter smammich is good

Appreciate the kind words.

Thank you bacon-goon.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Trastion posted:

This looks great. I am going to have to try one of these soon. I am wondering about the bolded part above though. If you mixed it in with raw sausage how are you doing "to taste"? I hope you are not tasting raw sausage and bacon.

No, not literal taste in this case, lol. But you know, enough of your favourite sauces/spices to get the desired taste.

Dead Of Winter posted:

Dear god, the meat for that cost me like 6 dollars, how the hell were people spending 100+ on these??

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

You can (and should) season the sausage, then fry up a small sample of sausage to taste. Takes only a minute or two.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Dear god, the meat for that cost me like 6 dollars, how the hell were people spending 100+ on these??

Well, that figure was mostly conjecture on my part, but yours looks like something a reasonably sized group of people could feasibly eat, not some proto-Epic Meal Time abomination.

I mean, things like ground beef, sausage, and bacon can't be cheap if you're deliberately smooshing pounds upon pounds of them into an oblong for the sake of Internet comedy.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
DCs first snow of the year, government is a mess, so I figured I would try another brisket.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Mercury Ballistic posted:

DCs first snow of the year, government is a mess, so I figured I would try another brisket.

You are a good person.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Just pulled the trigger on a PartyQ controller. Ebates (cashback referral site) has a thing on this weekend for 8% back on all Amazon orders. I was on the fence and that was enough to push me over.

I went with the PartyQ since I usually do one or two 'away' smokes a year, and the portability will be nice.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Meat was at 202f at about 2 pm. Eating it now.

F
Nov 6, 2005

Noice!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Meat was at 202f at about 2 pm. Eating it now.

That there is one crisp as gently caress smoke ring, drat.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I think that demarcation may have something to do with moving the meat from the smoker to my oven and wrapping it in butcher paper when it hit the stall.
It probably should have cooked a bit longer, and I went by temp vs the poke test which was a mistake, but eh, this was my second brisket and it was still good.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That smoke ring is the color of pastrami, looks super appealing. Nice job!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I made ribs with my new mes30 and it was pretty good.

Now I need a cover for the thing with the cold smoker attached to it? Any suggestions?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

TheReverend posted:

Now I need a cover for the thing with the cold smoker attached to it? Any suggestions?

Return the cold smoker attachment and get a pellet tube, which just goes on the floor of the smoker and produces much more smoke for cheap

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

TheReverend posted:

This is what I use and it's worked fine.
Masterbuilt 30-Inch Electric Smoker Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VZZ1W4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RDEpCb2AAR6PS

Amazon has lots of options.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I use that same cover. Use a bungie to secure it if you live somewhere windy. It fits well but there's nothing holding it down and I lost one to wind.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Alright I'm gonna try a brisket tomorrow for MLK day so let me know if this sounds stupid and what I need to do to fix it.

First thing: I hosed up probably and got a 4 lb flat brisket. It's a little on the thinner side too IMO. Oh well.

- Inject with beef broth. Apply dry rub

- Smoke with hickory at 215 F till thing reaches ~160 F.

- Wrap in foil with a little beer or apple juice until it reaches 200 F

- Wait half an hour (still wrapped in foil)

- Eat?

Does that sound about right ?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I've had good experiences (which I'm happy for the thread to dissuade me of if necessary) doing thin/lean brisket flats hot and fast. Smoking at 275F-300F, it's been less dry for me by the time it got to 195+.

I wouldn't add any liquid when foiling, either, but generally that plan is probably good. Flats are hard, I still haven't perfected the technique either.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

I've had good experiences (which I'm happy for the thread to dissuade me of if necessary) doing thin/lean brisket flats hot and fast. Smoking at 275F-300F, it's been less dry for me by the time it got to 195+.

I wouldn't add any liquid when foiling, either, but generally that plan is probably good. Flats are hard, I still haven't perfected the technique either.

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2013/09/slap-yo-daddy-texas-style-beef-brisket/
I've had good luck following this with various tweaks, including running it a little hotter. I have also had success wrapping in foil and adding beef consomme to the wrap in place of other liquids. For me the real key is cooking it until probe-tender and only using the final temp as a guide. Also letting it rest. I tend to wrap it with liquid if I am unable to spray while cooking and it turns out great either way.

I'm cooking on a pellet smoker so your experience might be different with different equipment.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
I would omit the liquids when wrapping and let it rest longer than 30 minutes (I would give it at least an hour, two if you can resist temptation and also keep the temp up). Liquid when wrapping tends to give it a steamed texture and sacrifices the bark in favor of a quicker cook. You'll power past the stall when wrapping even without the liquid.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah I want a good crust I'll avoid the liquid in the foil.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Also, go by the poke test, not the temp.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Posting to say that wrapping baby back ribs in foil is a loving pain in my rear end. I’ve got 3 racks on the smoker right now doing 2-1-1 and each rack took me 2 attempts to wrap because no matter how gently or loosely I folded, holes kept forming in the bottoms causing juices to leak and spill everywhere so I had to rewrap them from scratch and it was annoying as gently caress and took loving forever.

Wrapping ribs should not be hard. I know that. The liquid in the foil is supposed to help the meat cook though, so I couldn’t afford to have those holes.

What the gently caress am I doing wrong?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

I. M. Gei posted:

Posting to say that wrapping baby back ribs in foil is a loving pain in my rear end. I’ve got 3 racks on the smoker right now doing 2-1-1 and each rack took me 2 attempts to wrap because no matter how gently or loosely I folded, holes kept forming in the bottoms causing juices to leak and spill everywhere so I had to rewrap them from scratch and it was annoying as gently caress and took loving forever.

Wrapping ribs should not be hard. I know that. The liquid in the foil is supposed to help the meat cook though, so I couldn’t afford to have those holes.

What the gently caress am I doing wrong?

Pushing too hard? Using foil that’s too thin? Use heavy duty foil and apply two layers of it. Should be fine.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCCQ9K4/

This stuff isn't magic, but it's a nice alternative to foil. It's almost impossible to accidentally poke a hole in, and it lets the moisture escape (reducing the "boiled" texture and saving more of the bark) while still doing the good of a normal wrap.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCCQ9K4/

This stuff isn't magic, but it's a nice alternative to foil. It's almost impossible to accidentally poke a hole in, and it lets the moisture escape (reducing the "boiled" texture and saving more of the bark) while still doing the good of a normal wrap.

Been using this as well and I highly recommend it.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Use heavy duty, and use 18" foil. I once tried wrapping ribs with 12" and it was not a good experience. :(

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

arisu posted:

Use heavy duty, and use 18" foil. I once tried wrapping ribs with 12" and it was not a good experience. :(

This. I'll use cheap dollar store stuff for most things in the kitchen (i.e. lining pans), but for anything BBQ related i use the heavy duty, name brand, 18" wide stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wouldn’t worry too much about the liquid leaking out from the holes. It’s already out of the meat, so it’s not going to help the final product and as long as we’re not talking about multiple fist-sized holes I wouldn’t expect it to affect the effectiveness of the crutch. (I don’t crutch very often, but I do wrap with kraft paper or whatever for keeping stuff warm; unwaxed butcher paper basically. I’ve never had anything poke through that I can recall.)