Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Whalley posted:

Tom Paris should have been obsessed with Kirk-era Starfleet, not 20th century poo poo.

Yeah, and that reminds me, out of the first 10 minutes of that episode I didn't watch all the way through, it seemed like a cheap excuse for exposition in the requisite "time-travel back to the year the series is being made". He also said to fit in the rich SoCal place where they were going they'd need "fast cars and a lot of money", and it just put a nail in the coffin of my will to finish the rest. There are plenty of other places in 1990s America that are terrible in plenty of other ways.

Mainly, it's terrible that his only characteristics are being knockoff Kirk (and frequently compared to Kirk by writers themselves in the anecdotes on Memory Alpha). He's an admiral's son, and they already had room to explore some of the questions that could arise from that --- "Is my success because of nepotism? Do others think that, and is that important? Am I ever going to grow past his shadow?" with Wesley. Mostly, though, he also carries an air of self-important arrogance, and that doesn't help to temper my tendencies toward resentment of people with relative privilege like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Voyager well enough but it definitely seems like one of those "Give the fans EXACTLY what they want for better or worse" situations (based on Piller's book about writing Insurrection where he said Voyager was a conscious reaction to criticisms of DS9).

Yeah, Voyager desperately wanted to recapture the magic of TNG and tried very hard to do so, often to the show's own detriment.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"deep space 9 is too good. please make a star trek that is less good."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I like Voyager mainly in a 90's camp value kind of way.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If you approach Voyager as if you would say, Frasier, where the “premise” is only window dressing, it’s pretty okay.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Voyager is definitely as close as Star Trek ever came to producing a sitcom

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

We Got You Fam

Like, forevermore

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Pick posted:

computer create a star track capable of defeating the franchise

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

♪~Kolvoord Starburst,~♫
♫~Joined the Maquis,~♪
♪~Everyone aboard loves Tom Paris!~♫

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

INT. BRIDGE

TOM PARIS enters.

JANEWAY
Mr. Paris, take your station. The Kazon have appeared.

PARIS
That's hip, mama!

Pause while audience cheers the catchphrase. CHAKOTAY shakes his head while smiling.

CHAKOTAY
Tom, this situation is a bit more serious than that. They're partnered with the Vidiians, and are using Borg technology.

KIM
Wh-wh-wh-whaaaaat?!

Pause for laughter.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Zurui posted:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pick posted:

Rick Berman, 1995

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rick Berman, 1995

“Can we stop these actors from doing that weird acting thing? It’s too distracting.”

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zurui posted:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
A Very Special Episode where Ensign Kim tries to build a weed drive for the ship, but he fucks up and now there's some kind of sentient weed smoke cloud trapping Voyager. Just say no, kids.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

spincube posted:

A Very Special Episode where Ensign Kim tries to build a weed drive for the ship, but he fucks up and now there's some kind of sentient weed smoke cloud trapping Voyager. Just say no, kids.

So basically Macrocosm and The Cloud. Voyager has already gotchu (weed via implication of Garrett Wang being high as gently caress all the time)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spincube posted:

Aside from Kim, this is literally the plot of Discovery

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
yeah but the last shot is of Harry flicking a blunt out of the Delta Flyer's window, and a borg arm picks it up and its face-laser-thing turns green

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

Odo definitely gets forgiven for being a privacy-invading shithead wayyyy too easily over the course of the show. IMHO he's pretty grey in S1.

There's that one early episode where he says "you want real security? give me [list of demands]" and Kira says "uhhhhh you just described Terok Nor."

Whalley posted:

This is one thing that stargate ruled with like "poo poo these guys have crazy armor but uhhhhh we got like... A Gun?"

I've been watching SG-1 and it seems like it's been more inconsistent about the efficacy of the goauld armor early on. Some episodes it's like an FPS where the main character has to unload half a magazine into a jaffa as rounds seemingly harmlessly bounce off before their hit points run out and they fall over. Then in other episodes it's just a couple hits and they're dead.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Voyager was incredibly late-90s, right down to the random "well of course bio-technology is better!" bits and the episode where the ship encounters the super-consultants.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There's that one early episode where he says "you want real security? give me [list of demands]" and Kira says "uhhhhh you just described Terok Nor."

Yeah that's the one I was sorta thinking of! But then idk people just fall into their camps.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

spincube posted:

♪~Kolvoord Starburst,~♫
♫~Joined the Maquis,~♪
♪~Everyone aboard loves Tom Paris!~♫

ADMIRAL PARIS: (grumpy) Not me!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Voyager was incredibly late-90s, right down to the random "well of course bio-technology is better!" bits and the episode where the ship encounters the super-consultants.

I think biotechnology is legit an interesting idea Trek's never done much with, but Species 8472 was pure CGI meaning they couldn't show up much.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
There were also the bio-neural gel packs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Did the gel packs actually do anything? I can’t think of a single episode where they were more than tangentially relevant. Neelix hosed them up with his cooking that one time, but I can’t recall an instance where they contributed any benefit the ship would otherwise have lacked.

As in so many other ways, Farscape beats the poo poo out of Voyager on the biotech front.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

skasion posted:

Did the gel packs actually do anything? I can’t think of a single episode where they were more than tangentially relevant. Neelix hosed them up with his cooking that one time, but I can’t recall an instance where they contributed any benefit the ship would otherwise have lacked.

As in so many other ways, Farscape beats the poo poo out of Voyager on the biotech front.

I remember them being ridiculously important during the time police bullshit but for the life of me I can't bring that section into focus

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

skasion posted:

"Get the cheese to sickbay!"

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

skasion posted:

Did the gel packs actually do anything?

Put 'em in the freezer for a bit and they make for a decent cold compress.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Somehow they were more efficient? I think?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Somehow they were more efficient? I think?

I think they replaced the EPS conduits or something? Just some Treknobabble Piller Filler bullshit to make the Intrepid-class seem super-advanced.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It will never cease to amaze me that someone wrote an episode where the gel packs get an infection or whatever it was. Just...why.

And no, they never really proved that those things were better than on any other Starfleet ship.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

I think they replaced the EPS conduits or something? Just some Treknobabble Piller Filler bullshit to make the Intrepid-class seem super-advanced.

Nah they were supposed to be a replacement for the isolinear chips I think, supposedly they made the computers faster.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It will never cease to amaze me that someone wrote an episode where the gel packs get an infection or whatever it was. Just...why.

And no, they never really proved that those things were better than on any other Starfleet ship.

My impression of the gel-packs ("this is the latest stuff!" treknobabble aside) was that they were another thing that was supposed to be irreplaceable and cause problems for a ship that was cut off from its support infrastructure. I'm pretty sure isolinear chips were explicitly stated to be something you could get out of a replicator, but not gel packs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Now I want to see Engineer Shimoda drunkenly stack the bio-neural gel packs

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now I want to see Engineer Shimoda drunkenly stack the bio-neural gel packs

One of the stacked gel packs falls and hits B'elanna in the spine, crippling her and forcing her to commit ritual suicide.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

WampaLord posted:

One of the stacked gel packs falls and hits B'elanna in the spine, crippling her and forcing her to commit ritual suicide.
Fine with me

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m actually rewatching Voyager (lol) and I forgot the first season did a semi-decent job of making Janeway seem like she barely has any control over the crew and people are actively calling her an idiot. Shame that all sorta gets washed away, just like every other interesting thing about this show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HD DAD posted:

I’m actually rewatching Voyager (lol) and I forgot the first season did a semi-decent job of making Janeway seem like she barely has any control over the crew and people are actively calling her an idiot. Shame that all sorta gets washed away, just like every other interesting thing about this show.
The show goes what, 3 episodes past the pilot before the Starfleet/Maquis tension disappears? I will never understand that beyond the producer mandate that people had to be able to watch any random VOY episode without knowing context

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

WampaLord posted:

I thought a main objection was Voyager rehashing TNG. Come on.

The B'elanna version has her cobbling together her own spinal bypass and augmetic frame so she can angrily shamble around for the rest of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I thought a main objection was Voyager rehashing TNG. Come on.

:thejoke:

quote:

The B'elanna version has her cobbling together her own spinal bypass and augmetic frame so she can angrily shamble around for the rest of the series.

This is probably what would happen, but add in some Janeway yelling at her for spice.