Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

seems to mostly be people nursing decades old grudges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

I work in a MIC-adjacent field with lots of "Cards Against Humanity" type people who recommend me The War Nerd.

I've not listened to The War Nerd, but I know I dislike The War Nerd, because the guys who read Jane's in the college library were cretins or fascists (I was the exception of course), and in my work too, you can't talk about acquisition politics or ethics without a platoon of shitheels trying to give you a presentation on DEFENSE, or "Drones: I've heard about those on the news."

So, to learn that The War Nerd is a 64 year old man who wrote an article about demography for Taki's Mag is a genuine thrill- an absolute delight.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dilkington posted:

I work in a MIC-adjacent field with lots of "Cards Against Humanity" type people who recommend me The War Nerd.

I've not listened to The War Nerd, but I know I dislike The War Nerd, because the guys who read Jane's in the college library were cretins or fascists (I was the exception of course), and in my work too, you can't talk about acquisition politics or ethics without a platoon of shitheels trying to give you a presentation on DEFENSE, or "Drones: I've heard about those on the news."

So, to learn that The War Nerd is a 64 year old man who wrote an article about demography for Taki's Mag is a genuine thrill- an absolute delight.

It's great that eXiled slipped in an article about "4th generation warfare" which a lot of CHUDs are obsessed with, where he makes fun of their obsession with being replaced.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Yossarian-22 posted:

That settles it! I'm cohabitating the animals and if my bunnies die I'm posting pics here to prove it! Adios!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

isnt the entire joke of gary brecher that he's exactly the kind of character you'd expect him to be

e: like i do actually know That Guy and dolan specifically made fun of an article he wrote arguing we should arm the georgians against russian incursions

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 03:58 on Jan 22, 2019

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's great that eXiled slipped in an article about "4th generation warfare" which a lot of CHUDs are obsessed with, where he makes fun of their obsession with being replaced.
Yeah, reading that article both Spencer and the Medium article are dumb as bricks.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

isnt the entire joke of gary brecher that he's exactly the kind of character you'd expect him to be

e: like i do actually know That Guy and dolan specifically made fun of an article he wrote arguing we should arm the georgians against russian incursions

Someone being like you'd expect them to be means you were right about them. Like, Gavin McInnes backing away from his preppy gang of racists because his rich neighbors were rude to him- that's because he was a coward, it's not an Andy Kaufman type "joke."

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

Look: Steven Sailor wrote another article in Taki Mag about the rape of europa- exactly the kind of character you'd expect him to be. Invite him on The War Nerd.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dilkington posted:

Someone being like you'd expect them to be means you were right about them. Like, Gavin McInnes backing away from his preppy gang of racists because his rich neighbors were rude to him- that's because he was a coward, it's not an Andy Kaufman type "joke."

Gary Brecher isn't a real person. It's explicit satire. John Dolan is a leftist.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If you don't like the editorial voice of "Gary Brecher," the Radio War Nerd podcast doesn't use it at all. You should listen to the Sci Fi & Fascism episode if you want to get a sense of their genuine politics.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
A jarring moment for me was hearing mild-mannered John Dolan for the first time after going through the Brecher archives. The man wouldn't hurt a fly. He locked himself in a toilet with the key and thought he was about to die.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Gary Brecher isn't a real person. It's explicit satire. John Dolan is a leftist.

I don't believe someone wrote this: https://www.takimag.com/article/war_of_the_babies/ and got it published in Taki's Mag as a fun satire. Unless you believe Taki Mag's remit- Counter-Currents in evening wear- to also be satirical.

I do believe that if you were a struggling writer/academic, always on the periphery of successful media, in a time when it was changing the most it had done since Johannes Gutenberg, I think you might pretend it was satire to keep a certain audience onside.

And to someone cynical that might seem like "selling-out," and reactionary regardless of intent, and that in better times that person would be put against a wall.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shut up liberal

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

I change my mind: I promise I will listen to The War Nerd when the combined ages of the exile guys reaches 200 years. Taibbi, Ames, Dolan: two centuries. I've got to assume it will be soon.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

It's real good though. We are not hurt by you not listening, only you are hurt.

Edit: In other news I picked up The Dying Earth on Sunday and I'm gonna start reading it now.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Dilkington posted:

I don't believe someone wrote this: https://www.takimag.com/article/war_of_the_babies/ and got it published in Taki's Mag as a fun satire. Unless you believe Taki Mag's remit- Counter-Currents in evening wear- to also be satirical.

I do believe that if you were a struggling writer/academic, always on the periphery of successful media, in a time when it was changing the most it had done since Johannes Gutenberg, I think you might pretend it was satire to keep a certain audience onside.

And to someone cynical that might seem like "selling-out," and reactionary regardless of intent, and that in better times that person would be put against a wall.
I can’t speak concretely to Dolan’s motive, but he is obviously mocking anti-immigration advocates in this article by arguing that it’s actually in their interests to allow more immigrants into the fold because the better off they are the lower their birth rates, and because some typically become anti-immigration advocates themselves within a couple generations.

One of his things as Brecher was being a right-wing guy baffled at why other right-wingers were being so stupid.

snoremac has issued a correction as of 05:47 on Jan 22, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dilkington posted:

As people who have been following the eXiled crew for over a decade: we know you're wrong. I know why you're skeptical, but you're just wrong. It's sensible to think that a reader of Taki's Mag wouldn't interpret it as satire, because they don't get that they're the butt of the joke. It's like objectivists who don't get that Harrison Bergeron is satire. It's obvious to everyone but them, because it's what they unironically believe no matter how ridiculously the subject is portrayed.

You don't have to be convinced of this, or read War Nerd articles or listen to the podcast. You're just wrong, plain & simple.

A Russian troll farm posted:

Edit: In other news I picked up The Dying Earth on Sunday and I'm gonna start reading it now.

I thought their recommendation to read Cugel first isn't really necessary. The short stories in the first part of the book are a decent enough introduction to the setting itself, and it'll give you a feel for the logic and conditions of the world in Cugel.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
read the dying earth, in a collection with cudgel, for the first tinned just a few months ago. was shocked to find out how old it was, it seemed tremendously current.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dilkington posted:

I change my mind: I promise I will listen to The War Nerd when the combined ages of the exile guys reaches 200 years. Taibbi, Ames, Dolan: two centuries. I've got to assume it will be soon.

ok cool, gently caress off

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you don't like the editorial voice of "Gary Brecher," the Radio War Nerd podcast doesn't use it at all. You should listen to the Sci Fi & Fascism episode if you want to get a sense of their genuine politics.

thanks for explaining this a lil; i'm still new to the podcast (i read some exile right near the beginning of my internet awakening but i was too dumb to understand satire when i was 17) and having ames introduce dolan as brecher each ep is confusing for someone not totally familiar with the last, yikes, quarter-century

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Dilkington posted:

You're the guy sharing a Kelly cartoon as actual evidence for the liberal war on Christmas.

:yeshaha:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

John Dolan is a leftist.

Also a lapsed catholic, a failed meth cook, an ex republican(the Irish kind), an apostate right winger and a disillusioned poet.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

suck my woke dick posted:

You're the guy sharing a Kelly cartoon as actual evidence for the liberal war on Christmas.

:yeshaha:

See, I know this is satire: you had A Modest Proposal or The Great Dictator available to you but you went with The Onion reference, and that is exactly the kind of character you'd expect a War Nerd listener to be.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dilkington posted:

See, I know this is satire: you had A Modest Proposal or The Great Dictator available to you but you went with The Onion reference, and that is exactly the kind of character you'd expect a War Nerd listener to be.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lol i missed this from the exile hit piece

Spencer’s comments may not be not far off. A few years before CTH started, soon-to-be host Virgil Texas brought the alt-right “comedy group,” Million Dollar Extreme, to perform at one of his events, indicating the proximity between their style, if not politics.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Dilkington posted:

you have no idea what you’re talking about

THS
Sep 15, 2017

also pener, that’s a great example with the Harrison Bergeron reference. i realized my dad was a moron when i reread that in college. he’s a dyed in the wool ayn rand objectivist (and now just a straight up racist republican as he gets older, funny how that goes) and always cited Harrison Bergeron as one of his favorites

the man read pretty much everything Kurt Vonnegut ever wrote and managed to not get the point of any of it. which convinces me that he’d make a great Kurt Vonnegut character

but yeah i’m astounded by people familiar with both the gary brecher character and who john dolan is, yet can’t understand what he’s doing

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

We read Harrison Bergeron multiple times in my middle and high schools and were taught to treat it 100% seriously. Each time we asked the teacher if it was satire because it seemed so over-the-top and the teacher replied "No, this is meant to be an accurate depiction of what some say America is becoming." And these were above-average public schools

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

Thinking about what I posted I’m actually sorry- I genuinely have no reason to dislike the The War Nerd podcast. I have been half joking and half making fun of bitter people like me: I’ve seen so many of my peers crash out of the publishing industry, journalism, academia- the trajectory of Dolan’s life is very real to me. I agree we should all be a little more relaxed about questions of propriety and satire, like, relaxed enough to take money from a white-supremacist magazine. The man is elderly and must feel the cold terribly- just trying to keep the heat on I imagine.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

tbf John Dolan is constantly dying

https://twitter.com/TheWarNerd/status/1087135023533301764

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

THS posted:

also pener, that’s a great example with the Harrison Bergeron reference. i realized my dad was a moron when i reread that in college. he’s a dyed in the wool ayn rand objectivist (and now just a straight up racist republican as he gets older, funny how that goes) and always cited Harrison Bergeron as one of his favorites

the man read pretty much everything Kurt Vonnegut ever wrote and managed to not get the point of any of it. which convinces me that he’d make a great Kurt Vonnegut character

but yeah i’m astounded by people familiar with both the gary brecher character and who john dolan is, yet can’t understand what he’s doing

"So, it's the 90s, everyone is making piles of cash fluffing this whole Russian debacle and licking plutocrats like they were made of sugar. Not to mention hyping the american hyperpower as the coolest, smartest thing ever. So the ticket to being rich'n'famous and make conservatives love me is to mock BOTH of those truisms -hard-! That's the ticket!"

The liberal urge to always exact 2000% of vengeance over imagined slights on anyone without any shred of power or influence, while fellating those that sell them down the river every time, is something to behold.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dilkington posted:

Thinking about what I posted I’m actually sorry- I genuinely have no reason to dislike the The War Nerd podcast. I have been half joking and half making fun of bitter people like me: I’ve seen so many of my peers crash out of the publishing industry, journalism, academia- the trajectory of Dolan’s life is very real to me. I agree we should all be a little more relaxed about questions of propriety and satire, like, relaxed enough to take money from a white-supremacist magazine. The man is elderly and must feel the cold terribly- just trying to keep the heat on I imagine.

He and his wife almost died in Canada because nobody would hire him.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

dilkington getting very mad about the war nerd in the war nerd thread

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Are you really going to drag my shitposting into this when you've unironically justified reeducation camps for Muslims in Xinjiang?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gentlemen you can't fight in here! This is the war nerd thread!

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

R. Guyovich posted:

strongly considering issuing a resolution recognizing c-spam as the legitimate politics forum on sa

Rivalry with Guyovich ended. Now he is my best friend

Betraying my leftcom tendencies and forming a popular front to own the libs at D&D

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

Rivalry with Guyovich ended. Now he is my best friend

Betraying my leftcom tendencies and forming a popular front to own the libs at D&D

brb forming the people's front of CSPAM, death to the CSPAM popular front

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The CSPAM Movement to Action (anti-Lin Biao Group) stands opposed to the capitalist roaders that will betray the revolution ITT.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Splitters! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Goddamn bugs whacked us, Johnny