Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Halloween Jack posted:

Yet I somehow hold the mysterious and forbidden knowledge that many black people live in rural areas

but... not in west virginia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
WV, the only state with coal in it

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

plenty of examples itt of people who voted for trump based less on overtly hostile racism and more on willing obliviousness, like our friend here who assumed trump would respect native americans. my point is, clinton knew she wasn't winning the turbochud vote, she (erroneously) based her campaign on winning the undecided dumbass vote. and undecided dumbasses love centrism and are put off by the politicians accusing their opponent's base of racism. unfortunately this was a terrible move for clinton, b/c those people are very stupid, and when it comes to fooling stupid people, "you can't stump the trump", as they say

clinton lost the midwest not because of the racist vote, but because she thought that everyone was a buncha uneducated bumpkins she could pull a fast one on

they've been workshopping the "we'll have job training programs for you when the factories shut down, honest!" for 20 years now. everyone around here knows the dems are full of poo poo and don't stand for anything

edit: as we speak, we're having 2020 hopefuls start stumbling out of their test tubes and so far, their policy positions are exclusively 180's of stances they had pre-2016, watered down versions of what bernie wants, or republican ideas

Business Gorillas has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Jan 22, 2019

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

but... not in west virginia

West Virginia voted for god damned Hubert Humphrey and Carter and Michael Dukakis. they weren’t part of the Dixiecrat block.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Halloween Jack posted:

WV, the only state with coal in it

WV was your example bro, but honestly there's not a huge overlap between coal towns and black population in the US

rural black communities are much more likely to be concentrated in the old south, frequently in places that used to grow a lot of cotton.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

West Virginia voted for god damned Hubert Humphrey and Carter and Michael Dukakis. they weren’t part of the Dixiecrat block.

no poo poo. i was responding to the notion that west virginia has black coal miner population. it doesn't.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

no poo poo. i was responding to the notion that west virginia has black coal miner population. it doesn't.

yea, my bad. I glossed over the conversation and thought this was one of those “WV didn’t turn red because Dems abandoned labor, it’s cause they’re all hopelessly racist” derails.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he also told them to reach out to millennials and they were all LOL NO

i would have taken "lol no" over the alternative that gave us nae nae-ing on ellen, chilling... in cedar rapids, and acapella among other things

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Plank Walker posted:

i would have taken "lol no" over the alternative that gave us nae nae-ing on ellen, chilling... in cedar rapids, and acapella among other things

That wasn't reaching out to millenials.

That was a 50 year old marketer's idea of what millenials want. Not jobs, housing, healthcare or debt relief: you kids like Ellen right? And the new dance moves?

Come to think of it, same people behind the effort to astroturf Beto. Real solutions to real problems? Nah you 30-somethings are just a bunch of kids, here look hamburgers and skateboarding! So cool!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I don't know anyone my age who watches Ellen and I'm loving 40.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

yea, my bad. I glossed over the conversation and thought this was one of those “WV didn’t turn red because Dems abandoned labor, it’s cause they’re all hopelessly racist” derails.

no worries, the whole argument is kind of a weird derail that doesn't really seem to have much of a point as far as i can tell. i just thought it was bizarre to claim there was a significant black coal miner population.

i don't really know poo poo about modern WV politics but it's sure not a dixiecrat state, considering they broke away from VA in order to avoid seceding from the union. but coal is by far the worst fuel on the planet, needs to die ASAP, and is already well on its way out regardless, so i don't know what a politician is supposed to honestly tell WV voters at this point in time, especially if you have an opponent willing to lie through his teeth about bringing back coal and making everything great like the good old days. i don't think supporting strong unions is going to cut it for coal miners unless you're also going to have big coal subsidies to prop up a dying industry, and as much as i feel for decent non-chud coal miners, that's an insane policy proposal environmentally speaking.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

*whispers* "Green New Deal"

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Of course not, but nowhere in the nation is whiter or more resentful of elites or more susceptable to the social culture war and smear campaigns the Republicans have been waging against minorities and immigrants and gays since Reagan pulled in the evangelical vote and murdered the labor movement. Trump beat Abuela by over 40 points in WV - There was nothing she possibly could have done that would have won there.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

VitalSigns posted:

*whispers* "Green New Deal"

yea but what's the specific sell to WV coal people that convinces them, keeping in mind that promises of "job retraining programs" and the like are written off as bullshit?

i'd like to think they'd be more receptive to non-coal policies after getting rolled by trump but i can't blame ppl in a coal town for favoring pro-coal policies over promises of something entirely new

anyway, some additional thread content from a chud safari:

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1087386630288297986

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

no worries, the whole argument is kind of a weird derail that doesn't really seem to have much of a point as far as i can tell. i just thought it was bizarre to claim there was a significant black coal miner population.

maybe that poster had only seen pictures of coal miners at the end of their shifts?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1087390208469929990

Oh, look someone wrote an email about what they wanted for lunch on their personal server. THATS IT IM VOT9NG TRUP,

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

yea but what's the specific sell to WV coal people that convinces them, keeping in mind that promises of "job retraining programs" and the like are written off as bullshit?

i'd like to think they'd be more receptive to non-coal policies after getting rolled by trump but i can't blame ppl in a coal town for favoring pro-coal policies over promises of something entirely new

anyway, some additional thread content from a chud safari:

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1087386630288297986

People in WV sense (rightly) that the Dems don't give a single gently caress about them, so why change?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

JFairfax posted:

maybe that poster had only seen pictures of coal miners at the end of their shifts?

it's called BLACK lung, not WHITE lung :smugdog:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Job retraining programs" are written off as bullshit because they are. Go spend a year learning how to code without pay, so you can graduate and not have a job because there aren't any coding jobs in your hometown.

That's why you go to them with a job guarantee: "we are going to build this factory right here in your town and hire all of you to work in it just like the good old days", you know like the New Deal did.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/mainehotwater/status/1087491616942813186

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The last sentence isn't sarcasm.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol her husband who won the presidency twice was all "maybe run on good economic policy for poors" and everyone told him to shut up

Imagine being married to Bill Clinton, a man who, (good or bad), is the Kobe Bryant of politics.

And he gives you advice, and you don't listen to him because you hate him.

And then you lose an election to the stupidest man in America because you are a) supremely unlikable and b) didn't listen to your philandering husband.

Who will now make passive aggressive comments for the rest of your haggard life because you suck at politics.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

ElGroucho posted:

Who will now make passive aggressive comments for the rest of your haggard life because you suck at politics.

You think he has the guts to do that?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I for one look forward to being called a sexist pig for not wanting to vote for Kamala or Clinton (again).

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

The last sentence isn't sarcasm.

I went to check this guy's twitter and he's still unapologetic about his vote. He can get hosed.

Something along the lines of "Judge people by their actions not what they say." How about you judge him by both motherfucker? The poo poo he said (and is still saying) was reprehensible and the thousand loving lawsuits he had represents his actions. Anyone with an ounce of sense knew wtf DT is about.

I think i'm a bad person because I actually hope that he starves. Like, has to swallow his loving pride and goes to a soup kitchen kind of starve.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Avirosb posted:

You think he has the guts to do that?

This is a man who said, "Define 'sex' " to an investigative panel

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

VitalSigns posted:

"Job retraining programs" are written off as bullshit because they are. Go spend a year learning how to code without pay, so you can graduate and not have a job because there aren't any coding jobs in your hometown.

That's why you go to them with a job guarantee: "we are going to build this factory right here in your town and hire all of you to work in it just like the good old days", you know like the New Deal did.

just say "all right coal miners/plant workers you’ve wrecked your bodies to extract/shovel coal, you’ve worked enough, harder than anyone, now enjoy retirement starting at 35 when your mine/plant closes."

then do it for all dying industries

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Flowers For Algeria posted:

just say "all right coal miners/plant workers you’ve wrecked your bodies to extract/shovel coal, you’ve worked enough, harder than anyone, now enjoy retirement starting at 35 when your mine/plant closes."

Some people are very stupid, and want to work in the coal mines just like pappy and grand pappy before them.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Iron Crowned posted:

Some people are very stupid, and want to work in the coal mines just like pappy and grand pappy before them.

See this in many industry. In Quebec there's this small village fought tooth and nail to keep their asbestos mine open. http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180529-the-town-fighting-its-killer-reputation

*edit: There's even a brewery which makes a beer using the water which accumulates at the bottom of the mine.

Dalael has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Jan 22, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

hahaha yesss screwed by the ultimate scummy small business owner

SBOs screwin SBOs

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Iron Crowned posted:

There was a great town hall with Bernie early after the election that had a guy in his mid to late 20s worrying that all he wanted to do since he was born was to drop out of High School and do what his father did, be a coal miner. But after 7 years the mine is shutting down and he might not be able to pay for his 50 year fathers black lung treatments after the dad got turned down for free treatment because he smoked his entire life.

it was just so many bad family decisions, you can't fix these people who willing choose death

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Give jobs building/maintaining simulated safe coal mines to the non-diehards, and let the diehards use them . The perfect ecosystem, bing bong, so simple.

Serf
May 5, 2011

we should keep the coal mines open so these folks can have jobs and just not use the coal. they don't want welfare, so we'll just tell them its being burned

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Some people say a man is made out of mud, the poor mans made out of muscle and blood, muscle and blood and skin and bones a mind thats weak and a back thats strong...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Blister posted:

There was a great town hall with Bernie early after the election that had a guy in his mid to late 20s worrying that all he wanted to do since he was born was to drop out of High School and do what his father did, be a coal miner. But after 7 years the mine is shutting down and he might not be able to pay for his 50 year fathers black lung treatments after the dad got turned down for free treatment because he smoked his entire life.

it was just so many bad family decisions, you can't fix these people who willing choose death

It's not like the coal industry is going away. Instead of sending people inside a mountain to get it, they just blow the top off of a mountain and collect it that way. It's safer, and uses less manpower (although it's very environmentally detrimental).

It's all glorified fairy tales, that they're holding onto anyway. Coal companies have always been evil as gently caress.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

It's not like the coal industry is going away. Instead of sending people inside a mountain to get it, they just blow the top off of a mountain and collect it that way. It's safer, and uses less manpower (although it's very environmentally detrimental).

It's all glorified fairy tales, that they're holding onto anyway. Coal companies have always been evil as gently caress.

You load sixteen tons, what do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go I owe my soul to the company store

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's a long history of working-class resistance (or at least resentment) to dirty, dangerous, crippling jobs. People only became nostalgic for these jobs when they started losing them and not having anything better to replace them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

there's gonna be a lot more like this soon btw because anybody who gets a paycheck instead of capital gains got a huge increase in their tax burden that was disguised by big withholding changes obfuscated by the IRS just not releasing any guidelines for HR departments

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Give everyone in West Virginia an Oculus Rift and a copy of Coal Mining Simulator.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
West Virginia makes Afghanistan look like pastoral France

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Blackchamber posted:

You load sixteen tons, what do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go I owe my soul to the company store

lol remember when GE used this song in a commercial for their coal mines