Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean outside Broly they haven’t brought much old poo poo back and Broly was always unique in how popular he was. There ain’t no other non canon poo poo that gets even close to him.

I think if anyone comes close its Cooler, and even then Broly is more notorious by a country mile. Maybe Janemba gets third by virtue of being pretty distinct and original?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

The Bee posted:

I think if anyone comes close its Cooler, and even then Broly is more notorious by a country mile. Maybe Janemba gets third by virtue of being pretty distinct and original?

Janemba wasn't distinct nor original, he was basically a Buu rerash, but his animation was gorgeouss that is what made him be something to be remembered, otherwise he is pretty forgotable

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s.....not a great message if you think about it.

Allow me to rephrase: bully assholes only care about their power and don’t take into account the might of others

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing Tapion and Hoi/Hirudegarn come back, but done better. Movie 13 almost works as it is, though that ending is so dumb.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Captain Quack posted:

Janemba wasn't distinct nor original, he was basically a Buu rerash, but his animation was gorgeouss that is what made him be something to be remembered, otherwise he is pretty forgotable

Buu didn't portal spam, explode into legos, or use a blood sword.. His role was absolutely a Buu rehash, but at least his power set is more distinct than, say, Lord Slug. Who is literally just King Piccolo with an amazing jawline. Or Turles, who is just Raditz-Vegeta with Goku hair. And does Android 13 even do anything of note besides a savage dick punch?

The Bee fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 21, 2019

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

The Bee posted:

Buu didn't portal spam, explode into legos, or use a blood sword.. His role was absolutely a Buu rehash, but at least his power set is more distinct than, say, Lord Slug. Who is literally just King Piccolo with an amazing jawline. Or Turles, who is just Raditz-Vegeta with Goku hair. And does Android 13 even do anything of note besides a savage dick punch?

Too me was basically the equivalent of buu stretching/throwing his limbs and exploding into goo/smoke, once again what made Janemba work was the purely the animation (the lego stuff etc)...
But yeah I give you the sword...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

The Bee posted:

Savage ball punch

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

a neat cape posted:

So how does Vegeta learn how to sense power levels

There was this one scene that was probably anime filler when Yamcha is fighting the Saibaman, when Piccolo explains to Gohan how to sense energy, so Gohan can track the fight. Maybe Vegeta could hear what Piccolo was saying and decided to learn along with Gohan.

Vegeta also mentions that he is able to learn how to do it while on Earth, and the Piccolo explanation seems to be the only time there is ever a tutorial he could have used.

Either that or he can just copy techniques after seeing/hearing/experiencing them like Cell/Majin Buu.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

nonrev posted:

There was this one scene that was probably anime filler when Yamcha is fighting the Saibaman, when Piccolo explains to Gohan how to sense energy, so Gohan can track the fight. Maybe Vegeta could hear what Piccolo was saying and decided to learn along with Gohan.

Vegeta also mentions that he is able to learn how to do it while on Earth, and the Piccolo explanation seems to be the only time there is ever a tutorial he could have used.

Either that or he can just copy techniques after seeing/hearing/experiencing them like Cell/Majin Buu.

Copying techniques by observation seems to be a saiyan specialty, and Vegeta in particular is preternaturally skilled at it

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calaveron posted:

Copying techniques by observation seems to be a saiyan specialty, and Vegeta in particular is preternaturally skilled at it

It's basically how Goku created his entire moveset. At least Vegeta combines his copying with some actual creativity (even if all of his moves are ultimately big beams, with the occasional big ball).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's basically how Goku created his entire moveset. At least Vegeta combines his copying with some actual creativity (even if all of his moves are ultimately big beams, with the occasional big ball).

I mean Vegeta achieved divinity just by looking at it and really, really wanting it, entirely skipping what was thought to be a vital, completely necessary step of it

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The anime also paints it that he got Super by really, really wanting it and crying and throwing a fit until he got it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Hell he stole the Destructo Disk in the very arc he premiered in. Vegeta the Prince of all Copyright Infringement

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
He probably could’ve achieved ultra instinct if he wasn’t figuratively about to be shoved into a blender

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mandrel posted:

the not being able to sense ki was always so weird to think about mechanics wise. how can it be possible to harness and control your energy to make energy blasts and fly and all that wild poo poo, as well as fight and anticipate other opponents ki attacks, without apparently being able to sense other’s ki at all? the learning to suppress it makes more sense as a trick not everybody might learn or think to do, but somebody as strong as Frieza or Vegeta in the early days relying on scouters is bizarre

same reason goku couldn't sense energy but figured out the kamehameha in 2 minutes.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Kild posted:

same reason goku couldn't sense energy but figured out the kamehameha in 2 minutes.

To be fair, it doesn't seem very hard. Just do the hand things and say the magic word.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
One of my favorite moments of the Broly movie is Gine telling Bardock that caring his kid is out of character for a Saiyan dad. This is right after 20 minutes of King Vegeta and Paragus obsessing over their sons.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

One of my favorite moments of the Broly movie is Gine telling Bardock that caring his kid is out of character for a Saiyan dad. This is right after 20 minutes of King Vegeta and Paragus obsessing over their sons.

I think she meant loving him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Calaveron posted:

I mean Vegeta achieved divinity just by looking at it and really, really wanting it, entirely skipping what was thought to be a vital, completely necessary step of it

Vegeta trained under Whis to achieve Blue though, it wasn't just out of desire to do it. He still managed to reach that level without the ritual which is amazing when Beerus downright states it would've been impossible for Goku, but what caused that breakthrough was very much Whis' unconventional training.

Flytrap posted:

The anime also paints it that he got Super by really, really wanting it and crying and throwing a fit until he got it.

Vegeta is the Legendary Super Saiyan, a mighty warrior that appears once every thousand years. As the legend states, he got it by...oh, by whining really hard about it like a baby. Not even a big baby, the midget, just a baby. Why do people like Z-Vegeta over Super-Vegeta again?

Professor Wayne posted:

There's a really big difference between both examples. King Vegeta and Paragus only see their children as tools to continue their own glory, as shown by Paragus treating Broly like poo poo afterwards, he never cared about Broly as a person, only as a tool, and Broly getting sent away from the planet was a blow to his ego rather than triggering parental rage. King Vegeta merely wanted a successor that could truly live up to the Saiyan throne and stood out amongst the Saiyans, as shown by the fact that he gets really angry at the idea that someone else could be even greater.

Bardock never cared about Kakarot's power, in fact, he's quick to point out his son's going to live and die as a low-class warrior, much like Bardock himself. He still wanted him to survive and risked betraying Freeza for his son's life.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Honestly the biggest revelation of the movie for me, personally, is finally knowing how the hell to pronounce Gine.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flytrap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcp3tZ3XFyQ

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Flytrap posted:

Honestly the biggest revelation of the movie for me, personally, is finally knowing how the hell to pronounce Gine.

Gine or Gine?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It is nuts how much better the DBS manga got once it moved on to an original story

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Gine or Gine?

Gee-nay.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blockhouse posted:

It is nuts how much better the DBS manga got once it moved on to an original story

Toriyama may be more involved now that he doesn't need to provide a skeleton for two different things and can focus entirely on molding his successor properly. It may also simply be Toyotaro evolving and realizing how Dragon Ball should be, but it's way too much of an improvement, both the panel composition and the characterization are far better than they were merely one arc ago, while the pacing is a lot more even than how brisk the Tournament of Power was.

That said, it's still clearly Toyotaro behind it, some of his usuals still show, like this particular pose:
https://twitter.com/ZankyeGaming/status/1087104658722775040
but even in this character, Vegeta is far closer to Toriyama/Toei's Vegeta than Toyotaro's own, and thank Kami for that.

Hopefully he won't waste this goodwill like he's done before and these improvements are here to stay, because we don't have an anime now. This is our one source of Dragon Ball (beyond SDBH but...that's even worse, and it's one thing that was far better under Toyotaro) so if it can keep up this level of quality, both while we wait for the return of the anime or a movie, and forevermore, then I have no complaints.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

The Bee posted:

and up until now Gogeta as well. and I’d say SSJ4 poo poo is up there with Broly

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Wasn't there something about Toriyama being Toyotaro's editor now? Before he put everything into the anime and just kinda never gave a gently caress about what Toyo was doing, now he might be right there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Flytrap posted:

Gee-nay.

Should’ve been like aubergine

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I really want to see the alternate universe where Frieza doesn't destroy the planet and Barock has to go retrieve Goku like he promised.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Rhonne posted:

I really want to see the alternate universe where Frieza doesn't destroy the planet and Barock has to go retrieve Goku like he promised.

Raditz being followed up by Bardock instead of Vegeta would certainly bea very interesting twist, that's for sure.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The Bee posted:

Raditz being followed up by Bardock instead of Vegeta would certainly bea very interesting twist, that's for sure.

Bardock: "Which one of you killed my son!"
Piccolo: "Well technically I killed both of your sons.'

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
The latest DBM is kinda funny.

http://www.dragonball-multiverse.com/en/page-1539.html

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's probably the only good page I've ever seen in DBM, yeah. I'm surprised the person behind this can actually do some comedy considering how he comes across in other stuff.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Just watched the movie. It was pretty fun, lots of good punchmans stuff. Power creep is a hell of a drug but whatever, I got what I was expecting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Maple Leaf posted:

Just watched the movie. It was pretty fun, lots of good punchmans stuff. Power creep is a hell of a drug but whatever, I got what I was expecting.

Power Creep ironically did not come up in the movie. Everyone is weaker than the last arc's big opponent.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of bad fan stuff I fell down a rabbit hole of bad fan animation stuff on youtube. Now I know what Ultra Instinct Super Saiyan Blue Gogeta looks like.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Bumper Stickup posted:

Speaking of bad fan stuff I fell down a rabbit hole of bad fan animation stuff on youtube. Now I know what Ultra Instinct Super Saiyan Blue Gogeta looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t-LYV2iG4c

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Next day off from work I'm gonna grab a pizza and watch bad fan stuff on youtube all day.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's neat how the existence of the new film makes rof even more worthless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

It's neat how the existence of the new film makes rof even more worthless

What's funny is, if you changed the ending JUST SLIGHTLY so that Freeza doesn't get murked, RoF could have lead directly into this one and ignored all of Super