Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Luckyellow posted:

I like Inslee too. Is anyone here from Washington that could tell us why I shouldn't?

I'm from Washington and he's alright, but his inability to pass a carbon tax not once but twice in what is one of the most left-leaning states in the nation should probably factor into your judgement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm from Washington and couldn't tell you anything about whether you should or shouldn't like Inslee, which kinda tells you what kind of chance he has.

So he doesn't have any baggage or negative issues? That sounds like the perfect candidate!

No, really. I'll might be rooting for him until someone manages to find something lovely in his record that I missed.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pushing for a carbon tax, unless it was exclusively aimed at, like, private jets, seems like a negative to me.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Inslee sounds like he might be a good VP. His executive experience helps balance the ticket, and he can lead the climate change fight.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Carbon tax has bombed as political concept everywhere in North America except the west coast for some reason.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Man this is really bad

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1087514447458062336?s=21

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

This sucks, but "tough on crime" bullshit was a pretty universal problem.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Joe Biden vigorously sucks for much more recent reasons.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

~be the change you want to see~

I was told to not vote for Stalin because he has 69 votes

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pylons posted:

This sucks, but "tough on crime" bullshit was a pretty universal problem.

Few candidates have one of their previous horrible stances encapsulated and on tape that clearly though.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

People should vote for country not party. If he is a better candidate (I know nothing about him) then hopefully people vote for him.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Majorian posted:

Few candidates have one of their previous horrible stances encapsulated and on tape that clearly though.

Bernie's solution for the sentencing disparity between crack cocaine and powder cocaine was to raise the minimums for powder cocaine. I don't think there's a candidate running that was active in politics back during that time and *didn't* have a lovely "tough on crime" stance.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Enigma89 posted:

People should vote for country not party. If he is a better candidate (I know nothing about him) then hopefully people vote for him.

All him being in the race would do is make sure Trump gets reelected.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Enigma89 posted:

If he is a better candidate

he is not

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

theblackw0lf posted:

Inslee sounds like he might be a good VP. His executive experience helps balance the ticket, and he can lead the climate change fight.

Im OK with Inslee as the Climate Change Guy, but he's a garbage VP from an electoral standpoint.

Shoring up the dangerously purple states of...Oregon and Washington?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Enigma89 posted:

Lol oh yeah I’m sure the Starbucks CEO who is fabulously wealthy and running third party to spoil the anti-Trump dipshit centrist vote is a “better candidate” than... anyone.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Unoriginal Name posted:

Im OK with Inslee as the Climate Change Guy, but he's a garbage VP from an electoral standpoint.

The electoral advantage of VPs is overstated anyway, but Inslee shouldn't be VP because he is even more boring and bland than Tim Kaine.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Unoriginal Name posted:

I'm genuinely not sure how much that matters. Balancing out the candidate's perceived weaknesses like Biden covering Obama for experience and skin tone or Pence coving for Trump's religious credentials seems to be way more important than regionalism now: see Tim Kaine.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

Unoriginal Name posted:

When has that been a factor? I doubt that picking a VP from a red state is going to magically make it blue.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm pretty sure that the prevailing thought on VPs is that they don't really do much to help the ticket in any case.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm genuinely not sure how much that matters. Balancing out the candidate's perceived weaknesses like Biden covering Obama for experience and skin tone or Pence coving for Trump's religious credentials seems to be way more important than regionalism now: see Tim Kaine.

I'm telling you guys, Barbara Lee is gonna be Bernie's running mate, and it's gonna own.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I'm telling you guys, Barbara Lee is gonna be Bernie's running mate, and it's gonna own.
It should probably be someone younger, given Bernie's age. If you want to maintain ideological consistency, I'd sooner go with Ro Khanna.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gripweed posted:

I don’t think this is actually likely and also I think it would probably be a net loss. Barbara Lee should be Speaker of the House.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Luckyellow posted:

So he doesn't have any baggage or negative issues? That sounds like the perfect candidate!

No, really. I'll might be rooting for him until someone manages to find something lovely in his record that I missed.

Rather I meant, I have no idea if he has any baggage or negative issues, because hes a non-entity.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

fool_of_sound posted:

yea but this thread is about american elections and not the imminent global stalinist revolution so i'm not sure why you're here

everybody needs a reminder now and then.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Pylons posted:

It should probably be someone younger, given Bernie's age. If you want to maintain ideological consistency, I'd sooner go with Ro Khanna.

I really think he's gonna go with a woman of color

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t think this is actually likely and also I think it would probably be a net loss. Barbara Lee should be Speaker of the House.

fair point

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

VP should be someone who helps address the weaknesses the nominee brings to the actual presidency, not the campaign.

Bernie should bring in someone who is a really effective manager, which is why I lean towards a governor or mayor since that’s more of a managerial role.

vvvvvvv good point

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 22, 2019

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

theblackw0lf posted:

It’s interesting we have no Governors running.

I think being Governor prepares you more for the Presidency than Senator.

What current or former Democratic governor is in a position to run? All of them are either old (Jerry Brown and Mark Dayton), extremely unpopular in their home state (Raimondo and Ige), ideologically out of step with the national party (Hickenlooper and Bullock) or are just entering office (Evers, Murphy, and Whitmar). All you really have is Inslee, who is a virtual non-entity.

The last decade has been devastating to Democrats at the state level. It’s true that governorships are a great stepping stone to the presidency but Democrats are at an almost unprecedented low when it comes to control of governor’s mansions

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 22, 2019

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Where are all the Democratic governors, asks the party that focused exclusively on the presidency for the past decade.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Pushing for a carbon tax, unless it was exclusively aimed at, like, private jets, seems like a negative to me.

Why?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Bernie’s VP needs to be young, and ideally a woman.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I would say Stacey Abrams is a great VP pick for Bernie if she wasn’t running for Senate

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah a Bernie VP needs at least three of young, woman, minority, and already popular with hillary-types.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

QuoProQuid posted:

What current or former Democratic governor is in a position to run? All of them are either old (Jerry Brown and Mark Dayton), extremely unpopular in their home state (Raimondo and Ige), ideologically out of step with the national party (Hickenlooper and Bullock) or are just entering office (Evers, Murphy, and Whitmar). All you really have is Inslee, who is a virtual non-entity.

The last decade has been devastating to Democrats at the state level. It’s true that governorships are a great stepping stone to the presidency but Democrats are at an almost unprecedented low when it comes to control of governor’s mansions

Cuomo will run. He’s been pretending to not be a total shithead a bit too much lately, so he’s got to be up to something.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lumpy posted:

Cuomo will run. He’s been pretending to not be a total shithead a bit too much lately, so he’s got to be up to something.

Cuomo specifically said he wasn't running in pretty strong terms, but I guess that could always change.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm still thinking Nina Turner because everyone would love watching donut twitter completely melt down.

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah a Bernie VP needs at least three of young, woman, minority, and already popular with hillary-types.

The #stillwithher crowd are absolutely going to consider Bernie's VP pick a traitor and probably get amazingly racist about it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The #stillwithher crowd are absolutely going to consider Bernie's VP pick a traitor and probably get amazingly racist about it.

I didn't mean them, I meant more like, older white democrats who aren't super-online #resistance members.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

I didn't mean them, I meant more like, older white democrats who aren't super-online #resistance members.

Luckily, those demographics will tend to vote for whoever the Democratic nominee is. Obviously having a VP pick that appeals to them won't hurt though.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I enjoy that these people are just taken as a necessary part of the landscape and not just some hybrid chud that isn’t destroyed on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Ghost Leviathan posted:

by jan 2020 there will probably be about 5 of them voting in the primaries and maybe 2 of them are still holding out by the ____/bernie or bernie/____ vs trump general