Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

God drat that's some quick thinking to jump back into the cab like that. Is there supposed to be a seat-belt or harness to keep you in there in the event of a fall? That could have ended a lot worse if he continued falling out the way he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

God drat that's some quick thinking to jump back into the cab like that. Is there supposed to be a seat-belt or harness to keep you in there in the event of a fall? That could have ended a lot worse if he continued falling out the way he was.

Almost certainly. Also no one ever uses them.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Coxswain Balls posted:

There is always a seat belt. People dont wear it cause these are slow.

The seatbelts is to keep you inside the roll cage.

Always wear your seatbelt.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm trying to envision what that looks like in a standing forklift like the one in the video. There's a similar one in the supermarket I used to work at, and I don't remember there being any safety stuff other than a dead-man's switch on the floorplate.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I thought he braked too hard, and started getting out before realizing it was tipping over.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm trying to envision what that looks like in a standing forklift like the one in the video. There's a similar one in the supermarket I used to work at, and I don't remember there being any safety stuff other than a dead-man's switch on the floorplate.

The ones at the ULINE warehouses (all in use!) are full-body harnesses you clip into the roof of the forklift.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

The seatbelt is to keep you inside the roll cage.

:stare: that’s the most accurate summary I’ve ever seen of a seatbelt’s intended purpose.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of some random stuff'

Otteration fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 22, 2019

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Coxswain Balls posted:

I don't remember there being any safety stuff other than a dead-man's switch on the floorplate.

Watching the video, that might be what happened.

I can't tell if he steps out of it before or after it stops moving, but if he tried to hop off while it was in motion and the dead-man's switch stopped it suddenly, well, you'd get what you see.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hugh Malone posted:

I thought he braked too hard, and started getting out before realizing it was tipping over.

He was definitely trying to stop it from tipping initially.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

darkwasthenight posted:

Hahahahahaha loving hell. Lad's going for it! 🇬🇧 There's internal video too. He got his 600 quids worth and then some.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157278888726111&id=628356110

I'd be as angry as this guy if I knew everyone filming my rage quit would do so in vertical.

How is it that easy for that to fall over? Shouldn't there be a ton of counter weight in the base to keep it all on the ground? Is that a discount Harbor Freight forklift or something?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

He was going backwards with it raised all the way.

There is assumed weight on those forks so the forklift is weighted in the back to counterbalance.

So

1. Fast
2. Raised center of balance
3. No load.

Regular backing up doesnttil, but that's a combo of bad moves,

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Reign Of Pain posted:

You mean 18 more months....Its an apartment complex. They already tore down the woods that were behind my house and put up a couple of 3 story tan monstrosities with flood lights that shine on the back of my place. It looks like these are the last buildings they had to put in because there isn't any more room....fuckers....of course harvey knocked down the last of the trees that were on my property that would've blocked some of the noise/lights/craopola

Yipes, this is sounding really familiar :( The place behind us used to be a church but it went tits up and got turned into this new apartment building, what used to be their back field is now a parking lot for this new place and the lights they put up light up my whole back yard like a loving stadium because unfortunately I don't have a tree barrier like my neighbours.

At one point I told my kids I was just going to go back there and scream incoherently at them, no words, just yelling into the void because holy gently caress do you guys HAVE to roll the future parking lot flat AGAIN and make the whole house shake on top of BEEP BEEP BEEP every day of my life

*breathes deeply* Good luck and godspeed. I feel your pain.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pseudorandom posted:

I'd be as angry as this guy if I knew everyone filming my rage quit would do so in vertical.

How is it that easy for that to fall over? Shouldn't there be a ton of counter weight in the base to keep it all on the ground? Is that a discount Harbor Freight forklift or something?

He's not supposed to be driving it anywhere near that fast with the lift extended like that. Actually the only distance you should be driving with the lift up like that is measured in feet. Enough to lift a load and move forward to stow on shelving or enough to remove from the shelving. If you're moving around the load should be at or very near ground level. Empty forks are still a load (as well as the extended lift mechanism)

The counter weight on the stand-up units is fairly close to the lift mechanism and not a lot compared to the tons that are set back a couple meters that the sit down ones have. You have a huge lever with a couple hundred pounds of forks way up high, and the fulcrum is at the very bottom. The momentum of the height/weight/speed is enough to overcome the inertia of whatever paltry counter weight exists in a small lift like that.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

My dad's got the job of doing the clean up demolition afterwards.

£480K's worth of damage apparently over £600 wages

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Well there's not a remote control that will do it so that's the next best thing for distance.

I think you'll find that that is quite an effective universal remote control with an extended range, it's just that it only switches things off with extreme prejudice.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
My father has been doing a bit of DIY at his house and has drilled a hole in his ceiling for an external TV antenna "about a month ago".

It's 9:30 pm now so I can't just call an asbestos removal guy for their advice.

His house was built in the '70s and he doesn't know if it's asbestos or not. It's not a decorative or popcorn ceiling - if it's asbestos, it'll be low density sheeting.

To protect him from himself and without risking my own safety, should I:
* Mask up, glove up, cover the hole with paper edged with masking tape;
* Mask up, glove up, cover the hole with masking tape directly;
* Bundle him out of the house and let him watch the tennis and spend the night in my guest room (I despise tennis and his being deaf won't help - this is really not my favoured option)

Tomorrow morning I will be calling a professional to assay the material and (if needed) remove any asbestos found; I'm just trying to minimise the 'fallout' in the interim.

It's entirely possible that it's not an asbestos panel he's drilled - his could be the 1 in 3 homes from the era that don't contain asbestos.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Faithless posted:

I'd love to know more about that: I'm guessing that kid having the tantrum has probably screwed over all the people he worked with, directly or indirectly

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

IPCRESS posted:

My father has been doing a bit of DIY at his house and has drilled a hole in his ceiling for an external TV antenna "about a month ago".

His house was built in the '70s and he doesn't know if it's asbestos or not. It's not a decorative or popcorn ceiling - if it's asbestos, it'll be low density sheeting.

* Bundle him out of the house and let him watch the tennis and spend the night in my guest room (I despise tennis and his being deaf won't help - this is really not my favoured option)

Tomorrow morning I will be calling a professional to assay the material and (if needed) remove any asbestos found; I'm just trying to minimise the 'fallout' in the interim.

It's entirely possible that it's not an asbestos panel he's drilled - his could be the 1 in 3 homes from the era that don't contain asbestos.

My first thought is that if this happened about a month ago you should absolutely avoid disturbing the area at all. You going up there to tape it up is going to kick up more dust than just leaving it one extra night will.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

My first thought is that if this happened about a month ago you should absolutely avoid disturbing the area at all. You going up there to tape it up is going to kick up more dust than just leaving it one extra night will.

Thanks. I went with option 4: "As option 3, but say some quite unkind things to my elderly father".

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
OSHA.mp3

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1087398625288818690?s=19

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I seem to recall that yes, there has. Probably more than once.

Studies found that people were experiencing varying symptoms and reactions due to background music completely regardless of whether or not the space had actually ever had music.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jerry Cotton posted:

I seem to recall that yes, there has. Probably more than once.

Studies found that people were experiencing varying symptoms and reactions due to background music completely regardless of whether or not the space had actually ever had music.

That sounds like a study paid off by Big Muzak.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ymgve posted:

That sounds like a study paid off by Big Muzak.

You mean... Muzak. Because there's only one Muzak.

IN GONDOLAND!

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

IPCRESS posted:

Thanks. I went with option 4: "As option 3, but say some quite unkind things to my elderly father".

The other thing to keep in mind is that the average latency to symptoms is 30 years; you are far more at risk than your father is.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

IPCRESS posted:

I'm an asbestos consultant, currently sitting in an office at a power plant that's had 500-odd tons of 80% amosite insulation removed from it in the past couple of years

If it's been a month and there's not a pile of suspect dust laying around, I'd just let it go. An open hole shouldn't be a problem. Don't bother taping it or anything, you'll just disturb it. If you want to save some money, call up an asbestos lab and have them send you a sampling kit. Use a half face respirator with P100 filters and a spray bottle full of soapy water to carefully take some samples. If it's over carpet, lay down a black plastic garbage bag to catch anything that falls, otherwise you can just wipe it up.

If it's an old house, I'd be more worried about mold than asbestos, as long as he doesn't drill more holes daily. Abatement contractors are expensive as hell, if you take samples and they come back hot I'd either leave the asbestos-containing stuff be without loving with it at all, or suit up and remove it myself.

A one-off mild exposure isn't going to kill you before something else does, you're likely breathing in a bunch of asbestiform fibers just sitting there at your desk. If you want to get really hardcore, the lab you call for the sampling kit might be able to send you an air sampling pump and some filter cassettes for phase-contrast microscopy, which would tell you guys whether what you're breathing in contains an appreciable quantity of asbestos or not.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Faithless posted:

good

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I feel like I should mention any loaner air pump you get from a lab is likely contaminated as hell, so... if you fire it up and see a bunch of dust fly out, definitely avoid breathing that in

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Tochiazuma posted:

Yipes, this is sounding really familiar :( The place behind us used to be a church but it went tits up and got turned into this new apartment building, what used to be their back field is now a parking lot for this new place and the lights they put up light up my whole back yard like a loving stadium because unfortunately I don't have a tree barrier like my neighbours.

At one point I told my kids I was just going to go back there and scream incoherently at them, no words, just yelling into the void because holy gently caress do you guys HAVE to roll the future parking lot flat AGAIN and make the whole house shake on top of BEEP BEEP BEEP every day of my life

*breathes deeply* Good luck and godspeed. I feel your pain.

Back when I lived in town, I lived next to a guy who owned a construction company. He parked all his equipment in the yard right next to my bedroom and lit it up like it was daytime at night.

I asked him if he could maybe point the lights in a different direction, and he claimed he was "worried Mexicans were gonna steal his poo poo" and said no.

Bought an air rifle and plinked out half his lights. He replaced them. I did it again. We did this right up until I moved out; probably six times in all.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rad-daddio posted:

Back when I lived in town, I lived next to a guy who owned a construction company. He parked all his equipment in the yard right next to my bedroom and lit it up like it was daytime at night.

I asked him if he could maybe point the lights in a different direction, and he claimed he was "worried Mexicans were gonna steal his poo poo" and said no.

Bought an air rifle and plinked out half his lights. He replaced them. I did it again. We did this right up until I moved out; probably six times in all.

Why didn't you just steal his poo poo?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Reign Of Pain posted:

Eh, I just needed sleep.

After awhile, I think it was cathartic to find out he'd replaced the lights and then shoot them out again.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I think Simone Giertz's inventions are pretty OSHA...her brain tumor is back :(

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Grem posted:

I think Simone Giertz's inventions are pretty OSHA...her brain tumor is back :(

Bummer, that sucks.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rad-daddio posted:

Bummer, that sucks.

At least it's a meningioma. "Benign" doesn't mean as much when the tumor's in the brain as if it's somewhere else, but if you're going to get a brain tumor a meningioma is what you want. My mom had one, the bitch was it was all tangled up with her cranial nerves and it took 18 hours of surgery to remove it, plus gamma-knife followup to get the vestiges so it wouldn't go back.

Also she had breast cancer. And lung cancer. Don't smoke, kids.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reign Of Pain posted:

He knew the mexicans would get blamed and he's a better person than that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

When some motherfucker betrays Shiva.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Was there any more backstory on the dude wrecking that building? I saw that it was concerning £600 in some fashion but what exactly was the dispute?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
employer stole 600 of his wage

he caused 480k worth of damage in return. i wish this kind of bs happened every time lmao

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Truga posted:

Yeah that’s the part I was interested in some details on. Was it a one time thing or constant, was it an accounting error they refused to fix, was it bad labor practices like not paying overtime, etc.

e: Nevermind, it just came up on imgur. Apparently they had originally promised the pay the Friday before Christmas, and then changed their minds.

ee: Also it sounds like maybe they DID cut him a check as promised but the bank hosed it somehow.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Truga posted:

he caused 480k worth of damage in return. i wish this kind of bs happened every time lmao

post a link