Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I never read Tom's quote from when he was asked about Whittaker being the Doctor:

quote:

Baker, 84, told GQ Magazine he was thrilled that Jodie, a former Shelley College student, had been picked for the role.

He said: “Maybe they’ll invite me back as her assistant in one scene or another. It would be very nice, wouldn’t it? In a sequence where she found me somewhere in some old people’s home, where actually perhaps there were several old Doctors.”

:3:

Edit: He also said his own pick would have been Dawn French, who would have been interesting for sure if perhaps a bit too well known for her comedy (even more so than Capaldi).

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Jose Mengelez posted:

hey remember how the daleks are a fascist analog that project power and superiority but deep inside (literally) are a wretched pathetic creature almost worthy of pity? well according to chris chibnall they're actually super strong and cool, ride around on your back like a boss and don't afraid of anything.

can we just make mark gatiss the showrunner please and let grant morrison write a couple of eps?

I didn’t like the mind control but the Dalek being able to teleport its pieces across the planet was just ridiculous. They should’ve had a different backstory.

However Gatiss shouldn’t be allowed near the show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Can somebody tell me Davison's hating there being a woman cast as the doctor didn't really happen or was a misunderstanding? Because every other doctor has been so lovely about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Can somebody tell me Davison's hating there being a woman cast as the doctor didn't really happen or was a misunderstanding? Because every other doctor has been so lovely about it.

From memory he said it was sad boys had lost a non-violent, intellectual role model, then said that instead of mocking people who were losing their loving minds about a female Doctor, people should be more understanding and try to see things from their point of view to foster discussion and perhaps bring them around to the idea of a female Doctor that way. People quite understandably weren't particularly open to the idea of giving equal treatment to the "man-hating feminazi agenda is ruining my television show FOREVER" brigade and his reaction was to temporarily(?) suspend his Twitter account rather than engage any further and risk sticking his foot any further into his mouth.

Basically I think he was well-intentioned but really picked the wrong way to explain the point he was trying to make, and probably unwittingly found himself on the side of some pretty toxic, nasty people as a result.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
peter davison is old

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Colin Baker is even older and he was pretty enthusiastic. :shrug:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I wasn't surprised when Davison said what he did. He's always struck me as a bit of a curmudgeon in interviews and things, in that solidly middle England, middle class, 'I don't want to think too hard or challenge my own opinions' kind of way.

As we all know now, C.Bakes is an all round class act. Meanwhile, Sly is a freak (and I mean that as a high compliment), and T.Bakes also seems to have become much more mellow and open minded in his old age. Davison is more 'normal', which often translates to having kind of lovely views

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

leaning more towards naive rather than actively lovely I think
Old man doesn’t understand just how toxic internet nerds really are and thinks there’s actually a possibility of talking them round with reasoned explanation

Cerv fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 21, 2019

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I get Davison's point that it's important for boys to have non-violent role models*, but it's even more important to teach boys that they can learn those lessons from a female role model just as well as from a male one (and that's obviously just one of the many important things having a female Doctor for a change does). No child "lost" a role model when Peter changed to Jodie, or if they did, that's not where the problem is.

* it's also important to remember here that the Fifth Doctor tried to extrajudicially execute Davros with a laser to the face

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Besides, female action heroes are on the rise. It's a good time for girls to also have a hero who- as Moffat once said- has a screwdriver to fix things instead of an x-wing, and the superpower of having two hearts

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Re watching the Christopher eccleston season to get the taste out of my mouth.
Rose as a season open is just so much more fun and stronger than the woman who fell to earth. Even with some of the cringy bad effects (cgi rubbish bin anyone lol) and occasional dodgy dialog.

Edit: The plastic men, have HAND guns, ho ho ho. Its just terrible. But fun somehow and Rose is immediately believable.

fist4jesus fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 21, 2019

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/1087283906896900096 interesting! I haven't read it yet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Following the C.Bakes regent video up there, YouTube suggested this McGann/Hurt one I hadn’t seen before. A little rough around the edges, but good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tr4EIeqfdY

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

fist4jesus posted:

Edit: The plastic men, have HAND guns, ho ho ho. Its just terrible. But fun somehow and Rose is immediately believable.

The OG Autons also had hand guns. It's a kind of visual shorthand that we're going to be celebrating and building on the original show, goofiness and all, rather than seeing it as an embarrassment.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Don't know if I'll bother reading the whole thing but I quite liked this from the ending

quote:

THE DOCTOR
(beat)
That image inside the dome.
BILL
It wasn’t my actual mum.
THE DOCTOR
It wasn’t your actual mum. It’s
important you know that. It was an
idealised fiction you’d invented to
act as a confidant. A sort of
subroutine that was segregated from
the rest of your parietal and
occipital lobe.
BILL
So not worth sending a card to.
THE DOCTOR
I’m saying it was you. You did
this. In amongst seven billion is
someone like you. And that’s why I
put up with the rest of them.

I'm surprised that Steven "always add more jokes, no sane person ever objected to laughing" Moffat cut out a bunch of jokes

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Resurrection of the Daleks and Revelation of the Daleks are getting novelization.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

After The War posted:

The OG Autons also had hand guns. It's a kind of visual shorthand that we're going to be celebrating and building on the original show, goofiness and all, rather than seeing it as an embarrassment.

Goofy is the right word. Because even though they are flat our murdering people. And I want to hate the handguns for being stupid in the context of existing plastic people coming to life...it just works and is fun.
The music and pacing just make the flaws forgivable.

Even the dumb ending sequence with the doctor being held, the plastic killer vial just out of reach, and then rose saying some poo poo about being a gymnast out of nowhere and eventually saving the day. Horrible. But forgivable, its fun.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Listen to Davison’s full comment starting at 0:50:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR58EPyQ05U

He’s misguided in saying people should encourage chuds to watch Jodie, but he also says to watch it with an open mind and that he think Jodie will be excellent. What he said was well-intentioned, I just think he’s a bit naive when it comes to internet fanbase vitriol. I don’t think it’s fair to lump him in with the rest of the sexists, because that clearly wasn’t what he meant.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

fist4jesus posted:

Even the dumb ending sequence with the doctor being held, the plastic killer vial just out of reach, and then rose saying some poo poo about being a gymnast out of nowhere and eventually saving the day. Horrible. But forgivable, its fun.

The whole setup sort of gives the impression that he was testing Rose, this human he'd just met and could potentially be companion material. He knew the threat was effectively over the instant he was allowed to get that close with the magic anti-badguy potion; a bit of sleight of hand or a space judo move and it would be over. Instead he just sort of looks expectantly up to Rose to see how she'd react, if she'd be up for challenges that weren't going to be so well in-hand for him.

Or it was just directorial ineptitude, but I prefer the former. And it is fun.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

fist4jesus posted:

I love Rose's little monologue. She only got a bronze medal in some lovely little local gymnastics for kids event, a decade or so ago, but it still means enough to her that she'll use it to psych herself up. Most of the episode is contrasting the menial and the phenomenal, and arguing that the phenomenal is just so much better. But here, for once, it's a banal achievement that steps up and saves things.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Open Source Idiom posted:

I love Rose's little monologue. She only got a bronze medal in some lovely little local gymnastics for kids event, a decade or so ago, but it still means enough to her that she'll use it to psych herself up. Most of the episode is contrasting the menial and the phenomenal, and arguing that the phenomenal is just so much better. But here, for once, it's a banal achievement that steps up and saves things.

Really good point, and this theme is bookended nicely by the season climax. In the middle of a calamitous, unimaginable genocidal struggle in the far future, Rose is snapped back to modern Earth, where she bemoans eating chips with her family in some lovely little shop. Rose's mum basically argues that the Doctor's sacrifice was all worth it to get Rose back safely, driving home the season's point that the banal aspects of life are no less precious than the phenomenal for the moments they allow with family and friends; and the Doctor sacrifices so much to allow people those peaceful moments even though he can't ever share in those things. In turn, Rose entirely surrenders to the phenomenal, and it would have killed her but for one last sacrifice from the Doctor.

Then the next season kind of dumps all over that development as Rose and Ten turn all giggly and full of themselves.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Bad Wolf Rose's "my head is killing me" in ethereal godly voice is prob my favourite part of that first finale

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Ugh, it's even more objectionable to see how needlessly stupid it was in addition to having the humorous bits sliced out.

The Doctor's testing Bill, to the point of guards with guns and faking a regeneration. Why? Well, in the context, it makes sense that with Bill as the conduit through which the Monks are changing people's memories and perceptions, she herself might be ground-zero and loyal to the Monks and the "joining up with the Doctor" thing is all a trick. Only the script not only doesn't establish that, it goes out of its way to show that the Doctor doesn't know how Bill contributes to the situation until he talks with Missy. And while it's somewhat clever for the Monks to do nothing about Bill because they want the Doctor to protect her, they have to know he's dangerous to them. For that matter, given that the "let me see your papers" bit turns out to be part of the big put-on, having the Monk "rescue" Bill from that is worse than pointless. It's needless running-about-corridors but without the running part.

Then they get to the Monk on the throne beaming lies into people's minds. Does anybody shoot the Monk in the head and shove him off the throne so the Doctor can hack the system? No. In fact, if the system requires the active participation of a Monk to function, surely just unplugging him will do the trick. But no, it turns into Bill hooking in so the Monk will erase her mind. You know, the mind which the Monks are already linked to and which, if erased, will spoil their entire plan. Does Bill live because the Monk doesn't dare tamper with her mind lest the whole invasion collapse, allowing her to fight it successfully? No, she wins because a part of her mind has embraced a fiction as if it were reality. You know, like almost everyone does in one way or another but without any of the others being in any way protected like Bill is for some reason the episode has no idea how to explain.

That's not to mention the minor pointless stupid bits. They shoot their way into the pyramid with the headphones protecting them from the influence, and the guy whose Walkman is destroyed is neutralized in seconds, making the whole thing pointless. (Why not have no guard at all and skip the whole thing? Why not have humans form a wall of bodies to block the Doctor, creating an actual problem he has to solve instead of just getting some shooting effects while ruining the whole "scary Monks who we don't know what they can do" element?)

Or the worst: the kid turning his mom over to the Memory Cops. The basic concept is clever, sure. But if the Monks are hacking people's memory and perceptions to insert themselves into humanity's past, and not breaking into everybody's homes and replacing all their books with new versions, then anyone affected by the Monks can pick up a book and see sections where the Monks appear while anyone resisting won't see those sections. So the kid finds a bunch of things mom is hanging onto and they don't have Monks in them. So what? If the kid is affected, he should see the Monks there whether or not they are there, because that is how it works! And every other drat book or postcard or whatever is missing Monks, too, so why are these keepsakes any different? The kid should be turning in his mom because she was reading Paddington to him and left out the parts with the Monks and when he complained she told him there weren't any Monks in the story at all.

No, I'm not at all mad about this, after all this time. Why do you ask?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Monks episodes were such a disappointment. I’d wanted a good three parter for a while and that’s what we got.

My current classic Who status is developing a headache from the sound effects in The Web Planet.

I can get past the costumes, the Vaseline smeared camera lenses, but that noise, that noise...

https://youtu.be/z6lUCZqKoV4

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Just saw the dumbest thing ever. Someone claiming that the ep "Rosa" was just pushing a "SJW agenda" because people weren't racist back then.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Just saw the dumbest thing ever. Someone claiming that the ep "Rosa" was just pushing a "SJW agenda" because people weren't racist back then.

It’s a pretty common belief amongst racists that race relations problems in the US began with the civil rights movement messing everything up and that everything was fine before then.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

marktheando posted:

The Monks episodes were such a disappointment. I’d wanted a good three parter for a while and that’s what we got.

My current classic Who status is developing a headache from the sound effects in The Web Planet.

I can get past the costumes, the Vaseline smeared camera lenses, but that noise, that noise...

https://youtu.be/z6lUCZqKoV4

God yeah, the last time I did a whole series rewatch, I think that (and the recon of The Space Pirates) were the only times I had to struggle to actually get through to the end of the story. The sound gave me a minor headache too, I felt slightly nauseous watching it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

It’s a pretty common belief amongst racists that race relations problems in the US began with the civil rights movement messing everything up and that everything was fine before then.

That's because the real problem with the episode was that they focused on the wrong racism.

Which sounds loving weird to say but it was my core problem with the whole thing. People back then weren't loud angry super racists, including common waitresses and literally any single person around.

There was a 'polite' racism, a societal racism that still runs pretty heavy in modern society. You couldn't get away with drat near beating a minority in the streets of a big town for literally no reason- that was from earlier times. No, at that point everyone had to grin and get along and barely put up a facade of tolerance.

That's why the whole protest sparked such a reaction because

Look it's a whole thing but basically I really dislike the Rosa episode because it transformed the situation into such an obvious black and white "Look at how much better we are now" look at racism, with the only nod to the fact that the VERY SAME RACISM that was rampant in 1950s Alabama is STILL a problem, even and ESPECIALLY in the modern day UK

But they probably didn't want kids to really think about that part too much

Also that post is loving stupid

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

people got lynched literally that year and nobody was ever arrested for it, you idiot

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

people got lynched literally that year and nobody was ever arrested for it, you idiot

Not in broad daylight in the middle of town

I'm not talking about what nasty bullshit was going on in general, I'm talking about what we specifically see in the episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Following the C.Bakes regent video up there, YouTube suggested this McGann/Hurt one I hadn’t seen before. A little rough around the edges, but good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tr4EIeqfdY

"OK this is kinda coo--OH poo poo THE END!"

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Burkion posted:

People back then weren't loud angry super racists, including common waitresses and literally any single person around.

Yes, they were.

Burkion posted:

No, at that point everyone had to grin and get along and barely put up a facade of tolerance.

What on Earth are you talking about. I've taught mid-century African American lit a few times and you're on another planet here. You're just out in space.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
"Things might be bad now, but 53 years later they elect a black man president!"

(ignores the next man elected president)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
See I don't think you can take a "and so racism was ended forever" message from an episode where the bad guy is a racist from like the 79th century. The implication is that racism is still going well in the future, to the extent that some dude wants to travel back in time to stop a key civil rights figure from making headway.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Burkion posted:

There was a 'polite' racism, a societal racism that still runs pretty heavy in modern society. You couldn't get away with drat near beating a minority in the streets of a big town for literally no reason- that was from earlier times. No, at that point everyone had to grin and get along and barely put up a facade of tolerance.

The episode literally mentions the murder of Emmett Till, who was literally lynched for smiling at a white woman only a few months before the Montgomery bus boycotts started, you utter cockwomble.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TinTower posted:

The episode literally mentions the murder of Emmett Till, who was literally lynched for smiling at a white woman only a few months before the Montgomery bus boycotts started, you utter cockwomble.

Which was done in the middle of the night in a remote location; again, the point being made is not "nah, things were hunkey dorey", it's "the public face of things was kept civil, while all the nasty poo poo happened in dark alleys and after dark".

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Eccleston alternating between savage glee, cruelity and pain while engaging with the chained Darlek.
Masterful.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Burkion posted:

Not in broad daylight in the middle of town

I'm not talking about what nasty bullshit was going on in general, I'm talking about what we specifically see in the episode.

people literally ran freedom summer workers over with a car iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

corn in the bible posted:

people literally ran freedom summer workers over with a car iirc

Let me clarify exactly what my issue was, because I think that's been lost.

My issue was not how racism was shown- or rather, it was the fact that literally every single white person in the entire episode that is from 1950s Alabama WAS super racist.

The one dude, the old people, sure whatever, the cop most definitely

But the waitress?

She shouldn't have been presented as the problem. For as lovely as the laws were, the Doctor and company came into this restaurant that was very clearly racist, but she's given zero sympathy. This would have been the one time to show a working woman, which is ITSELF a whole thing in 1950s Alabama (let alone 1950s in general) as sympathetic even if she still has to kow tow to the racist law of the land. Have her be frustrated that this group of people are making her already lovely day at work worse, not just belligerently racist and also mistaking an Indian woman for a Mexican

Because if literally every single person we see in the episode is so super racist and ready to pop off, without exception, that means that there is no one to relate to. Which is kind of a problem, because no one nowadays, no one in the modern day, that actually watches the show and enjoys it, is going to look at this episode and wonder 'is this still a serious problem?'

They're not going to wonder if maybe they harbor some residual toxic thinking, because THEY aren't cartoonishly racist. Clearly we as a people have gotten better!

That's part of what rubs me the wrong way about the episode. The one bit of modern day racism we get is brought up super briefly in one of the only Yaz related dialogue moments. There's very little nuance on screen that might make a kid stop and go "is this still a problem, can I recognize these traits in myself?"

"Is there a situation where I would knowingly or unknowingly conform to racist ideals just because they are part of the societal norms?"

That's my issue with it. If the waitress at least had been shown in any kind of sympathetic light, I wouldn't have minded as much- but she's just as hyper racist as everyone else, rendering any kind of lesson you could take from this pointless.

Which is also a bit odd given how intertwined feminism and the civil rights were in the 60s, which maybe should have been touched on more. Instead one of the only people just as oppressed as the minorities around her is brushed off in the same tone as the screaming jackass at the start and the hateful olds at the end.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 22, 2019