Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

just to add, I think there was maybe one or two times I couldn't get back to where my shade thing was to get my geo back without dying, but I do agree that some of the areas were just slightly too big in terms of needing to get to one specific area and not having any convenient way to fast-travel there. overall a really fun game, though.

am I supposed to feel almost perpetually underpowered in Breath of the Wild? It seems like the weapons I'm finding, even with attack meals, are pretty weak compared to some of the enemies I need to hit with them, and the blue bokoblins in the random camps can kill me with like one jab. I fought that guy on top of the mountain in Lanayru like ten times until I could gank him without taking a hit, because hits meant almost instant death, even with defense foods.

fine if so. I just don't know if I'm not finding the right stuff. my highest weapons tend to be around 20-23 in terms of strength.

e: maybe it's also just health inflation with respect to the defense stuff. Breath of the Wild gives out whole heart containers at a time, so you get health quicker but enemies also just do more damage instead of doing like half a heart per hit

The only way to stop getting hit hard is getting upgraded armor. But once you go that route the combat begins to get trivially easy. Which isn't necessarily bad because the combat is my least favorite thing about the game but still.

Best way to get good weapons is to either steal them from tough enemies, find them in shrines, or go to an unmistakeable area just north West of the plateau. Which is really the first suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
You also don't need to fight everything you see

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Pro tip type "Hollow Knight ambient" into YouTube. There's also some nice moving wallpapers on Wallpaper Engine

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

morallyobjected posted:

am I supposed to feel almost perpetually underpowered in Breath of the Wild? It seems like the weapons I'm finding, even with attack meals, are pretty weak compared to some of the enemies I need to hit with them, and the blue bokoblins in the random camps can kill me with like one jab. I fought that guy on top of the mountain in Lanayru like ten times until I could gank him without taking a hit, because hits meant almost instant death, even with defense foods.

fine if so. I just don't know if I'm not finding the right stuff. my highest weapons tend to be around 20-23 in terms of strength.

e: maybe it's also just health inflation with respect to the defense stuff. Breath of the Wild gives out whole heart containers at a time, so you get health quicker but enemies also just do more damage instead of doing like half a heart per hit
are you still pretty early in the game? From what I remember, those bokoblins are carrying dragonbone weapons which explain why they're doing so much damage - disarm them and you can have those high damage weapons for yourself. The guy on the mountain, is that the lynel or am I thinking of a different mountain? If so, they're more late-game enemies and should generally be avoided (though if you're good at dodging you can take them down early, but I'd say it's not worth it)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I lost 12,000 geo somewhere in crystal peak where there's rotating platforms above spiky icy death and also ice throwing flying bugs and quite a lot of verticality, and it was entirely down to me rushing and getting sloppy when trying to get back to my shade and it was certainly chastening

I'd never had cause to use the shade retrieval service either so didn't know that was an option

Still didn't let it stop me though

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Do you guys keep the cash magnet badge equipped? May be my most used charm.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

Do you guys keep the cash magnet badge equipped? May be my most used charm.
I don't think I ever unequipped it v:v:v

that, steady body and the compass were all probably my most used charms and I kinda wish they'd be upgrades instead. They're so essential that it feels like a bit of a jerk move to make them take up a slot.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Barudak posted:

It also makes no sense whatsoever because even assuming Nintendo was all-in on wanting to sell, apple is a terrible suitor given theyre nearly entirely a hardware business.
Eh they’re both hardware and software companies. Apple makes/charges a shitload on the hardware, but without the software they’re just another device manufacturer. I’ve considered them kinda bizarro entities of each other, I guess the key difference being in their roots which more or less continue on. Ultimately Apple’s a computer company, while Nintendo’s a game/toy company.

Spite posted:

also apple's exec team generally hates video games with the undying fury of a thousand suns.
I’ve heard different versions of the past re: games, but at this point I think it’s more a complete blind spot they suck at cause they’re clueless. But it doesn’t really matter...

RME posted:

apple buying nintendo stuff is fueled by people who missed the fact that the App Store is already one of the largest gaming platforms and has been for a while
Cause yeah this just kinda happened on its own, main thing they did right (besides the whole iPhone thing to begin with) was get out of the way and let games run rampant once they allowed third parties on.

And I’d guess people want Apple to buy (or partner with) Nintendo cause Nintendo’s hardware specs have been lacking while Apple’s stuff isn’t, while Apple can’t get the big traditional console games (outside of old ports). Besides not really needing each other, Apple tends to charge 2-3x more for that nicer hardware. And Nintendo charges big money (relative to mobile stuff) for their big games. They could both go cheaper, but they don’t need to, which is why they wouldn’t get together in the first place.

Anyway back to games. I’m looking forward to Downwell. And Puzzle Bobble 2 whenever the hell that comes out. I could just buy PB1 right now but is there a reason to get/play 1 over 2? I feel like this is gonna be a Magical Drop 2/3 situation where my impatience ends up in me getting both. And Strikers 1999/1945 III, eventually. I have no clue what new stuff I should be looking forward to, but hey, yay for old games I already know I like! :downs:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/SplatoonCafe/status/1087646515693146112

Awesome, that expansion has some really cool tracks

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Sooo the left joystick in my left joycon came completely out? I put it back in and it kinda works, except I can't get it to recognize going all the way down. I tried calibrating it, but it won't go down far enough to calibrate. I'm out of the 1 year warrenty, so what's my best solution to fix this? There's about 100 different vendors selling what's probably all the exact same replacement on Amazon. Is there one this thread recommends?

And what are some good games that can be played with 1 joycon that aren't going to require a ton of thinking. Second baby is coming soon and I'm hoping there's something to play while I pace around in a circle at 1am trying to get her to stay asleep.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 22, 2019

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So my BiL showed me the magic of Windjammers. I'm thinking of waiting for 2 or would that be unnecessary.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Why isn’t there a DMC port on this console yet :thunk:

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Shyfted One posted:

... what are some good games that can be played with 1 joycon that aren't going to require a ton of thinking. Second baby is coming soon and I'm hoping there's something to play while I pace around in a circle at 1am trying to get her to stay asleep.

The SNK Collection is a great collection of games you have never played, that pretty much all work with one joycon and don't require a lot of thinking. Well worth a look (it's pretty cheap as well!)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Woo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDlDEhvEOM

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Why isn’t there a DMC port on this console yet :thunk:

They're too busy working on the new Viewtiful Joe

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Not a Children posted:

They're too busy working on the new Viewtiful Joe

Don't play with my heart like this

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I missed out on Pikmin 3, and need Pikmin 4 in my life yesterday.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The last level on Star road in NSMBU is the worst last level in a Mario game. Trivially easy and doesn't even feel like a victory lap because its bland and boring. The premise of following a shell you threw isn't done with any kind of tension or spectacle.

Why was this the last level? Literally any of the other star road levels would have been better. I'd have gone with either the pendulum level or the p-switch race level.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Wheres Gundam Breaker 3

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

StabMasterArson posted:

Wheres Gundam Breaker 3

On the Vita three years ago?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Gripweed posted:

On the Vita three years ago?

Ok and on the switch? Hell Id take NGB

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1087711547797970947
Indie games get a head start for this year. Hopefully a real Direct isn't far off.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1087711547797970947
Indie games get a head start for this year. Hopefully a real Direct isn't far off.

You might call this one... an Indirect :cawg::lol::roflmao:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wargroove might drop like Into the Breach did last time. Review copies are out.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You might call this one... an Indirect :cawg::lol::roflmao:

That’s... actually really clever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rolo posted:

That’s... actually really clever.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

shew me that crazy My Friend Pedro game

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I want to see more of Untitled Goose Game

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

I want to see more of Untitled Goose Game

Exactly same

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The last level on Star road in NSMBU is the worst last level in a Mario game. Trivially easy and doesn't even feel like a victory lap because its bland and boring. The premise of following a shell you threw isn't done with any kind of tension or spectacle.

Why was this the last level? Literally any of the other star road levels would have been better. I'd have gone with either the pendulum level or the p-switch race level.

It’s a tradition in Mario games for the ultimate challenge in the game to be followed up with an easy jog to the finish line as congratulations for your effort.
Like climbing the skyscraper at the end of Darker Side in Odyssey
NSMB games aren’t exactly known for their sense of showmanship or spectacle though

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 22, 2019

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

The Sean posted:

I grabbed Labyrinth of Refrain recently and it's pretty fun.

I'm right at the end and the last boss's face is wrecking me. Not to get too spoilery but I've done 4 out of 6 steps to get access to the post-game stuff, plus I got the special spell that makes the last boss not hit as hard, and it's still too much.

I've been soul-transferring characters who hit LVL 99. I'm thinking if I can bring everybody up in the 80s again it shouldn't be a problem, but I might just switch the difficulty to easy so I can be done with it quicker.

It's a fun game, I love first person dungeon crawlers, but I've put so many hours into it and I just want to see the end.

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 22, 2019

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Kikkoman posted:

I'm right at the end and the last boss's face is wrecking me. Not to get too spoilery but I've done 4 out of 6 steps to get access to the post-game stuff, plus I got the special spell that makes the last boss not hit as hard, and it's still too much.

I've been soul-transferring characters who hit LVL 99. I'm thinking if I can bring everybody up in the 80s again it shouldn't be a problem, but I might just switch the difficulty to easy so I can be done with it quicker.

Are you using White Rose pact with Champion and a big stack of melee characters? Everything balance-wise shifts to melee towards the tail end of the game, Champion/Overdrive/etc is completely busted especially because it stacks with other physical damage up and defense down buffs. With a melee team + max offensive reinforcement and all those buffs that you'll make pretty short work of the last boss.

I killed it in 1 hit with a crit with a Gothic Copellia and I wasn't particularly overleveled or anything. Crits are nonsense in this game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Untitled Goose Game will be GOTY

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Are you using White Rose pact with Champion and a big stack of melee characters? Everything balance-wise shifts to melee towards the tail end of the game, Champion/Overdrive/etc is completely busted especially because it stacks with other physical damage up and defense down buffs. With a melee team + max offensive reinforcement and all those buffs that you'll make pretty short work of the last boss.

I killed it in 1 hit with a crit with a Gothic Copellia and I wasn't particularly overleveled or anything. Crits are nonsense in this game.

I have one team of raptors that can crit 20K and will sometimes hit 10+ times each, but they're not exactly reliable. I've been going rear van van van rear with raptors on one side and dancers on the other, will try going all vanguard and see how that works out.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Raptors are uh... kinda terrible for anything other than speed/donum/items unfortunately. You will also get a damage penalty using bows from the front line, you really need Asters, Gothics or Bushis for melee fighting. Donum Attack is generally the best formation to use period, though Advance is fine too if you aren't casting offensive spells.

I hit the final boss for 6 digits worth of damage when I crit it to give you an idea of how hard Gothics hit with buffs.

BTW the Donum formations are bugged and you can use them even with duplicate coven types, because it's LoR.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 22, 2019

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm entering day two of being sick. I decided Paper Mario TTYD would be a good use of my day after buying it years ago and never playing it. It's pretty fun and chill so far, I'm looking around in the sets below Rogueport. My only gripe with the game is Mario's black, beady, soulless eyes. They are unsettling.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's a badge to fix that. By turning him Waluigi colors the soulless eyes now match

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is this canon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sucks I'm working during the Indierect but I'm looking forward to seeing it. Indie games are often great.