Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

kidkissinger posted:

what exactly is mueller not doing that you wish he was?

Informing the American public in a direct and concise way of everything that I just said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1087733867614781446

God he is so whiny

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Ayanna is so incredible

She really is amazing!

Also can we appreciate how this pic looks like they are about to drop a mixtape?

https://twitter.com/KatieHill4CA/status/1086759137214586880

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Well, because he is a pathetic manchild, so....

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

god, i love how he can't stand anyone telling him he is full of loving poo poo.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Lol president endorses leaks to the press

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
Even if the investigation finishes, and fails miserably at doing anything to president scramble-brains, that would not surprise me. But haven't the [D] party pretty much pinned all their stuff to this? It's been mentioned in here before, I forget by who, but wouldn't an impeachment before the investigation's end, short of him trying to start a nuclear war, or some such very crazy poo poo that would force the senate's hand, just be perceived by a vast part of the USA as reaching a conclusion before all the evidence has been brought forth? Tasting the pie while it's still in the oven, so to speak.

I mean the optics would just go to poo poo in a blender, no? I want this motherfucker out of office at this very minute too, but I think that might be what's holding them back.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

friendbot2000 posted:

She really is amazing!

Also can we appreciate how this pic looks like they are about to drop a mixtape?

https://twitter.com/KatieHill4CA/status/1086759137214586880

the furies is a good name but that would imply trump has enough feeling guilt in him to be emotionally tortured by it.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

She's a lying mitch, just like you Donnie, only she's smart enough to know to shut up when she isn't gonna win the argument

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

KickerOfMice posted:

Even if the investigation finishes, and fails miserably at doing anything to president scramble-brains, that would not surprise me. But haven't the [D] party pretty much pinned all their stuff to this? It's been mentioned in here before, I forget by who, but wouldn't an impeachment before the investigation's end, short of him trying to start a nuclear war, or some such very crazy poo poo that would force the senate's hand, just be perceived by a vast part of the USA as reaching a conclusion before all the evidence has been brought forth? Tasting the pie while it's still in the oven, so to speak.

I mean the optics would just go to poo poo in a blender, no? I want this motherfucker out of office at this very minute too, but I think that might be what's holding them back.

Yea the optics. Read what dude just said on twitter. lol

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SocketWrench posted:

Lol, a white person screaming racism, what has this timeline done.
No, your kids were targeted for being rear end in a top hat whitebreads too dumb to distinguish good ideas from bad ideas and even moreso because of their parents crying about their kids being oppressed for being rear end in a top hat whitebreads and not getting away with it like you expect them to

"Racial oppression is a state of mind. Democrats have convinced black people that they're oppressed. It's the oppression olympics!"

~It's always loving projection~

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/PoliticsK12/status/1086020670859948032

Another little publicized first-term Congresswoman, Jahana Hayes is introducing a bill to boost public school teacher pay. something that is desperately needed in our school systems. My teacher friends can barely put money into savings because their pay is so poo poo and they often are working 60 hour weeks. America treats it's teachers like expendable garbage.

https://twitter.com/RepJahanaHayes/status/1085576747335208960

I really like the last bit. Atheism is demonized in the United States so seeing this means quite a bit.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 22, 2019

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

pkay posted:

Informing the American public in a direct and concise way of everything that I just said.

Doing what you want before the investigation is complete, verifiable and as thorough as possible is not nearly as smart or wise as it sounds in your head.

KickerOfMice posted:

Politically it’s probably better that the rest of his administration is hobbled to nothing with investigations and indictments then impeaching him and letter everyone pretend that the great catastrophe, that trump is a symptom of and not a cause, is over. Pelosi is right to not want to pull the trigger until the investigation is over with.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsK12/status/1086020670859948032

Another little publicized first-term Congresswoman, Jahana Hayes is introducing a bill to boost public school teacher pay. something that is desperately needed in our school systems. My teacher friends can barely put money into savings because their pay is so poo poo and they often are working 60 hour weeks. America treats it's teachers like expendable garbage.

Does that cover teachers with advanced degrees too?

Teachers should be paid for their advanced training the same way doctors and lawyers are.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

SocketWrench posted:

She's a lying mitch, just like you Donnie, only she's smart enough to know to shut up when she isn't gonna win the argument

USPOL Winter: She's a lying mitch

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

pkay posted:

I meant the dems being afraid of looking unjust, or whatever. Trump's optics have been in a crazy place since like 1970.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/mainehotwater/s...ingawful.com%2F

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

pkay posted:

Hey dude. What do you want to happen? Will you be happy if the house impeached tomorrow and then the senate says lol no? What’s next after that?

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

skylined! posted:

Doing what you want before the investigation is complete, verifiable and as thorough as possible is not nearly as smart or wise as it sounds in your head.

Because this way is working out well. This probe and its offshoots are going to still be going a decade from now. Why not wait till then? That seems like the sensible thing to do. Gotta be thorough you know?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I feel like maybe you're missing the point Mr. Undecided Voter.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I should probably put this somewhere to be copy and pasted in here, whenever the subject comes up:

People seem to take Mueller as some sort of lone wolf 80s detective, out trolling the streets for information, giving Johnny the Shoeshine boy 20 dollars and asking if he has seen Trump with any Russians. Or, they take other people as saying that, thinking that we believe Mueller is going to bust Donald Trump like the last 15 minutes of a Perry Mason episode.
Mueller can better be understood as a bureaucrat, whose main role is supervising a large team. There are over a dozen experienced federal prosecutors working for Mueller, and they might be overseeing a team of hundreds of agents, from multiple departments: Justice, Treasury, probably State, maybe Defense. This investigation is moving with bureaucratic inertia. Its hard to get going, but its hard to stop, and even if Mueller just decided "I am going to kill the investigation, after working on it for 18 months", what is he going to do? Take the filing cabinet with his leads, and sink it in the Potomac?

In addition, there are other investigations going on into Trump. The SDNY is the largest, and some people have conjectured that it is even larger than Mueller at this point. There is also the investigation into Butina, which is being carried out in both Washington, DC, and South Dakota. There are State AG investigations. There are going to be more congressional investigations. There are probably foreign intelligence investigations by NATO allies, etc. No one person is in control of what is going on.

One of the good things about the Russia Investigation thread is that people could read back into it and see how many times people's "Nothing Matters" takes were wrong. I had my own errors, I thought it would accelerate more quickly. But there were also people who were saying, in December of 2017, "Trump will pardon Manafort and Flynn, the Senate won't do anything, this entire investigation will disappear". And yet it hasn't.

This story is still going to develop. In terms of a news cycle, two weeks is an eternity, and we can get diverted into talking about just how thuggish a bunch of bros from Kentucky are for a few days. But the investigation is still going on while new information is not being published.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

The Super-Id posted:

Hey dude. What do you want to happen? Will you be happy if the house impeached tomorrow and then the senate says lol no? What’s next after that?

Yes, I would be happy. After that, "if first you don't succeed try again?"

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does that cover teachers with advanced degrees too?

Teachers should be paid for their advanced training the same way doctors and lawyers are.

quote:

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 17, 2019

Mr. O'Halleran (for himself and Mrs. Hayes) submitted the following
resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Education and Labor

RESOLUTION

Supporting the goal of increasing public school teacher pay and public
education funding.

Whereas over the last 2 decades, public school teachers are contributing more
toward health care and retirement costs as their pay falls further
behind;
Whereas after accounting for inflation, public school teacher pay fell by $30
per week from 1996 to 2015, while pay for other college graduates with
years in the workforce increased by $124 per week, equaling a
compensation gap of 11.1 percent, which is an increase of 9 percentage
points from 1996 to 2015;
Whereas despite reduced salaries, teachers' out-of-pocket costs to cover
necessary classroom materials and instructional supplies average $485
annually, with many teachers spending far more;
Whereas on average, public school teachers earn just 77 percent of what other
college graduates with years in the workforce earn in weekly wages;
Whereas in the State of Arizona, public school teachers earn just 63 cents on
the dollar compared with other college graduates with years in the
workforce, and this gap is 79 cents in the State of Kentucky, 67 cents
in the State of Oklahoma, and 75 cents in the State of West Virginia;
Whereas in 18 States, public school teacher weekly wages lag by more than 25
percent and there is no State where teacher wages are equal to or better
than those of other college graduates with years in the workforce;
Whereas education support professionals (including paraprofessionals,
custodians, administrative staff, cafeteria workers, specialized
instructional support personnel, and others) provide critical services
to support student success and remain chronically underpaid;
Whereas teachers at public schools in rural communities face disproportionately
low wages and high turnover rates;
Whereas 29 States provided less overall State funding per student in the 2015
school year (the most recent year available) than in the 2008 school
year, before the recession took hold;
Whereas in 19 States, local funding for education also declined during the same
period;
Whereas despite being 28 years since the Individuals with Disabilities Education
Act was first introduced, that Act remains less than fully funded;
Whereas title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, the
cornerstone of the Federal Government's commitment to help children in
high-poverty schools succeed, has been chronically underfunded;
Whereas part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, the
cornerstone of the Federal Government's commitment to provide special
education and related services to children with disabilities, has been
chronically underfunded;
Whereas the Federal Government has a trust responsibility to Indian Tribes
affirmed in treaties, laws, court cases, and the Constitution, yet
consistently underfunds the construction and maintenance of Indian
schools so that, according to a 2017 U.S. Government Accountability
Office report, $1,300,000,000 is needed to address construction,
maintenance, and repairs of all Indian schools;
Whereas increased investment in elementary school and secondary school
instruction can reduce class sizes, improve teacher wages and retention,
and ensure that students have access to up-to-date, high-quality
classroom materials; and
Whereas a majority of both Democratic and Republican voters identified increased
investment in public education as a top priority for the 116th Congress
in a recent POLITICO/Harvard poll: Now, therefore, be it
Resolved, That it is the sense of the House of Representatives
that--
(1) the compensation of public school teachers should be
comparable to other college graduates with years in the
workforce in the State or Territory in which the teachers are
employed; and
(2) States, Territories, and the Federal Government should
increase investment in instruction, classroom materials, and
services available within public schools to ensure all public
school students graduate from high school ready for college and
career.

It looks like it is a resolution being sent to committee so more details will be forthcoming. But here is the main goal of the resolution.

I really like how the resolution/future bill is going to address pay disparity for non-education personnel like administrative and janitorial staff.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 22, 2019

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

IT BEGINS

For serious though the changes to the code and withholding are going to result in shitloads of people losing their annual 4-figure windfall

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

I like the use of the term "defendant". It seems appropriate.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol did he not look at the tax bill. you're in a blue state dude. can't wait for my return to be poo poo too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is full stupid.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I have never seen a tax return anywhere close to $4500 and this guy is starving without that?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Zophar posted:

I have never seen a tax return anywhere close to $4500 and this guy is starving without that?

I guess it depends on the nature of his “small business.” Is it ag related for example?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Goddamn, I really just want Rudy Giuliani to loving go away. He's so laughably incompetent that putting him on TV to stump for this administration just feels like they're taunting us.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Super-Id posted:

What do you want? Like, what's the best case here?

Yea man, the only real result of the Mueller thing will be, at best, the house impeaches, the senate doesn't, and the dems get an easy 2020 story of 'we wanted to take action against the criminal president and the senate refused to' and maybe if we're lucky President Harris won't gently caress things up so bad we get President Miller after her.

Like, this is a bad situation! We're in a bad place! Our opposition party has pinned most of their hopes and dreams to the strong daddy FBI man riding in on a unicorn to tell them trump can't be president any more and Hillary won for real and this was all just a bad dream after all. There's no actual plan for post-Trump other than status-quo restoration and that's just going to give us another fascist.

What I want is for Mueller to release his almost certainly toothless report and then gently caress off and die in a hole or whatever so we can focus on actual messaging.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

pkay posted:

ok, so in order to do that with any credibility, he should probably finish his investigation

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pkay posted:

Yes, I would be happy. After that, "if first you don't succeed try again?"

Cool, and why will it work the second time if not for new evidence? Maybe from some kind of investigation?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

glowing-fish posted:

I should probably put this somewhere to be copy and pasted in here, whenever the subject comes up:

People seem to take Mueller as some sort of lone wolf 80s detective, out trolling the streets for information, giving Johnny the Shoeshine boy 20 dollars and asking if he has seen Trump with any Russians. Or, they take other people as saying that, thinking that we believe Mueller is going to bust Donald Trump like the last 15 minutes of a Perry Mason episode.
Mueller can better be understood as a bureaucrat, whose main role is supervising a large team. There are over a dozen experienced federal prosecutors working for Mueller, and they might be overseeing a team of hundreds of agents, from multiple departments: Justice, Treasury, probably State, maybe Defense. This investigation is moving with bureaucratic inertia. Its hard to get going, but its hard to stop, and even if Mueller just decided "I am going to kill the investigation, after working on it for 18 months", what is he going to do? Take the filing cabinet with his leads, and sink it in the Potomac?

In addition, there are other investigations going on into Trump. The SDNY is the largest, and some people have conjectured that it is even larger than Mueller at this point. There is also the investigation into Butina, which is being carried out in both Washington, DC, and South Dakota. There are State AG investigations. There are going to be more congressional investigations. There are probably foreign intelligence investigations by NATO allies, etc. No one person is in control of what is going on.

One of the good things about the Russia Investigation thread is that people could read back into it and see how many times people's "Nothing Matters" takes were wrong. I had my own errors, I thought it would accelerate more quickly. But there were also people who were saying, in December of 2017, "Trump will pardon Manafort and Flynn, the Senate won't do anything, this entire investigation will disappear". And yet it hasn't.

This story is still going to develop. In terms of a news cycle, two weeks is an eternity, and we can get diverted into talking about just how thuggish a bunch of bros from Kentucky are for a few days. But the investigation is still going on while new information is not being published.

Government time is something I deeply understand and work every day to shorten.

The problem is paperwork doesn't end a crisis, as every trained first responder can tell you, we just make sure we document every little thing we do so we can do the book keeping after the fact.

The reason Trump as a crisis isn't being delt with is a political one, called the Senate, they get too much a pass, just like the rich.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 22, 2019

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Arist posted:

Goddamn, I really just want Rudy Giuliani to loving go away. He's so laughably incompetent that putting him on TV to stump for this administration just feels like they're taunting us.

He's literally going on TV as a distraction

He's either senile and not worth paying attention to or actively trying to muddy the waters. Either way he's doing a masterful job of telling leftists to go fetch

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arist posted:

Well, one thing Guiliani is accomplishing is that the slow drip of revelations is pre-empting a lot of the potential impact of Mueller's report. Each time he goes on television and admits something the story becomes "guiliani said a thing, how dumb" rather than "President Crimes Did All The Crimes" all at once.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sharice Davids is awesome example of how great new congress is plus her story is amazing, an openly gay UFC fighter who is one of two first native american member of congress

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepDavids/status/1087424281359863810
https://mobile.twitter.com/RepDavids/status/1087445133115736064
https://mobile.twitter.com/RepDavids/status/1087732618593009669

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the furies is a good name but that would imply trump has enough feeling guilt in him to be emotionally tortured by it.

Eh let’s just go with the Baseball Furies and have them just threaten to chase Trump around whilst carrying baseball bats. :shrug:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

fishing with the fam posted:

Wouldn't that all but guarantee the senate wouldn't convict?
The Senate's not going to convict. The best-case scenario of the House going through with impeachment would be to turn the Senate's inevitable failure to remove Trump from office into popular outrage that causes Trump and several "safe" Republican Senators to lose in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

What do you want? Like, what's the best case here?

I want a damning report that puts many of the people in Trump’s orbit in jail and convinces everyone with a brain to never trust a republican. I want a dem president, house, and senate in 2020. Anything else is a bonus.