Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Found this, thought the new AI/BWM would enjoy it:

I think reddit gives bad advice about cars and car purchases. A case against the 2 year old Honda.

quote:

What’s the most common advice we here: buy a 2-3 year old Honda or Toyota. While I have done this in that past, it’s a very narrow view that is not the best for everyone.

Let’s say Jim and Karen live in Lansing, Michigan, have 4 young kids, and need third row. They drive 10,000 miles a year, and generally don’t do their own maintenance.

Reddit says get a 2 year old Toyota. The Highlander is to my knowledge the cheapest 3rd row they sell. 2 years 30k your looking at $30,000 for a mid trim package. You’re going to pay a higher interest rate due to buying a used vehicle, and the car is half done with it’s factory warranty.

Or you can buy a brand new Dodge Journey sxt for 15k out the door (don’t look at Msrp, use autotrader) you going to have more warranty, pay less in interest and insurance. In ten years when it has 100k you can catch it on fire, buy a new one and still have less invested then you had invested in a 2 year old Toyota.

On top of regular depreciation, you have Michigan rust which is brutal and expensive on older cars, the fact that kids are going to destroy the interior, and it’s nice driving a new car and not one that’s 15 years old.

I’m not saying it’s bad advice buying a 2 year old Japanese car, just we’ve Ecco-chambered it so long as fact that we fail to recognize other options that maybe just as good or better.
I don't know cars but the comments are tearing this guy apart for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BMan posted:

The dude's a doctor married to a doctor, I think he can afford more than a beater.

But not 34k for a used compact car, what the hell

the golf R is a good car though

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hoodwinker posted:

I think reddit gives bad advice about cars and car purchases. A case against the 2 year old Honda.

the base Journey has one of the worst powertrains you can buy today

once you start comparing apples and apples feature wise, the Journey gets a lot more expensive and is still FCA trash - although i think he's technically right about the SXT (since it's being discontinued for 2019, and everything is leftoves on the lot which are very cheap) - as long as you are willing to have fewer features and deal with a little more maintenance spend it is loving cheap

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Should rename the thread Bad Money With, then we'd get confused with the bmw thread

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I know that americans tend to have more kids than Euros but four is probably on the unusual end.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

I know that americans tend to have more kids than Euros but four is probably on the unusual end.
It's regional. In Utah, it's fantastically common. I'm in Seattle; seeing anyone with kids at all is uncommon, and more than a couple definitely stands out.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Should rename the thread Bad Money With, then we'd get confused with the bmw thread

GOD drat BANKING SYSTEM

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Thanatosian posted:

It's regional. In Utah, it's fantastically common. I'm in Seattle; seeing anyone with kids at all is uncommon, and more than a couple definitely stands out.

I mean, seeing toddlers in the college dorms was also pretty uncommon...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I mean, seeing toddlers in the college dorms was also pretty uncommon...

NumbersMatching320 posted:

GOD drat BANKING SYSTEM

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
How does this thread feel about the fact that I've never owned a car and don't intend to buy any type of vehicle until I retire? Not possible to be BWM about cars when you don't have one.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Thread title: 2019 BMW: should I buy one?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Where are you all finding 10 year old Corollas with 100k miles for a few thousand bucks? That's a $10,000 car where I am, maybe a little less on Craigslist

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Devian666 posted:

How does this thread feel about the fact that I've never owned a car and don't intend to buy any type of vehicle until I retire? Not possible to be BWM about cars when you don't have one.

Slightly envious. As much as I love cars I wish I didn't need one. You know how many horsepowers I could make if I didn't have that commuting expense or have to restrain from doing stupid mods cause it's still gotta get me to work?

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Where are you all finding 10 year old Corollas with 100k miles for a few thousand bucks? That's a $10,000 car where I am, maybe a little less on Craigslist
I bought a 2007 Corolla for around $7k with ~100k on it back in 2015, and that’s in southern wisconsin.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Probably the Midwest and Northeast.

They're probably composed of about 68% rust at that point.

EDIT: ^^^ told you so.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Devian666 posted:

As long as you're not "saving money" by living in downtown NYC/SF/Boston that sounds fine.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Hoodwinker posted:

He uses the phrase “Ecco chamber” more than once.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Easychair Bootson posted:

He uses the phrase “Ecco chamber” more than once.

That dolphin really liked to hear itself talk.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Devian666 posted:

Everyone should buy a 2019 BMW, yes.

Residency Evil posted:

As long as you're not "saving money" by living in downtown NYC/SF/Boston that sounds fine.

Those are weird examples since the price at the city center is nearly the same as 10 public transit stops away.

Everyone should live walking distance to work, if they can. There are physical and environmental benefits in addition to playing yuppie urbanite!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

If you live in a metropolitan area with good public transit, you can live reasonably affordably while still living well within city limits. I'd hazard it's probably cost saving as long as you also work in the city.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think I'll stick with my '77 BMW, thanks

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Those are weird examples since the price at the city center is nearly the same as 10 public transit stops away.

Everyone should live walking distance to work, if they can. There are physical and environmental benefits in addition to playing yuppie urbanite!

Hoodwinker posted:

If you live in a metropolitan area with good public transit, you can live reasonably affordably while still living well within city limits. I'd hazard it's probably cost saving as long as you also work in the city.

I'm sorry guys, I don't think you're familiar with the BWM thread. The only GWM thing to do is to telecommute to your job in NYC from a trailer park in Idaho.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hoodwinker posted:

"Michigan rust" hasn't been a thing for at least a couple decades at this point. Wash your car routinely in the winter and you'll be fine.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Residency Evil posted:

I'm sorry guys, I don't think you're familiar with the BWM thread. The only GWM thing to do is to telecommute to your job in NYC from a trailer park in Idaho.

But only if your trailer park is on a rural bus route.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think you should buy a used singer 911 as your commuter car. It probably has zero depreciation. Take that corolla.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

I'm sorry guys, I don't think you're familiar with the BWM thread. The only GWM thing to do is to telecommute to your job in NYC from a trailer park in IdahoDes Moines.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Can I telecommute from my Van?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Sirotan posted:

"Michigan rust" hasn't been a thing for at least a couple decades at this point. Wash your car routinely in the winter and you'll be fine.

I live in :canada: and we salt the earth in the winter. The only cars that rust here are Chevvies and Mazda3s. Every other car on the road with rust typically had damage that went down to the bare metal and/or perforated.

Just buy a toyota/honda/korean passenger car, period. Used or Newish, drive them into the ground for the best value.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Hoodwinker posted:

Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat is the Blue Story of car reliability.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat is the Blue Story of car reliability.
I'm going to remember this when I have to buy a car next year or the year after.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Say what you will but dodges keep loving going. Only reason I got rid of the piece of poo poo neon was because it kept eating brake cylinders and I didn't want to change the clutch. Style? Lol gently caress that. Rust? The whole frame was rust. Thing just kept ticking though. Co-worker has a 96 Plymouth neon that's still on the road. Dodge makes poo poo cars but they keep chugging out of spite. Till they catch on fire like the one my dad had.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Say what you will but dodges keep loving going. Only reason I got rid of the piece of poo poo neon was because it kept eating brake cylinders and I didn't want to change the clutch. Style? Lol gently caress that. Rust? The whole frame was rust. Thing just kept ticking though. Co-worker has a 96 Plymouth neon that's still on the road. Dodge makes poo poo cars but they keep chugging out of spite. Till they catch on fire like the one my dad had.
I can't say I consider this an endorsement.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Hoodwinker posted:

I can't say I consider this an endorsement.

Well his dad lived so it's ok.

I hope. :ohdear:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

New title is tops

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Note, the reason it's tops is the following OTHER thread title

BMW Thread. As Preventative Maintenance, Change Your Rod Bearings Every 2 Years

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Dad fixed the fire damage and sold it for a grand :v:
Neons live on loving spite

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Dad fixed the fire damage and sold it for a grand :v:
Neons live on loving spite

I will say old rear end Neons are rad and are like one of the two chryco products Id buy. The other being a diesel ram that Id pull the drivetrain out of and put it in something that wouldnt fall apart around it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The Neon is a solid car, the Journey is Chrysler LLC freshly divorced from Mercedes saying "we just don't give a gently caress anymore, here's a piece of iron with some plastic on it whatever"

Factory OEM zipties.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Yeah when my 10 year old 100K corolla was in an accident (not my fault) the insurance company just totaled the car. I think I got $2500.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

We buy them non-running and ratty, and then pour money into them with equal parts denial and sunk-ship fallacy. :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
We all know there's only one BFC approved car.

Toyota Recalls 1993 Camry Due To Fact That Owners Really Should Have Bought Something New By Now

quote:

TOKYO—Saying it was simply time for drivers to move on, Toyota Motor Corp. issued a recall of its entire 1993 Camry model line Wednesday due to the fact that its owners really should have bought something new by now. “We understand that the 1993 Camry was tremendously dependable, but, honestly, there’s just no excuse for driving a 22-year-old car at this point,” said Toyota spokesman Haruki Kinoshita, adding that, with all the advances in automotive technology that have taken place, no one really had any business driving a vehicle for more than two decades. “We’re not saying you have to buy a new 2015 Camry or splurge on a flashy new hybrid, or even that your new car has to be a Toyota at all. But the bottom line is that you need to start fresh, however you choose to do so.” While Toyota is reportedly confining its recall to the 1993 Camry, it also issued a warning to owners of 1994 to 1998 models alerting them to the fact that they were really starting to push it.