Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/wheatus/status/1087330548626931713

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

You know like half of Asia lives on fish and rice.

Yeah and mercury poisoning is a chronic issue for them

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah and mercury poisoning is a chronic issue for them

Eat farm grown fish.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah but there isnt any wild caught fish that is low enough to be safe for daily consumption

So yeah, don't eat fish every day is your only option, but still eat (especially farmed vegetarian fish, but especially not farmed carnivorous fish) regularly because fish oil is hella good for you.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Eat farm grown fish.

Eat farmed trout, catfish, tilapia. Don't eat farmed salmon.

Seafood watch app is useful: https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/our-app

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Leperflesh posted:

So yeah, don't eat fish every day is your only option, but still eat (especially farmed vegetarian fish, but especially not farmed carnivorous fish) regularly because fish oil is hella good for you.

Please go on. I had no idea about the different types of fish farms. I would like to know more.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I can't quite work out how to word the joke, but the girl in the thumbnail is literally standing behind bars.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Eat farm grown fish.

Eat no fish

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Please go on. I had no idea about the different types of fish farms. I would like to know more.

https://www.seafoodwatch.org/ocean-issues/aquaculture
https://www.seafoodwatch.org/ocean-issues/fishing-and-farming-methods

Basically this site is awesome, Monterey Bay Aquarium is concerned with both conservation and consumer health, and it's a funded, constantly-updated resource that gives you direct suggestions for good fish choices, alternatives when you can't find the best things, and what to avoid; and then you can drill down to find the whys and the details.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 22, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Leperflesh posted:

Eat farmed trout, catfish, tilapia. Don't eat farmed salmon.

Seafood watch app is useful: https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/our-app

Gotcha. Salmon since it lives half in freshwater seems like a type of fish that would be mostly free of mercury in the wild, but I could be crazy.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Eat squid. They refresh their stocks faster and in greater numbers than most fish so they are sustainable.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

some kinds of fish eat bugs and the other kind eat turds and algae. that's the extent of what i know about fish living in arizona. i think i went to a salmon fish farm when i was like 5 on a trip to washington state.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I'm just going to cut back on eating thermostats

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Eat squid. They refresh their stocks faster and in greater numbers than most fish so they are sustainable.

Squid also are some of the most intelligent and vicious creatures on the planet. Large enough squid will happily tear people to pieces. Getting attacked by a pack of humbolt squids is a death sentence most of the time, and the people that dive with them do so in full chainmail divesuits. It's described as getting attacked by a pack of pitbulls from all directions.

Squid is also loving delicious.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Gotcha. Salmon since it lives half in freshwater seems like a type of fish that would be mostly free of mercury in the wild, but I could be crazy.

Mercury concentrates up the food chain. Carnivorous fish that eat other fish have the most mercury, because their prey has already concentrated mercury from eating the next thing down on the chain.

Farmed salmon are bad not only because they're fed fishfeed that is often high in fish meal, which is produced through indiscriminate catching methods, but because they tend to breed lots of parasites and diseases and then some farmed fish in ocean pens escape and carry the disease into the wild population.

Alaska has the best-managed wild fishery in the world. For the kinds of fish that are best eaten wild-caught, pick an Alaskan-origin fish and you are probably good. It's my rule of thumb when it comes to salmon.

e. There are ongoing developments in salmon farming and some promising improvements from certain sources, but most of the time you're buying farmed atlantic salmon with no idea exactly who produced it and like 95%+ of it is the harmful kind.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 22, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Predator fish absorb more mercury because the creatures they consume add mercury to their bloodstream.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why doesn’t Impossible Burger sell their stuff directly to people?

They can charge significantly more for it this way. Also the exclusivity breeds interest.

C-Euro posted:

RE: goon projects, I bought my dad the goon-written WW2 book years ago (My Tank Is Fight!, I think?) before I even registered here and he absolutely loved it. I should borrow that next time I'm home, I'm pretty sure he still has it...

Parsons is very good. I still have his novel on my computer and his front page content is clearly the best

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Play posted:

They can charge significantly more for it this way. Also the exclusivity breeds interest.

I wonder if there isn't a certain additional benefit: if only good restaurants provide people with their first encounter with the product, there's less of a chance of bad reviews from people who buy one at the store, bring it home, and overcook the poo poo out of it or whatever.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Come join us in the sardine thread. Sardines are pretty good if you're worried about mercury as they're low on the food chain. They're also easier to raise & relatively better for the environment than larger farm-raised fish. Just be careful where the fish comes from.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hell yes on small oily fishes. Sardines are pro-tier dad food. I used to read that thread but I got like 4000 posts behind but I totally have sprats and kippers and 'dines and stuff in my cupboard now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Leperflesh posted:

I wonder if there isn't a certain additional benefit: if only good restaurants provide people with their first encounter with the product, there's less of a chance of bad reviews from people who buy one at the store, bring it home, and overcook the poo poo out of it or whatever.

They also may not have the supply chain to sell it in supermarkets, which is backed up by whoever said they went to the restaurant and they are always out of stock. Probably they have an intention to expand at some point, once the relative benefits of only being in restaurants decreases, and once they have more volume in their supply chain

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Come join us in the sardine thread. Sardines are pretty good if you're worried about mercury as they're low on the food chain. They're also easier to raise & relatively better for the environment than larger farm-raised fish. Just be careful where the fish comes from.

I have thought of sardines but bones and eyes are gross

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What do you guys know about Kamala Harris? She seems like a total boss in those vids where she's asking questions during various hearings.

Is she p.cool?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

with shrimp you've probably eaten poop before

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In my sci fi utopian future the meat is genetically modified and controlled enough to deliver, prepare and cook itself for you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Qwijib0 posted:

I'm just going to cut back on eating thermostats

I'm going to eat more thermostats to make up for it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ehud posted:

What do you guys know about Kamala Harris? She seems like a total boss in those vids where she's asking questions during various hearings.

Is she p.cool?

You're gonna hear a lot about her days as a prosecutor and being a cop, basically. I dont know the details yet but I can already hear the gnashing of teeth.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

Is she p.cool?

seiferguy posted:

You're gonna hear a lot about her days as a prosecutor and being a cop, basically. I dont know the details yet but I can already hear the gnashing of teeth.

Yeah, basically she has some solid positions but was more then a bit of a monster as AG. For example, refused to investigate local Police departments that murdered minorities, refused to prosecute Steve Munchin's bank and refused treatment to trans prisoners among other lovely cop greatest hits.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Canned sardines are usually headless, and you can peel out the spines if you don't wanna eat them although you can totally eat them.

e. Kamala Harris is a cop in her soul and san francisco you'd think would have liberal cops but nope, they murder homeless people and are corrupt although probably not as bad as LA.

I think she supports bail reform though which is the right side to be on that position, but yeah she's gonna be pretty vulnerable on the being-a-prosecutor side of things and yet that will not win over any of the conservatives because she's still a black woman from san francisco.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

hifi posted:

with shrimp you've probably eaten poop before

for some reason way more comfortable with that than eyes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Soy bean! Checkmate!

I thought they used a bean protein my mistake

Nah, it's soy and wheat proteins, so unlike meat burgers they're not gluten free.

It should be noted also that Impossible burgers were designed to be marketed specifically to meat eaters as an alternative not because of ethical issues with eating flesh, but from an environmental stand-point. When I worked somewhere that sold them all our materials about them highlighted how much less water was used in their production compared to beef.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
There is no perfect candidate because by the time someone gets to the point where they can realistically run for Prez they have some kind of skeletons in their closets or once supported policies that in retrospect now look unprogressive.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There is no perfect candidate because by the time someone gets to the point where they can realistically run for Prez they have some kind of skeletons in their closets or once supported policies that in retrospect now look unprogressive.

Yeah I mean if she wins the candidacy I'll totally vote for her over Trump and not even think twice about it. But I'd rather have Warren.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sure, Kamala Harris is a better candidate then the dregs of like Biden or Bloomberg, but there's multiple significantly better candidates already running, so there's no reason to support her.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don’t really have a dog in the fight, but is Warren’s apparent lack of political instinct (the weird announcement video, the unforced error with the DNA test) a red flag?

Nov 6, 2002

YES

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Look at this guy who's never had a smelt.

So I will admit I prefer the smaller ones where you can crunch up the bones instead of the bigger ones where you just have to chew the meat off. And they're really not good the next day. You eat them right after you cook them or you're probably going to have to throw them out.

I probably be more in two cans of small fish but I have no idea what to do with them. The extent of my cooking with anchovies is that I make anchovy butter to slather on swordfish on the rare occasions we have it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

General Dog posted:

I don’t really have a dog in the fight, but is Warren’s apparent lack of political instinct (the weird announcement video, the unforced error with the DNA test) a red flag?

Oh god yes

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i had this feeling harris would be the frontrunner for a while since she's some sort of combination of obama and hillary

Leperflesh posted:

I think she supports bail reform though which is the right side to be on that position, but yeah she's gonna be pretty vulnerable on the being-a-prosecutor side of things and yet that will not win over any of the conservatives because she's still a black woman from san francisco.

speaking of which, guess what conservatives are trotting out now

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/1087789425482960898

Nov 6, 2002

She is like the anti-AOC.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kalli posted:

In my sci fi utopian future the meat is genetically modified and controlled enough to deliver, prepare and cook itself for you.

Now imagine a cow bursting through the window of your house, crashing onto the dining room table and, after a short comedic pause, bursting into flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeeeesssssss, yes. Yes.

Like I'd rather have Warren as president vs. Harris, but if we want to not have another 4 years of Trump, it'd be great if we could have a candidate who is genuinely charismatic.