Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Concentration is defined as Consistency on a moment by moment basis (rather than game by game) so yes it's as important for attacking players as it is defenders. Technical and Mental attributes suffer when Concentration fails.

The mechanics aren't quite as simple as Consistency (which is a flat 'rating/25' chance to perform to visible attributes) as it's weighted towards having more of an effect later in games. Win games by half time and you don't really need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

Concentration is defined as Consistency on a moment by moment basis (rather than game by game) so yes it's as important for attacking players as it is defenders. Technical and Mental attributes suffer when Concentration fails.

The mechanics aren't quite as simple as Consistency (which is a flat 'rating/25' chance to perform to visible attributes) as it's weighted towards having more of an effect later in games. Win games by half time and you don't really need it.

Thanks!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So it's Determination, but different somehow?

Also I'm kinda getting from how Consistency and Concentration work that physical attributes are better to have your precious CA points invested in because they're not subject to nerfing by failing a Cons/Conc check.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 11, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

So it's Determination, but different somehow?

Also I'm kinda getting from how Consistency and Concentration work that physical attributes are better to have your precious CA points invested in because they're not subject to nerfing by failing a Cons/Conc check.

This is balanced somewhat by physical attributes being expensive in CA terms. Acceleration, Agility, Stamina and Pace are big investments (for most positions) that can easily eat up most of a player's footballing potential.

Determination is a player's ability to deal with adversity. It's not an "always on" attribute like Concentration, it only comes into play when your team/the player is going through bad times (it's also makes players develop faster off the field as SI caved to the widespread myth).

But there' a lot of confusing overlap in how Determination, Work Rate, Concentration and Aggression are applied. When you ask important people at SI for details they read you the dictionary definition of each word as if that's supposed to help.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Does Stamina really matter much, though? I recall reading (might even have been from you) that players don't actually suffer significant performance penalties until they get, like, under 60% condition. (This is a big reason the 5-2-3 tactics broke the match engine, you can have automatic/complete wing-backs running 10 miles per game with no problems, thus effectively playing two positions each, thus letting you get away with playing the 3 strikers that kill the match engine without destroying your midfield defence)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 11, 2019

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Does Stamina really matter much, though? I recall reading (might even have been from you) that players don't actually suffer significant performance penalties until they get, like, under 60% condition. (This is a big reason the 5-2-3 tactics broke the match engine, you can have automatic/complete wing-backs running 10 miles per game with no problems, thus effectively playing two positions each)

In some systems, some positions will end up in the 60s on a regular basis. High stamina probably mitigates that a little. Also the lower it drops, the quicker a player will be back to 90%+ before the next game during fixture congestion.

I play a super high intensity 5-2-3 and my wingbacks and midfielders are always knackered.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I think injury risk increases significantly once you drop below 60 or 70 percent as well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
As a modifier for ability Stamina isn't a big deal, no. It can have cumulative effects for injury/recovery but players down at 50% and carrying knocks will still dominate your midfield as if they were fresh.

Attribute penalties don't kick in until pretty low condition, and they start pretty mild. And like with many attributes 95% of the database seems to be in a nice, safe 10-14 range where there's no functional difference between the ratings.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

am i supposed to be interacting with my players all the time? I dont want this to be a baby sitter simulator but some players throw tantrums constantly

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jel Shaker posted:

am i supposed to be interacting with my players all the time? I dont want this to be a baby sitter simulator but some players throw tantrums constantly

The game isn't always about babysitting, but some players have lovely personalities and will tantrum at the drop of a hat. If you don't think what they bring to your team is worth putting up with their BS, start looking for a replacement.

In my games I generally only sign players with certain personalities or media styles, and it makes man management so much easier - usually when someone comes to me they can be talked down easily by me or an influential teammate (assuming that they don't actually have a legit issue, which happens) and a lot of the time they just stick to keeping their head down and working.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jel Shaker posted:

There's some value to interacting with players a lot but it's far from essential. Ignoring their nonsense and selling the particularly annoying players is a perfectly valid playstyle.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Praising the best trainer (that you haven’t praised in the last couple of weeks) seems to do a good job of ticking up your relationships with your squad

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

If you constantly interact eventually (assuming things go positive) they add you to their favoured staff and i guess that has a small value to contract negotiations ect but it can be ignored.

And tbh its always best to save scum interactions because theres no logic to them and never has been and they continue to add new layers but never actually fix it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

The Croc posted:

If you constantly interact eventually (assuming things go positive) they add you to their favoured staff and i guess that has a small value to contract negotiations ect but it can be ignored.

And tbh its always best to save scum interactions because theres no logic to them and never has been and they continue to add new layers but never actually fix it.

I've read that excellent FM14 LP twice from top to bottom and my favourites were when the manager would praise a character who just bagged a brace or who earned a 9+ rating, only for the player to reply "I don't need to be patronised!" and have his mood drop.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

IIRC your Man Management attribute actually has a significant impact on whether players react positively to you praising them and etc., doesn't it? If so then you either invest points in it or just never speak directly to your players ever.

(could just be an internet legend and it actually does nothing though)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

IIRC your Man Management attribute actually has a significant impact on whether players react positively to you praising them and etc., doesn't it? If so then you either invest points in it or just never speak directly to your players ever.

(could just be an internet legend and it actually does nothing though)

The (non-training) manager stats don't seem to do much of anything. Level of Discipline makes players scared to come talk to you, supposedly. Adaptability is how fast you learn a new language in a foreign country.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If you can get good Team Leaders, they'll let you know about players with 'Pre-Concerns', and I've found that most of them will be happy enough that you've popped your head in to not raise the issue for a couple of months after that. I've had players who've "wanted" a new contract for 3 years by the time they outright ask for one, and have been happy the whole time.

And yeah, Praising the top couple of players from training and Criticising anyone getting less than a 6 tends to work well.

And singling out the highlighted player after a game for a bit of praise.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I've read that excellent FM14 LP twice from top to bottom and my favourites were when the manager would praise a character who just bagged a brace or who earned a 9+ rating, only for the player to reply "I don't need to be patronised!" and have his mood drop.

Got a link?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Genuinely one of the most exciting and dramatic LPs I've ever read, though unfortunately it pisses itself at the very end.

Edit: There is also a new LP for FM18 done by the same person, currently going on in the appropriate forum.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

JustJeff88 posted:

Genuinely one of the most exciting and dramatic LPs I've ever read, though unfortunately it pisses itself at the very end.

Edit: There is also a new LP for FM18 done by the same person, currently going on in the appropriate forum.

Oh poo poo.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

Thanks, this owns.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

hopterque posted:

Oh poo poo.

Bobby Digital posted:

Thanks, this owns.

If you're like me, that will consume your life for weeks to come. There are some incredibly tense, jaw-dropping moments.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

If you're like me, that will consume your life for weeks to come. There are some incredibly tense, jaw-dropping moments.

Uhhh I’m already on the second Prem season

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

JustJeff88 posted:

I followed the old one at the time, the "oh poo poo" was for there being a new LP. Thanks for the heads up.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Finished the FM14 one, what a ride.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I feel incredibly stupid, but i just discovered you can re-arrange the icons on quick access side bar.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
This may have been talked about already, but I've just really started with FM19 and....is having a touchline ban the worst thing that could ever happen? Or is it just my assistant manager who is the stupidest person to ever loving live?

First, he changes my starting 11 to put a center back in midfield, that I could live with.

Then, 47 minutes into the match, he subs on my 20 year old reserve goalkeeper. At center back. Then at 60 minutes, he moves him to left back to put an attacking midfielder at center back and the previous left back in the midfield.

Naturally, we won 2-0 with the goalkeeper scoring a 30 yard free kick late on, because FM, but what the gently caress is this

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Sounds like it’s your tactics mate

haven’t played 19 yet but my many touchline bans in past versions didn’t seem to result in anything wacky

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You should sack your assistant he's no good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Naturally, we won 2-0 with the goalkeeper scoring a 30 yard free kick late on

Sounds like your assman is actually a genius who's onto something

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

vyelkin posted:

Sounds like your assman is actually a genius who's onto something

Can't argue with results I suppose

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I have so many questions about this screenie. I just don't know where to begin.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

XBenedict posted:

I have so many questions about this screenie. I just don't know where to begin.

Just pretend it says Portsmouth everywhere! I used the create a club thing to replace them with my American Vanity Project Team, also releasing all of their players and starting with only 4 Americans and whoever I could sign on a free.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Just pretend it says Portsmouth everywhere! I used the create a club thing to replace them with my American Vanity Project Team, also releasing all of their players and starting with only 4 Americans and whoever I could sign on a free.

It's nothing if not convoluted.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Show us his stats, I want to know what the system sees that makes him an acceptable outfield player.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shazback posted:

Show us his stats, I want to know what the system sees that makes him an acceptable outfield player.

The way real life goalkeepers are rated there's no reason they can't dominate central midfield tbh.

Have you seen Petr Cech's passing attributes? And he's considered bad with his feet.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Shazback posted:

Clearly it's the 1 flair that made him such a goalscoring threat. You'll notice he's now made 2 league appearances, I was so inspired that the next match I subbed him on at striker in the dying moments. No goal scoring magic this time though.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Do keepers have technical attributes other than Goalkeeping? I'm wondering if those are hidden attributes, simulated, or generated when they play in the outfield.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Shroud posted:

Do keepers have technical attributes other than Goalkeeping? I'm wondering if those are hidden attributes, simulated, or generated when they play in the outfield.

Yes they do. Every player has both Goalkeeping and Outfielder technical attributes (and coaching), the game just hides usually but if you do get a player who has a decent rating in both goal keeping and an outfield position then you can switch between the different views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The only weighted technical attributes researchers are asked to fill in are First Touch, Heading, Passing and Technique. Most are going to have zeroes for all the others, which would I assume be randomly assigned by the game like every other case of a zero rating.

Only without a weighting they could end up being anything (1-20), rather than having to fit within the CA value.

I don't know how it actually works, it's a bit obvious a potential oversight to go completely under radar.