Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i've never had gourmet cause that many problems. it's scary when they wake up literally malnourished every day because their hunger decay is stupid high but pigging out on food really is not that big of a deal unless you are traveling and rations have been planned carefully. you should always have a large surplus of food of all things, to handle any of a dozen different situations or to sell off to a bulk goods trader.

smack fiends aren't that big of a deal either because you can wall off any windfalls of dope you get until a trader comes by to collect them. beyond that you just farm healroot for your cash crop instead of drugs. the legitimate uses for drugs are narrow enough in this game that giving them up is a little painful, but absolutely worth it for a pawn with a good skill and passion in it.

pyros, however...yeah, they are basically time bombs. i tend to keep them around anyway because most of my gameplay is frontloaded into the first couple of years when the struggle is real. even exiling a pyro that is unskilled has real consequences because i can force the pyro to do all the cleaning and hauling in the compound to free up the cooks, builders, and crafters. but once i'm past that precarious point and starting to think about longer term considerations, the pyros are always the first ones into the cryptosleep caskets so i don't have to worry about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Is a Xenomorph mod possible with the code base?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
What are you guys using to store weapons? These shelves only hold 2 weapons and I'm running out of space!

Vicar
Oct 20, 2007

Why do you need that many weapons stored in shelves? I usually just put decent quality weapons from raids that my pawns don’t need in the warehouse and sell them whenever a trader shows up

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Vicar posted:

Why do you need that many weapons stored in shelves? I usually just put decent quality weapons from raids that my pawns don’t need in the warehouse and sell them whenever a trader shows up

1) I've got different weapons for different uses.
2) I'm producing weapons faster than selling them.
3) Dont kink shame.

This isnt even including all the "tainted" stuff I've been scrapping.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
My question is this:

Why can't I sit around and play rimworld all day?

I counted and I'm at 30 mods, which seems like a good place to stop. But that rpg style inventory looks good. I have mod manager, fishing, realistic planets, a weapon research mod, rimmunation outfits, rimefeller, rimatomics, terraforming, realistic ruins (which owns and creates dungeons to explore), and some other stuff. Questionable ethics I think. Also some ui and smaller stuff like that.

I wanna try hacking mechanoids.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Slung Blade posted:

Or, wait until they finish their tantrum and stuff them in a pod with a rifle, a knife, a bedroll, and a few meals and send them on a vision quest.

This sounds like a great Let's Play.

Coolguye posted:

i've never had gourmet cause that many problems. it's scary when they wake up literally malnourished every day because their hunger decay is stupid high but pigging out on food really is not that big of a deal unless you are traveling and rations have been planned carefully. you should always have a large surplus of food of all things, to handle any of a dozen different situations or to sell off to a bulk goods trader.

smack fiends aren't that big of a deal either because you can wall off any windfalls of dope you get until a trader comes by to collect them. beyond that you just farm healroot for your cash crop instead of drugs. the legitimate uses for drugs are narrow enough in this game that giving them up is a little painful, but absolutely worth it for a pawn with a good skill and passion in it.

pyros, however...yeah, they are basically time bombs. i tend to keep them around anyway because most of my gameplay is frontloaded into the first couple of years when the struggle is real. even exiling a pyro that is unskilled has real consequences because i can force the pyro to do all the cleaning and hauling in the compound to free up the cooks, builders, and crafters. but once i'm past that precarious point and starting to think about longer term considerations, the pyros are always the first ones into the cryptosleep caskets so i don't have to worry about them.

This is also how I feel. Most things are, eventually, a minor irritant at best. And using Psychology, treating the negative trait comes at the low cost of a bit of herbal medicine, so why not?

Telsa Cola posted:

Is a Xenomorph mod possible with the code base?

A wise modder once told me that anything is possible with C# so long as you have the will to code it. If you're just talking chestbursters though, that's a Hediff and something else to spawn the facehugger when the Hediff expires.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

vandalism posted:

My question is this:

Why can't I sit around and play rimworld all day?

I counted and I'm at 30 mods, which seems like a good place to stop. But that rpg style inventory looks good. I have mod manager, fishing, realistic planets, a weapon research mod, rimmunation outfits, rimefeller, rimatomics, terraforming, realistic ruins (which owns and creates dungeons to explore), and some other stuff. Questionable ethics I think. Also some ui and smaller stuff like that.

I wanna try hacking mechanoids.

Cute :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

vandalism posted:

I counted and I'm at 30 mods, which seems like a good place to stop. But

It's too late for you, you're on the slippery slope to making the game unrecognizable just like many of us already have.

Give in to the dark side, dehumanize yourself and face to load times

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Danaru posted:

It's too late for you, you're on the slippery slope to making the game unrecognizable just like many of us already have.

Give in to the dark side, dehumanize yourself and face to load times

my load time is long enough that i can start the game, make a bag of popcorn and a cup of tea, come back, and still wait a bit. aaaaaaaagh

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

It wouldn't be so bad if you could alt tab while it's loading.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Coolguye posted:

None of them are unmanageable, but again, the game throws so many colonists at you that there's no reason to put up with lovely ones. Even good passions aren't enough to make it worth their baggage, because you'll get two more recruitment opportunities before the month's over. Even cryptosleep pods are worth more as scrap than it is to hold on to an annoying colonist when banishing them is just -3 for a week.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Nalesh posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if you could alt tab while it's loading.

you actually can! set it to windowed mode and there's an option to run in the background. you can maximize it and you just lose a small amount along the top for the window bar but it'll run and load in the background.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Keeshhound posted:

you'll get two more recruitment opportunities before the month's over.
that time horizon is basically my issue here - i'd much rather start getting work out of someone NOW than wait another week or so to maybe have another broken puppy.

i'll fully admit my penchant for stuffing idiots into cryptosleep is suboptimal, but i kind of feel like it's a pension package for the first year or so of the most hazardous work. you've earned your place on the ship out of here, but for the love of god, go into cryptosleep so the rest of us don't have to deal with you for a while.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Kris xK posted:

What are you guys using to store weapons? These shelves only hold 2 weapons and I'm running out of space!

Shelves are good for important storage (so you know exactly where the molotovs are when the infestation hits, etc.) but for regular bulk storage you might as well toss everything on the floor in a standard stockpile. Use the Expanded Storage mod if you want to be able to stack them.

Weapons have a hidden sell price penalty though so I only make guns that I need and sell/melt the rest, and for some reason I'm always constantly short on steel once I get industry going so I'm loathe to waste it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Danaru posted:

Some dude made a mod where you can CQC dunk someone Metal Gear style if you have enough melee skills. Its hilariously overpowered since it has no cooldown but it's so satisfying to just flatten out any berzerking colonist

I like to use it when hunting. It's hilarious to have generic MSF grunt codename "Rhesus Monkey" just walk up to a Thumbo and judo-flip it.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Randy sucks today, I really didn't expect this nicey-nicey run to be so hard with a half-decent biome and reasonable starters. Thanks for the suggestion of making paste instead of letting my colonists eat raw stuff, that's been great.

Unfortunately, Ignacio, one of only two colonists out of five who can either plant or harvest crops has psychite withdrawal, a busted humerus and muscle parasites, leaving his manipulation at 0% and him basically useless. It feels like he's had parasites for-loving-ever (do they even go away on their own? we have no meds) and the withdrawal isn't exactly flying through the numbers.

So, the colony is being held together by poor old one-armed Gerardon, who is an absolute legend, stopping planting crops only to harvest them. Problem is the his plants skill is a mere 3, so he's not exactly quick and if I see 'harvest botched' when gathering that rice we've tortuously grown and need so desperately many more times I might have a mental break.

Randy isn't exactly kind with wildlife, either. Only a couple of hares and a fennec fox in the last few days, barely enough to keep us out of starvation. Traders are similarly poor, totally uninterested in our leather and boomalope milk stuff surplus. I guess the next step, were something to happen to Gerardon, will be to caravan to a nearby tile and hunt it clean.

Get well Ignacio, we need you.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
2 questions. Any awesome LP’s of this game? Cause playing apparently isn’t enough...

Is there a good list of recommended mods anywhere?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Disappointing Pie posted:

That depends.

What are you looking for? Flesh Forge has a recent post someone'll probably find that's about good quality of life and minor tweak mods.

Then, there are a number of changing vanilla to simplify things or even potentially negate negative things that are base in the game.

And then you can have Jedi foxmen with bionic dicks riding thrumbo-muffalo hybrid creatures into combat while this snake lady cleans your base and you intermittently milk her.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Combat Extended is finally out for 1.0

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33461.0

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Has anyone else played with industrial rollers mod? It can be glitchy to build, but glorious to behold on a chill settlement. If you’re looking for something to add more workflow traffic, you’ll loose hours of playtime just fiddling with the things. Currently have a base set up where pawns chuck everything into a hole in the wall and it all gets sorted out and sent to assembly lines and neat storage on conveyor belts.

Its a huge steel hog though. Recommended if you grit your teeth and manage to stop pawns interfering with it via various jiggery pokery.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to answer my question of "how do I stop raids from ruining my haygrass fields?" It's not that the raiders are setting my poo poo on fire, but that my cannons are blowing giant craters in the fields as they geek the incoming pirates. Pushing my defense line out in front of the fields would be a bit of a challenge since the terrain is less than optimal that far forward. And I'm not giving up my cannons. They're too useful when 100+ person raids show up to delete a good chunk of them before they even get into firing range.

2 questions. Any awesome LP’s of this game? Cause playing apparently isn’t enough...

Open the workshop. Sort by most popular all time, filter for Mod and version 1.0, go hog wild. Once your done adding all of the things that look interesting/useful to you, play until you find something you don't like, then go back to the workshop and look for a solution to that.

Repeat until you have 200 mods and it takes a full fifteen minutes to get into game.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Warmachine posted:

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to answer my question of "how do I stop raids from ruining my haygrass fields?" It's not that the raiders are setting my poo poo on fire, but that my cannons are blowing giant craters in the fields as they geek the incoming pirates. Pushing my defense line out in front of the fields would be a bit of a challenge since the terrain is less than optimal that far forward. And I'm not giving up my cannons. They're too useful when 100+ person raids show up to delete a good chunk of them before they even get into firing range.
Build a wall two or three tiles thick outside the fields with an undoored, untrapped entrance with a relatively sizable S-bend in it. Or, two or three S-bends at different cardinal directions, whatever. Drop cannon fire outside the entrance and/or inside a large S-Bend and blow up/weaken the raids, then repair the wall. Leave your defense line where it is and when raiders get inside oh well who cares, guess you're gonna have to crater a field. If you think the raiders will single-file the entrance and make artillery firing them impractical then make the inside of the S sizable enough that you can drop cannon fire into the middle and be relatively certain you're not going to crater a field.

Leave your actual defense line where it is; the point of the entrance is to just funnel enemies into an area that'll keep your crops insulated from artillery fire. So, no roofs over the entrace.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there a mod for boom-people?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1113137502

You can add in animal traits to your colonists. Boom glands are some of the things you can add

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

More like Compatibility Excluded

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Warmachine posted:

and it takes a full fifteen minutes to get into game.

I'm only on like, 30 mods right now (gotta get that prison labor and have bioreactors I can stuff troublemakers into after I rip their organs out) but the loadtime is a thing. If I turn on "run in background" will it load in the background? One thing I've noticed is that if I click to a browser or w/e the game doesn't load while it doesn't have window focus and that makes getting in obnoxious even with my few mods.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I guess it loads in the background because whenever I start up RimWorld is when I see 1) what's new in RimWorld thread and 2) what stupid derail is in USPol and then POOF somewhere in there the game loads.

I'm definitely a fan of the external wall that funnels people in. Combined with your turrets, and it's likely you'll have an even better time of defense.

Edit: I went back in the thread and looked at the images that included more of your defense line. You could snake a bended wall so they exit out of the left side, before the haygrass. You might end up changing your defense line somewhat, but probably not a ton. Whereas with mine there's a huge hallway with 2 bends, you'd probably be fine with 1 bend since your turrets will be doing a lot of work. You could even have two entrances, one that spits out before each bunker.

What usually ends up happening is the raids come in fairly single file (or double file, or triple file, however wide your hallway) and if you've got sufficient firepower, they just keep stumbling through the opening and getting shot down.

With huge bases/high wealth, I advise against a single wide hallway. Double is kinda iffy too - it makes the raids take sooooo much longer when they're slowly presenting themselves to you, as there's the game's reorganization of the pawns as it decides at some point they can no longer occupy the same point in space.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 22, 2019

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Realistic Ruins is such a fun mod. I started a new colony and apparently it dropped me on one of these ruins (I didn't know that was possible) and it's some schizophrenic nightmareland of a base. It was almost too much because I was queuing up too much deconstruction and almost starved.

Having legendary beds on day one is pretty swell.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

robotsinmyhead posted:

Realistic Ruins is such a fun mod. I started a new colony and apparently it dropped me on one of these ruins (I didn't know that was possible) and it's some schizophrenic nightmareland of a base. It was almost too much because I was queuing up too much deconstruction and almost starved.

Having legendary beds on day one is pretty swell.

My first experience with it was going after a pristine ruin quest, and hoping that I was going to find something good to raid and maybe some spicy tech to bring home. When I got there, it was just a couple of wooden noob-shacks. I managed to find a stack of 50 components in the storage room, but that was is.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

Warmachine posted:

My first experience with it was going after a pristine ruin quest, and hoping that I was going to find something good to raid and maybe some spicy tech to bring home. When I got there, it was just a couple of wooden noob-shacks. I managed to find a stack of 50 components in the storage room, but that was is.

50 components? that's a goddamn motherlode in my eyes! i'm almost always component-starved and it sucks.

new small mod suggestion: Semiprecious Stones by Zylleon. adds 8 new jade alternatives for folks who want expensive gemstone statues and furniture, generated in the same way as jade. it does feel like it makes gemstones a bit more common (most of my maps have at least 4 different types) so keep that in mind, but i'm pretty happy with having some more pretty colours to use in my base-building. fully compatible with Quarry, works perfectly with Stuffed mods, haven't run into any conflicts or compatibility problems.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Forget the hay grass, stuff the corpses in a paste machine and feed that to the animals.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Warmachine posted:

Yeah components own. That's a good haul. I like the ruins. Mine was just a bunch of wolves. My guys froze to death there, rip.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Pharnakes posted:

Forget the hay grass, stuff the corpses in a paste machine and feed that to the animals.

Do your animals know how to operate the dispenser or do you have someone on full time feeding duty? What about your herbivores?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Nutrient paste is literally the most OP thing in the base game, #2 is taming boomalopes, #3 is IED roof room traps

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

After complaining of the lack of food yesterday, after about 10 seconds in game today, :siren:MANHUNTER PACK:siren:

Nothing like a delivery, thanks, Randy!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Rhadamant's YouTube LPs are pretty good. He has a few 1.0 LPs finished and a few ongoing.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I don't think I could live without Numbers and Moody at this post. Absolutely essential QoL mods.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Warmachine posted:

A wise modder once told me that anything is possible with C# so long as you have the will to code it. If you're just talking chestbursters though, that's a Hediff and something else to spawn the facehugger when the Hediff expires.

This is truth. Rimworld is so thoroughly modifiable that, given the experience and motivation, you can code a mod to implement literally anything. Modding Rimworld is less like tinkering with the game and more like actually working on it as an in-house developer. Some things are prohibitively difficult to modify because they're so deeply ingrained in the codebase... but you could still completely upend that codebase if you wanted to. Nothing's off-limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The dragon I accidentally dropped inside my base while carrying it to a "taming cave" after it was downed randomly self tamed. That ended way better than I expected.

edit: meanwhile, in the battle outside, I still loving hate necks.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 23, 2019