Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

twice burned ice posted:

"My position is that I was not disrespectful to Mr. Phillips"

Your position??? What the gently caress does that mean?

It means there's an entire PR firm puppeting him for a thousand dollars a minute to make sure he stays on script. Kid seems dumb as dirt and his eyes say he has no idea what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

twice burned ice posted:

"My position is that I was not disrespectful to Mr. Phillips"

Your position??? What the gently caress does that mean?

It means that he is a good Christian "rich" white boy, and everything he ever says or does is never offensive, but either in jest or the truth, depending on the day

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Oh joy. I can look forward to more flashback ptsd episodes while they compare the racist rapist Kavanaugh and these racist poo poo heels.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Maybe boomers have just been exceptionally tenacious about not giving up power,

Regardless of the rest of it, this is a big part. You see it in companies, too, which is one of the reasons why entry-level requirements have gone through the roof. There's no room to move up, so everybody at every level has been there way too long.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Huh, I had no idea efforts to make the ERA were still active. It seems like even tho it was voted down in VA’s committee there’s still a chance it can pass?

https://twitter.com/kate_kelly_esq/status/1087851603401560064?s=21

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The shutdown is polling badly among the 12 year old imaginary child demographic.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ague Proof posted:

David French: Conservative husbands are rapists and conservative children are racist

https://twitter.com/DavidAFrench/status/1087803857403555842

Wow, that’s the most damning indictment of conservatism that I’ve ever heard.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Dude, I still got that sort of poo poo in high school in the mid-00s: you could use an internet source (singular), but there were caveats, and you better drat we'll have had far more traditional sources on that bibliography page.

High school class of ‘09 chiming in to say that my teachers would retroactively question properly cited sources if they later learned it had come from “the internet”.

Thank you California public school system

e: oh, and “Weakeepeedia” is not the same thing as an encyclopedia, that was hammered in.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Apologies, but can somebody post direct links to the other videos of the CovCath dudes being assholes? Google search is all news articles with staredown video and I keep hearing people parrot the PR narrative.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ague Proof posted:

The shutdown is polling badly among the 12 year old imaginary child demographic.

This is satire right?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Kreeblah posted:

Regardless of the rest of it, this is a big part. You see it in companies, too, which is one of the reasons why entry-level requirements have gone through the roof. There's no room to move up, so everybody at every level has been there way too long.

Yeah and to be clear, I'm certainly not attributing it to some 'gen xers are terrible lazy shits' or something, it's just striking how all the party leadership is still so solidly in boomer hands even as they're literally hitting their 80s and 90% of the establishment convo around the next presidential election is still about people deep into their 70s.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

VH4Ever posted:

I even never used the goddamn Encarta encyclopedia disk.

The Oregon Trail Generation, followed up by the Encarta 95 generation.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is satire right?

no, but its probably not a real kid either.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Lychnis posted:

I'm an older GenX, a demographic that used to be known as the "Baby Bust." Our parents were not, for the most part, Boomers. They were mainly Silent Generation, which meant that we faced a rather larger generation gap than our successors would -- the difference in social belief and attitudes between those who reached adulthood before the social movements of the 1960s and those, like us, who grew up after those movements was...well, pretty huge, honestly. It often felt more like a two-generation gap than a regular one, as if our parents were really our grandparents in terms of how attuned they were to the world we were growing up in.

As the kids of the Baby Bust, we grew up in a weirdly empty world. There were entire wings of my elementary and junior high school empty and closed off when I was a student there -- they had been added on for the Baby Boomers, but now there weren't enough students to fill them. The schools were so underpopulated that they were constantly being consolidated when we came through -- entire elementary schools were literally being shut down for lack of need. All those idyllic suburban Boomer childhood memories about things like hanging out with all the other kids on your block until the dinner bell rang or whatever were pretty alien to us, because even if you lived in that kind of suburb, chances were that you just wouldn't have any other kids anywhere near your age on your block.

Yes to the "latchkey kid" generation, and yes to the "divorced parents" generation, but to me, the most important aspect of growing up GenX was this:

We saw very little advertising or marketing directed at us until we were well into our twenties. Even the drat Star Wars toys were primarily marketed to teen and adult collectors.

I often see it claimed that a big part of what made the Boomers the Boomers was their experience of representing such a large youth demographic that for the first time, there was a concerted effort to market things to teenagers.

When I was a teenager? Teen things were all still being marketed to Boomers, because not only did they outnumber us so greatly, but they also never really seemed to consider themselves to have grown-up. They were the eternal youth market, and by the time they finally resigned themselves to being middle-aged? Well, by then, everything was being marketed to their Millennial kids, the next giant generation down the pike.

It's probably one of the major reasons we wound up so pathetically cynical and nihilistic, honestly, so politically-demotivated and prone to point and laugh, even at those things we really ought to have been taking seriously. It's because when advertising and marketing isn't aimed at you, it's much easier to see right through it, and easy then to come to the conclusion that everything is fundamentally bullshit.

On the whole, Gen X was pretty okay with gay people, though. The Boomer/GenX line is the point at which polls show the homophobia rates start plummeting, and support for things like marriage equality spiking up. So at least we got that right. Really, it's just about the only thing my tiny, lame-rear end generation got right.

How much do you relate with the characters in this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLGrXGEMOSo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is satire right?

I like the part where she printed her name and then signed it. Just your average 12 year old who cutely is aping corporate letters without realizing why that happens. Its so cute and innocent and totally real.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

I'm inclined to think this is fake because what does Milo even do now? I feel like I haven't heard anything about that guy since he defended grooming.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is satire right?
It's Laura Loomer. So no, but it's also not real.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

There certainly are plenty that are in influential positions, but they seem slow to rise into leadership positions in the govt sphere. Maybe boomers have just been exceptionally tenacious about not giving up power, but I think a few of the other things people brought up (eg. apathy towards what was a particularly intransigent system when they were coming of age, having a lot of their plans in life derailed by two major recessions, etc.).

Like I remember when boomers were 30-40 and they were way ahead economically of your average Xer at 30-40. Like they are barely even comparable outside of maybe people in the trades or way up in business/finance.

Semi-related, as an observation, by far the most devout conspiracy types I've run into are Xers. Locally anti-vax stuff is huge and specifically among gen xers and older millennials. I know it predates them, but growing up with all the CIA scandals, Nixon, Iran Contra, etc. in recent cultural memory definitely bred a really profound distrust of the establishment.

Kevin McCarthy is a gen x-er. So is judge rape and judge stolen-seat. I guess they're all Republicans so maybe that is a caveat you're making (progressive or leftist leadership or democratic leadership? But I think you're fundamentally wrong. The governor of California is a gen xer. So is the governor of Illinois. I mean. Give me metrics and I'll look harder. But your point seems to be wrong. You're falling for a narrative that is fundamentally meaningless (e.g., the great demographic force of generations).

And in five years you'll be even wronger. As the boomers age out, the gen x demo is poised to move in. It's currently transitioning. I'll be real surprised if 2024 rolls around and there are more people under 40 in leadership than people between 45 and 65.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 23, 2019

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Props to the ABC intern who chose that still.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

Huh, I had no idea efforts to make the ERA were still active. It seems like even tho it was voted down in VA’s committee there’s still a chance it can pass?

Well the problem with it is that it's past the deadline for it to become an actual amendment. There's been some movement to get the deadline removed but it's been ignored by congress.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

STAC Goat posted:

I like the part where she printed her name and then signed it. Just your average 12 year old who cutely is aping corporate letters without realizing why that happens. Its so cute and innocent and totally real.

Also I'm not even sure cursive is still taught to children because I know that certainly is something olds complain about now so isn't that just very odd that they will sign in two writing styles.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

xrunner posted:

Kevin McCarthy is a gen x-er. So is judge rape and judge stolen-seat. I guess they're all Republicans so maybe that is a caveat you're making (progressive or leftist leadership? But I can think you're fundamentally wrong. The governor of California is a gen xer. So is the governor of Illinois. I mean. Give me metrics and I'll look harder. But your point seems to be wrong. You're falling for a narrative that is fundamentally meaningless (e.g., the great demographic force of generations).

Judiciary skews younger because it's the one area where there is an external motivation to put younger people in power.

IMO your experience as a californian is heavily influencing your perspective as they have done a surprisingly good job of tossing out a lot of weird old boomers out of power. Similarly wealth in california is concentrated in much younger hands than the rest of the country. In terms of national politics at the top level, boomers have a vice grip on the levers of power. 'Since 1981, the average age of representatives and senators has jumped from 49 and 53, respectively, to 57 and 61 [in 2018]'

Like I'm fully not saying that there are no X politicians in influential positions, just that they seem to be lagging significantly behind. Probably the vast majority of that is boomer's not giving up power, but I'm curious about the other factors involved.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Peacoffee posted:

High school class of ‘09 chiming in to say that my teachers would retroactively question properly cited sources if they later learned it had come from “the internet”.

Thank you California public school system

e: oh, and “Weakeepeedia” is not the same thing as an encyclopedia, that was hammered in.

I still think of Wikipedia as "great for casual learning about subjects I have no prior experience with, but actual papers require clicking down to and through the references links and go from there".

Which, honestly, is really not that different from the 60s-era Encyclopaedia Britannica set my parents have, with the exception my teachers would've been far more lenient had I cited from those.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is satire right?

Someone’s probably prancing her, Little Billy’s Letters-style.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Judiciary skews younger because it's the one area where there is an external motivation to put younger people in power.

IMO your experience as a californian is heavily influencing your perspective as they have done a surprisingly good job of tossing out a lot of weird old boomers out of power. Similarly wealth in california is concentrated in much younger hands than the rest of the country. In terms of national politics at the top level, boomers have a vice grip on the levers of power. 'Since 1981, the average age of representatives and senators has jumped from 49 and 53, respectively, to 57 and 61 [in 2018]'

Like I'm fully not saying that there are no X politicians in influential positions, just that they seem to be lagging significantly behind. Probably the vast majority of that is boomer's not giving up power, but I'm curious about the other factors involved.

As boomers age out x-ers are poised to take the reigns. It's not going to jump. Right now xers are late 30s to late 50s. Prime leadership age is 50s to 70s. We're in the transition now. Come back in five years and x-ers will be more represented as boomers fall out more. It's not skipping a generation.

Edit: IMO your experience as a californian is heavily influencing your perspective as they have done a surprisingly good job of tossing out a lot of weird old boomers out of power.Also - LOL - California just got rid of Boxer (for an x-er) and Gov Brown (for an x-er). It's just the respective ages of your chosen demographics. Boomers are at the top of their careers, holding the power they've gathered. X-ers are consolidating and preparing to move into those positions as they open. You're really asking "why do 38-58 year olds wield less influence than 60-80 year olds..." It's how the whole career arc works since like forever. In 20 years you're going to have geriatrics born in the mid 60s and early 70s clinging to power (if it all doesn't fall down first)

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 23, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I still think of Wikipedia as "great for casual learning about subjects I have no prior experience with, but actual papers require clicking down to and through the references links and go from there".

Which, honestly, is really not that different from the 60s-era Encyclopaedia Britannica set my parents have, with the exception my teachers would've been far more lenient had I cited from those.

Teachers should be teaching kids not to cite encyclopedias for that reason—they’re meant as summaries of basic knowledge and contain little of value for serious learning beyond a place to start further research.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the trick was to pretend to use the sources wikipedia used.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Carlosologist posted:

Margaret Ransone
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Ransone
I love the "god created us all equal" from the party of trump, a man who believes genes are destiny.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

the trick was to pretend to use the sources wikipedia used.

:hmmyes:

That or make up a convincing one for a name. I did that when I was a little poo poo Sophomore. Not proud of it

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Let me ask the important rhetorical question: Why does WaPo print articles from this shitmole?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Both tweets about this are getting ratio'd so I guess at least twitter people think this interview is stupid.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Let me ask the important rhetorical question: Why does WaPo print articles from this shitmole?

American media poo poo, so what?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
True Xennials copy and pasted from Microsoft’s Encarta CD-ROM encyclopedia

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

whydirt posted:

There was a brief window of time when I knew that this was possible and my teachers did not and it was glorious.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

whydirt posted:

I remember these but I never used the Encyclopedia, I mostly just played that bizarre castle maze game that came with it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I hate NBC more than Fox News at this point. They are way more subversive.

Gaunab posted:

Both tweets about this are getting ratio'd so I guess at least twitter people think this interview is stupid.

I have no idea how this is playing in the real world, but at least on social media people are really pissed off at the media and rightfully so, almost more than the kids at this point. The faster people realize the media is actively bad and not the lauded Forth Estate that they egotistically proclaim the better.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

TulliusCicero posted:

:hmmyes:

That or make up a convincing one for a name. I did that when I was a little poo poo Sophomore. Not proud of it

The secret is that before widespread internet you could always just make sure the book was checked out from the library and claim whatever the gently caress you wanted as long as it sounded good.

Which sounds a lot like politicians!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

I remember these but I never used the Encyclopedia, I mostly just played that bizarre castle maze game that came with it.

that game ruled.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Do a book report on a book no ones actually read and just make the story up wholesale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Is there anything about this PR campaign that's going to be helpful to Nick himself?

It's important to his parents, and the school, and the diocese, and the PR firm. It's important to try and damage control and spin to make the responsible adults look better.

But wouldn't it be best for Nick Sandmann to stay quiet and let the story die as soon as possible? It's not going to affect his education and by the time he starts his career nobody will care any more.

Unless he personally wants to start a political career a la the Parkland kids. What are the odds of that?