Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

They really don’t have a loving clue.

It would be comical if it were happening to someone else.

They didn't specify sick letters getting sent out, but if they actually investigate there's no way at least a few people don't get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

They didn't specify sick letters getting sent out, but if they actually investigate there's no way at least a few people don't get them.

I’m not saying there aren’t some buddy-fuckers who 100% deserve an abuse letter, but not only is “oops congress says no money, you’re not getting paid but you still have to come to work” not a valid excuse, but the recovery from shutdown in the past has actively rewarded scammers with free paid leave.

This is a problem 100% of their own making, and they honestly think they’re completely blameless. Any other place of business would be staring down a 100% worker walk-out in a few days, and these chucklefucks have the gall to try and crack the loving whip.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Maybe this is a stupid question (I hope it is), but when the shutdown ends people will be receiving their backpay, right?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yes

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Per posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question (I hope it is), but when the shutdown ends people will be receiving their backpay, right?

If you worked they have to repay you. The furloughed people will most likely get back pay as well but it's far from guaranteed.

:allears:

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Holy jesus, take some sick time

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

aunt jemima posted:

Holy jesus, take some sick time

I banged in today which obviously does nothing to my balance. I was trying to not bang in during the shutdown but feel pretty lovely today. I'm sure I'll end up testifying in front of congress or something equally dumb because of it.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

well gently caress at least I have more comp time than you

(non furloughed non air traffic controller)

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

fknlo posted:

I banged in today which obviously does nothing to my balance. I was trying to not bang in during the shutdown but feel pretty lovely today. I'm sure I'll end up testifying in front of congress or something equally dumb because of it.

That’s going to cost you your sup promotion

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TangoFox posted:

That’s going to cost you your sup promotion

poo poo's already on hold because of the shutdown anyway.

NATCA has sued the government for not paying us for work performed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
gently caress yeah, we're finally getting some free food this upcoming week. Shutdown status: worth it.

e: going on a date to the museum today and found out that I get free admission as a federal employee! Who needs a paycheck? Let the welfare rain down upon me!

fknlo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 20, 2019

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
You guys sell any testicles/sperm yet?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TangoFox posted:

You guys sell any testicles/sperm yet?

Nope. Some church group brought us cans of soup and granola bars though!

e: I'm thankful that they're thinking about us and whatever, but take that poo poo to an actual homeless shelter. Controllers being controllers that poo poo was all gone from the OM desk in like 30 minutes.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 20, 2019

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So it is safe to fly right now with the controllers poor and stressed out?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

So it is safe to fly right now with the controllers poor and stressed out?

TCAS take the wheel?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Welp, my coworker was told that we don't deserve to be paid while she was handing out "end the shutdown" NATCA stuff at Seatac the other day.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Walking past the OM desk and there were a bunch of sups sitting around and I heard "they had 3x more sick outs than normal yesterday". I didn't hear who, but :getin:

e: it was TSA.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 21, 2019

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012
At our facility we've gotten food from XOJET, United, CATCA, and supposedly from a bunch of old rich women. Im not a fan of not getting paid and now I'm getting fat from all the food during this furlough.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How much time do you think Trump's private jet is going to spend mysteriously told to hold "for traffic" after that fucker finally gets removed from the White House? I'm going to guess "a lot."

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I don’t think we’ll feel the need to delay prisoner transport aircraft

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Iucounu posted:

I don’t think we’ll feel the need to delay prisoner transport aircraft

:iceburn:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"N757AF re-cleared direct GITMO, expect further clearance in 20 to life, bitch!"

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

To all the controllers working without pay: Thank you all for being dedicated to keeping the dots from touching, and I hope everything works out OK for you guys in the end.

I heard an interview with an LAX Center controller (and NATCA VP) today. The interviewer was half-pressing for "is this a safety crisis?" and the rep said "anytime we're not 100% focused on our jobs it's a bad thing." He really nailed the pride, professionalism, and dedication to safety in your industry.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Just out of curiosity does anyone know how many people work in ORD tracon/tower at any given point in time? Also about how many slices of real Chicago deep dish* will the average controller eat?

*Giordanos. Ginos is also acceptable.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

KodiakRS posted:

Giordano's is good but if you really cared, you'd order Lou Malnati's.

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone else get that email regarding GEFTA? We basically get free leave now until the shutdown ends?

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

SeaborneClink posted:

Giordano's is good but if you really cared, you'd order Lou Malnati's.

Ugh Malnati's is always so soupy...never been much of a fan.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheHouseofM posted:

Anyone else get that email regarding GEFTA? We basically get free leave now until the shutdown ends?

Maybe. It does seem like OPM is telling how to end this poo poo if that's how it's interpreted in the end.

e: I got a $300 paycheck! Saved!

e2: getting emails from the central region confirming that leave is free. Let's end this poo poo. I can post the text if anyone's local/region is as bad as mine and they aren't lucky enough to still be on the lists from an old facility.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 24, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s not exactly hidden information.

“While excepted employees have the option to use their paid leave (i.e., establish entitlement to paid leave to be paid after the lapse ends), they are not required to use leave to cover periods of authorized absence from work,” Margaret Weichert, acting OPM director, wrote in a Jan. 23 memo. “Instead, they may choose to remain in the default status of being furloughed during any such authorized absence during the lapse.”

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It’s not exactly hidden information.

“While excepted employees have the option to use their paid leave (i.e., establish entitlement to paid leave to be paid after the lapse ends), they are not required to use leave to cover periods of authorized absence from work,” Margaret Weichert, acting OPM director, wrote in a Jan. 23 memo. “Instead, they may choose to remain in the default status of being furloughed during any such authorized absence during the lapse.”

I'm just assuming everyone else's local is as bad at passing on info as mine.

https://twitter.com/girlsreallyrule/status/1088513436529688582

https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/1088432465478369282

https://twitter.com/BCAppelbaum/status/1088441483177459712

You should not feel bad if you're using the free leave.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

KodiakRS posted:

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how many people work in ORD tracon/tower at any given point in time? Also about how many slices of real Chicago deep dish* will the average controller eat?

I'll put you in contact with someone.. PM Incoming

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I'm just assuming everyone else's local is as bad at passing on info as mine.

https://twitter.com/girlsreallyrule/status/1088513436529688582

https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/1088432465478369282

https://twitter.com/BCAppelbaum/status/1088441483177459712

You should not feel bad if you're using the free leave.

Take everything I said upthread into account when I say “lol gently caress that place, YOLO.”

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...impression=true

Woof.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

loving finally! :getin:

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1088818440322908160

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1088821477431017474
:getin: :getin: :getin:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 25, 2019

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

The second tweet was removed. What did it say?

E: vv ah, ok.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 25, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Probably the one claiming DCA was closed when it was easy to see planes both departing and arriving

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Flow control into New York?

Unprecedented.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Probably the one claiming DCA was closed when it was easy to see planes both departing and arriving

While no one has any clue what a GDP is, bad reporting along those lines doesn't necessarily hurt. FLIGHTS TO LAGUARDIA SHUT DOWN is way more impactful to public perception, and that's what it's going to take to end this poo poo.

e:

https://twitter.com/stevenportnoy/status/1088853545078718464

ONE morning of publicized delays.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 25, 2019

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Hah! 2-3 weeks. Then another shutdown. Enough to get our back pay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

its all nice on rice posted:

Hah! 2-3 weeks. Then another shutdown. Enough to get our back pay?

If it ends we should get some pay pretty quickly I think? I'm not counting on it right now. He's 30 minutes late for his announcement and you know he's watching Fox News and they're trying to talk him out of it. If it does end I think we get an emergency declaration before he tries to pull this poo poo again.