Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Fair enough, I retract my statement of surprise. Turns out Mamoswine is way more popular than I imagined. :shrug:

Looking over the list of Community Day choices is interesting:
Pikachu (Surf)
Dratini (Draco Meteor)
Bulbasaur (Frenzy Plant)
Mareep (Dragon Pulse)
Charmander (Blast Burn)
Larvitar (Smack Down)
Squirtle (Hydro Cannon)
Eevee (Last Resort)
Chikorita (Frenzy Plant)
Beldum (Meteor Mash)
Cyndaquil (Blast Burn)
Totodile (Hydro Cannon)
Swinub (???)

Really aside from locking into the worst generation of starters for three months it's a fantastic list. Loads of super popular Pokemon, lots of powerful ones, some with fantastic Shiny versions like Mareep and Beldum.

Edit: Gonna lose my drat mind when we inevitably get Snivy day. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BGrifter posted:

Fair enough, I retract my statement of surprise. Turns out Mamoswine is way more popular than I imagined. :shrug:

Pikachu (Surf)
Dratini (Draco Meteor)
Bulbasaur (Frenzy Plant)
Mareep (Dragon Pulse)
Charmander (Blast Burn)
Larvitar (Smack Down)
Squirtle (Hydro Cannon)
Eevee (Last Resort)
Chikorita (Frenzy Plant)
Beldum (Meteor Mash)
Cyndaquil (Blast Burn)
Totodile (Hydro Cannon)
Swinub (???)

Really aside from locking into the worst generation of starters for three months it's a fantastic list. Loads of super popular Pokemon, lots of powerful ones, some with fantastic Shiny versions like Mareep and Beldum.

Edit: Gonna lose my drat mind when we inevitably get Snivy day. :woop:

We all like what pokemon we like I guess.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Kinda sad it isn't Slakoth just because it's V Day and he has a heart butt. A HEART BUTT.

drat I wish when he was your buddy you could carry him like a baby, or he cling to you like a backpack.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Swinub is an extremely common nuisance pokemon in my area and has been since gen 2 first came out but at least I'll be able to do something with the massive pile of candy now.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Swinub is an extremely common nuisance pokemon in my area and has been since gen 2 first came out but at least I'll be able to do something with the massive pile of candy now.

Oh hey, good point. I didn't even think to look but I have 1065 Swinub candy. :stare:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cowslips Warren posted:

Kinda sad it isn't Slakoth

this except Bagon

of course they break pattern just in time to keep that out of my hands. again.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Psion posted:

this except Bagon

of course they break pattern just in time to keep that out of my hands. again.

I'm always sad it's neither Bagon nor Ralts. Maybe April will be Ralts to debut Gallade?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Ralts or Bagon would be amazing. Personally I'd love to see a Gligar day, even if he'd probably be mediocre gameplay-wise.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
like I think the rollout of sinnoh has been thoroughly mediocre compared to previous generation releases but if their plan for the remaining sinnoh stone evolves is to drop them one at a time, once a month on a community day, their plan sucks even more than their previous plans

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
I really want ralts to get gallade released with it's CD, and both forms get a fairy fast move. Getting a new Pokemon that dominates dragons would be nice.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Another 7 day legendary reward, another normal Suicune. Only got one chance left to get Ho-Oh before the end of the month. I wouldn't mind if these repeat legendaries were shiny, since I don't have a single shiny legendary, but no.

Managed to get two Groudons with my new raid group this fortnight at least, so that's nice. Just need to get Kyogre before it rotates out again.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Woke up this morning and found there is a brand new pokestop in front of my house!

Endless gifts and pokeballs, hooray!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
It's year of the Piggy. In the 2019 fireworks splash screen you see electric types (I would think Fire types more than electric types would be associated with fireworks, but for some reason Pokemon seems to like having electric types with fireworks and new year countdowns), mascots, and two of the currently available porcine Pokemon (porcemon). Tepig would probably be a better choice for Pig Year but it's not in game yet. Spoink and Grumpig are a boring two-stage Pokemon no one remembers. Mamoswine is a big tough 3rd stage boy, a new evolution for a species already ingame, and he's seasonally appropriate for the whole of the northern hemisphere plus all of Asia as well as large Asian populations in the southern hemisphere in Australia.

I long for Swinub Day so I can find Swinub and see their little feet and big smiles when they do their animations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I don't really care too much, though Bagon and Slakoth would have been nice as I don't have Salamence or Slaking yet, as long as I can catch a shiny,

BGrifter posted:

Pikachu (Surf)
Dratini (Draco Meteor)
Bulbasaur (Frenzy Plant)
Mareep (Dragon Pulse)
Charmander (Blast Burn)
Larvitar (Smack Down)
Squirtle (Hydro Cannon)
Eevee (Last Resort)
Chikorita (Frenzy Plant)
Beldum (Meteor Mash)

Cyndaquil (Blast Burn)
Totodile (Hydro Cannon)
Swinub (???)

I've participated in every community day except Pikachu, and bolded are the only ones I caught a shiny, while the Dratini day I saw a grand total of 4 Dratini in 90 minutes of trying. The RNG on shiny spawns is just stupid.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 23, 2019

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Kinda sad it isn't Slakoth just because it's V Day and he has a heart butt. A HEART BUTT.

drat I wish when he was your buddy you could carry him like a baby, or he cling to you like a backpack.

Female Pikachu has a heart tail. Are you suggesting Feb community day should be Pikachu with a hat :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

NTRabbit posted:

I've participated in every community day except Pikachu, and bolded are the only ones I caught a shiny, while the Dratini day I saw a grand total of 4 Dratini in 90 minutes of trying. The RNG on shiny spawns is just stupid.

Go somewhere different if your spawns are bad. Last community day I went to a park for about an hour, and the spawn rate there kind of sucked. Decided to go to a mall instead and there would be points where I would be surrounded by up to 5 totodile at a time.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

BGrifter posted:

Oh hey, good point. I didn't even think to look but I have 1065 Swinub candy. :stare:

Exactly. I already have lots of strong piloswines and mamoswine will be useful, and I have over 800 candies as well, so if nothing else, I will be able to evolve those for the special move.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

seiferguy posted:

Go somewhere different if your spawns are bad. Last community day I went to a park for about an hour, and the spawn rate there kind of sucked. Decided to go to a mall instead and there would be points where I would be surrounded by up to 5 totodile at a time.

After the Dratini non event I went to a different spot for the next community, and now I go there every time (except Beldum where I went to the beach) because spawn rates have been fine for all the other days, I caught like a hundred Squirtle, Charizard, Totodile, Squirtle, and Cyndaquil each, I just didn't get a single shiny, because shiny spawn RNG is complete bullshit. There's people in my new raid group who go to all the same places I do and catch shinys all the time, even on regular days, but I get next to nothing.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 23, 2019

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
EU goon here, added my friend code to the list as well. I played when this launched but some early update made it so I couldn't play on my old phone anymore. But since I got a new one now I am back at it and hoo boy, of course I had to get back in right in the middle of winter. So I caught up on the thread and learned a few things thanks to it, amongst others that apparently all those pokemon I caught in the first month are pretty valuable (Too bad I turned any duplicates into candy before I learned about that).

I am mostly surprised that people in my local area still seem to be fairly active. I took over a gym and like five minutes later someone put a 150cp pokemon in it, and gyms are changing hands at least once per day. Guess it helps that for not being a very big village we got a lot of pokemon stops and such around, including one area that has two gyms and a couple stops inside the same small park. It's too cold right now to try that anyway, but does the trick of putting a few of those modules or whatever they're called in a bunch of stops that are right next to each other still work?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

seiferguy posted:

It's hard to do if you live in a rural area :(

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NTRabbit posted:

I don't really care too much, though Bagon and Slakoth would have been nice as I don't have Salamence or Slaking yet, as long as I can catch a shiny,

The rate of shinies on community day is so high that I would go as far to say that RNG is not really a factor. It's a 1 in 20 spawn rate, and if you play properly at a fast but leisurely pace you should be encountering 100 or more per hour.

An example of "bad" luck vs "good luck" is something like getting 7 shinies vs getting like 17. Getting no shinies or next to no shinies is the result of being in an area that doesn't spawn pokemon, playing incorrectly, and or not playing for the whole 3 hours.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

Greader posted:

EU goon here, ...

Yo just wanted to give you a shout out, finally hatched my first Mantyke from one of your eggs.

I need more goon friends, I’m on that pilot medal grind.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Someone in my area kicked me out of the gym yesterday and filled half the slots with accounts that were all obviously theirs. :mad:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

BabyRyoga posted:

The rate of shinies on community day is so high that I would go as far to say that RNG is not really a factor. It's a 1 in 20 spawn rate, and if you play properly at a fast but leisurely pace you should be encountering 100 or more per hour.

An example of "bad" luck vs "good luck" is something like getting 7 shinies vs getting like 17. Getting no shinies or next to no shinies is the result of being in an area that doesn't spawn pokemon, playing incorrectly, and or not playing for the whole 3 hours.
I caught ~100 Cyndaquils with a single shiny and ~160 Beldums with a single shiny. I didn't really try for Cyndaquil day but I'd be willing to believe something's messed up with shiny spawns.

Themata posted:

Someone in my area kicked me out of the gym yesterday and filled half the slots with accounts that were all obviously theirs. :mad:
People who use multiple phones to take and/or populate gyms are shitheads.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 23, 2019

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I caught 2 weather boosted Kyogres today and I'm usually bad at catching them. They're both mid 70s IVs. Oh well. :unsmith:

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Still chasing the shiny green dinosaur. I think we've done about 15 trio raids on our own now and have one so far. At least we got the kid her shiny Kyogre early on so we don't need to raid the murder whale too. The triple dust will help get the Groudon and machan teams leveled up for whenever dialga comes out.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Do we have to do the pvp during the three hours? I'm supposed to be catching then!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Everything makes more sense when you assume no one at Niantic plays the game at all and they push stuff out the second they finish it, no testing needed, they can just patch it later.

facile arrow
Mar 27, 2005
DaStampede we just hit best friends. Wanted to give you a heads up so you can pop an egg.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Do we have to do the pvp during the three hours? I'm supposed to be catching then!

No, you can get the 5 stones at any time on the same day.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I have been aggressively hunting Luckies since the tail end of the 3-hour December community day window. Here is the result:

https://imgur.com/gallery/pTadu5z

Methods:

1) Soliciting trades with random people gathered for raids in popular areas
2) Trading with SO/family/old friends
3) Trading with new friends
4) Soliciting trades with random people at gaming/anime conventions
5) Trading with self for some of the boring/pointless stuff

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Auxiliary Treats posted:

Yo just wanted to give you a shout out, finally hatched my first Mantyke from one of your eggs.

I need more goon friends, I’m on that pilot medal grind.

Glad I already could be of some help. I actually am liking this whole gift system, especially getting to see a stop from a whole different country/continent. Though it also makes me wonder how the recipient feels like when I send them greetings from the local graveyard :v:

Actually, what are some of the weirder/sillier stops people have seen, either themselves or through gifts? My local area has a bunch of strange ones since I guess the Ingress crowd just took pictures of anything that stood out, my favorite is still the gym called Psycho-Disk (Basically a big disk with the circular hypnotic pattern you see in cartoons and such)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I got a shiny Houndour and I am loving pumped, yall.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BabyRyoga posted:

I caught 0 shinies in areas that spawned hundreds of the community day pokemon, the exact same areas and exact same time and method of playing as when I caught 2 shiny Mareep, 3 Larvitar, 3 Chikorita, and 4 Eevee, so no, you're flat out wrong.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 24, 2019

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NTRabbit posted:

I caught 0 shinies in areas that spawned hundreds of the community day pokemon so no, you're flat out wrong

Maybe your account is shadowbanned.

Every community day, i've hit the same numbers. Everyone i've brought with me and taught my method has had similar results. Learn the quick catch, and next community move around for the whole three hours while constantly moving. Throw one ball at each pokemon you encounter unless you run out of new ones to click on. You should encounter between 200 and 350 of the featured pokemon, and I guarantee you'll get around 10 shinies.

Unless you are indeed shadowbanned.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BabyRyoga posted:

Maybe your account is shadowbanned.

Every community day, i've hit the same numbers. Everyone i've brought with me and taught my method has had similar results. Learn the quick catch, and next community move around for the whole three hours while constantly moving. Throw one ball at each pokemon you encounter unless you run out of new ones to click on. You should encounter between 200 and 350 of the featured pokemon, and I guarantee you'll get around 10 shinies.

Unless you are indeed shadowbanned.

I am not shadowbanned, and I've never been shadowbanned. The city wide facebook group I'm in has similar polarised reports at the end of every community day, some people playing for an hour and getting lots of shinies, others playing for 3 hours and getting none. The shiny spawns are broken.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 24, 2019

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NTRabbit posted:

I am not shadowbanned, and I've never been shadowbanned. The city wide facebook group I'm in has similar polarised reports at the end of every community day, some people playing for an hour and getting lots of shinies, others playing for 3 hours and getting none. The shiny spawns are broken.

So you are basically convinced the game is bugged, or that something is causing different players to get different shiny rates.

My own personal experiences (out of over a dozen trials at this point), as well as all statistical data available on the internet suggests that going multiple community days while playing efficiently and still getting no shinies is basically impossible. If you reach 200 encounters, even getting 3 is like a 98%+ chance of success. If you open your dex right now, how many Totodile does it say you have seen?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BabyRyoga posted:

So you are basically convinced the game is bugged, or that something is causing different players to get different shiny rates.

My own personal experiences (out of over a dozen trials at this point), as well as all statistical data available on the internet suggests that going multiple community days while playing efficiently and still getting no shinies is basically impossible. If you reach 200 encounters, even getting 3 is like a 98%+ chance of success. If you open your dex right now, how many Totodile does it say you have seen?

My personal experience demonstrates otherwise, and I'm not the only one.

Seen 100, and the vast majority of those would have been on community day, as only the grass starters appear in this area normally.

I've seen 107 Beldum, and I can guarantee all of those were on community day because I hadn't seen it in the wild before then, and haven't seen it since, and I got 4 shiny there.

When they had the regionals hatching from 7km eggs for a week or so, I hatched more Kangaskhan than any other regional (Something like 5 or 6 Kangaskhan, 2 Tauros, 1 Farfetch'd, 0 Mr Mime) despite them having spawned up and down my street in Australia since 2016. The answer is Niantic fucks up most of it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 24, 2019

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NTRabbit posted:

My personal experience demonstrates otherwise, and I'm not the only one.

Seen 100, and the vast majority of those would have been on community day, as only the grass starters appear in this area normally.

I've seen 107 Beldum, and I can guarantee all of those were on community day because I hadn't seen it in the wild before then, and haven't seen it since, and I got 4 shiny there.

Statistics state that given 107 Beldum, you would have roughly 60% chance to get 4 and 45% chance to get 5. The numbers fit perfectly there providing you didn't see any of those during the december weekend (which had different shiny rates outside of the 3 hour period).

Let's say 85 of those 100 Totodiles were on community day. You should have had like a 93% chance of at least 1 shiny, and around 60% chance to get 3. Either there is some kind of bug, or you were extremely unlucky that day. It's hard to tell; you very well could have encountered 200 and gotten like 7 in the next 100.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Also dont forget Gambler's Folley or whatever its called