Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phanatic posted:

This stuff is good.
don't mix it with energy drinks, my ex and i did that once when we had to get hammered and wired for moving him out of his apartment and it was not great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
also Tim McVeigh counts as a neo-nazi and the OKC bombing killed over 170 people and wounded more than 680

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Also, apparently pine needle tea is a real naturalist/hippie sort of Thing even in the US today.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

so what kind of medals does the Cook-Instructor Of The Ground Forces In Peacetime wear on his dress jacket

Soviet Excellent Cook's Badge (note the Field Kitchen):

Edit to add:

Soviet Excellent Bakers had a different badge:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hell yeah

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

it is no longer illegal for me to walk around and live in all but a few odious little southern towns, so i count the 21st century as a win

My paternal grandpa couldn't get married anywhere east of Chicago or south of Delaware because of anti-miscegenation laws, with very few exceptions. I still deal with racism still but at least I'm not illegal anymore.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Also, apparently pine needle tea is a real naturalist/hippie sort of Thing even in the US today.

I drank pine needle tea for a mountain survival course I took in high school, I had no idea people actually drank it for pleasure :psyduck:. It tasted like licking a pine tree but stronger

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

I had no idea people actually drank it for pleasure :psyduck:. It tasted like licking a pine tree but stronger
me trying to drink an IPA

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 23, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've had pine needle tea. Like sea grape wine, it seems to be a particularly common Florida hipster thing. Ordered it once at a fancy coffee/tea place on a date out of curiosity.

Honestly, I've tasted worse.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
what is a sea grape and why would you eat one

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GUNS posted:

what is a sea grape and why would you eat one

Sea grapes are a common beach plant in tropical North/Central/South America, including Florida where I am. In rustic or hipster coastal areas, some people eat the fruit of the plant, make it into jam, or ferment it into wine.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HEY GUNS posted:

she's a hero

I was about to ask if she was single

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

I was about to ask if she was single
in that she's dead: yes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
If you get the chance, there's an interesting and (as it's about Hitler's Germany) depressing book by Frank McDonough called "The Gestapo: The Myth and Reality of Hitler's Secret Police", which, among other things, points out how small the Gestapo was, and how much of their work was based on community spirit and community cooperation. It bases itself off Reinhard Mann's work "Protest und Kontrolle im Dritten Reich: Nationalsozialistische Herrschaft im Alltag einer rheinischen Grossstadt", which looked at Gestapo cases in Dusseldorf, and about how the Gestapo, which was a small organization, only about 15,000 nationally, and for the most part, not Nazi ideologues...most of them were veteran cops who got started before the Nazis came to power, focused their policing on groups "outside the National Community".

McDonough extends on that, and looks at the way the Gestapo focused its resources on outsiders...Jews, Communists, dissident religious groups and members, and a lot of what he looks at is about how personal conflicts...somebody denounces a family member or a neighbor or a boss, because they have some sort of personal problem with them, and the denouncee gets caught up in a web of investigations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Reiterpallasch posted:

oh poo poo i forgot about the military food thread in gws

It hasn't been touched in months I'm pretty sure. Damned shame.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Milo and POTUS posted:

It hasn't been touched in months I'm pretty sure. Damned shame.

Pfah. It's still fresher than most of the items sampled.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Cessna posted:

Soviet Excellent Cook's Badge (note the Field Kitchen):

Edit to add:

Soviet Excellent Bakers had a different badge:

You could get an excellence badge in anything.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Oh, wow.

Well, I live in Colorado - I know many who would qualify.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

zoux posted:

I know recency bias is a thing, I was talking with a friend about impeachment and how Johnson got impeached for basically trying to tank reconstruction and it reminded me that it sucks right now, but we've had worse. Probably even the 60's and the Civil Rights Era was worse as far as violence and individual suffering.

children are dying in concentration camps right now you loving idiot

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Epicurius posted:

If you get the chance, there's an interesting and (as it's about Hitler's Germany) depressing book by Frank McDonough called "The Gestapo: The Myth and Reality of Hitler's Secret Police", which, among other things, points out how small the Gestapo was, and how much of their work was based on community spirit and community cooperation.

Yeah the numbers on occupations vary widely but are overall large:

quote:

the recommendation of 20 to 25 counterinsurgents per 1,000 residents appears to be based at least in part on his observations that British forces in Northern Ireland and Malaya peaked at about 20 per 1,000 residents, and that international forces in Bosnia and Kosovo reached levels between 20 and 25 per 1,000.3 As Quinlivan noted, however, those cases represent only part of the scale. History also includes cases such as the postwar occupation of Germany, where successful stability operations were mounted with only 2.2 security forces per 1,000 residents. In contrast, the counterinsurgents under French command in Algeria peaked at nearly 60 per 1,000 residents, and the Russians committed more than 150 soldiers per 1,000 residents in Chechnya in 2003.

There were never more than 32k-ish Gestapo in a country of 64-million plus, so the regime depended massively on cooperation.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

children are dying in concentration camps right now you loving idiot

I'm not sure what your intentions are with this post, but if you want to show that zoux's statement is wrong I'm not sure you are looking at the correct variable. People dying in 2018 is bad, but to determine if present conditions are better or worse than they were in the 60s, the variable of interest is going to be the annual rate of change of deaths in concentration camps. Unfortunately I'm not sure we have good data on the subject for every year so we have to turn to anecdotal evidence rather than calculate precise statistics.

A few relevant anecdotes on deaths in concentration camps and on the Mexican border, mostly pulled from Wikipedia:

From 1898 Indian children were frequently compelled to attend boarding schools. Known for harsh discipline and cruel instructors, children often suffered severe emotional trauma. "The 1928 Meriam Report noted that infectious disease was often widespread at the schools due to malnutrition, overcrowding, poor sanitary conditions, and students weakened by overwork. The report said that death rates for Native American students were six and a half times higher than for other ethnic groups." The schools remained in operation until 1978.

Between 1848 and 1928 597 Mexicans were lynched, mostly along the southern border.

From 1942 to 1946 1,862 Japanese died in internment camps.

In July 1955, 88 Mexicans died of heat stroke during the process of being deported during Operation Wetback. Mexican migrants were routinely dumped across the border many kilometers from shelter or water during the 1950s and other deaths probably occurred during and after processing.

Between 1994 and 2012 David Androff estimated over 5,000 Mexicans died crossing the border through the Sonoran desert.

From the late 1990s until 2016 Sheriff Joe Arpaio lost 15 wrongful death lawsuits regarding his tent city jail in Phoenix Arizona. The jail was known for its harsh conditions including the use of chain gangs.

Does this sound like a justification for current conditions? It is not meant to be. However I think it is always worthwhile to maintain perspective. There is value in seeing what the long term trends are like, and positioning ourselves within the context of greater events. It's import though not to despair, and looking back on how far we've come I have a hard time not feeling optimistic. Of course even when the long term trends are good, things can still be going wrong in the short term. Know that we've already faced and succeeded against far worse problems gives me courage that we can solve the ones facing us today.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Well said. While the world is a gently caress, it is important to realize that today is the best day so far, and tomorrow is better than yesterday. In pretty much all ”human suffering” metrics.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vahakyla posted:

While the world is a gently caress, it is important to realize that today is the best day so far, and tomorrow is better than yesterday. In pretty much all ”human suffering” metrics.
But this isn't automatic. History has no goals and no process, which is why things only get better and remain better if you continually work for them. There's no such thing as "winning" here, just solving new problems as they arise. Crooked timber of humanity, etc etc.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

HEY GUNS posted:

But this isn't automatic. History has no goals and no process, which is why things only get better and remain better if you continually work for them. There's no such thing as "winning" here, just solving new problems as they arise. Crooked timber of humanity, etc etc.

Of course. While the good fight never ends, it is still working.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Don Gato posted:

My paternal grandpa couldn't get married anywhere east of Chicago or south of Delaware because of anti-miscegenation laws, with very few exceptions. I still deal with racism still but at least I'm not illegal anymore.

Mississippi law before Loving v Virginia would have rendered my wife and I both liable for a prison term of up to ten years (plus the dissolution of said marriage). A good 60% of Mississippi Republicans would be just fine with bringing that back as of 2011 -

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/04/mississippi-republicans/349433/

Why yes, we did decide we'd be better off living together in the UK instead of there, why do you ask.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ulmont posted:

There were never more than 32k-ish Gestapo in a country of 64-million plus, so the regime depended massively on cooperation.

Bearing in mind it's not only the Gestapo who were explicitly tasked with looking for subversion, mind you, they were just the ones who'd take you away in the middle of the night. For every Gestapo employee there were a whole ton of blockleiters, half a million or so in fact.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tunicate posted:

yeah the grand total of their movement was in the low four digits right?

I mean, that's the thing. The number of paid up 'I've read Mein Kampf' actual no-poo poo Nazi ideologues is pretty small on either side of the Atlantic. There are a lot more vaguely racist, 'we hate Muslims and foreigners' types that are fellow travellers, though, some of whom are quite happy to give Nazi salutes etc without necessarily meaning they're literal true believer fascists. It's all a continuum and either way the actual Nazis have more influence over the far right as a whole than they used to.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This past summer I turned a corner and found a no-joke Nazi rally in the middle of Helsinki. I dunno if I've never just gone out before but I could swear they're way more visible these days than they were five years ago.

The Nordic Resistance Movement can get in the sea. They don’t seem to be splitting like their American cousins. :(

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Vahakyla posted:

Well said. While the world is a gently caress, it is important to realize that today is the best day so far, and tomorrow is better than yesterday. In pretty much all ”human suffering” metrics.

There is no guarantee that tomorrow is better than today. It can always get much, much worse.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

brugroffil posted:

There is no guarantee that tomorrow is better than today. It can always get much, much worse.

History shows that it can get worse, and when it does, people don't suddenly awaken and fight back. As outlined above, they make do get used to it, and start cracking jokes.

History also shows that through sustained effort, things have always got better - that if you work for it hard enough, you can change things for the better and that all we enjoy today is built on doing so in the past. Avoid complacency, but have hope.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Vahakyla posted:

This is some Whig History bullshit and very much not true.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Vahakyla posted:

Someone's been reading too much Hegel and Pinker

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Seeing (or at least, asserting) that there are many significant elements of the global geopolitical situation that have improved over time is not in fact Whig History. Whig History is the belief in the inevitability of that progress and also the belief that we are nearing the utopian end point of it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fangz posted:

Seeing (or at least, asserting) that there are many significant elements of the global geopolitical situation that have improved over time is not in fact Whig History. Whig History is the belief in the inevitability of that progress and also the belief that we are nearing the utopian end point of it.

' it is important to realize that today is the best day so far, and tomorrow is better than yesterday. ' - the second part of that statement is stating the inevitability of that progress.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That's one interpretation but I think a kinda uncharitable one.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Someone's been reading too much Hegel and Pinker

That doesn't sound like Heygal at all...

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
"today is better than yesterday" for who? over what time periods?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

brugroffil posted:

"today is better than yesterday" for who? over what time periods?

Each generation of weaponry and tactics have been better than all of the previous ones.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ensign Expendable posted:

You could get an excellence badge in anything.

Guards Red Banner Twice-Order-Of-Lenin Proletarian 420th Dank Kush Regiment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

feedmegin posted:

The number of paid up 'I've read Mein Kampf' actual no-poo poo Nazi ideologues is pretty small on either side of the Atlantic.

Venn diagram of "I've read Mein Kampf" with circles for "no-poo poo Nazi ideologues" and "unfortunate grad students studying the Holocaust."