Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
They could pull off the TK separation from Nagash by having the AoS TK capture their souls in canopic jars upon death or something. This would keep the Canon of the separation between the two factions. Hell, that would also allow for TK to be an Order army.

You could even faction in human units who are subservient to the lich priests and perform the rank and file roles, leaving the heavy lifting (tomb guard, ushabti, etc) to the undead portions of the army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Classic Orks and Goblins coming back for a month on made to order:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/01/20/coming-soon-made-to-order-orcs-and-goblins

That Black Ork Big Boss looks incredible

Private_Snafu
Nov 26, 2007
Thought I’d share progress on my Sylvaneth army, I’ve been working on them since a little before Christmas.

These have been a real pleasure to paint, lots of dry brushing and washes mean they come together quick.

Rest of the gallery here: https://imgur.com/gallery/ofVWDMu

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

At the end of the day Skeletons are Skeletons so you can easily run Tomb Kings as normal Death Rattle stuff with no effort.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished this Saurus Oldblood over the weekend, my fastest painted model yet. It ended up looking good but I'm kinda :geno: over the model as a whole. Especially in comparison to other Seraphon kits.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
On a whim I ordered the Gloomspite Battletome. No clue how they play at the moment, but I adore the models and would love building a little force of them if nothing else. Recommendations for initial purchases? Does anyone have their Path to Glory table?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Deified Data posted:

On a whim I ordered the Gloomspite Battletome. No clue how they play at the moment, but I adore the models and would love building a little force of them if nothing else. Recommendations for initial purchases? Does anyone have their Path to Glory table?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Awesome, thanks.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Hilariously enough, half of gloomspite stuff is out of stock on the GW store.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah I noticed that lol, I was asking in the discord earlier about my options with a Path to Glory campaign coming up - it's either wait it out and miss games or go all in with a warband that has no bodies...so basically all trolls or all squigs. Both sound fun but I'm not sure which approach to take.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Goons can relate to the grots. Spiteful creatures who fear and hate the sun and get high off various substances, possibly losing an arm in the process.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I really wanted to paint some stone.

These guys went from purchased to assembled to primed to painted in one full day of work. Really satisfying.

I love the scenic bases for these guys. If they did a pack of 'em I'd buy an entire army's worth.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

There are loads of places that do really good sculpted resin bases that look great. Some companies even do them pre painted which can be useful if you're trying to get table top ready ASAP.

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash
My FLGS stocks these and they're great. They come in most the sizes you'd need!
https://tabletop-art.de
I basically bought all the graveyard ones from the store for Malifaux.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Painted some more Skeletons

Which means I've done the full 1500pts I promised myself I'd do before moving on to some Skaven.

Here's the 1480pts of my Grand Host of Nagash from the Realm of Life that started as 4 Glaivewraith Stalkers last month, and spiralled out of control a bit.

And some of the units

Mr Boss McBones

Mrs Deadington (complete with messed up finecast face)

Senior Skullomancer

Old Man Spooks

The Inhuman Torch

Souls without Hosts

Hosts without Souls

Banhammers.

Goregoyles

I do still have Arkhan the Black and a Zombie Dragon to paint, but they're waiting for my Airbrush setup to be finished before I go anywhere near them. Those two and the remaining skeletons I have will make it to around 2500pts.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

richyp posted:

Painted some more Skeletons

Which means I've done the full 1500pts I promised myself I'd do before moving on to some Skaven.

Here's the 1480pts of my Grand Host of Nagash from the Realm of Life that started as 4 Glaivewraith Stalkers last month, and spiralled out of control a bit.

And some of the units

Mr Boss McBones

Mrs Deadington (complete with messed up finecast face)

Senior Skullomancer

Old Man Spooks

The Inhuman Torch

Souls without Hosts

Hosts without Souls

Banhammers.

Goregoyles

I do still have Arkhan the Black and a Zombie Dragon to paint, but they're waiting for my Airbrush setup to be finished before I go anywhere near them. Those two and the remaining skeletons I have will make it to around 2500pts.

Just wow. Thats all i got these are amazing. Is that a citadel blue or ankther company?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How much time in a week do you spend painting, richyp?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Wizard posted:

Just wow. Thats all i got these are amazing. Is that a citadel blue or ankther company?

Thanks. The basecoat for the blue is Thousand Sons blue it's a really nice colour with the bonus that it cover's really well, and the highlights are Baharroth Blue (I may use this more than the average person), and a dot of Ulthuan Grey here and there.

Sab669 posted:

How much time in a week do you spend painting, richyp?

Depends, usually a couple of hours in the evenings here and there depending on whether richyp jr. is alseep and/or MrsP is occupied. Let's go with 6-8hrs a week during painting season. A character will take me 1 or 2 sessions (The Vampire and the Wight King were pretty quick, maybe 2-3hrs each) and i'll paint Batteline stuff in 10's usually over 2 or 3 nights.

It's brought up a lot on the Discord about how long it takes me to paint stuff, but in summary I paint mostly with washes and glazes over white or grey primer and a large brush for pretty much everything, and use a hairdryer after every layer/wash to save a lot of time.

e.g. 10 Skeletons over 2 nights is usually:

Day 1:
Prime white
Wash Sepia : Hairdyer
Paint the metals, (VMC Gunmetal, Stipple Rhinox Hide, Stipple Troll Slayer Orange, Agrax wash, Stipple Gunmetal again)

Day 2:
Paint 1k sons blue bits
Paint any other detail color (banner colours, text etc..)
Hairdryer
Highlight (skip 2nd highlight because there's so many and :effort:)

After doing 10-20 of those I'll do something different like a character or a unit with a different set of colours e.g. the Vargheists, to break up the monotony.

Also the Graveguard took a lot longer because I was doing one colour/wash while painting characters over the same week, so I did the Vampire Lady after I'd done the metals on them, and when I did the blues on the Wight King, I also did it on them too. etc....

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I would've guessed a lot more time than that, drat.

I just finished up this Sequitor last night:

I should go back and re-do the edge highlights. Previously I just hit the cloth with some clean Khaki and it didn't pop enough; tried straight white and now it seems to be too much. But I don't want to go back because I've got 9 more of these guys to paint. I'd like to get 4 more done by this Saturday but that seems unlikely to happen.

They are honestly a very quick paint scheme but I burned myself out trying to Assembly Line my Death Guard, which are way too detailed for me / that approach so I've been reluctant to try and Assembly Line my Stormcast.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Crosspostin from the discord, whoever gets to it first. If a Loonboss on Mangler Squig has the Fight Another Day trait that lets them move after they do their weapon attacks, does that mean just the Loonboss can attack or can you attack with him, the crew, and the squigs and then move? If you can't do the latter, can you decide the order of your attacks and just save the Boss's attacks for last?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Artifacts and Command Traits are explicitly called out as only affecting the owners attacks, never the mounts or hangers on. I’m pretty sure you can choose whatever order you want for the attack sequence though.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

What's the discord link?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Plavski posted:

What's the discord link?

https://discord.gg/qmyhhy

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Much obliged

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finished up the last 3 of these guys, for a group of 4. The guy with the crow was previously finished.

All my painted Nighthaunt guys to this point:

So far I'm really digging the Sigar models even more than the 40k stuff I've done, and I like a lot of the 40k stuff. Somehow I've picked armies across both games that are a hassle to store and transport.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Got in another game of Sigmar, this time with:

Scar-Vet on Carnosaur
Trogolodon
1x 20 Saurus Warriors
3x 5 Saurus Knights
1x 10 Skinks
1x 3 Ripperdactyls

The Scar-Vet and Saurus Knights were in the Firelance Starhost battalion.

I lost pretty badly. Did good: Scar-Vet on Carnosaur, Ripperdactyls, Saurus Warriors. Did horrifically godawful: Saurus Knights, Skinks. The Skinks I know it's because I didn't bring enough, but good lord the Saurus Knights haven't been worth their points even kinda any time I've used them. I'll inflict a wound on something, and so far the mortal wounds on charges have literally never triggered once.

Starting to think I should go all in on Saurus Warriors (at least with what I have), keep using the Scar-Vet on Carnosaur, and try to get another box of Ripperdactyls because they've been shredding the gently caress out of whatever I point them at.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Strobe posted:

Got in another game of Sigmar, this time with:

Scar-Vet on Carnosaur
Trogolodon
1x 20 Saurus Warriors
3x 5 Saurus Knights
1x 10 Skinks
1x 3 Ripperdactyls

The Scar-Vet and Saurus Knights were in the Firelance Starhost battalion.

I lost pretty badly. Did good: Scar-Vet on Carnosaur, Ripperdactyls, Saurus Warriors. Did horrifically godawful: Saurus Knights, Skinks. The Skinks I know it's because I didn't bring enough, but good lord the Saurus Knights haven't been worth their points even kinda any time I've used them. I'll inflict a wound on something, and so far the mortal wounds on charges have literally never triggered once.

Starting to think I should go all in on Saurus Warriors (at least with what I have), keep using the Scar-Vet on Carnosaur, and try to get another box of Ripperdactyls because they've been shredding the gently caress out of whatever I point them at.

Older cavalry units are generally bad across the board. They're only good for threatening objectives but mostly incapable of actually dislodging anyone. At least the models look pretty cool?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is the Nighthaunt Battletome 2.0 or is it older?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Is the Nighthaunt Battletome 2.0 or is it older?

2.0, came out after Soul Wars.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
For my gobbos, I'm thinking a very pale green for their flesh - maybe rakarth, pallid wych flesh, and some light green wash. I want their robes in red. Maybe purple for squigs. I'm gonna have to buy so much paint this weekend.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If you want pale you can probably get away with a Coelia Greenshade over a White basecoat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

I mean if this lets me play a Seraphon right out the box since they're part of the forces of Order I'm game but at the same time I'm pretty sure that won't be the case.

Just confirmed at least one type of Seraphon are playable.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just confirmed at least one type of Seraphon are playable.

Nice, even if I assume it'll be skinks.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
x-posting my pastel boy.

richyp posted:

Painted up a Darkoath Chieftain to add some Slaanesh to my Chaos boys and girls.

Fun fact, he uses all 8 colours of the Citadel Edge Paints(tm)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

richyp posted:

x-posting my pastel boy.

Very nice, presumably his title is Edgelord of the Seeker Host

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Another project I managed to finish in two days. Kinda proud how I managed to get the eyes mostly right. Also it turns out both my Flayed One Flesh and Pallid Wych Flesh end up looking really chalky so the skin didn't end up looking as pale as I wanted it to. Turns out a 2 to 1 ratio of Flayed One/Kislev FLesh ratio didn't help making it that much paler either.
Also if I ever paint another one of those I'm leaving the hair until last because of how it curls in front of the leg.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Could you post a few more of this? I just started painting my Soul Wars Ballista this week and I'm really struggling to pull it together. It's so unlike all of the actual dudes that I can't figure out how to approach it.

Unrelated, but I was reading an article on Reddit titled, "Heroin for middle-class nerds: How Warhammer conquered gaming". In comments I found this post:

quote:

Did they at least remove all of the silly IRL nonsense from AoS again? Or do you still have to be a sexist pig to power up a leader and so on?

I'm only just getting into AoS obviously, so I have no idea what AoSV1 was like. So... wtf is this guy on about?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The sexist pig part was implicit instead of explicit, many units had rules that gave you a benefit for doing something in real life, like making eye contact, insulting your opponent until they reacted or pretending to ride a horse. They’d pretty much all been removed as part of the first General’s Handbook.

Oh the sexist part might have been the bonus to combat certain Empire units got if your real life mustache was nicer than your opponents and I think Dwarves got a beard comparison rule. The designers have mentioned that their intention was you’d wear a fake one if you couldn’t grow one yourself.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 29, 2019

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Sab669 posted:

I'm only just getting into AoS obviously, so I have no idea what AoSV1 was like. So... wtf is this guy on about?

So when AoS first released, the powers that be were insistent on this idea that the game was essentially a role-playing system that would be used to make cool stories. Never mind that the setting, at that moment, was a vaguely defined mystery. Never mind that the two sides were "golden hammer men" and "Khorne(?)". Never mind that there was no system to personalize your guys or get invested in them, one of the strongest points of an RPG!

Anyway, in order to push this idea, the legacy rules for old armies had roleplaying rules around special characters. Mannfred had a rule where you had to pretend to talk to the model in order to get rerolls. If you had Settra, the old Tomb Kings leader, you instantly lost a battle if you knelt for any reason because Settra Does Not Kneel. These are the least embarrassing ones I can remember, and I think they all just made everyone mad.

Nowadays, the story-telling thing is still implied with the Narrative rules, but they're entirely optional and don't involve embarrassing yourself in public. More than playing AoS usually does anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah. That sounds anywhere from Stupid (beard) to Comical (kneeling). But also terrible for a game where you're supposed to dump literal hundreds of dollars on models.