Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

MikeJF posted:

I don't think it was meant to be that Pink Steven is more powerful than the other diamonds, just on a similar tier. It looked impressive, but the only thing he actually did was shrug off their attacks with his shield, and having an completely invulnerable but mostly defensive shield has always been Pink's 'weapon'.

He probably couldn't have beaten her in a straight fight but he only needed to survive.

I think Pink straight up loses to Yellow too? She just footstomps his shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think Pink straight up loses to Yellow too? She just footstomps his shield.

Well the main vulnerability of the shield is a) it can be pushed by enough physical force and b) distress or shock will cause Steven to lose focus and vanish it. So footstomping Steven into the ground is a valid tactic against it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Finding it pretty funny that the original Rainbow Quartz was an elegant club dancer, while the new Rainbow Quartz is possibly the most endearingly dorky Gem we've seen yet. Most of Steven's Gem fusions seem to be like that so far.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Two of Pearl's fusions seem to really enjoy wordplay too. We didn't see enough of Opal or OG Rainbow to get an idea of that.

Which is funny since Amethyst is usually the punster.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
There were a lot of things I liked in this ep, but what stuck out to me were the Earth and Heaven Beetles getting restored into tiny, Pebble-sized Gems. :3:

I wonder if Pink's Space Zoo will be decommissioned. It'd be good for Blue's continuing therapy, the Rose Quartzes can be unbubbled and rejoin Gem society, the Zoomans will need help getting relocated to Earth, the Famethyst can visit Earth, so that's a bunch of potential episodes.

There's probably Gems who will see the change in the Diamonds as weakness and try to start poo poo. So, good excuse to go on a space adventure with Lars, maybe.

There's all these newly-restored Gems kicking around now, all kinds of options there. Who wants to stay, who wants to return to Homeworld, who needs to work out their issues/traumas, who wants to form their own outcast colony, etc.

Is The Cluster content to chill out underground indefinitely, or will it eventually decide to leave Earth?

Wouldn't be SU without townie episodes, which would be a great opportunity to have a episode about Pearl dating Mystery Woman.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

MikeJF posted:

The overthrowing will probably be largely driven by the visibility of an alternative now that the CGs and their little collection of Off-Colors are present and known. Now that gems can see there's another way the Empire will have to reform or collapse.

I for one am excited to see the Gempire Glasnost

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I could see some Homeworld gems with larger personalities like Emerald or Hessonite becoming two-bit bandit kingdom warlords that have to be dealt with in the wake of the Gem Empire’s flattening out socially.

What I’m saying is get Christine Baranski on this show for real goddammit.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I for one am excited to see the Gempire Glasnost
I am excited to see The Tumultuous Nineties which are kinda much more likely to happen when an actual totalitarian regime crashes and burns.
(Also, isn’t it high time for a thread title change)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Foglet posted:

I am excited to see The Tumultuous Nineties which are kinda much more likely to happen when an actual totalitarian regime crashes and burns.

TVIV > Steven Universe: She’s GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE... on hiatus

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Finding it pretty funny that the original Rainbow Quartz was an elegant club dancer, while the new Rainbow Quartz is possibly the most endearingly dorky Gem we've seen yet. Most of Steven's Gem fusions seem to be like that so far.

I think Pearl’s change in personality contributed too. In the original Rainbow Quartz, Pearl’s motivation was love for Rose and jealousy toward Greg. She wanted to show off her love and capability to do something he couldn’t, so Rainbow Quartz would have that sense of showing off something he can’t have.

Now Pearl has embraced her freedom and become an individual apart from her love for Rose. She’s the “fun mom” who can get along with others and move on from trauma. Rainbow Quartz 2.0 thus has Pearl and Steven’s sense of fun and adventure that Pearl had previously suppressed.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
so according to Joe Johnston on instagram, the final sound mixing for the ep was done back in April last year (he says "April 2017", but I'm pretty sure he meant 2018, as the special was still being boarded back in '17)

So the soonest this episode could've realistically aired (Aivi & Surasshu noted that an episode airing a mere month after it's finished, like what happened with Onion Gang, would've been cutting it too close) was last summer.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Might be a weird question, when was the first time 'Love Like You' had lyrics? I kind of want to track the progression of that whole song across the seasons.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm making a bingo card that isn't a blackout for watching it with my friends. Anyone have plausible but not in the episode boxes to suggest?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Foglet posted:

So who gets to play Gem Vladimir Putin?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Senerio posted:

I'm making a bingo card that isn't a blackout for watching it with my friends. Anyone have plausible but not in the episode boxes to suggest?

Lapis & Peridot Fusion

:smith:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
"Where's season six?"
She's GOOOOOOONE

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Senerio posted:

Hmm, "Lapis + Peridot Fusion", "Somebody poofs a Diamond", "White Diamond Sings," "Cookie Cat Returns", "The Zoo Rebellion", "Pearl Barbershop Quartet", "Pebbles Rise Up",

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Senerio posted:

a diamond gets shattered

a diamond is poofed/bubbled

yellow and blue diamonds fuse

Lars saves Steven

Connie loses an eye

white diamond gets a song

pink diamond is revived

greg on homeworld

white pearl is the real white diamond

steven gets poofed

steven fuses with a diamond

steven's gem is cracked

the song of corruption is used on homeworld

the cluster VS white diamond

steven fuses with ruby

steven fuses with sapphire

steven fuses with peridot

steven fuses with lapis

steven fuses with bismuth

steven fuses with lion

all the pebbles fuse together

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

YggiDee posted:

Might be a weird question, when was the first time 'Love Like You' had lyrics? I kind of want to track the progression of that whole song across the seasons.

Jailbreak's credits

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The pool party scene is fun. Clearly this entire show was about how you can solve everyone's problems by taking a bath with your grandma. But the montage in general seems to have a fair few significant little scenes, like the Diamonds looking at the statue fountain of Rose Quartz; their feelings about it are going to be very mixed considering everything they thought they knew has been thrown into a new light, except partly for White who's still learning things about Pink Diamond that she clearly didn't realise. (such as that she was kind of as bad an egomaniac as White)

There's a lot of body language at work in that montage. White's assorted facial expressions, mostly consisting of confusion and maybe worry, Blue kind of perking up as she has an idea that I guess lead to them trying the bubble bath, the statue reaction.

I should rewatch it, there's probably more.

YggiDee posted:

The wiki has it broken down piece by piece https://steven-universe.fandom.com/wiki/Ending_Theme
Has variations in the sidebar, too
I also found a compilation linking the Reprise that's been in use for this season https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKUp6xU2ZMo

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Now we go back to monster of the week but instead they just send the gems straigh to the uncorruption bath and we learn about a new gem everytime. Hey thanks guys, its me, Spinel, and i used to be a Network Administrator.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
That Steven/Steven fusion sequence gets better every time I look at it. Flesh-Steven dancing a few steps in the middle with his feet on top of gem-Steven’s feet until he regains enough strength to stand on his own is a beautiful touch. :3:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Steven convinces Pearl and Peridot to program for his indie title inspired by Golf Quest Mini. It is a vaporware and we skip ahead in time until it releases 14 years later.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Lazlo Nibble posted:

That Steven/Steven fusion sequence gets better every time I look at it. Flesh-Steven dancing a few steps in the middle with his feet on top of gem-Steven’s feet until he regains enough strength to stand on his own is a beautiful touch. :3:

jaaaaames baaaxter

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

jaaaaames baaaxter

the very moment I saw the scene, I said this out loud

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lmao holy poo poo what a godawful finale

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

EasyEW posted:

So who gets to play Gem Vladimir Putin?

Pearl.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pick posted:

The narcissistic mom had a nervous breakdown after she realised she wasn't perfect and ended up accepting the offer of help and reconciliation from her grandson and his gay friends after her snobby perfectionist judgemental ways drove her daughters over the edge and tore the family apart. I mean it was never going to go any other way.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 23, 2019

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
Homeworld destroyed planets and genocided indiginous peoples.

and now

They'll continue to destroy planets and genocide the inhabitants, whilst being slightly gay.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Pick posted:

you know there's many different individual parts of the finale that I like a lot more than Escapism (which I actually really liked). The whole Pink Steven scene especially

However As a Whole, I prefer Escapism

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pick posted:

I will never understand what possesses somebody to think their opinion is so important that they should drop into a discussion that's largely positive to say "thing bad" without explanation.

We don't know who you are, or why we should care that you think thing bad.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Pick posted:

we diamonds are fragile in a way

There's sequence I liked, and realizing that it was trying to make the point that this isn't Steven swooping in and changing things but that Pink had already started work on changing how the diamonds think made thing a little better. It's not really super applicable to everyone's lives though, and doesn't really show how Steven will work in a situation with a bad faith opponent.
Aquamarine is now truly Steven's worst nemesis.

Das Boo posted:

It bothers me a little that Steven never really lost anything/always got everything back. Forgiving people is really loving hard when they have a permanent, unchangeable effect on your world. I'd like to have seen Steven's forgiving nature really challenged by permanence. The closest we ever got was him finding out Rose was selfish, but that's residual and not actually him and his current world. The Diamonds seemed like a really good opportunity for it, being dictators who've already destroyed countless lives and would of course casually destroy yours, but... Steven lost nothing confronting them. Everything repaired pretty much 100%.

I guess I'd have liked to see a show about communication tackle the idea that communication is worth it even with a person who has irreparably impacted you, personally.

Also I know people who are working on season 6. It is 100% A Thing.

I've been wanting to see Steven pushed harder for a long time now. Like ever since end of season one.
Maybe now that Steven has solved all the season one problems they can address things they did not.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I do wonder if that sequence is partially a callback to the first time we found out Garnet is a fusion. Ruby and Sapphire had a similar laughing twirling fusion.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In Ocean Gem we see a stone version of Obsidian's lava sword lying on the ocean floor.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Yoya posted:

and now

They'll continue to destroy planets and genocide the inhabitants, whilst being slightly gay.

Hey, they felt sad for a bit about something unrelated to the genocides, so it's fine and this is a perfectly reasonable resolution.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I added a handful that both happened and didn't happen that I thought were neat so here's a sample card, I used most of the ones from the vanilla card, a bunch of suggestions from the thread, and a few I came up with on my own.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yoya posted:

and now

The Kryptonians will have it coming.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

MikeJF posted:

In Ocean Gem we see a stone version of Obsidian's lava sword lying on the ocean floor.

we actually see it all the way back in Bubble Buddies

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Valleyant posted:

Not really sure if 'talking it out' is a good message for a kids show in today's hellworld. Especially for a show featuring a LGBT allegory and how things keep getting worse.

I'd argue that it is but agree to disagree.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

http://drawendo.tumblr.com/post/182210871396/good-to-have-them-back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

LividLiquid posted:

I will never understand what possesses somebody to think their opinion is so important that they should drop into a discussion that's largely positive to say "thing bad" without explanation.

We don't know who you are, or why we should care that you think thing bad.

Pick has hated the show for a while now I'd have been surprised if she had liked the finale

Pick wrong tho, finale good