Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

StrixNebulosa posted:

There's a new godawful game out called YIIK.

https://imgur.com/a/wmYHCTx

It features something that belongs in this thread.

The diegetic comments about the spooky video seem pretty realistic. If it involves a woman, some CHUD is gonna dump on her looks. The only unbelievable part is that nobody brought up Hitler or (((globalism))).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

xtal posted:

Elisa Lam was also prominently featured in the story of the Black Tapes podcast. Or that other one they make. I forget. I believe it was controversial in this thread at the time.

One of the early episodes of Tanis uses it, but it only shows up as a passing reference one time. They beep out her name so it's not explicitly stated who they're talking about, but it's painfully obvious that it's talking about Elisa Lam. Not sure if they edited more out, but it's not part of the ongoing story.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Azathoth posted:

One of the early episodes of Tanis uses it, but it only shows up as a passing reference one time. They beep out her name so it's not explicitly stated who they're talking about, but it's painfully obvious that it's talking about Elisa Lam. Not sure if they edited more out, but it's not part of the ongoing story.

When it first came out they definitely did not bleep her out, and they spent a fair amount of time talking about her and how she died because she stumbled on whatever dumb bullshit that was about. Between that and the part that just blatantly ripped off House Of Leaves, I dropped Tanis pretty quickly.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Azathoth posted:

The only "mysterious" part of the story is how she got up and in to the water tank, and that's pretty easily explained by the hotel covering it's rear end and saying that everything was secure when it absolutely was not.
It was not. I was pushed off a fire escape in that hotel the previous June. It's a poo poo neighborhood and all sorts of people were in and out of the place without so much as a glance from the anyone at the front desk.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
What's the statue of limitations before you can use a murder victim in your lovely horror fiction? James Ellroy's novel was forty years after the Black Dahlia murder.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Labes for days posted:

We were so moved by this person’s tragic death that we chose to include it in our game in the most tasteless way possible!

This is the exact reason I was so pissed off at LA Noire. :v:

Note to crime writers: DON'T SOLVE REAL MURDERS IN FICTIONAL STORIES YOU ASSHOLES

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Dewgy posted:

This is the exact reason I was so pissed off at LA Noire. :v:

Note to crime writers: DON'T SOLVE REAL MURDERS IN FICTIONAL STORIES YOU ASSHOLES

a chorus of derivative hacks screeches in unison about their unique and definitive take on jack the ripper ("time traveler!", "rogue cop!", "Italian!") but their cries fall on deaf ears

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

christmas boots posted:

a chorus of derivative hacks screeches in unison about their unique and definitive take on jack the ripper ("time traveler!", "rogue cop!", "Italian!") but their cries fall on deaf ears

Being fair I liked Shadow Man's take on that but it was fantastical enough that it didn't matter. :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’m not saying no one can do Jack the Ripper, but everyone has done Jack the Ripper.

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

Miss posted:

In that... they're both elevators? I honestly can't tell in the first whether she's on the outside or the inside of one, there's no details

is there other art that shows this clearer? I really don't see it

Huh. As soon as I saw the cartoon picture, I guessed what it was due to the composition and the similar looking girl. I guess that sort of thing stands out more or less to different people. Maybe because I found the original footage so creepy it stuck in my mind.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Thwomp posted:

True Crime stories tend to just retell the story of the incident.

What this game (and others) are doing is taking the original incident and re-contextualizing it for entertainment purposes.

One is akin to writing about history. The other is fiction.

I mean, there's plenty of scummy True Crime out there too, lauding the killers and long lurid descriptions of their crimes that were clearly written one-handed.

christmas boots posted:

What's the statue of limitations before you can use a murder victim in your lovely horror fiction? James Ellroy's novel was forty years after the Black Dahlia murder.

Probably at least waiting until the people related to the victim are dead so you're not compounding real people's grief with your lovely fanfiction. Though this does get hard to determine since Jack the Ripper keeps time-traveling into new serial killers.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The weird thing to me here, I was just browsing the PSN and had seen that game. It looked bad, and now I have even better reason to avoid it.

There are some fantastical/unexplained stories you can use in your games/movies/books; Jack the Ripper (as previously mentioned), is one such example, but using something like that is... Wrong. I can't explain why using old hooker killing Jack is fine, but that's a lovely way to use a real world mystery, especially if you claim it was important to you, or whatever that guy said.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think the romanticisation of Jack the Ripper is pretty hosed up. I live in the East End of London and there's a tonne of tacky merch and touristy stuff about the killings. It's gross.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

When it first came out they definitely did not bleep her out, and they spent a fair amount of time talking about her and how she died because she stumbled on whatever dumb bullshit that was about. Between that and the part that just blatantly ripped off House Of Leaves, I dropped Tanis pretty quickly.

The cherry on top was that I think they created an interview statement with a fictional friend saying that Elisa wasn't taking any psych medications and that she wasn't suffering from any illnesses. That's a special type of crossing the line. I was getting a weird urge to try Tanis again, and I'm glad this is curing it. That whole first season loved to do stuff like that. Elliot Smith - killed himself because Tanis hosed with his head. Lyle Stevik - killed for getting deep into Tanis (they even had a later plot point hinge around there being a key hidden at the motel).

The Elisa Lam case just feels even worse to reference because conspiracy and true crime nerds would just not let it lie so it still feels recent.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The cherry on top was that I think they created an interview statement with a fictional friend saying that Elisa wasn't taking any psych medications and that she wasn't suffering from any illnesses. That's a special type of crossing the line. I was getting a weird urge to try Tanis again, and I'm glad this is curing it. That whole first season loved to do stuff like that. Elliot Smith - killed himself because Tanis hosed with his head. Lyle Stevik - killed for getting deep into Tanis (they even had a later plot point hinge around there being a key hidden at the motel).

The Elisa Lam case just feels even worse to reference because conspiracy and true crime nerds would just not let it lie so it still feels recent.

Oh yeah, they made a huge thing of her friend who totally knew that she wasn’t actually mentally ill, she just found the horrible secret of whatever.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Taking inspiration or whatever is fine; there are some mysteries out there that we'll never know the answers to, and using those kinds of things as a jumping off point for whatever creative endeavor you're going on is perfectly fine, but if you're using actual events, involving people that still have family to be affected, that's hosed up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Elisa Lam thing always just seemed more sad than creepy to me.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Don't get into Tanis again man, I mean, this is a guy who set his own daughter on fire at the behest of some weird fire priestess named Elisandre

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Elisa Lam thing always just seemed more sad than creepy to me.

It is. But her constant inclusion on creepy or horror or ghost lists is enraging.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

call center manager posted:

Don't get into Tanis again man, I mean, this is a guy who set his own daughter on fire at the behest of some weird fire priestess named Elisandre

What?? :wtc:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
So the whole Gene edited babies thing from China has real scifi horror movie vibes to it. It was bad enough that basically everyone in China in academic position AND the government went "What the holy gently caress".

Non zero chance he gets executed for it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

He got fired shortly afterwards

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The whole black tapes expanded universe stuff is just bad.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Telsa Cola posted:

So the whole Gene edited babies thing from China has real scifi horror movie vibes to it. It was bad enough that basically everyone in China in academic position AND the government went "What the holy gently caress".

Non zero chance he gets executed for it.

I assume you’re talking about this story?

I definitely would not put my money on him being around next year, given the reports of the government’s response.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't the whole point of Buddhism / enlightenment being to escape reincarnation?

Not if you are a bodhisattva. In that case, you are committed to being born over and over again for as long as it takes for every single living being to awaken to the dharma.

That was, according to the legend, the Buddha's original vow.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Zero days. As a rule, you can say whatever you want about dead people.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Terrible Opinions posted:

The whole black tapes expanded universe stuff is just bad.

Even the main show got super dumb after season one.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Larch posted:

Not if you are a bodhisattva. In that case, you are committed to being born over and over again for as long as it takes for every single living being to awaken to the dharma.

Sounds like a raw deal. This is why I don't make vows

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Larch posted:

That sounds terrible. Imagine waiting around for the very last person to awaken and it's just taking them soooooo many lifetimes. Like, it's just you and that one last guy and he just doesn't get it over and over again. Like the kid that never understood multiples of 8 so the whole class is waiting like 10 minutes into recess until he understands, but for eternity.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

xtal posted:

Elisa Lam was also prominently featured in the story of the Black Tapes podcast. Or that other one they make. I forget. I believe it was controversial in this thread at the time.
Yup, that's the one. Tanis. I enjoyed the podcast... when it was actually about the subject promised. But it kept wandering and dragging in weird unrelated stuff that actually happened in some way and I realized the writers didn't actually know what they were doing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Even the main show got super dumb after season one.
I was including the main show in this.

Solice Kirsk posted:

That sounds terrible. Imagine waiting around for the very last person to awaken and it's just taking them soooooo many lifetimes. Like, it's just you and that one last guy and he just doesn't get it over and over again. Like the kid that never understood multiples of 8 so the whole class is waiting like 10 minutes into recess until he understands, but for eternity.
That's kinda the whole point. They're special because they're willing stay behind this long, whereas any normal person would peace out immediately.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

The nice thing is that as a Bodhisattva you won't get mad or impatient because you literally can't.

All traditions I'm familiar with say the actual Shakyamuni Buddha is not a Bodhisattva, he's gone without remainder. The Bodhisattvas are other people.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Rondette posted:

This just reminded me of this, from the Schadenfreude thread

https://twitter.com/serenjty/status...ingawful.com%2F

What is that song and where have I heard it before?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

FireWorksWell posted:

Think that's Ennio Moricone's "Ecstasy of Gold" from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
I didn’t realize the reward money for finding Jayme Closs came from food companies, but she’s getting the $25,000!

“Hormel Foods and Jennie-O say they’ll donate the $25,000 it had offered in reward money for information leading to Jayme Closs directly to the 13-year-old girl.”

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Terrible Opinions posted:

I was including the main show in this.
That's kinda the whole point. They're special because they're willing stay behind this long, whereas any normal person would peace out immediately.

Is it one of those tricks where if you’re not willing then you were never really enlightened after all?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

Is it one of those tricks where if you’re not willing then you were never really enlightened after all?

Nope. You can peace out. You don’t have to take those vows.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/03/bryan-singers-accusers-speak-out/580462/?utm_source=twb

Long promised article about Bryan Singer and his numerous accusers.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Busket Posket posted:

I didn’t realize the reward money for finding Jayme Closs came from food companies, but she’s getting the $25,000!

“Hormel Foods and Jennie-O say they’ll donate the $25,000 it had offered in reward money for information leading to Jayme Closs directly to the 13-year-old girl.”

They were her parents’ employers, so it’s not as random a connection as it might seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

FireWorksWell posted:

^What he said but they've also used it for a few commercials where they talk about determination and the American spirit or whatever, like for Nike or Chrysler or something.