Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Eh, if we'd gone the SF route we'd be looking at an annual income of ~200k. Pretty sure we wouldn't need to be a 45min commute away.

Ahahahahaha.

Edit: that's unfair, you and your spouse could probably afford to live in the city assuming you're willing to have 5 roommates in a two bedroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
We don't have a ton of expenses though. Student loans are paid off, no car payment, no large debt, etc. We literally pay rent/utilities, put a good chunk into savings, and the rest goes to whatever.

We were looking at a gross monthly income just under 15k in SF, so yeah, I think $4k in rent would've been just fine.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

For something close-ish to the Fairmont that isn't too expensive I'd be looking in Capitol Hill, Beacon Hill, or maybe Queen Anne. Let me know if you want any restaurant recs when you get here! Oh, I also heard The Reef pot shop on Capitol Hill is offering a 40% industry discount if you bring a pay stub.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

My sister's moving out of her place on 8th and pine if you want it. Just $2,700 or so and climbing rapidly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
As of 2019, it's more expensive to rent in Seattle proper than Honolulu.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Wife got a better offer in Seattle than Tokyo, so we'll be moving to Seattle in March. I want to live in Seattle proper for the first year, where should I live for ~$1000-1200/mo? That doesn't include any utilities. If we like our first year we'll look for a house in one of the burbs.

I'll more than likely be moving to the Fairmont up there, unless someone in here is looking for a sous/CDC.

Zillow now has rental listings as well, both for houses and apartments. You're going to be paying at least $2k/month for anything with more than one bedroom, and sometimes a one-bedroom will be that much depending on how new it is and in what location.

If you stay close to the downtown core, you can easily get by on public transit -- look for stuff in the following places (ranked anecdotally from most expensive to least): Downtown, Capitol Hill, Ballard, South Lake Union, Belltown, Pioneer Square, Fremont, Wallingford, Queen Anne, Central District. Your commute via public transit from these neighborhoods is going to be 15-30 minutes, depending on how far you are from a main bus route.

Neighborhood map: https://external-preview.redd.it/pwzagNpKKFwB-WmpFD7sZkWa2X9Ec6evrqbjuAwZ9Qs.jpg?auto=webp&s=e8cb665da369950763281cbddaee0b20b8f0e1cb
Metro system maps: https://kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/metro/schedules-maps/maps/system.aspx

The Fairmont is centrally located in downtown, so any bus that goes through Downtown is going to put you off within reasonable walking distance.

Be prepared to be surprised at how expensive everything is here, and how dysfunctional our city government is, and at how visible the drug and homeless crisis is here too. Feel free to PM me if you want; while I'm not in the industry, I do like good food and good drinks and have something of an understanding of the food culture here.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Anyone have a good recipe for a potato espuma? Curious as to the ratios and style of potato that gets best results.

Edit: CDC I lived in the Tower at 801 when I lived in Seattle 17 years ago. They were awesome but a bit higher than your budget indicated. I recommend them if you want to live downtown in a high rise.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 23, 2019

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
We do a good one where I work. I'll ask chef about it tomorrow (I'm FOH).

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Edit: CDC I lived in the Tower at 801 when I lived in Seattle 17 years ago. They were awesome but a bit higher than your budget indicated. I recommend them if you want to live downtown in a high rise.

Haha that's the place my sister is moving out of.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Where does Fraiser live?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

ApolloSuna posted:

Where does Fraiser live?

Elliott Bay Towers, but if you're gonna go whole hog try to get in Niles' building, The Montana.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

esperantinc posted:

Elliott Bay Towers, but if you're gonna go whole hog try to get in Niles' building, The Montana.

The Shangri La is much more affordable though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm pretty sure Tom Douglas is the only person in the industry in Seattle who could afford Frasiers apartment.

Are there any apartment buildings with at least 20 floors that close to the Space Needle?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

poop dood posted:

We do a good one where I work. I'll ask chef about it tomorrow (I'm FOH).

Awesome thanks!

Skwirl posted:

Ahahahahaha.

Edit: that's unfair, you and your spouse could probably afford to live in the city assuming you're willing to have 5 roommates in a two bedroom.

You can afford 4k a month on 200k a year easy. My place in LA was a bit less than 3k and we were easily able to afford that on less than 200k.

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Woooo guys I’m back!

Hope all is well in this hell land industry we work in.

Also lol my rent is 1,200 a month with my roommate so $600. Not to shabby.

Lmao at all these other rent prices.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Republicans posted:

Haha that's the place my sister is moving out of.

Really? What did she think of it? I assume they have remodeled since i was there. I enjoyed my time there.

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Man, it has been tough lately at my place.

I’m trying to work as much as I can, and pick up any shifts possible.

But I’m playing walk the line with the head lady manager / waitress.

There is only 4 of us. It just feels like a battle lately.

Also it’s January and no one makes money.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

A dog and his man posted:

Man, it has been tough lately at my place.

I’m trying to work as much as I can, and pick up any shifts possible.

But I’m playing walk the line with the head lady manager / waitress.

There is only 4 of us. It just feels like a battle lately.

Also it’s January and no one makes money.

We have 4 people in the kitchen and they refuse to hire us a KP. We did £9,000 in food today.

We also all have at least 7 days of holiday to use up before April, so we're all going to get periodically hosed.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Raikiri posted:

We have 4 people in the kitchen and they refuse to hire us a KP. We did £9,000 in food today.

We also all have at least 7 days of holiday to use up before April, so we're all going to get periodically hosed.

I dunno, that sounds like a group vacation to me. Then they'll have to hire someone.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

This was in the IT thread. its strangely relevant to kitchen work too.

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, thread. Saw this, thought of you.

I know I'm gonna do something like this when I leave my terrible job.

Enjoy!

nightly nopetopus
Feb 12, 2018

Possible Dexter.
Defective cat.

A dog and his man posted:

Woooo guys I’m back!

Hope all is well in this hell land industry we work in.

Also lol my rent is 1,200 a month with my roommate so $600. Not to shabby.

Lmao at all these other rent prices.

My rent is the same (it just went up to $1200 this month), and I've been in the market for a new roommate for a month and I'm still looking. My guess is that nobody wants to live here, unless their finances are limited enough (e.g. a student, on disability, etc) to overlook that it's an ugly motel-style building, and the rent increase has put it out of the reach of most such people.

Also, one of our cooks got fired the other day, another is thinking of leaving and two of our three dishwashers are leaving. This potentially means I'll lose one of my days off until it's fixed, and myself and the other main closer are going to be stuck also closing the dishpit in addition to the line on the days one of our departing dishwashers who closes three nights a week works, until he can be replaced.

This has been an incredibly stressful start to the year and it won't let up. My tea habit and being too drat tired are probably the only things really keeping me from getting into the liquor.

Or cracking. That's a distinct possibility too.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Really? What did she think of it? I assume they have remodeled since i was there. I enjoyed my time there.

She loved it for the location but that's probably why the rent is skyrocketing and she just can't afford it anymore.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guess who hosed up and burnt some meatloaves today? This girl. I got out an hour late today because I was doing extra prep, and making new ones. OT is good, but it was still a dumb mistake. Life goes on at least.

Also woo being put back onto the hot foods prep position after like, at least 6 months of not doing it. The lady who's doing it normally is on family leave while her husband recovers from surgery, probably for a month or so. I did good for being out of practice at least.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I hate not doing prep because I get quietly OCD about it when it's not done the way I like even if it's otherwise fine. Onions aren't sliced the right thickness, mac & cheese bites aren't cut into perfect squares, dumb poo poo like that.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
I just got done with an interview for a daytime prep position. It seems super chill and Im actually really excited about getting back in a kitchen again. I tried applying for other not kitchen jobs and wasent getting any bites at all so I reached a point where I had to take something for rent purposes. This job will let me not hate my life while I get some computer toucher certs and get my resume more solid. Also met a beautiful woman at the bar last night and got a date planned for Sunday. So thats nice. Cool thing about working in this industry is you know all the cool spots and look cool by knowing people at said cool spots.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It came from the OSHA thread:

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

iospace posted:

What. The. gently caress.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

That fryer isn't on, and that oil is filthy.

Just got back from almost 2 weeks out sick with C. diff. You guys totally don't want that going rampant in your bowels, let me tell you what.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Just got back from almost 2 weeks out sick with C. diff. You guys totally don't want that going rampant in your bowels, let me tell you what.

Hope your turds are solid again.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

In 2-3 more weeks they will be.

On the upside, I lost a lot of weight. On the downside, I can pretty much only eat broth based soups and yogurt without my innards staging a mutiny.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

iospace posted:

I'm retired from the industry, but I've seen someone drop a 3rd pan of soup or whatever in the fryer to heat it quickly. It actually worked pretty well, and was SLIGHTLY safer since the fryer basket fit the pan like a glove. So it wasn't gonna tip over or anything, but it was still sketchy as gently caress and a boilover would be pretty nasty. And there's not really a super-safe way to remove a hot, greasy, full 3rd pan from a tight-fitting fryer basket. I did my best to keep my distance.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I once worked as a fry cook (100% french fries) at a baseball stadium and this guy would regularly drop like 20 hot dogs into my fryer when it got really busy and he ran out of steamed dogs. That's probably unsanitary right?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

No, that's totally fine. Fried dogs are better anyways.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

iospace posted:

:stonk:

Yeah, that can't be on, you can see the oil instead of the pall of grease smoke.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ApolloSuna posted:

I just got done with an interview for a daytime prep position. It seems super chill and Im actually really excited about getting back in a kitchen again. I tried applying for other not kitchen jobs and wasent getting any bites at all so I reached a point where I had to take something for rent purposes. This job will let me not hate my life while I get some computer toucher certs and get my resume more solid. Also met a beautiful woman at the bar last night and got a date planned for Sunday. So thats nice. Cool thing about working in this industry is you know all the cool spots and look cool by knowing people at said cool spots.

This is one thing I miss about the industry. Of course I rarely go out these days so it doesn't matter much, but still.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Liquid Communism posted:

:stonk:

Yeah, that can't be on, you can see the oil instead of the pall of grease smoke.

You'd think...

https://www.reddit.com/r/OSHA/comments/am4j77/for_those_that_said_this_is_a_set_upfake_thats/

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

As Queen of the Fry Station, I literally just let out a very loud "GAAAH!" to that picture. Then a slighter less loud "YURGH!" after reading CdC's comment on the status of the oil and scrolling back up for a second, wincing glance. I'd get fired in a heartbeat if my fryer and its oil looked like that.

In a desperate, in-the-weeds pinch, we've put pots on the flat top grill, because we only have a two-eye range in our tiny kitchen. Like, the new guy accidentally put gravy in the grits, now we gotta heat up some grits from the walkin, STAT, but the two eyes are already in use. Even in the circus that is my kitchen, I don't think we'd ever think to put pots in the fryer, holy WTF. Eeeech, and since we do our own dish and don't have a machine, that must be a blast, hand washing that filthy oil off the outside of those pots. Hope they pay the dish guys well.

Hot dogs in my fryer, I'd be okay with that. While back, someone came in 2 minutes before closing and ordered something riding a corn tortilla. We cook our scratch-made corn tortillas on the fly, and my grill guy already cleaned the grill since we were slow and wanted to get out ASAP. Corn torts take forever to begin with, and the grill was cooling, so I said "just do it in a sauté on the range" and he said "wait, JD, I have an idea!" and threw it into the fryer. Tortilla came out great, and no pans were dirtied. I could've kissed him.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I pray for my swift death.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No, that's totally fine. Fried dogs are better anyways.

I think vegetarians would expect french fries to be free of hot dog juice though. I'm sure it made the fry oil tastier in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I think vegetarians would expect french fries to be free of hot dog juice though. I'm sure it made the fry oil tastier in the end.

Vegetarians shouldn't be eating fried stadium food.