Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Minish Cap

This is why I usually LP games I've finished before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Wow, I literally just noticed that the staff Ezlo's humanoid form is carrying has his duck head on it. That's a nice little detail.

I like this boss fight a lot, but it can definitely be fairly cryptic to work out what to do (it took me longer than I'd care to admit to try the Gust Jar too). It's definitely very heavy on the "puzzle boss" end of things, but there's a good variety of puzzles involved in the various phases and it makes use of quite a few different items (which I tend to like in a final boss). Weirdly, I never actually thought to try arrows on the first phase, I'm almost surprised they actually work.

Minish Cap is a very solid Zelda game, and I think definitely showed Capcom being more willing to innovate after the Oracle games. I remember being very sceptical when the game first came out that using the Four Swords storyline (and some mechanics) would be a good thing for a single-player Zelda, but it worked surprisingly well and ended up being a refreshing change more than anything else.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I wanna say the four swords adventures crew used 5 gamecubes, 1 to run the game and 4 armed with gameboy players that functioned as "controllers"

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

quote:

4 GameCubes, 4 GBA Players, 4 GCN-GBA cables, a Wii to plug them all into, 4 SD capture cards, 1 HD-PVR, and 2 computers.

Probably need archives for this link.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Ah, yes, THE GIGAQUAD

The greatest technological achievement of our time. Didn't it melt at some point?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If you stretch a GameCube into four dimensions, does it become a HyperGameCube or a GameHyperCube?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

CPColin posted:

If you stretch a GameCube into four dimensions, does it become a HyperGameCube or a GameHyperCube?

Why not cut the confusion and call it a Game Tesseract instead?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

If you haven't got archives, check it out on Baldurk's LP Archive site.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I'm glad I only just caught up to this LP and now I have to watch this:

Minish Cap has been a lot of fun, the art style is really neat, I think Thorn is correct in calling it a good blend of puzzle and action Zeldaing. I think the biggest issue with these portable games so far is having to juggle numerous items around the limited control scheme. These older games really couldn't create a more complex item-based puzzle/encounter without constantly having to switch your items out which is tedious and finnicky, with the right setup on modern controllers you could require the player to use their sword, bow, feather, shield, bombs and weird gimmick item all in rapid succession in a room but having just three of those alternating is a pain. And no, Nintendo, touchscreen drawing and motion controls are not the answer.

I've still yet to play Breath Of The Wild but I'm assuming they moved on from the A/B button system by this point?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I really like the first form of this boss. I'm a big fan of the "rotating orbs that sometimes stop and shoot lasers" boss design.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I really like the first form of this boss. I'm a big fan of the "rotating orbs that sometimes stop and shoot lasers" boss design.

I mean it's good to have options

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TheDarkFlame posted:

I've still yet to play Breath Of The Wild but I'm assuming they moved on from the A/B button system by this point?
Yes, in that you have like four or five "tool" items in the Runes that mostly get used to solve puzzles, and while they're stuck on one button, you can press Down (IIRC) on the D-Pad to switch between them without entering the menu like you need to in other Zeldas. Your melee weapons, bows, and shields are similarly set to different directions on the D-Pad.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Microcline posted:

:frogout:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Microcline posted:

I hate this comment and I love it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wait, why are

gently caress i worked it out as i was typing :saddowns:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh. For some reason I thought only the LP Zone had a thread for these LPs.

I liked the the two DS Zelda games when I played them way back in Middle and High School but I know that's not an incredibly high bar in the long run. All the equipment you get throughout the game as you keep making a pilgrimage to the Temple of the Ocean king allowing you to do everything faster was about the closet to speedrunning something I've ever gotten since I can't be assed to even do time trials in normal games.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

And that's a wrap for Minish Cap. Thanks again MeccaPrime for joining me for this and the previous portable Zeldas! The thread will be on hiatus while more Phantom Hourglass gets recorded, but I'm hoping we'll be back within the next couple months.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Overall, Minish Cap looked surprisingly cute and fun. I like some of the things it did, even if it wasn't all executed all that well.

That said, I doubt anything will ever convince me that the kinstones weren't a waste of time and energy. Especially not when the vast majority of them gave either another kinstone, rupees, or seashells, which are for a literal gacha game for more meaningless collectibles.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Serifina posted:

Overall, Minish Cap looked surprisingly cute and fun. I like some of the things it did, even if it wasn't all executed all that well.

That said, I doubt anything will ever convince me that the kinstones weren't a waste of time and energy. Especially not when the vast majority of them gave either another kinstone, rupees, or seashells, which are for a literal gacha game for more meaningless collectibles.
Kinstones definitely weren't implemented very well. Otherwise, I'd agree with Thorn, that it's probably one of the best of the portable Zeldas, despite my personal fondness for the Oracle games.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
drat, Thorn's running out of portable Zeldas fast. He might have to go back to farming games soon at this rate.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Truthkeeper posted:

drat, Thorn's running out of portable Zeldas fast. He might have to go back to farming games soon at this rate.

He's currently playing a MegaMan clone that's also a roguelike, which is pretty cool. You should check it out.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

I think the rule is that Nintendo should release a new Zelda *just* before Thorn has caught up with all the released games. And this pattern should continue forever.

I am actually seriously wondering what they're gonna do after BotW. More BotW-like open world exploration games, or are they going to focus on dungeons again for the next game? We'll see.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Kinstones definitely weren't implemented very well. Otherwise, I'd agree with Thorn, that it's probably one of the best of the portable Zeldas, despite my personal fondness for the Oracle games.

The problem with kinstones is that they effectively triple the amount of work in the challenge->reward loop. First you find a kinstone, they you fuse the kinstone, then you go to the marked location to collect the reward (which may be another kinstone). One of these steps may involve a challenge but it's mostly tedium.

I guess the idea of whether Minish Cap is one of the best of the 2D Zeldas or one of the worst depends on how you value polish versus ambition. They might not satisfy the desire for exploration, combat, or puzzles, but the art and design displays an absolute mastery of the craft. Although much of the variance between best and worst here likely comes from the fact that all the 2D Zeldas are fantastic (note that I didn't say portable, Phourglass and Soul Train)

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
One of the Wikis has a pretty nice map of Minish Cap's entire overworld:

It's really a pretty tiny world, even by portable Zelda standards. Also, as stated before, the official timeline has established it as canon that the Temple of Time with the fully-functional Master Sword inside has to be somewhere in Hyrule during Minish Cap's events. I'll assume Biggoron is sitting on it.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

ThornBrain posted:

Thanks again MeccaPrime for joining me for this and the previous portable Zeldas!

It was a fun ride, thanks for having me!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's interesting to have Minish Cap take place over the course of a single day, but it would almost have to since the door to the Minish higher realm only opens for a short time.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

One of the other things I remembered is that at the beginning of the LP one of the comments noted that the game gets some credit for having a new antagonist...except that Vaati is for the most part a more generic OoT Gannondorf.

It sort of goes with the problem of plugging new gimmicks/items/characters into the formula instead of shaking up the formula itself.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Microcline posted:

One of the other things I remembered is that at the beginning of the LP one of the comments noted that the game gets some credit for having a new antagonist...except that Vaati is for the most part a more generic OoT Gannondorf.

It sort of goes with the problem of plugging new gimmicks/items/characters into the formula instead of shaking up the formula itself.

Eh, ganondorph was an evil king that took over the world. Vaati was a nobody gnome that used a fancy hat to gain unimaginable power. The only real similarity is wanting the macguffin to obtain godhood.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Eh, ganondorph was an evil king that took over the world. Vaati was a nobody gnome that used a fancy hat to gain unimaginable power. The only real similarity is wanting the macguffin to obtain godhood.

There are flavor differences, but both games tell the same smug rear end in a top hat to ancient evil origin story. Obviously evil wizard shows up at Hyrule Castle under friendly pretexts, betrays them, afflicts Zelda with a mineralogical impediment, takes over Hyrule Castle, and turns into a big inhuman monster before being sealed for later games via the master sword four sword.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
A remake of Link's Awakening was announced at the Nintendo Direct :3:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
About fuckin' time...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Carpator Diei posted:

A remake of Link's Awakening was announced at the Nintendo Direct :3:

Not quite sure what to think of the art style.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's certainly interesting that they apparently fully intend to stick with the square-tile design of the original game. In fact, it seems like Koholint will look exactly the same, just with HD graphics:

See also this guy's tweet:
https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1095822115004207104

I hope they at least change some of the dungeon layouts.

Carpator Diei fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 14, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Carbon dioxide posted:

It looks really similar to the pictures you take in the GBC version

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The goddamn owl is still in there talking about some bullshit, 0/10 game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm not sure what to think about this stealth Pac-Man game either.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It looks like poo poo, but at least THIEF is left-handed again.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Typical Nintendo, a decade late to the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkVF4LZK4co

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It almost looks like old school claymation. I kinda dig the look, won't lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Multi-player Switch Zelda, please!