Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my apartment here in sf is colder than any canadian house in the dead of winter. the heater sounds like a wind tunnel and barely warms the place up and as soon as it turns off you can feel the heat sucking out the cracks around the doors. the windows radiate coldness from like four feet away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also windows in particular are one of those things that nimbys historic district boards get really touchy about changing on existing structures

once you've got wooden frames older than your car you're probably stuck with them

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
my apartment building was constructed around 2000 and i think it was originally condos so the windows are all great and the walls are thick etc. lots of older grandfathered buildings around it though. i like the little trick where as long as you don't do any work on the place, you can leave it as is, but as soon as you want to do anything to upgrade it then you have to do all the code compliance poo poo along with whatever you wanted to do

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
and make sure not to do too much work or else you'll trigger a reassessment and lose that 1970s tax rate

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

my apartment here in sf is colder than any canadian house in the dead of winter. the heater sounds like a wind tunnel and barely warms the place up and as soon as it turns off you can feel the heat sucking out the cracks around the doors. the windows radiate coldness from like four feet away.

its just really funny how there's a whole trend along the west coast of people going "oh well we dont need to fix the housing for cold or heat, It Never Happens Here" as they freeze to death or get baked by the regular "freak heat waves" that have been happening for 40 years

like you hear about this happening in sf, but also greater silicon valley, and like portland and seattle etc

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

every single person in california is an absolute wuss about any weather that isn't perfect

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean it's not exactly freezing to death, i think my apartment stabilizes at about 61 degrees when everything's off and there's no one home

but it's ridiculous that it's so leaky you cannot keep it above 65 unless the heater is actively blowing

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

unless the heater is actively blowing

Don't talk about your mother that way.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

i mean it's not exactly freezing to death, i think my apartment stabilizes at about 61 degrees when everything's off and there's no one home

but it's ridiculous that it's so leaky you cannot keep it above 65 unless the heater is actively blowing

er im not saying you're freezing to death, but rather that like you got a bunch of old people in the area who do freeze to death due to a regionwide refusal to fix the housing stock, just as during the heat waves you have them dying of heat exhaustion cuz it went to 100 outside and the a/c doesn't exist

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Infinotize posted:

every single person in california is an absolute wuss about any weather that isn't perfect

that's because it's so unusual :smug:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

Don't talk about your mother that way.

heater = gun

you have to shoot off a lot to get her warmed up

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

here's a fun recruiter email i got today:

quote:

Do you want to discuss an exciting startup position with the benefits of a top company? Here at Simplr, we offer 24-hour high-quality US-based customer service to enterprise companies, and unlike most startups we have large company financial backing! We need a top Sr. Full-Stack Node.js/Infrastructure Engineer to join our growing team!

customer service node JS full stack infrastructure engineer, oh boy sign me right the gently caress up for that hell

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/Mailchimp/status/1087763439076937729

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

gentrification gone global

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

thanks, i hate it

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Gross.

I read this a few years ago that made them seem better than the average tech company, but it could just be a puff piece. Anyone know anything more?
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/06/technology/mailchimp-and-the-un-silicon-valley-way-to-make-it-as-a-start-up.html

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Every time I've gone to the US i've been completely shocked by how little isolation you nerds are using. Scandigoons have been enjoying 3/4 pane windows for like 30+ years.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tbf i expect that "why can't i build this like it's the 70s" is prolly gonna be asked by the people behind any kinda affordable housing project anyway
Well yeah if you build it to modern standards it becomes a luxury building by default - so much of the housing stock is decrepit poo poo since replacing it has been effectively illegal for decades

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

evil_bunnY posted:

Every time I've gone to the US i've been completely shocked by how little isolation you nerds are using. Scandigoons have been enjoying 3/4 pane windows for like 30+ years.

everything in america is such poo poo, its amazing. infrastructure all hosed up, everything falling apart.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/22/google_chrome_browser_ad_content_block_change/
Wow, fancy that. Web ad giant Google to block ad-blockers in Chrome. For safety, apparently

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Wheany posted:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/22/google_chrome_browser_ad_content_block_change/
Wow, fancy that. Web ad giant Google to block ad-blockers in Chrome. For safety, apparently

I guess I’ll have to get that PiHole spun up then.

I mean, it sucks and all but I’m legit surprised this didn’t get done years ago.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Wheany posted:

nefarious third parties who may sneak in and interfere with your ability to engage with your favorite brands

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Schadenboner posted:

I guess I’ll have to get that PiHole spun up then.

I mean, it sucks and all but I’m legit surprised this didn’t get done years ago.

have you considered...firefox

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I would expect this to get rethought a bit in response to the outcry, honestly.

I'm pretty sure the intention behind removing the old api isn't actually nefarious banning-ad-blockers stuff, it's simply that if the old api still works then absolutely nobody is going to bother to migrate and so you don't actually get any of the performance benefits they're aiming for.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up still allowing stuff to use the old api, but required a new permission with way more scary warning text (to discourage extension developers who don't actually need it from going that route).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

everything in america is such poo poo, its amazing. infrastructure all hosed up, everything falling apart.
I mean there's lots of nice stuff (if you're a loaded fatcat) but *SO much* of the day to day infrastructure just felt disposable compared to what I'm used to.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I had a friend who decided to go "digital nomad" for almost two years. She spent about half the time going around Mexico and South America (she spoke fluent Spanish and was pretty outgoing, so she had a ton of fun there) and the other half bouncing between Japan and Thailand (where she got really into muay thai training).

One thing she learned, that they almost certainly won't mention in that series, is that she was breaking the law pretty much the whole time by working in those countries without a work permit, and she had to keep her head low and have cash on hand to bribe cops who decided to hassle her when they realized she wasn't a tourist.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

gonadic io posted:

have you considered...firefox

:vomarine:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

LanceHunter posted:

I had a friend who decided to go "digital nomad" for almost two years. She spent about half the time going around Mexico and South America (she spoke fluent Spanish and was pretty outgoing, so she had a ton of fun there) and the other half bouncing between Japan and Thailand (where she got really into muay thai training).

One thing she learned, that they almost certainly won't mention in that series, is that she was breaking the law pretty much the whole time by working in those countries without a work permit, and she had to keep her head low and have cash on hand to bribe cops who decided to hassle her when they realized she wasn't a tourist.

yeahp

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

free movement of capital but restricted movement of labor ftw!!!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

LanceHunter posted:

can’t make a disruptive omelette without breaking a few laws

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Jabor posted:

I would expect this to get rethought a bit in response to the outcry, honestly.

I'm pretty sure the intention behind removing the old api isn't actually nefarious banning-ad-blockers stuff, it's simply that if the old api still works then absolutely nobody is going to bother to migrate and so you don't actually get any of the performance benefits they're aiming for.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up still allowing stuff to use the old api, but required a new permission with way more scary warning text (to discourage extension developers who don't actually need it from going that route).

you know what also gives performance benefits? blocking ads.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I whitelisted a site I frequently read and was greeted with an uncloseable video ad that moved down the page and blocked half the article I was trying to read

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
some finnish news sites have autoplay videos with preroll ads and when the preroll fails, it will show an error "unable to play video, error loading advertisment" and i cry every time. no... my autoplay video :negative:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

incels interlinked posted:

I whitelisted a site I frequently read and was greeted with an uncloseable video ad that moved down the page and blocked half the article I was trying to read

whitelist nothing, no mercy to advertisers

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
a reminder that this is tonight

quote:

ABC documentary on Theranos features ex-CEO deposition tapes

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A television documentary about the rise and fall of Theranos Inc will include deposition tapes from founder and former Chief Executive Elizabeth Holmes and other key players in the downfall of the high-tech blood-testing company.

ABC News said on Wednesday that “The Dropout” was the result of a three-year investigation of the self-made Silicon Valley entrepreneur and her company, which was worth as much as $9 billion before it became clear that many of its claims were bogus.

The documentary will be previewed on ABC’s “Nightline” program on Jan. 23, with a six-part podcast launched the same day. An air date for the full documentary has yet to be announced. ABC released a trailer for the podcast on Wednesday

Theranos founder Holmes, 34, and the now-defunct company’s former president Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani, were indicted by the U.S. Department of Justice in June 2018 on charges they engaged in schemes to defraud investors, doctors and patients.. Both have pleaded not guilty.

ABC, a unit of Walt Disney Co, said “The Dropout” will feature the first sit-down interview with Balwani’s attorney, as well as never-before-aired deposition tapes of Balwani, Holmes, three former members of the Theranos board, and others.

Attorneys for Holmes did not return a request for comment on the ABC documentary.

Theranos grabbed headlines and funding 10 years ago by claiming it could perform a full range of clinical tests using tiny blood samples drawn from a finger stick. Prosecutors allege that Holmes and Balwani knew their device had accuracy and speed issues.

Rebecca Jarvis, ABC News chief business, technology and economics correspondent, said she had been investigating Theranos for years.

“I’ve been covering business for more than a decade, from the housing collapse to the fall of Bear Stearns, to the Bernie Madoff scandal,” Jarvis said in a statement. “But none of these comes even close to the mystery and intrigue of Elizabeth Holmes.”

The Theranos story is also the subject of a feature film in development called “Bad Blood” that is expected to star Jennifer Lawrence. The movie is based on the May 2018 book of the same name by Wall Street Journal reporter John Carreyrou, whose work first exposed Theranos.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/felixsalmon/status/1087863591288651776

Bolsonaro famously said he would rather his son die than come out as gay

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

'surely the leopards won't eat my face'

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol he was also palling around with mike "zap the evil gay from your brain" pence

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
tim would force himself straight if it meant a higher earnings quarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

capitalists are bad news at 11