Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Goober Peas posted:

Mostly east coast and urban centers. That may be why.

I'm in the Chicago area and interstates are very regularly 60-75+ in the far left lane. It's the 3rd most populous metro area. I mean it's not 75MPH downtown obviously, but a few miles outside sure it can be.

I think it's irritating when people are going 40-50MPH in the middle lane with no one in front of them, but a lot of people do. Let alone in the left lane.

eyebeem posted:

I'm in the US.

God this is lovely, it's probably a typo that got past multiple reviews. 275HP vs 375HP. If their website review process is this bad..

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Has any manufacturer ever taken an SUV and stuck sliding doors on second row?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I don't know, but if Ford got a bug up their rear end and put sliding doors on a Flex I'd be at the dealer tomorrow.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Apparently you can get a Ford has a wheel chair accessible Explorer. Nevermind it's a conversion.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The $45k CAD Ranger I built wasn't even fully loaded, and didn't include a bunch of electronic options that Toyota includes on a base Corolla.

It's a loving joke, Ford is a poo poo company, and they're going to sell a fuckton of Rangers

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

Mostly east coast and urban centers. That may be why.

I live in Massachusetts and while a number of minor highways are still 55 mph limit, nobody actually drives 55 mph, generally averaging 65-70. Most of the major highways are 65 mph and people generally drive 75-80 on them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Something Offal posted:

Who the hell goes 48 MPH on an interstate? Why is that the EPA test cycle?

Maybe because:

quote:

As an emergency response to the 1973 oil crisis, on November 26, 1973, President Richard Nixon proposed a national 50 mph (80 km/h) speed limit for passenger vehicles and a 55 mph (90 km/h) speed limit for trucks and buses. Nixon partly based this on a belief that cars achieve maximum efficiency between 40 and 50 mph (65 and 80 km/h) and that trucks and buses were most efficient at 55 mph (90 km/h).

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
blasting down an interstate at 90mph owns

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I was just muttering on FB that if Chrysler lifted and tweaked a Pacifica and claimed it was the first three row SUV with a sliding door, it would sell like hotcakes. Nobody would even blink at the fact that it was an FWD SUV, as long as the styling suggested the right level of testosterone poisoning.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I wonder if the sliding door mechanism would put too much weight too high up, thereby making the CoG even higher than it would be thanks to the lift?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

1337JiveTurkey posted:

The US06 supplemental federal test procedure is designed to hit a representative profile of acceleration, deceleration and constant speed driving at a representative profile of speeds for the average highway driver. Anything over 75 mph doesn’t happen enough to justify including it in the test or creating yet another test procedure.

Any highway in the southwest the speed limit is 75, so it happens every time I leave the city.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The highways around the city here have a 55mph speed limit but if you aren't doing 70-80 you aren't keeping up with traffic.

If everyone decided to do the speed limit, the city would be in instant gridlock that would never let up.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

Any highway in the southwest the speed limit is 75, so it happens every time I leave the city.

But in practice you also run into traffic on common routes and that slows you down and that tends to happen more often in large cities with lots of people. This document goes into detail about the different methods the EPA used to determine how the average driver drives. The international WLTC (used in the EU and Asia) has a similar document that shows how its test profile was constructed. It's worth pointing out that WLTC 3b also doesn't spend much time at high speeds either and it's a million times better than what it replaced.

I should also clarify that US06 does include some higher speed sections but the case for adding more is pretty much anecdotal. The US06 allocates about 24 seconds of its time driving from about 75-80 mph and about a minute or so overall out of 10 minutes driving at over 70 mph. Information on EPA, CARB and the old Japanese and EU driving profiles can be found here.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Wind resistance increases dramatically as a factor of both speed and frontal area so making the test faster would impact the rated and CAFE fuel economy of profitable trucks and large SUVs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jesus gently caress, don't post that poo poo in line, link it or something

Glad i won't be able to see anything higher than the badge in my rear view.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

Wind resistance increases dramatically as a factor of both speed and frontal area so making the test faster would impact the rated and CAFE fuel economy of profitable trucks and large SUVs.

Lol Jesus Christ this is so loving dumb looking

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to see armies of those with a lift and ugly as gently caress black wheels that never leave the left lane. Eventually I'll be able to see under the trucks, so that's a plus I guess?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

eyebeem posted:

Just FYI but the V8 NV3500 has a 375HP V8 with a 7spd.

Its cool that it has the engine with BIG NUMBERS, but even with that its still slow as gently caress. Its a big, heavy box that doesn't move no matter what you do to it.
Also, it is the worst van because it sacrifices precious cargo space for useless engine space.

Personally having driven a variety of vans now, the Transit is my favorite. LWB with the medium roof, V6 EcoBoost is pretty much the perfect van. Enough room to stand comfortably in the back, not too huge a van, and overall a pretty comfortable area up from. Being surrounded by cupholders in nice too. The only issues we ever had with them was the driveshaft recall, and they tend to eat brakes kinda quickly. Otherwise they're pretty nice vans.

I guess the Savanna/Express is a good enough van too, but it also hasn't had any significant updates since 1997 and man does it show.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

LOOK AT THIS

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

LOOK AT THIS

no

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

KakerMix posted:

LOOK AT THIS

Hm.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I really think the best looking pickup was the late 90s F-150. Look at this:

Update the engine and transmission in that, give it some modern tech toys, improve the crash safety a bit, sell it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

Update the engine and transmission in that, give it some modern tech toys, improve the crash safety a bit, sell it

I had an 01 and loved it. My nephew's earliest memories of anything automotive is that pickup. I used to drive that thing bouncing off the governor pretty much everywhere, then for some mysterious reason the transmission went.

used lightnings are still $15k+ with 120k miles despite being slower than a new ecoboost.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Loling at these brodozers when we in the southern hemisphere have been blessed with the Ute

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KakerMix posted:

LOOK AT THIS

Please no, my eyes are in pain

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Solus posted:

Loling at these brodozers when we in the southern hemisphere have been blessed with the Ute

Have they ever made an extended cab ute?

I mean other than the Brat :v:

edit: OOH AND THE BAJA

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 23, 2019

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Solus posted:

Bogan, please.

FuturePastNow posted:

The bullnose F150 is the ugliest one.

Bricknose is best f150

E: almost every single expat from the UK I've met has bought a pickup upon moving here to Texas. I mean most of them do horse things or work on their houses so they really do come in handy. In February I'll be taking the horse up to Austin for a clinic and will have all the stall bedding, feed, and hay in the bed, our luggage in the cab, and the horse and her tack in the trailer. Pickups are so great.
E2: Mira

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 23, 2019

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Frankly the immigration problem Texas has is people moving here to role-play a cowboy

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

My favorite part of this generation is the abysmal crash test results

https://money.cnn.com/2001/06/04/home_auto/pickups_crash/

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BloodBag posted:

Bogan, please.

The bullnose F150 is the ugliest one.

Bricknose is best f150

E: almost every single expat from the UK I've met has bought a pickup upon moving here to Texas. I mean most of them do horse things or work on their houses so they really do come in handy. In February I'll be taking the horse up to Austin for a clinic and will have all the stall bedding, feed, and hay in the bed, our luggage in the cab, and the horse and her tack in the trailer. Pickups are so great.
E2: Mira

Seventh gen 4 lyfe. :respek:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FuturePastNow posted:

I remember when truck fans were ragging on this pickup for being too "feminine-looking" compared to the last gen.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CornHolio posted:

Have they ever made an extended cab ute?

I mean other than the Brat :v:

edit: OOH AND THE BAJA

Well that, and we call the double cab Hilux/Ranger/Colorado/Amarok/Navara/X-Class things utes too.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Proud Christian Mom posted:

blasting down an interstate at 90mph owns

This is literally impossible anytime anywhere in Florida. Perfectly straight and flat roads, clogged up with old people. They never sleep!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I think the Honda Ridgeline is probably the only pickup most people will ever need.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I live in Massachusetts and while a number of minor highways are still 55 mph limit, nobody actually drives 55 mph, generally averaging 65-70. Most of the major highways are 65 mph and people generally drive 75-80 on them.

This is what I find. Left lane is usually 10-15 mph over hr posted limit

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

I think the Honda Ridgeline is probably the only pickup most people will ever need.

I can rent pickups at Lowe's lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

euphronius posted:

This is what I find. Left lane is usually 10-15 mph over hr posted limit

hello i am noted divided highway state route 2 between Concord and 128 where there is a posted speed limit of 45 and left lane drives 70

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Elephanthead posted:

This is literally impossible anytime anywhere in Florida. Perfectly straight and flat roads, clogged up with old people. They never sleep!

I was coming up I-75 Sunday night towards Tampa and saw a lot of people going 90+. I'm allergic to speeding tickets and legal fees so I was going maybe 77 in a 70 mph and was getting passed like I was standing still

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is the highway between Buffalo and Toronto? That’s The fastest highway I’ve ever been on in terms of how fast people were going. Maybe some portions of I 95 too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I can rent pickups at Lowe's lol

you can rent one pickup, if it's available