Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The boss of Pets at Home, the nation’s biggest pet supplier, said his company had started stockpiling essentials – including cat food – as “we don’t want families to run out of food for their pets” after Brexit day on 29 March.

after Brexit the pets are the food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The boss of Pets at Home, the nation’s biggest pet supplier, said his company had started stockpiling essentials – including cat food – as “we don’t want families to run out of food for their pets” after Brexit day on 29 March.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
didn't y'all murder your pets like right at the onset of the blitz unnecessarily

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Time to get rabbits

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I'm sorry, but from the outside this is the funniest poo poo.

you're doing it to yourselves

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

nikosoft posted:

I'm sorry, but from the outside this is the funniest poo poo.

you're doing it to yourselves

at least we're stuck with trump for 4 years unless he dies, you lot can get off mrs. may's wild ride at any time

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Raskolnikov38 posted:

at least we're stuck with trump for 4 years unless he dies, you lot can get off mrs. may's wild ride at any time

But they don't want to! Or to be fair; apparently a large part of them doesn't want to and thinks this is fine and they are the strongest party in the negotiations.

Imperialism! (Said like the Aristocrats)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
probably posted on here already but

https://twitter.com/keewa/status/1085923966206791680

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Pardon my language but JK Rowling is dookie water

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

i hope cat food doesnt taste too bad

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

First mass pet poisoning after they start importing pet food from the US is gonna be w9999ah

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

This poo poo is unreadable lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Takes some guts to have a guy faking a working class accent be a bad guy when you write something this hosed up.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Fans posted:

Takes some guts to have a guy faking a working class accent be a bad guy when you write something this hosed up.

Rowling's Editor: I don't really like this paragraph, it reads like a rich person's idea of a working class accent
Rowling: Now THERE'S an idea!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

XMNN posted:

i hope cat food doesnt taste too bad

It's pretty bad, but if you wait til the evening and drink some beer, huff some glue, then stuff it down as quickly as possible, you'll soon feel sick and sleepy. Then you need to go to bed asap.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

30.5 Days posted:

Rowling's Editor: I don't really like this paragraph, it reads like a rich person's idea of a working class accent
Rowling: Now THERE'S an idea!

lol if you think she has editors

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/keewa/status/1086044987157028865

smoking, he took out his "I <3 terrorism" membership card

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"we are in fact worse than the tories" said jermy cobinsworth, looking directly at the camera "we want to steal the money of hard-working job creators like j.k rowling" he continued to no-one

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

JK randomly placing that "innit" and kissing her fingers italian chefishly

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I've read the book and it's really dumb. The most ridiculous strawman left-wing cause Rowling could come up with is 'the Olympics are a waste of money and will lead to gentrification'

The murder victim is a Conservative minister straight out of central casting with big house in Oxfordshire and wife obsessed with horses

There's a Lib Dem minister (it's set in 2012) who is basically David Blunkett but female and saintly

Surprisingly Joromy Crobyn turns out not to be the villain and has a pretty legitimate grievance but he's also implied to be a sexual predator so yeah, book bad

E: there's also a scene where our hero has to race against time to stop Crobyn exposing said Conservative minister's complicity in war crimes in Africa

Gato has issued a correction as of 14:32 on Jan 23, 2019

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Howard_Goodall/status/1087667496130396162?s=19

Sony's out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gato posted:

I've read the book and it's really dumb. The most ridiculous strawman left-wing cause Rowling could come up with is 'the Olympics are a waste of money and will lead to gentrification'

Isn't that just straight-up true, though?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

prefect posted:

Isn't that just straight-up true, though?

That's the point: to J.K. if you're not licking her Blairite mates' boots (or cis) you are a dangerous extremist

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gato posted:

E: there's also a scene where our hero has to race against time to stop Crobyn exposing said Conservative minister's complicity in war crimes in Africa

Can that be real?

twoday
May 4, 2005

E: Brexited this post about the EU over to the Eurothread

twoday has issued a correction as of 15:48 on Jan 23, 2019

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

First mass pet poisoning after they start importing pet food from the US is gonna be w9999ah

the poison pet food comes from china

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
is that the same Rowling book where the Momentum thug who was anti-zionist slowly but surely becomes anti-semitic because lol those are totally the same thing?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Is this why I started hating the Harry Potter books after I turned eleven? Because reading those exerpts her writing feels atrocious. I'm just not sure if it's because I don't like her writing or because I hate her politics.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Gato posted:

the british "true allegiance"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

candle and flower wholesalers are distraught I bet

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

An insane mind posted:

Is this why I started hating the Harry Potter books after I turned eleven? Because reading those exerpts her writing feels atrocious. I'm just not sure if it's because I don't like her writing or because I hate her politics.

I'm convinced that her willingness to listen to editors directly correlates against her rise in fame, because the original books were as short as novellas and quite tightly written and they grew ever larger and ever more in need of said editor

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Obliterati posted:

I'm convinced that her willingness to listen to editors directly correlates against her rise in fame, because the original books were as short as novellas and quite tightly written and they grew ever larger and ever more in need of said editor

yeah the last few books were completely unedited (she did her own "editing") and it shows, they're huge sprawling messes where hundreds of pages are devoted to minutia and the actual conflicts of the series get resolved like afterthoughts

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I remember stopping reading her books after the fifth one, is that when it went to poo poo?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I can't stop thinking about the guy from Kenya who voted Leave specifically in the hopes that it would hurt Britain

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/tpgcolson/status/1088059799160410112

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"sovereignty", say people who want to sell off everything not nailed to the floor

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Obliterati posted:

Absolutely. You can look at the books on a shelf and pinpoint the exact moment the series blew up and she became powerful enough to push back on being edited (it's between books 3 and 4).

To be fair, the publisher also had a strong interest in lightly editing the books at that time - spending six months going back and forth, tightening up the manuscript and doing rewrites meant delaying work on the next HP book by six months, as well as giving Pottermania six more months to cool down. In their place, I would have cranked them out as fast as Rowling sent them in too.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Death cultists

edit - absolute lmao at the room full of gammons in the second post

Barry Foster has issued a correction as of 16:56 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

genericnick posted:

Can that be real?

It makes a bit more sense in context (Strike is being paid by the minister in question) but otoh Strike (who is portrayed as having an infallible correct moral compass) does not express a single moment of self doubt, only satisfaction at punching a loony leftie, and the whole thing is written like it's Tom Cruise breathlessly racing to defuse a nuclear bomb